Menu

Religion question: What am I?

Oh, I had this long, pleading question and explanation typed out, but I took too long, got logged out and lost it.

So, maybe the short and simple version. If I'm desperately in search of a new church home, and I think the place linked below might be the perfect church for me, but I it's in New York and I live in Florida, what denominations/movements should I research to see if there is anything like it close to me?

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/

Well, as a poor dumb lost soul who was christened Catholic, raised flaming Southern Baptist, and was confirmed 4 years ago as an LCMS Lutheran, I give you the following possibilities:

A) United Church of Christ (based on the inclusiveness of the linked church and the whole social justice tab)

B) Liberal Methodist or Presbyterian. Forgive me for not knowing the various flavors of Presbyterianism. I've not had much experience with them. Someone much more knowledgeable can give you the specific letters.

C) ELCA Lutheran. Non-literal Bible translation, accepting of homosexual clergy, crunchy-ish.

Welcome to Jesus! I'm so happy for you!

Well, as a poor dumb lost soul who was christened Catholic, raised flaming Southern Baptist, and was confirmed 4 years ago as an LCMS Lutheran, I give you the following possibilities:

A) United Church of Christ (based on the inclusiveness of the linked church and the whole social justice tab)

B) Liberal Methodist or Presbyterian. Forgive me for not knowing the various flavors of Presbyterianism. I've not had much experience with them. Someone much more knowledgeable can give you the specific letters.

C) ELCA Lutheran. Non-literal Bible translation, accepting of homosexual clergy, crunchy-ish.

Welcome to Jesus! I'm so happy for you!

It varies widely, but in general:

Presbyterian USA would be more likely to be "liberal" or at least "liberal friendly"

Presbyterian PCA is more likely to be conservative and evangelistic in culture

Oh, I had this long, pleading question and explanation typed out, but I took too long, got logged out and lost it.

So, maybe the short and simple version. If I'm desperately in search of a new church home, and I think the place linked below might be the perfect church for me, but I it's in New York and I live in Florida, what denominations/movements should I research to see if there is anything like it close to me?

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/

:):)

I used to play a handbell concert at that church every year.

We went during the years Dr. Coffin was Senior Pastor. I saw him later at another setting.

I can see why you'd like this church:

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/socialjustice/

:grouphug::)

Jenny, what are you looking *for* and would UU not work for you?

Their website says their affiliations are with the United Church of Christ and the American Baptist Churches USA. So I'd start there. Or, as already suggested, contact the church itself and ask if there are affiliated/related churches in your area.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

In our area I know that many of my friends who have similar values attend the Unitarian Universalist church in Orlando. They like it there. But it will be less formal looking than that church you linked looked. Episcopal is another thought, although some in our diocese are more conservative leaning the one I attend definitely is not. In fact, all the conservative members left, including the pastor, and the ones remaining (and the new priest...a woman) are relaxed and open minded. Would be a drive for you though I think. Anyway, I'd check Episcopal but each one will be different, ECLA Lutheran, or Unitarian Universalist, but know that that last one won't be specifically Christian.

Their website says their affiliations are with the United Church of Christ and the American Baptist Churches USA. So I'd start there. Or, as already suggested, contact the church itself and ask if there are affiliated/related churches in your area.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

:iagree: one of my grandfathers was an American Baptist minister (MUCH different than Southern Baptist and very hard to find down here except as historically black churches since they were the Baptists opposed to slavery) and the other was Congregationalist, which was folded into UCC (in which my father was also ordained). Both of them are pretty heavy on social justice and diversity/inclusiveness.

What is it that especially appeals about that church? Is it the inclusiveness and diversity? You want something that specifically focuses on Christ and emphasizes social consciousness too?

Jenny, what are you looking *for* and would UU not work for you?

In our area I know that many of my friends who have similar values attend the Unitarian Universalist church in Orlando.

I've been a UU all of my adult life. I started attending my first UU fellowship when I was in college, which is now more than a couple of decades ago. My husband and I were married at our UU church in New Jersey. We live next door to the larger UU church in Orlando, and it's where we've gone since we moved here when my daughter was a toddler. My son was dedicated there.

I've always had an uneasy connection to the UUs. I chose the church intitially because it was the one place I didn't feel like I was expected to believe any specific thing, that accepted my "I believe in something but can't say what" stance on most theological issues and, at that point, that was making a serious, intentional effort to be radically welcoming. And I still like those things about the UUs.

However, every few years, I get itchy, start feeling like UU just isn't enough, start seeing the whole thing as a little silly. I'll go to a service at the Episcopal cathedral, which hosts the choir with which my son sings, and while the actual religious messages make me uncomfortable, there are things about those services that feed me, spiritually, in a way my own chuch never has. I complain for a while, start researching churches on the internet, visit a few, realize I don't like anything better, and decide that the UUs are like family: They aren't perfect, and sometimes they get on my nerves, but they're what I've got.

This time feels different, though. My kids are older. My son, the only one of us who still feels determined to keep up connections to the UU church, is old enough (and we're close enough) to walk over and manage that himself. My daughter, who was vocal about insisting we should stay, rarely goes any longer and will likely be moving out of town within a year. We had a conflict with the church leadership last fall, and while I'm over it, it feels like something was truly lost in the process.

So, since I'm not feeling familial about this particular UU chuch any longer, and since I've been antsy for many years to look elsewhere, it feels like the time to get serious about it.

Things I love about the UUs:

- the social justice emphasis.

- the radical inclusiveness.

- the willingness to explore a wide variety of religious traditions, drawing what resonates to allow each person to build a personal theology. (Honestly, though, after 30 years with the denomination, I can tell you that's more theory than practice.)

Things with which I struggle:

- the lack of depth in spirituality. I'd be totally cool with hearing sermons about pagans one week and Jews the next and Muslims the week after that, if there was any actual depth of teaching about any of them.

- the lack of ritual.

- the fact that the choirs are usually just bad.

- the lack of emphasis on beauty and sacredness during worship.

Reasons why I haven't felt at home in other churches I've visited:

- Although I feel a deep connection to the Jesus story, I interpret the mystical elements (virgin birth, resurrection) as metaphor. I absolutely accept the existence of a historical Jesus, but many of the aspects of the story emphasized in traditional churches get in the way for me.

- I am not a person who can pay lip service, "fake it 'til I make it."

- Even though my view of Jesus isn't traditional, I'm finding myself leaning much more Christian than anything else. (And, if you knew me, you'd be blown away by that statement.) Christianity, I've come to accept, is a cultural touchstone for me, and I am unlikely to stray too far.

You might want to try a United Methodist Church. We have people in our church who are at variety of places on the "Christian" spectrum and all are welcomed.

As for things like Church choirs well that can vary depending on the talent at the church. :) Ours is pretty good but I enjoy when we do more contemporary music.

:grouphug:

I've been a UU all of my adult life. I started attending my first UU fellowship when I was in college, which is now more than a couple of decades ago. My husband and I were married at our UU church in New Jersey. We live next door to the larger UU church in Orlando, and it's where we've gone since we moved here when my daughter was a toddler. My son was dedicated there.

I've always had an uneasy connection to the UUs. I chose the church intitially because it was the one place I didn't feel like I was expected to believe any specific thing, that accepted my "I believe in something but can't say what" stance on most theological issues and, at that point, that was making a serious, intentional effort to be radically welcoming. And I still like those things about the UUs.

However, every few years, I get itchy, start feeling like UU just isn't enough, start seeing the whole thing as a little silly. I'll go to a service at the Episcopal cathedral, which hosts the choir with which my son sings, and while the actual religious messages make me uncomfortable, there are things about those services that feed me, spiritually, in a way my own chuch never has. I complain for a while, start researching churches on the internet, visit a few, realize I don't like anything better, and decide that the UUs are like family: They aren't perfect, and sometimes they get on my nerves, but they're what I've got.

This time feels different, though. My kids are older. My son, the only one of us who still feels determined to keep up connections to the UU church, is old enough (and we're close enough) to walk over and manage that himself. My daughter, who was vocal about insisting we should stay, rarely goes any longer and will likely be moving out of town within a year. We had a conflict with the church leadership last fall, and while I'm over it, it feels like something was truly lost in the process.

So, since I'm not feeling familial about this particular UU chuch any longer, and since I've been antsy for many years to look elsewhere, it feels like the time to get serious about it.

- the willingness to explore a wide variety of religious traditions, drawing what resonates to allow each person to build a personal theology. (Honestly, though, after 30 years with the denomination, I can tell you that's more theory than practice.)

- the lack of depth in spirituality. I'd be totally cool with hearing sermons about pagans one week and Jews the next and Muslims the week after that, if there was any actual depth of teaching about any of them.

- the lack of ritual.

- Although I feel a deep connection to the Jesus story, I interpret the mystical elements (virgin birth, resurrection) as metaphor. I absolutely accept the existence of a historical Jesus, but many of the aspects of the story emphasized in traditional churches get in the way for me.

- Even though my view of Jesus isn't traditional, I'm finding myself leaning much more Christian than anything else. (And, if you knew me, you'd be blown away by that statement.) Christianity, I've come to accept, is a cultural touchstone for me, and I am unlikely to stray too far.

:grouphug::grouphug: As you probably know, I feel a lot of the same spiritual affiliation challenges.

There are certainly those in the Episcopal church that feel as you do about things. (i'm more traditional regarding miracles and such, but agree with you on the inclusiveness part). There are a bunch of Episcopal churches in the area, maybe one other than the Cathedral would fit you better? (i've never been real impressed with the sermons at the Cathedral, but I have only been a few times). I love our little church in Maitland, and then the one in Winter Park, All Souls, has several options of formal and less formal I believe. You might want to read "Why the Church must Change or Die", written by a former Episcopal Bishop. I think I have a copy and can lend it to you. Heck, you can probably have it...I hated it, lol, but sounds like you might like it.

This is going to sound ridiculous. But did you know there is a quiz you can take to give you an idea of what you believed etc?

Not at all ridiculous, thank you. I've actually done the quiz a number of times. I usually get a very high percentage UU, closely followed by liberal Quakers and a few other, similar denominations. Unfortunately, I think the quiz has some limitations, including the fact that it doesn't ask about style of worship.

It's a good thought, though.

:grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug: As you probably know, I feel a lot of the same spiritual affiliation challenges.

I do, and I'll send hugs right back your direction. It's a tough place to be, isn't it?

I don't know much about these churches, other than the inclusivity aspect, but what about MCC churches? Is there one near you? I've never seen one, or been to a service, but I knew someone that really enjoyed the one he joined.

I posted this option, knowing from past posts that you are willing and interested in inclusiveness. I realize that there are people on the board that will not be comfortable with this option. Hopefully there will be kindness shown, rather than judgement.

Edited by Jan in SC
More info

- the lack of ritual.

You actually sound quite similar to me in your thinking. This is why I'm at a UCC/UU church even though there are lots of straight-up UCC and UU churches around. The UU churches I've visited don't "feed" me; they've seemed more about social justice than spirituality, and yeah, I feel like at least in the ones I've visited their Christian roots have gotten thrown out with the bathwater.

The UCC is a very liberal Christian church, yet their services are fairly traditional. Our church, even part UU, still has monthly communion and we follow the liturgical year (although the service itself doesn't follow a liturgy/script as you'd find in an Episcopal church, though we do have certain prayers we say every week - one is the Lord's Prayer). The Bible is read (in our partly UU church, not always every week, but in pure UU churches I've been in, it's not at all). I think in a pure UCC church, it would be every week. They also tend toward traditional hymns and organ music, choir in robes, at least around here in the traditional northeast - not sure if they've gone more "modern" in the south to compete with all those churches with pop bands. The UCC has no creed, so you're still not required to follow any set list of beliefs, and they're also very liberal on social issues.

On paper, the Unity churches seem to have a lot of the same mix of beliefs, but I have absolutely know idea about how the services are run or if they're more new-agey.

Edited by matroyshka

OP, we attend a UU church and I could have written much of what you did. I also feel uneasy about the UU's for the same reasons. I grew up in an extremely liberal Baptist church in NC, so I think denomination isn't the key thing, it's more about the community. "Social justice" is the keyword, right? Like everyone else said, if you can find a UCC church, then that's a possibility. Also, if you could find a Universalist Christian church, that's another possibility maybe.

Well, reading your post Episcopal was the first thing that came to mind. There are a wide variety of interpretations and levels of inclusiveness in Episcopal churches from what I've seen, and I can think of at least two that I've attended that would suit you in terms of inclusiveness/traditional worship style/theological openness. Are there other Episcopal churches you can try? The one my friends attend barely makes me uncomfortable in terms of theological messages (and I'm fully agnostic/atheist).

Wow, I wish you were closer to our UU church to try it out. We are at a more "conservative" and ritualistic UU church with an amazing music program.

I have no better suggestions than what you've already Received, but I hope you can find a new church that feels like home. :grouphug:

OP I think each church is different within each denomination, so if you visit a church of a certain denomination and don't like it, then do try others before you write it off.

Best wishes in your journey.

:iagree: I totally agree with this. I don't think we'd be as happy with the UU church across town for us. I think especially more with liberal denominations, each church will have it's own feel. So if you have 3 UCCs near you, I'd try all of them.

And what if you are wanting something very socially liberal (helping the poor, inner-city type work, etc.....)and diverse but you are not really liberal when it comes to things like gay clergy or Universalism?

Is there anything out there for that?

I subscribe to Sojourners Magazine and I am very much in line with Jim Wallis on many, many things, but I tend to be religiously conservative (I am terming it that, I don't know what the real term would be.)

Each individual congregation has a different level of activity & style of worship, but the denomination is conservative and all of the ones I've been involved in have been active socially (inner-city work, active in the community, etc). Evangelical Covenant.

http://www.covchurch.org/

- the lack of ritual.

This describes me very, very closely. I had to really ask around and do my research to find an Episcopal church in my area that was on board with the views of the Episcopal Church nationally (the state diocese and most parishes within the state ARE NOT inclusive like the church nationally).

Best of luck in your search!

PCUSA - presbyterian church united states of america is liberal

PCA - presbyterian church of america is not

OPC - orthodox presbyterian church is not