Menu

What do you do with your old magazines?

If you have subscriptions to magazines what do you do with the magazine once you've read it? Do you jettison it or do you have a dedicated box for them? I've always thought to keep the cooking/lifestyle ones because of the recipes and various ideas for organization etc. But recently I noticed on a weekly organizer schedule 'throw out magazines from last week'.

They're fun to go through after they've been around awhile but mostly they take up space and I find that I don't actually use the recipes and ideas. So Hive what do you do? Keep or jettison?

I don't keep anything longer than two months. If there's a recipe I want, I take a picture of it with my phone and send the picture to live in the cloud.

The magazines go out with the recycling.

Edited by nmoira

Our library has a shelf in the lobby for people to leave their old magazines. I've gotten several so current they're still being sold in the stores. Of course, I've also seen Newsweeks from 1988 and grimy Fingerhut catalogs, but that's just the thrill of the hunt!

I keep old ones for the kids to cut the pictures out for collages or school projects. I used old adds and had the kids made a food group collage out of them.

But you might not want to ask me. I keep waaaaay to much stuff that could potentially be used as a project that doesn't actually get used.

ETA: I take out the pages of old magazines that I want to save, articles, project ideas, recipes, and I put them in a binder with the pages in cheap page protectors.

Our library has a shelf in the lobby for people to leave their old magazines. I've gotten several so current they're still being sold in the stores. Of course, I've also seen Newsweeks from 1988 and grimy Fingerhut catalogs, but that's just the thrill of the hunt!

Yeah, when I get rid of something, I first ask myself if I know anyone or anywhere I can take these. For example, our library collects batteries for proper disposal, so I put the dead ones in a pocket in my library bag and dispose of them when I go.

I have a best friend who takes any hair products and lotions I dislike.

I use the recycle bin as the last choice -- well -- above the trash can.

I keep some for a while. I pass some on to relatives, especially when they come to visit and need something for the plane. I donate the rest to the library; they have an area for free magazine drop off. If I get totally overwhelmed and can't get in there, I recycle them.

My best find on the magazine rack were some teacher magazines that were about inquiry science. I felt like Alte Veste Academy was my magazine angel for the day.

BTW Dawn, In my area, we've been advised we no longer need to recycle batteries. As of last year I think, they don't take them. We've been told we can safely throw them away. It's so confusing and frustrating to feel like you have these items you can't get rid of easily.

I have some I refuse to throw out:

Mary Englebreit's Home Companion

Victoria

Early Martha Stewart's Christmas/Thanksgiving volumes

They take up a shelf in the library, and in the winter, I sit in there with tea and browse and fill up my creative well.

I have some I rip stuff out of:

Somerset Studios

Cloth, Paper, Scissors

Country Gardens

I have one Traditional Home mag I've kept for years because I've never loved an interior as much as the one shown.

I've got some quilting mags, and beading mags I keep in the 'crafts' shelves.

Otherwise? Recycle.

BTW Dawn, In my area, we've been advised we no longer need to recycle batteries. As of last year I think, they don't take them. We've been told we can safely throw them away. It's so confusing and frustrating to feel like you have these items you can't get rid of easily.

I wonder what they're doing with them at the library? :confused:

If you have subscriptions to magazines what do you do with the magazine once you've read it? Do you jettison it or do you have a dedicated box for them? I've always thought to keep the cooking/lifestyle ones because of the recipes and various ideas for organization etc. But recently I noticed on a weekly organizer schedule 'throw out magazines from last week'.

They're fun to go through after they've been around awhile but mostly they take up space and I find that I don't actually use the recipes and ideas. So Hive what do you do? Keep or jettison?

We put them in the trash after reading them.

I have quilt magazines, Hobby Farm Home, Hobby Farm, and occasionally, a Countryside magazine to get rid of and I take them all to church, put up a sign that says "Help yourself", and people grab them up! If I'm there 20 minutes before church starts, there won't be any left by the end of the first hymn!

I also took a big pile to our pastor's wife when she was on bedrest during the last month of her pregnancy. She then passed them onto another friend that was spending a lot of time sitting with an elderly relative in poor health. I was thrilled that they served a good purpose.

National Geographic - I'm so addicted to all of the interesting articles and gorgeous photos that the kids will be digging my body out from underneath the NG avalanche when I'm an old woman! At some point, I'll donate them to the library sale in maybe half-decade increments. :D

Faith

I have kept alot and put them in a box. I enjoy going back threw them. I was once on bedrest and let me tell you that is a life saver. My dad who is close to 80 has kept alot that he says when he goes into confinement he will have something to do.

Which brings to mind, with a bunch going on kindle, will they always print and mail them out. I sure hope so, because I don't like it on there. I love curling up and reading them.

We share ours. Kids magazines go to families we know who can't afford subscriptions. I have elderly clients who enjoy the other magazines we have: Sunset, Better Homes & Gardens, National Parks, etc. Sometimes they give me their magazines to read and share with others. My parents also share. I'd say by the time I think the magazine finally gets tossed, it's gone through about 5 hands or more!

A couple years ago, I finally got my oldest to purge all his Highlights. He gave them out to kids coming to our yard sale! It was super fun and the kids really liked getting a treat. :)

I recycle ours. However, I believe the people I work with just bring their old magazines to work and dump them. I grabbed a magazine to read during lunch one day and noticed it was from 2006. The place I work opened in 2009- HOW did a magazine from 2006 get in our breakroom??? And as I put it back, I saw many more that were at least that old.

And later I wondered why I put it back instead of tossing it into the trash.

We save them for crafts and collages which has come in handy several times for school.

Once, my daughter made a "Life, Liberty, & The Pursuit of Happiness" word collage from magazines for social studies.

More recently she did the SOTW activity that involved making a "mosaic calendar" using images from magazines. She could pick any theme she wanted and went with desserts. She had so much fun doing that, she may want to do more calendar pages for other months using different themes.

And my son did an Alphabet Collage for wrapping up Kindergarten (finding capital letters of the alphabet and pasting them into his main lesson book).

Other times, for fun, we do an idea I read about in Family Fun Magazine once- give the child a picture torn out from a magazine and encourage them to mount it on a larger piece of paper and then draw the UNSEEN parts of the picture, what they think would be all around that picture. Fun stuff. :)

In "my" library (that I sub at), we collect them and recycle them!!! I haven't heard anything about this changing anytime soon... :001_huh:

As I said, my city no longer accepts them for recycling.

In summary, because alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury and because of the small amount of recoverable metals in them, they are not typically recycled.

http://willtaft.com/there-may-be-no-need-to-recycle-alkaline-batteries/

If one has a way to pass on magazines, I think it doesn't matter how old they are. There are plenty of nice recipes in old cooking magazines, for example. I took two copies of Cooking Light home when I left mine last weekend, and one was from 2000! but I found a couple yummy sounding recipes in it.