Menu

Mother of the bride dress. Tell me what you think of this.

I couldn't upload the picture so I've posted the link.

I would be wearing it in chocolate brown and ordering it custom hemmed so it's a few inches longer since I do not sit with my knees nicely kept together at the piano and would like to wear it for performances.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Scoop-Knee-length-Chiffon-Bridesmaid--Wedding-Party-Dress--FSM0681-_p96029.html

I really like this dress, however, I am also willing to accept criticism. Afterall, maybe it's reminiscent of a middle-aged mom trying to look too young for her age.

I'm 5'4 and somewhat short waisted so I tend to do fairly well with empire waist or similar styles and since I have barn door hips that no amount of exercise seems to diminish, a fuller skirt is a must.

Thanks!

Faith

The A-line cut is very nice and will flatter your figure, but the neckline is very dowdy and mumsy, especially if it were in a colour like chocolate, which already tends to look a bit frumpy on many people.

Just being honest.

ETA: From your same site:

This one is better, but I still wouldn't be a fan of the chocolate colour. This cut has the advantage of tummy camoflage.

If you have to have the chocolate colour, this one would look good in that. It is a higher and slightly more fitted waist, but with a fuller skirt.

Edited by Audrey

The cut is very nice and will flatter your figure, but the neckline is very dowdy and mumsy, especially if it were in a colour like chocolate, which already tends to look a bit frumpy on many people.

Just being honest.

Do you think it would look better in a lighter color?

Faith

I think it is beautiful, particularly in the turquoise (shown in some of the reviews).

I do not think the neckline in the chocolate color is as attractive, and the cut of the dress will bring a lot of attention to your shoulders and upper arms, so that would also be something I would think about.

I love the waistline and full skirt.

Do you think it would look better in a lighter color?

Faith

I think a jewel tone would work with the dress better. A rich, dark red, green or blue would look better. Think rubies, emeralds, sapphires. Also, I edited my previous post to show you 2 dresses that I think are a little better than that one.

Edited by Audrey

I think a jewel tone would work with the dress better. A rich, dark red, green or blue would look better. Think rubies, emeralds, sapphires.

Maybe I can convince her to let me have it in that burgundy/raspberry color which would have been a first pick anyway.

She said "NO WAY" to any of the blues, greens, or turquoise.

Thanks everyone.

Faith

Maybe I can convince her to let me have it in that burgundy/raspberry color which would have been a first pick anyway.

She said "NO WAY" to any of the blues, greens, or turquoise.

Thanks everyone.

Faith

In that berry colour, it's okay. I'm still not a fan of the neckline. Combined with the waist detail, it seems too much. Overfussing the details is a hallmark of matronly dresses.

ETA: looking at their colour chart, either "burgundy," "ruby," or "grape" would probably be very nice. Ruby might be iffy; it's hard to tell from the tiny swatch how really 'red' it is. You wouldn't want it to be too bright.

Edited by Audrey

I REALLY like the second one that Audrey suggested!! In fact, I agree with everything Audrey has said!

Another poster pointed out the arm/shoulder exposure. Something to think about depending on what kind of shape your arms are in. Especially if you will wear the dress again while playing the piano. Don't want the arm jiggle, right? I am NOT saying you have arm jiggle! I don't know. I am just saying to think about it. I always thought about arm jiggle when I ran handbells. :D

I REALLY like the second one that Audrey suggested!! In fact, I agree with everything Audrey has said!

Another poster pointed out the arm/shoulder exposure. Something to think about depending on what kind of shape your arms are in. Especially if you will wear the dress again while playing the piano. Don't want the arm jiggle, right? I am NOT saying you have arm jiggle! I don't know. I am just saying to think about it. I always thought about arm jiggle when I ran handbells. :D

I'll have a shrug. I never actually go sleeveless unless it's 100 degrees outside. Since I tend to be anemic/slightly hypothermic, I also tend to be cold. I'll probably make whatever it is that I wear with it and it will be simple, but elegant. However, there will have to be something or everyone will see my marbled, turning red because I've caught a chill, arms.

That's what she gets for an early June wedding. She should have waited until mid-July!

It's very, very hard to find anything remotely attractive with sleeves. Sleeveless and strapless seem to be the obsession with dress makers and the rare times I find one with sleeves, they are AWFUL! Well, unless of course they couture designs and cost a $1000.00 or more. :tongue_smilie:

Faith

The A-line cut is very nice and will flatter your figure, but the neckline is very dowdy and mumsy, especially if it were in a colour like chocolate, which already tends to look a bit frumpy on many people.

Just being honest.

This one is better, but I still wouldn't be a fan of the chocolate colour. This cut has the advantage of tummy camoflage.

If you have to have the chocolate colour, this one would look good in that. It is a higher and slightly more fitted waist, but with a fuller skirt.

I like all 3, but I do like these 2 options slightly better b/c I like the length better.

I like all 3, but I do like these 2 options slightly better b/c I like the length better.

Oooh, I like that red one. Hmmmm....if it was too low on me, always a problem because well, there just isn't all that much of me on top compared to the bottom half, so from my clavical to the girls seems to be not as far as it should be :glare:, I could easily put a small inset into the V and not have it look bad at all. It might also be easier to put a shrug with since Mrs. Cold arms cannot go sleeveless.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that one yet.

Faith

Just being honest.

I was just about to link that first dress, but you beat me to it! Now where can I wear something like that....

I think it's hard to tell about the neckline. I don't think those flowery rosette things are dowdy at all, but I do think that sometimes they work and sometimes they really don't. And I wonder if the chocolate would make it really not work. The other thing I noted was that the sleeves are cut in a way that I know would potentially not be flattering on me, especially with that highish neck, though that might or might not apply to you.

But it's a pretty dress in the dark purple shown. I do like it.

I agree that I prefer Audrey's second suggestion. I think it would look better with a shrug or jacket than the dress in your OP.

Oooh, I like that red one. Hmmmm....if it was too low on me, always a problem because well, there just isn't all that much of me on top compared to the bottom half, so from my clavical to the girls seems to be not as far as it should be :glare:, I could easily put a small inset into the V and not have it look bad at all. It might also be easier to put a shrug with since Mrs. Cold arms cannot go sleeveless.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that one yet.

Faith

What about this for sleeves? I don't think it fits very well on that model, but the details are nice and it is long sleeved, classic and very wearable elsewhere. (psst... not in that loud purple though. Burgundy or grape would be nice though.)

I think it's a very pretty dress, but I agree about the neckline and I LOVE the 2nd dress that Audrey linked.

Just being honest.

I would go for one of the ones Audrey linked since you are planning to wear a shrug. I personally think the one you shared would look best on its own, with bare arms. I personally love the first one Audrey posted but I have a need for slight tummy camouflaging at any weight despite regular sit-ups. ;)

Audrey wins! I'm going with one of her suggestions. I really liked the one that was shown in red. Chances are now that I WON'T be wearing brown. Since this is the third time that DD has changed her mind about the color, I finally gently told her that I thought it would be best if I picked something I knew I would look good in and leave it at that. She agreed. However, I ended up doing other things last night and haven't spent time with the color chart.

Thanks everyone! I REALLY appreciate the imput.

Faith