Menu

Cleaning out the garage is what they do in hell.

I'm sure. I rarely go anywhere near our garage. It's not for cars, but piles of assorted junk, some more neatly ordered than others, scooters, skateboards, powertools, garden tools, an old cooker, two old vacuum cleaners (despite which the floor is an inch or two thick with sawdust), etc. It makes me feel quite faint to even think about cleaning it out. That hellish task is for the devils responsible for the state it's in :glare:.

Edited by Cassy

I'm sure. I rarely go anywhere our garage. It's not for cars, but piles of assorted junk, some more neatly ordered than others, scooters, skateboards, powertools, garden tools, an old cooker, two old vacuum cleaners (despite which the floor is an inch or two thick with sawdust), etc. It makes me feel quite faint to even think about cleaning it out. That hellish task is for the devils responsible for the state it's in :glare:.

:lol::lol: See, to get to my Homeschool room I have to pass through the garage, so for the past couple of weeks I literally have been closing my eyes as I pass by the mess. We too have scooters, bikes, an old computer that I need to clear out the hard drive of before dumping (yes, it's been 3 years....), tons of dh's tools that are not particularly organized...luckily we made headway today and it's looking better. But I am exhausted. I so wanted to finish today, I just don't see how I can.

Man I wish I had a garage! You have no idea!

:) I know, I am actually quite grateful. But I am even more grateful that our new home has a very large, 2 story storage shed which can house just about everything seasonal, as well as garden tools. So technically, our garage should be able to fit our two cars........:glare:

:) I know, I am actually quite grateful. But I am even more grateful that our new home has a very large, 2 story storage shed which can house just about everything seasonal, as well as garden tools. So technically, our garage should be able to fit our two cars........:glare:

That's awesome! So this garage that you're cleaning out now is your old house and you're moving in to the new one, or is the new one the one you're cleaning out. Your house sounds lovely btw. :) Enjoy it.

I'm kind of a nut about my car and like to keep it nice and shiny. :p I don't have a garage though and live near the beach so it's pretty much impossible. Dh won't let me get a car cover for it so it just sits outside exposed all the time. I dream of a house with a garage to put my car in. I would have no trouble keeping it up if I had one. :)

I swear.

:lol: On that to-do chart motivation thread you started a while back, cleaning the garage after our move was on my list. We moved into a house with a 3 car instead of a 2 car, and 1 car's worth is going to be used as the kids' tinkering studio/science lab. I was going to do it when DH went TDY. I just love a surprise and a couple of years ago, I did a super-duper garage makeover for him while he was deployed. Well, he went TDY. I went into the garage one day to get started. The sweat started dripping instantly. I turned around and went back inside. It was about 114 every day the week he was gone so it actually did feel quite like hell in there. :tongue_smilie: Fall is coming...

We don't even have too much in there, as we got rid of any excess before the move. Some of it is just still in boxes (because, of course, the movers had to repack what was in bins in boxes :001_rolleyes:). Now we get to unpack it all.

Actually, I think in hell, you push everything in the garage to the top of a hill and then it all rolls back down. ;)

Imagine if your garage also had rabbits living in it.
Imagine snakes. :svengo:

My hat is off to you... I have been wanting to clear out the clutter in my garage since Spring and due to the heat, wimped out. ;) There are 2 books packed in boxes deep in the clutter that I so need for homeschooling this Fall, but am waiting for cooler weather. Aaaauuugghh. :glare:

:iagree:

I cannot convince Mr. Ellie of the importance of being able to reach the shelves on the wall of the garage, hence the mine field of assorted...I don't even know what...between the space where I park the car and the aforementioned shelves. I am thankful that I can at least park the car in there, but ::heavy sigh:: oh, for a clean garage.

I thought you just moved! Garage a mess already? ;)

Ha! This is just all the unpacked stuff lol. And every time I didnt know where i should put stuff, i put it in the garage. Let's just say reckoning day has arrived. It is either trash,or it has a home.

I am ruthless. I have no pity for the adorable, if slightly smashed paper pig pinata my older made when he was 6. Even if it stares at me with those oh-so-cute eyes, i will be STRONG. Into the trash it shall go, to make room for more lovely creations. I will not be defeated by the paper piggie!!!!

thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-003.gif

Edited by Halcyon

Ha! This is just all the unpacked stuff lol. And every time I didnt know where i should put stuff, i put it in the garage. Let's just say reckoning day has arrived.

I would say so. How brave you are. I cull before I move, partially because I have a dickie back. The less I have to carry, the better.

That is a hell I do not enter.
:lol::lol::lol:

Ha! This is just all the unpacked stuff lol. And every time I didnt know where i should put stuff, i put it in the garage. Let's just say reckoning day has arrived. It is either trash,or it has a home.

:grouphug: Do you have some help at least going through everything? I hope you can get through it and have it behind you soon. I HATE that kind of work. It makes me crazy, but yeah it needs to be done or the stuff takes over. I hope you finish sooner rather than later so you can relax and enjoy your new home. Congratulations! :cheers2:

We're cleaning out the garage and basement...part II after moving here 9 months ago. I was asking dh about some things in there, he said that he wasn't sure why we had X or Y (leftover materials from building the house), it's probably FUTURE trash.:glare:

And here I thought today was the future...guess not future enough for him to let go.

No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. It's the basement! The garage may be the first tier of hell, but the basement is definitely on a much lower level and getting close to the center of hell. I'm sure that's what Dante wrote, er, would have written if he were alive today as a middle aged homeschooling mom.

I have two huge shelving units that need to be cleared out. IT's just a bunch of tidbits of crap. I don't know what to do with it.

tidbits of crap go into a black heft trash bag and into the refuse container and taken to the curb.

DH hates that I do things like that, but it's the only way to keep ahead of this stuff.

tidbits of crap go into a black heft trash bag and into the refuse container and taken to the curb.

DH hates that I do things like that, but it's the only way to keep ahead of this stuff.

That's about where I am at. There has got to be some end to "just in case I need this little plastic deformed piece of (_____) one day."

That's about where I am at. There has got to be some end to "just in case I need this little plastic deformed piece of (_____) one day."

:lol::lol::lol: Maybe you can hold a memorial service for it after you place it in the bag. Maybe have a nice dinner in it's honor. Sorry, my twisted sense of humor is showing.

:lol::lol::lol: Maybe you can hold a memorial service for it after you place it in the bag. Maybe have a nice dinner in it's honor. Sorry, my twisted sense of humor is showing.

When our house was first going on the market, the contractor still had a dumpster in the driveway -- i cannot tell you how much 'We might need this someday' crap went into tht dumpster. THAT was 18 months ago. You know what, if we need it, and it it's gone, we will go buy it again. Chances are whatever it is, it's at Radio Shack and costs less than $10.

:lol::lol::lol: Love this! You have no idea how much CRAP we have cluttering up our house that dh just might, maybe need some day. We bought a plasma tv about a year ago. The box is HUGE. We have a tiny house, he has the box outside on the patio. It takes up the full length of the wall and sticks out about 2 feet from said wall. I asked him if we could throw the box away since the tv is probably past it's warranty already anyway. His response, "I wanted to keep the box in case we move someday." :001_huh: We've lived here for almost 16 years now and probably won't move until dh retires from his job in another 20+ years. :lol:

:lol:

One thing that comes to mind is the extra bag from our old mower. Why would anyone need that? Yeah it's the same one and fits, but who ever needed an extra freakin mower bag?

And the one thousand cables and wires that have no purpose or place for anything. There must be five hundred pounds of them!

:lol::lol::lol: Love this! You have no idea how much CRAP we have cluttering up our house that dh just might, maybe need some day. We bought a plasma tv about a year ago. The box is HUGE. We have a tiny house, he has the box outside on the patio. It takes up the full length of the wall and sticks out about 2 feet from said wall. I asked him if we could throw the box away since the tv is probably past it's warranty already anyway. His response, "I wanted to keep the box in case we move someday." :001_huh: We've lived here for almost 16 years now and probably won't move until dh retires from his job in another 20+ years. :lol:

This is EXACTLY what I mean. I swear if you asked DH for a shard of metal such and such size he'd have a bin just for that.

This is totally my dh, bless his heart. :glare: He has subscribed to Sport Aviation for 20-some years. We have *EVERY* one. It is so absurd. He is so certain that one day, he will need the instructions (from 1997) on how to X your Y, and that he's totally going to comb through all those 'zines because he just knows there was an article about that one time.

Actually, I think in hell, you push everything in the garage to the top of a hill and then it all rolls back down. ;)

I will add this to my ongoing description of hell which already includes fluorescent lighting and the only food available beng DURIAN.

Durian:confused:

My garage is a memorial to two deceased relatives- once my mom moved into a very-neat 1BR apartment *I* inherited all the stuff from her mom's house and her former house which wouldn't fit into her nice tidy little place. :glare:

My car WILL be in the garage by winter... it is owed to me after burning my buttons on baked leather seats all summer. :mad:

Durian:confused:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is the national "fruit" here in Malaysia. It is the most foul, putrid thing that has ever slithered down my throat. It is the only food Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods said he absolutely couldn't swallow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_1qillkJs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This short clip is all about food in Penang which is where I live. Scroll to about the 3 minute mark and you will see Durian.

Oh, that's me. I have a box full of old water bottles, toilet paper tubes, and assorted stuff just for craft projects. And, um, a shoebox filled with baby food jars. In my defense I do use those, they are great for painting...

My poor DH. I'm trying, uhhh, somewhat to reform. A little. I mean I threw out some stuff. 5 months ago.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is the national "fruit" here in Malaysia. It is the most foul, putrid thing that has ever slithered down my throat. It is the only food Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods said he absolutely couldn't swallow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_1qillkJs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This short clip is all about food in Penang which is where I live. Scroll to about the 3 minute mark and you will see Durian.

Sound like one of those weird Singapore Math fruits :-)

:iagree:

I was just getting around to delegating that domestic task to the dh before he tore his achilles tendon.:glare: It'll be months (if not more than a year) before he'll be able to walk normally, let alone lift anything. So - that leaves me to do the garage - 6 months preggo (and taking care of said dh with torn achilles tendon:glare:).

We just moved in Dec, so it isn't *that* terrible...except for the fact that is has been the kids' station for creating and playing things I don't allow in the house in bad weather. (Think - all those cardboard boxes being *used* by little creative hands just learning to use a pocket knife.) And, it will require lugging several black trash bags to the garbage...and I'm heavy-with-child and wear out faster than a cotton sock on a 6yo's foot. Moan! Groan! Ugh!

I just got the basement to "reasonable considering we homeschool".:tongue_smilie::lol: I'm locking the door until June.

I have two huge shelving units that need to be cleared out. IT's just a bunch of tidbits of crap. I don't know what to do with it.

Understand I have tons of this tidbits of crap :eek:

I started this over the weekend. We have very full trash cans ;)

Yep I know this well.

Oh, that's me. I have a box full of old water bottles, toilet paper tubes, and assorted stuff just for craft projects. And, um, a shoebox filled with baby food jars. In my defense I do use those, they are great for painting...

My poor DH. I'm trying, uhhh, somewhat to reform. A little. I mean I threw out some stuff. 5 months ago.

There is a difference between having a box full of stuff to use for arts and crafts and a giant EMPTY box in the patio that we keep for no other reason than "in case we move someday". lol Not quite the same. :p I don't see anything wrong with having stuff that you actually use. :)