Menu

We may be some of these crazy people.

My husband is into astronomy. He will drive for hours to get to a location in the middle of nowhere where he has determined there is dark sky. He tries to find a public spot to set up his telescope, but I know he sometimes ends up somewhere on the edge of someone's property. A couple months ago, he took our oldest and drove to a rural area about an hour and a half from our home. He set up his telescope right on the edge of the road, but had to move it back a couple feet onto the grass when a car drove that way. Later, dd needed to go to the bathroom and he walked up the driveway and asked if she could use their facilities. I think he tried to convince her to go in the bushes, but she wasn't having it. They were very nice and allowed her to go. Dh invited them to come look through the telescope and they came out and had a look and a chat and that was that. I guess they didn't mind, but I suppose that still qualifies as crazy.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Margaret in CO - that's hilarious.

If a bunch of people I didn't know were on my porch, I'd greet them with a gun or the sheriff or both.

A couple of weeks ago a neighbor had some work done on their roof. The roofers parked in my front yard, and every time one of them walked to his car he squeezed a peach. Eventually I got to standing in the front window staring at him, when he started squeezing peaches while leering at me. We left town overnight a couple days later and that night all the peaches were stolen off the tree (not even ripe yet!). I'm SO ready to move.

Oh, golly. I'd probably be just like that. I've lived in the city all my life and we live on about 1/10 of an acre. I've never even seen a creek. If I moved somewhere like where you live, I'd be so ecstatic you'd probably find me in your creek, stark naked and flapping my arms with glee.

:lol: And I'd perfectly understand that - if the creek didn't run the whole length of your property also and you just decided our part was a bit more fun. :tongue_smilie:

Some of our worst were the Girl Scouts for several years. I hear the dogs going nuts and go out to the front cattleguard. Seems that they've decided to hold a bike-a-thon and the main staging area is in our driveway! I told them to leave and was called every name in the book. And then we were yelled at for trying to drive down our road. Repeat the next year, only this time they set up in the OTHER cattleguard! Again, told them to leave, call the sheriff, etc. Finally got their attention--we rounded up the cows and even though they didn't need to graze the front pastures yet, we brought them home. 200 head through the bike-a-thon. End of bike-a-thon. The girls were covered with manure from biking down the road (the cows had been on green pastures) and some calf jumped OVER their card table, only didn't quite make it. The Border Collie rounded up the bikers as she didn't feel that they were in the correct place, etc. Hello! You want to close down a road, you have to get a PERMIT!

We're about to get our influx of RVers. The summer traffic of families with kids is done but the older set is here. Grocery shopping takes soooooo long.

:lol::lol:

All I can say is that you guys are all a lot nicer than I would be if I found a stranger sitting on my porch.

In our little part of the world, our neighbors would tell the people that they'd better get moving because the police were already on their way over. (And the police really would be on their way over.)

:lol: And I'd perfectly understand that - if the creek didn't run the whole length of your property also and you just decided our part was a bit more fun. :tongue_smilie:

But, see, that's the thing. Being a city kid, how would I know that, well, a creek has divisions? Couldn't I plead ignorance? Couldn't you just jump in with me and we could all flap around together? We don't even have a porch for someone to set a telescope up on. But we do often have drivers stare in gape-mouthed awe at our morning glory-covered arbor. I find this totally non-offensive. :D

Edited by Alphabetika

it must be the season change. i was just bringing dinner to the table last night when dds said, "there's a cyclist. going down our mountain".

and sure enough, there was.

dh and i followed the tracks backwards, and it turns out he must have ridden up the road, carried the bike thru one of our neighbor's yards, past his house and car, and then ridden on his land, to where the neigbors have put up a fence, lifted the bike OVER the fence, and ridden down the mountain.... past the ponds, thru the hiking trails, by the chicken coop and the pool.

because, you know, no one lives here... ?????

and given that this is the high desert, we will have his bike tracks on our mountainside for months if not years.

we thank our lucky stars that he didn't fall!

people are just nuts.

ann

Huh. I wonder if we are those people.

We have a 5 acre farm and it borders our neighbors 18 acre farm. They have a creek running just over the property line on their side (no fence or anything) that my girls love. It's their favorite place spot and I can see it from the house. It is the far part of their farm from the neighbor's house and they don't grow anything or keep livestock - it's all wild. My kids have played there for three years and it's never occurred to me to ask. It's always seemed more like a part of our property.

They are probably posting about us somewhere - "we have these neighbors whose kids play in our creek and act like it's theirs. Who does that?" :lol:

Maybe I'll go talk to them about it this week. Can't believe I never thought about that.

A few weeks ago, the tree trimmers came down our contry road to trim all trees near the power lines. My boys were watching them out the window and said one of them had walked off into the trees a little way down from the house (part of our property). I went out and asked what was going on, and they replied "Trimming the trees" I asked why someone had been walking in on our property in the stand of trees. The guy says something like "Just wanted to have a look at the dead one" I said we didn't need any extra service and he looks at me funny and said he wasn't offering any.

So, I tell my husband this story when he gets home and he starts laughing. I asked him why it was funny, and he said the guy probably went to relieve himself and didn't know anyone was watching.:tongue_smilie:

Okay, here is a great story about people with no boundaries.

We were selling our house and had an offer. It was an absurdly low offer, so we countered and had not heard back yet, but were not considering his offer because it was way too low. One day we came home to see a painter's van in front of our house. We walked inside, and dh immediately sent our dc out to the front yard because he heard voices inside. I grabbed the phone to call 911 and he confronted two men in our family room.

He asked what they were doing there and they said that _____ (the guy who put an offer on the house) sent them over to give him a quote on painting the inside of the house, that he said the house would be open and they could just go inside. We said that _____ doesn't live there and is not the owner of the house. Dh told him that they had just illegally entered our home and we were calling the police. They said that they had permission from _____ to go in, were surprised that he didn't live there or own the home, apologized for a couple minutes, then quickly left. They had entered our house from a back door (had to go through a side gate and into the back yard to get to that door).

We had a realtor card on the counter, so we think a realtor showed the house while we were gone and didn't lock the door properly when they left, which is how these guys got in.

We called our realtor and told him what happened and instructed him to call the guy who put in the offer and tell him that we were not going to accept any offer from him and not to send anyone else to our house. Our realtor was flabbergasted. He later called back and said that the other guy's realtor didn't believe that he had sent the painters there, but then guy admitted he had because he wanted to know how much it would cost to paint the interior, and that he was also sending out landscapers to give a quote on changing the yard and a flooring company to get him an estimate on installing hardwood floors throughout the house. All before we had accepted his offer! He had found out that we had an open house scheduled for that afternoon and intended all these companies to come into the house then to get him estimates. Uh, that is not what an open house is for. :lol: His realtor apologized and said she had told the guy that what he did was totally inappropriate, and our realtor made certain that this guy would not be contacting us again. :tongue_smilie:

Some of our worst were the Girl Scouts for several years. I hear the dogs going nuts and go out to the front cattleguard. Seems that they've decided to hold a bike-a-thon and the main staging area is in our driveway! I told them to leave and was called every name in the book. And then we were yelled at for trying to drive down our road. Repeat the next year, only this time they set up in the OTHER cattleguard! Again, told them to leave, call the sheriff, etc. Finally got their attention--we rounded up the cows and even though they didn't need to graze the front pastures yet, we brought them home. 200 head through the bike-a-thon. End of bike-a-thon. The girls were covered with manure from biking down the road (the cows had been on green pastures) and some calf jumped OVER their card table, only didn't quite make it. The Border Collie rounded up the bikers as she didn't feel that they were in the correct place, etc. Hello! You want to close down a road, you have to get a PERMIT!

We're about to get our influx of RVers. The summer traffic of families with kids is done but the older set is here. Grocery shopping takes soooooo long.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread both amuses me and freaks me completely out.

behind our back yard and between our yard and the meadows is an access road that people take walks on and ride bikes. OUr back porch is quite a way in from the access road. Well, I heard a dog barking and looked and there are people sitting on my back porch. I went to the back door and asked them if their dog was after my cat and they looked put out and said "no, we are just waiting for someone". I mean I was at my back door so it was obvious I live here. I just stared at them until they finally left but now they are walking back and forth on the road behind my house. THese are not neighbors at all, just tourists hanging around and I guess they think the entire town is their's to use however they want.

I would love to put a fence in but dh said no.

That would freak me out! Did you call the police? That is so rude! Are you at the shore? We live in NJ, and have a "paper road" behind our house, but no one had better sit on my back porch! :tongue_smilie:

We did have a habitual trespasser I didn't mind: our neighbor's elderly dog would frequently get confused and stand at our back door, patiently waiting to be let in. We'd physically turn her toward her own house, say, "Lila, you live there!" and give her a little push. I was commiserating with my neighbor about the challenges of aging pets, but she assured me that Lila had always been as dumb as box of rocks with the smart rocks taken out. Age just made it more socially acceptable. :)

I love this. I love the way you handled this -- battling density with cattle. Yeah!

Margaret, remind me not to get on your bad side.

Ha! We had some renters who were good buddies with our kids. The dh told the boys that late one night some of his wife's high school students tried to sneak up on their house and "scare" their teacher. The dh caught them and reamed them good, and informed them "If you had gotten the wrong house (ours, down the road) you would have been shot!"

I probably would have only sicced my dog on them. Maybe.

A few months after we moved in, I found an entire family, with little kids and 2 dogs, in one of our paddocks trying to feed the horses some weeds. I asked what they were doing and they said they were visiting the neighbors. I pointed out that the property line was like 2 acres away, on the other side of the pipe fence, and they said "Oh, we know, we just wanted to see what was here." I said that letting toddlers and dogs run around in a paddock full of horses was highly dangerous, and asked them to please leave. They acted highly offended and huffed off. We now have a solid, 6' tall fence between the two properties. :glare:

Jackie

A few years ago a friend of mine had a mom with a van full of kids stop off at her house (down a long private, house can't be seen from the road, driveway). When my friend asked if she could help them the lady said that they were all there for horse rides:confused::confused:

The lady had recently moved into the area and said that the realtor told her that of course they could ride the neighbors horses.:confused:

We are rural and we do ride a lot of trails on other people's property. We have asked permission from those we can find owners to and we don't cross any no tresspassing signs, etc.

You know, I would be very tempted to act absurdly in this situation. Return the favor. Put on ridiculous clothing, sit down next to them and engage in conversation. Do things to be incredibly annoying. Correct their grammar. Ask them to specify exactly what/who they are talking about each time they use a pronoun. Ask them what gender they are. Talk extensively about your oral health. They will leave without any further prompting.

roofers parked in my front yard, and every time one of them walked to his car he squeezed a peach. Eventually I got to standing in the front window staring at him, when he started squeezing peaches while leering at me. We left town overnight a couple days later and that night all the peaches were stolen off the tree (not even ripe yet!). I'm SO ready to move.

Sooo..."squeezed a peach" isn't a euphamism for anything then?:tongue_smilie:

These stories are funny...but I miss the old days of hospitality. Something out of a Lucy Maud Montgomery novel where if you saw a stranger on your property, you'd offer them lemonade and cake, and share some interesting conversation.

I'm all for keeping genuine cuckoos and rude people away, but I don't have a problem with people sitting on my porch or swinging in the front yard.

You know, I would be very tempted to act absurdly in this situation. Return the favor. Put on ridiculous clothing, sit down next to them and engage in conversation. Do things to be incredibly annoying. Correct their grammar. Ask them to specify exactly what/who they are talking about each time they use a pronoun. Ask them what gender they are. Talk extensively about your oral health. They will leave without any further prompting.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have friends that live on the lake here. Until they put up a very tall iron fence, with spikes on top, men fishing would come by boat to the edge of their property, take lawn chairs off their deck (at least 75 ft from the water's edge), and proceed to fish. They had to put spikes on the fence after one guy decided to climb it and toss the deck furniture over the fence, so he could sit at water's edge in their shade and fish on the grass instead of his boat.

I live in a tourist town. That is one of the milder stories. I don't even want to talk about when someone famous comes to town. Or when there is a bikers rally.

Some people have too much nerve! Several years ago, we stocked our pond--private property--with small catfish, with the plan that they would grow into large® catfish so we could enjoy fishing. The pond, while off the beaten path, and not easily visible from our house because it is surrounded by trees, is apparently a huge temptation to the neighbors. We regularly find their buckets and drink cans, etc. down there, and dh even found fish traps down there a few times! Now there are NO catfish in our pond.

It could be worse....

We definitely don't live in a tourist town, or even in the country. On the main street our street connects to just down the block is one of the main county hospitals. Our neighborhood is definitely suburban, and though some of the back yards are quite large, the front yards are small, some even tiny. Houses are all close to the street. I have two large windows that look out onto the street.

Imagine my surprise one morning around 10:30, when I look out and see a woman stop her car, get her 2 kids out, and help her Ds (who looked to be about 5) pull his pants down and go #2 right in the street! There is a McDonalds, a Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, etc. about 5 mins from the main street. I so wanted to call the police, but she was gone before I could even believe what I saw enough to do anything about it.

But, see, that's the thing. Being a city kid, how would I know that, well, a creek has divisions? Couldn't I plead ignorance? Couldn't you just jump in with me and we could all flap around together? We don't even have a porch for someone to set a telescope up on. But we do often have drivers stare in gape-mouthed awe at our morning glory-covered arbor. I find this totally non-offensive. :D

I understand. I can see it really wouldn't matter to most people. We moved from a tight neighborhood and really wanted room for our kids to spread out, and lots of privacy. Honestly, the first couple times we met them in our yard, it was all chatty and nice. They told us about building their house and all their plans, we understood they were excited. But when they had family camping over a long weekend and proceeded to show them around our property, started trimming and marking our trees for their path, and routinely walking their dog where my kids play (my son has been bitten and is a little dog shy) it got pretty old. I didn't intend to sound like a meanie, I just naturally respect and make myself aware of property lines and was surprised they obviously knew and didn't care at all.

Any wtm mamas can come flapping anytime though, and I'll bring the cake and lemonade. :001_smile:

Sooo..."squeezed a peach" isn't a euphamism for anything then?:tongue_smilie:

I didn't realize until I got to the last sentence that was about actual fruit. I am literally in tears from laughing.

A few years ago, someone in our neighborhood who is a developer built a house on the lot adjacent to ours (that he swore up and down we'd have an option to buy if he thought about building on). ANYWAY, I caught the workers on more than one occasion using our water and our electricity. My response was to turn off our water and the breaker to the outside outlet when they were there. It was one of those "if they had just knocked on the door and asked, I probably wouldn't mind, ya know?" I talked to the developer about it, and he said that, oh, they had made arrangements to use a different neighbor's water and the workers were using mine by mistake. Given the location of the other neighbor's house, I doubt it. I finally talked to the utility company about it, and they were not happy to hear it and gave me a number to call the next time it happened so they could come out and catch them. Of course, once I had the number in hand, it didn't happen again.

But the icing on the cake was one morning I woke up and our driveway extension was gone! There was a man using some sort of tractor thing to bust it up. I was too shocked to say anything, so I went back inside to email my husband about what to do and discovered an email from the developer saying, "Oh, by the way, we're going to take out your driveway extension because we think it's an inch over the property line. It's okay; we'll pour you a new one." Um... To this day, I am still waiting on my new driveway extension. At the time, I wish I had called the cops. If I remember correctly, at the time I wanted to, but I got talked out of it.

I was in Florence, Italy, in one of those shops on the bridge. I was buying a necklace and was in the process of deciding between two options. A tourist out on the street who was not patronizing the store in any way wanted to take a picture of the river looking through the shop and asked everyone to move. We did for an ample amount of time, and then when one of the salesladies thought it was safe to cross the room again, she got YELLED at for getting in the shot. My salesperson actually apologized to me for the tourist's behavior. I wish I'd had the guts to march out and explain to that woman that she was not, in fact, at EPCOT Center, but in an actual town where the inhabitants are not actors.

Oh my word...I so wanted to know what squeezin a peach was:tongue_smilie:

My parents live in a community that has ponds. There pond is the only non-community pond. The property across the pond and then the street was sold. And, they were told it was waterfront property. Which it wasn't because you have to cross the street and go through a fence and walk to the pond.

So, when they are selling the house across the way people just keep walking into my the 5 acres. There is a beware of dog sign and our dog would go nuts. People were all huffy and said they wanted to check out the pond. There is a sign, a fence, a big scary dog people. Eventually someone said, well it is waterfront property the realtor said so:tongue_smilie:

The people who bought the house were really miffed when my parents out in lyndal cypress or cedars. Those big tall bushy trees that grow like 2 feet a year. They actually complained that my parents ruin the worth of their home because it was a water view.

That is so weird. :001_huh: I really wonder about people sometimes...no, all the time.

Near our house is a wonderful public park that has a nearly 3-mile paved trail, the kind great for running, walking, and biking. It was a big deal when the county put it in--they used the old railroad right-of-way to build it. Naturally, because the railroad hasn't been operating for many, many years, plenty of folks had co-opted that land for themselves, even though it was government-owned property. So, there was a lot of support from the community, but a lot of resistance from many of the landowners. I could see both sides--bottom line is, the land belongs to the community, but I absolutely understand the landowner's concerns over invasion of their privacy with this very public path going through their backyards. The county did provide split-rail fences, lots of fast-growing trees, and plenty of no trespassing signs along open parts of the trail where homes and whatnot were close to the trail. Overall, I think they did a great job, and I love to get my runs in on the trail.

One day I was running by one of the small horse farms that borders the trail and there was an entire family--grandparents, parents, and a gaggle of children--who walked right into these folk's yard, up to their pasture fence, and started petting and taking their pictures with the horses. :001_huh: I couldn't help myself, so I asked them if they knew the people who owned the farm. Nope! Just wanted to hang out with the horses! I politely (ok, that's debatable) told them that the trail was public property, that those folks had had their private farm here long before the trail went in, and maybe they should have show some common sense and respect and move on along? You know, not just wander onto someone else's property and turn it into a petting zoo? :confused:

These stories are funny...but I miss the old days of hospitality. Something out of a Lucy Maud Montgomery novel where if you saw a stranger on your property, you'd offer them lemonade and cake, and share some interesting conversation.

I'm all for keeping genuine cuckoos and rude people away, but I don't have a problem with people sitting on my porch or swinging in the front yard.

But you don't know who's a cuckoo, and anyone who trespasses is just rude. In most places, if someone gets hurt on your property, trespassing or not, you are liable.

Here's what I don't understand...how can my 16 yo son BE one of those people??? Where did he EVER learn to think that that kind of behavior is okay? But he does stuff like that and cannot understand WHY it makes me crazy. I keep hoping he will outgrow it, but now I am afraid he will never understand how RUDE things like that are.

:lol: My coffee almost hit the screen.

I wish I was this brave! We're on a corner, and people walk through our yard all the time & I hate it.

But here's the thing.

If people will walk up on to what is obviously private property, and sit down on the porch, wouldn't that qualify as being a "genuine cuckoo?" Anyone with even the slightest clue about proper social behavior and normal boundaries knows that it's not OK to walk up to a stranger's house and make themselves comfortable on the porch.

But here's the thing.

If people will walk up on to what is obviously private property, and sit down on the porch, wouldn't that qualify as being a "genuine cuckoo?" Anyone with even the slightest clue about proper social behavior and normal boundaries knows that it's not OK to walk up to a stranger's house and make themselves comfortable on the porch.

:iagree:

But here's the thing.

:iagree: It definitely qualifies as genuine cuckoo.

I get the sentiment of the previous poster--it would be nice if you could view most strangers as friends. I do occasionally strike up a conversation with random folks in the store or whatnot. But coming onto my property uninvited? That's just not ok. A sign of a different era, yes, and just not something that's done.

Of course, the last random strangers to come onto my property were either abusing my animals (throwing large rocks and sticks at my aged horses) or were armed and intent on poaching. I won't go into details, but these folks were not invited in for lemonade, to say the least. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: It definitely qualifies as genuine cuckoo.

I get the sentiment of the previous poster--it would be nice if you could view most strangers as friends. I do occasionally strike up a conversation with random folks in the store or whatnot. But coming onto my property uninvited? That's just not ok. A sign of a different era, yes, and just not something that's done.

Of course, the last random strangers to come onto my property were either abusing my animals (throwing large rocks and sticks at my aged horses) or were armed and intent on poaching. I won't go into details, but these folks were not invited in for lemonade, to say the least. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe you can make a manure blowing rocket :lol:

I'm moving and buying the huge house in front of your farm. I don't mind manure and we are nice :D

Oh, this made me laugh! You GO, Margaret! :lol:

Maybe you can make a manure blowing rocket :lol:

I'm moving and buying the huge house in front of your farm. I don't mind manure and we are nice :D

And you can count the time you spend making it as "Science Class." :D

Oooh! I can think of a few people I'd like to introduce to the business end of a manure cannon...

You ladies totally owe me a new keyboard, because mine just met with the sparkling water I was drinking when I read this... :lol:

Well, there is no shortage of manure here, and you are all welcome to come avail yourselves of whatever ammo you require. Lisamarie, PLEASE come buy the huge house. We can have a co-op science class together designing that manure cannon. We'll know we've failed if the rest of the neighborhood doesn't pack up and leave.

:lol: