Menu

Help, we need a fabulous read aloud not often listed!

Alicia64

The last three books I've picked have not worked for one reason or another.

We read a lot so most of the usual books have been read like Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan etc. etc.

Can you recommend a read aloud that your kids LOVED that isn't in most of the read aloud lists on WTM forums?

THANKS!

Alley

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Candy Shop War - http://www.amazon.com/The-Candy-Shop-Brandon-Mull/dp/1590389700/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347553309&sr=8-1&keywords=the+candy+shop+war

- A new candy store in town has magic candy - rock candy that makes you weightless, jawbreakers that make you unbreakable, chocolate balls that disquise you...

My boys loved this story (girls did too)!

My kids actually listened to Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM.

Ds loved that one! Especially when it's read by Brendan Fraser.

I thought Mrs. Frisby was pretty common, that's why I didn't mention it. We loved Dragon Rider too. Ds9 bought Inkheart, by the same author, with his summer reading money.

We read a lot so most of the usual books have been read like Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan etc. etc.

Can you recommend a read aloud that your kids LOVED that isn't in most of the read aloud lists on WTM forums?

THANKS!

Alley

Not often listed by should be loved by your two nine year old boys.

"Thor's Wedding Day" by Bruce Coville.

What could possibly make Thor--the massive and mighty god of thunder and protector of all his people--put on a bridal gown? It all begins when the source of Thor's power, his beloved hammer, is stolen. The plan to get it back requires that he dress in fancy finery and be packed off to marry the king of the giants. Luckily, Thialfi, the goat boy, comes along. Working behind the scenes, Thialfi just might save the day . . . which is only fair, because it's his fault the hammer was stolen in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/Thors-Wedding-Day-Thialfi-translated/dp/0152058729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347565087&sr=8-1&keywords=Thor%27s+Wedding+Day (Amazon has a look inside feature for this book)

I also highly recommend the audio version.

I have seen this one recommened once before, but only once

Poppy by Avi

http://www.amazon.com/Poppy-Stories-Avi/dp/0380727692/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347565188&sr=1-1&keywords=Poppy+avi (Look inside feature at amazon so you can look at the first few pages)

At the very edge of Dimwood Forest stood an old charred oak where, silhouetted by the moon, a great horned owl sat waiting. The owls name was Mr. Ocax, and he looked like death himself. With his piercing gaze, he surveyed the lands he called his own, watching for the creatures he considered his subjects. Not one of them ever dared to cross his path. . .until the terrible night when two little mice went dancing in the moonlight. . .

This is part of a series, which we have read through more then twice.

I heard that an audio version does exist, but I never tired it.

The Seven Wonders of Sassafrass Springs was wonderful!

Frindle

Tumtum and Nutmeg is very cute.

The elder boy and I just started Swallows and Amazons and it shows great promise.

Dealing With Dragons

Gone Away Lake was fun.

The Trolly Car Children was cute.

The Moffets series

I just picked up the series The Saturdays

Clearly we enjoy old stories! Happy reading. :)

I have seen this one recommened once before, but only once

Poppy by Avi

http://www.amazon.com/Poppy-Stories-Avi/dp/0380727692/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347565188&sr=1-1&keywords=Poppy+avi (Look inside feature at amazon so you can look at the first few pages)

At the very edge of Dimwood Forest stood an old charred oak where, silhouetted by the moon, a great horned owl sat waiting. The owls name was Mr. Ocax, and he looked like death himself. With his piercing gaze, he surveyed the lands he called his own, watching for the creatures he considered his subjects. Not one of them ever dared to cross his path. . .until the terrible night when two little mice went dancing in the moonlight. . .

This is part of a series, which we have read through more then twice.

I heard that an audio version does exist, but I never tired it.

DD seems to like any book by Avi such as Magic at Midnight, Murder at Midnight, and Crispin series.

Tucker's Countryside is the sequel to Cricket in Times Square. Button just loved it -- we read for over an hour to finish the last section one night. I preferred Cricket, to be honest; but it meets the thread's topic of a Fabulous Read Aloud Not Often Listed.

Also, if it doesn't fret your theology, around Christmas you could do The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (that version illustrated by Michael Hague). It completely skirts the Christ-centeredness of Christmas, and is a story of a child (who grows to be Santa Claus) found and fostered by wood-fairies; it is full of fairies & such. I mention it b/c I gave a copy to a Muslim friend who uses a lot of Waldorf, because it is the most wonderful nymph/fairy-story I know; but she didn't feel clear to read it to her child b/c she teaches Christmas according to Islamic tradition. If you are Christian and also use fairy tales, I should think it would be fine.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Tucker's Countryside is the sequel to Cricket in Times Square. Button just loved it -- we read for over an hour to finish the last section one night. I preferred Cricket, to be honest; but it meets the thread's topic of a Fabulous Read Aloud Not Often Listed.

Youngest loved, "Cricket in Times Square" and was so sad that it ended with the characters not together. So I got him the prequel and sequel of the book.

Both boys thought "Tuckers country side" was okay, but not good enough to read the books following it.

No one enjoyed the prequel to "A cricket in times square" which was called, "Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse". It was more like an undeveloped chapter book. I could easily tell why that book is out of print.

George Washington's Socks, which fits nicely into history if you're doing that period of time. Ds LOVED it.

Bunnicula was a favorite here too - it's a super quick read though but I loved how intelligently written it was. There were loads of "big" words that helped to expand ds's vocabulary for sure.

Youngest loved, "Cricket in Times Square" and was so sad that it ended with the characters not together. So I got him the prequel and sequel of the book.

Both boys thought "Tuckers country side" was okay, but not good enough to read the books following it.

No one enjoyed the prequel to "A cricket in times square" which was called, "Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse". It was more like an undeveloped chapter book. I could easily tell why that book is out of print.

It may be that the popularity of Tucker's Countryside is peculiar to our household (or just to Button!) He cried at the end of Cricket, b/c Chester left New York for the great unknown Connecticut, and it became a matter of some urgency to find the sequel and reassure him that life continued in the Chester Universe ...

The Avi books, "Magic at Midnight" and "Murder at Midnight" are the only ones available at my library in audio. What is your opinion on them. My boys don't like books with tension.

There is definitely more tension in the above books than in Thor's Wedding Day, which according to Dd is very funny. She's about the same age as your kids.

I wonder if your kids would like Guardians of Ga'hoole. The author seems to have done extensive research on owls and they are incorporated into the characters' personalities. I'm actually surprised how much science Dd is learning about owls. However, these are more adventure novels than Burgess' books, which I know you've already read aloud to your kids. There is tension, but I can't say it's to the extent of being scary. From your read aloud list, I think your kids may enjoy this series.

It may be that the popularity of Tucker's Countryside is peculiar to our household (or just to Button!) He cried at the end of Cricket, b/c Chester left New York for the great unknown Connecticut, and it became a matter of some urgency to find the sequel and reassure him that life continued in the Chester Universe ...

There were definitely mixed emotions for Dd after the first book, but I forgot to borrow the sequel. Oops.

That is the same reason we got, "Tucker's Country Side". We enjoyed it, but it didn't have the magic of, "A Cricket in times square".

There is definitely more tension in the above books than in Thor's Wedding Day, which according to Dd is very funny. She's about the same age as your kids.

I wonder if your kids would like Guardians of Ga'hoole. The author seems to have done extensive research on owls and they are incorporated into the characters' personalities. I'm actually surprised how much science Dd is learning about owls. However, these are more adventure novels than Burgess' books, which I know you've already read aloud to your kids. There is tension, but I can't say it's to the extent of being scary. From your read aloud list, I think your kids may enjoy this series.

Now I feel well know. Since I didn't even start this thread, or mention in it anywhere that my kids like Burgess books. I admit I am typing up a word document listing our first 500 read alouds and what my kids thought of them. I'm also including when we read them, and how many times we have read each book.

Perhaps I'll look into Guardians of Ga'hoole next time I'm looking for more books to add to our might read list.

Now I feel well know. Since I didn't even start this thread, or mention in it anywhere that my kids like Burgess books. I admit I am typing up a word document listing our first 500 read alouds and what my kids thought of them. I'm also including when we read them, and how many times we have read each book.

Perhaps I'll look into Guardians of Ga'hoole next time I'm looking for more books to add to our might read list.

Ater you posted that list (was 400 books?), you inspired me to do the same. I wish I had started years ago, but now I'm working from faulty memory and typing up a list.

Ater you posted that list (was 400 books?), you inspired me to do the same. I wish I had started years ago, but now I'm working from faulty memory and typing up a list.

Once I'm done writing out my list of our first 500 read alouds with comments by my kids - I'll post it. But only if you promise to respond so I know I'll get at least once response.

PS. Sorry for stealing your thread Alley.

Once I'm done writing out my list of our first 500 read alouds with comments by my kids - I'll post it. But only if you promise to respond so I know I'll get at least once response.

PS. Sorry for stealing your thread Alley.

What?!?! No one responded to that thread! I think all of us dropped what we were doing that day and started up a list. :D.

What?!?! No one responded to that thread! I think all of us dropped what we were doing that day and started up a list. :D.

No, I haven't posted that thread, since we are only at 490 books read. But I will be posting it soon, and you better respond or else.

or else you wouldn't get the pleasure of responding.

No, I haven't posted that thread, since we are only at 490 books read. But I will be posting it soon, and you better respond or else.

or else you wouldn't get the pleasure of responding.

:bigear:

I'm responding before you post it so you'll post it. Consider this your pre-post response. So...post it. Ok? ;) I'm waiting!

THANKS!

Alley

Oh I just saw in your siggy that you're reading aloud Lin's book. I recommended it in a previous post without reading your siggy. What about Chabon's Summerland? Dd loved that one so much that we had to read it aloud a few times.