Menu

luggage and airplanes...questions

We are headed to Disney at the end of October...

my husband thinks it would be better to have each of us have a carry-on for most of our items so don't run the risk of losing luggage and so we don't have to pay for extra luggage.

Is there any reason that wouldn't be a good idea??

Is there anything we can't carry on that we will need?

Will you be taking at least one checked bag for the family? If not, you will have problems transporting sunscreen.

I don't know...but it's thing like this that I am unaware of...we haven't traveled by air since our honeymoon (16 years ago) so we don't know the rules of air flight now. What else needs to be checked and not carried-on.

You will need to go online to check your airline's baggage rules. They will have measurements of acceptable carry-ons and what you can/can't take liquid wise. I think federal rules say you can't have any liquids over 3 oz. You are supposed to put all liquids (think travel size hygiene items) in a ziplock bag for easy inspection. It all sounds scary, but if done right not bad.

How long is your trip? Carry-ons can be done, but since you are dealing with small bags, packing has to be done "just right". Maybe check one or two big suitcases and then everyone also bring a stuffed carry-on? My dh has done a week trip to Italy with just a carry-on (small suitcase). So it can be done, but it just takes planning and packing skills.

When I took the kids to NY for my sister's wedding, we each had a rolling carryon suitcase and a backpack. Then we had one large suitcase that could have been checked luggage, but since Mom and Dad were driving up, they had room for it. I second the idea of stopping at a CVS or Walgreens for toiletry items if that is your main reason for checking baggage.

I think it depends on how old your kids are. For a week I don't think we could do it. The girls (15 and 17) just couldn't manage to pack in a carry-on size due to their various hair things and make-up. I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to those things, but even I would have a hard time to pack for a week in a carry on.

Last time we went to Disney, the kids were 14, 11, 8. We went for a week and it was in January so weather was different from what you'll have. We each had a carry on and a checked bag. Well, maybe not 5 checked bags, it may have been 3 or 4. But there were definitely checked bags! The carry ons were smallish - think school backpacks.

We have had so many issues with lost or damaged checked bags that we now only do carry on. We travel a lot (all our family live far away) and this works for us.

1. Have your kids carry their stuff as much as possible. When mine were old enough to walk independently, they got to wear a backpack that held activities and a few changes of clothes for them and toiletries.

2. I also wear a backpack and have suitcase. The suitcase has my clothes and the rest of the kids clothes. My backpack has snacks, books, in-flight entertainment items, etc. I put my purse in the top of my main zipper compartment of my bag. If I have enough room I throw in a few empty plastic travel bottles. They are light and squishy and then I can fill them up once we clear security. My backpack has side holders for bottle so I can almost always fit 2.

3. Have everyone wear slip on shoes with socks if possible. Supposedly kids don't have to take shoes off at security but mine did last time. Bare feet on airport floors gross me out so we all have on socks. I have even brought socks in my backpack, pulled them on at security and taken them right off afterwards to put back on sandals.

4. Pack an extra bag if you have space. It can be used to hold souvenirs, dirty clothes, etc.

5. Keep items small. They are easier to fit in the plane and easier to fit in the bathroom stall should you need to go in with all your carry on bags.

Having very recently traveled... I can tell you this. Everyone should have a carry-on. Check and MAKE sure you are undersized on this. The airlines are getting really nasty about this. One leg of my recent trip had the airline people trolling the waiting passengers looking for oversized bags. Oversized carryons were taggged for checked luggage and get this ....as we were the last flight out that day...all gate checked luggage would be forwarded on the first flight out the following day. You didn't have a choice. Either the luggage got checked ($50 bag fee also) or you gave up your seat. I was glad to have a small duffle for me and my son's back pack for him.

Now the good news. Select you inflight luggage to be just large enough to hold 1 pair PJ's, 2 changes of underwear, and 1 set of "street clothes". You should pack you necessary electronics, necessary meds, necessary travel papers, toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, small tube of shampoo, comb, razor. Amusements for the plane: book, crosswords, or my favorite...valium.

All the remaining stuff gets divided among the checked luggage. Check with your airline, usually you get one bag per passenger. USE IT. Doesn't mean that you need all gargantuan bags, but if you have five in your family...Check five bags. Now, distribute the clothing and shoes evenly through those five bags. That is to say if everyone is going for two weeks, then each person should have one pair of shoes, and 2-3 complete outfits in each bag. Break up the remaining checkable toiletries also. That way if one bag goes missing no one person is out all of their clothes. The likelyhood that all your luggage goes missing is small, but you've got that covered with your hand luggage. If one bag goes missing, you've still got the majority of your stuff for EVERYONE in the remaining bags giving you the cushion of time to let the airline do it's job of finding your missing items.

HTH.

Edited by Anne Rittenhouse
riffles

I would find that to be a nightmare unless y

ou really are the type that travels very light.

:iagree:

The last time I flew (last month) there was so much carry on luggage that people had to check bags at the gate. There was just not enough room in the overhead.

I just figure paying for luggage is a cost incurred as part of flying.

:iagree:

The last time I flew (last month) there was so much carry on luggage that people had to check bags at the gate. There was just not enough room in the overhead.

I just figure paying for luggage is a cost incurred as part of flying.

that would be a bummer. Especially since they charge by bag number, not size...UGH....wonder how often that sort of thing happens.

I would check your luggage. I don't think our family could make do with few enough clothes to just have carry-ons.

I would give each child a backpack with snacks, books, toys, and a change of clothes, or two, in a ziplock bag. That way, if your luggage takes an extra day, you have a change of clothes.

It's still really, really hot t Disney in October. You will probably want two outfits a day, at least, and a couple of bathing suits, too. They will still have all the spray stations open for cooling off and you will get wet and sticky! Plus, if you are going to the Mickey's Halloween party, you will want to bring costumes for your dc. (Don't forget to bring glow in the dark stuff for your dc to wear at night. It is tons cheaper to get some from party city!

If you end up trying to get by with just carryons, measure carefully! They're really cracking down on carryon size. There is usually also a weight limit for carryons, but I've only actually had them weigh them for international flights so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start enforcing the weight limit soon enough. :glare:

You wouldn't be charged for gate checking it if that is what you are worried about.

I just came back from Atlanta and when I was in line for security, the mom in the family ahead of me was lecturing her three preteen/teen kids about how they were spoiled. Seems they didn't want to be bothered to carry on their luggage and mom paid $50 for each one to check a bag. Got through security, walked behind them to the gate, only to hear an announcement over the speaker- 'we'll check your bags here for free because there's not enough room for everyone's carry on'. You should have seen that mom- you could tell she was upset.

Then her daughter asked if she could have $4 for a bottle of water. :lol:

I totally blame the mom here, of course.

I am flying next week. I have a carry on only for a 4 day trip. I refuse to pay $50 to get 4 days' worth of my belongings to my destination. Airfare has gone up in the last couple of years.

I purchased a carry on from Costco. It meets the airline requirement of 14x22x9.

Will you have a laundry facility at the place you are staying? If so, take only 3 changes of clothing and plan to do laundry mid-week. When we go to Disney we stay in a place with a washer/dryer and do this. You can buy those Purell laundry sheets so that you won't have another liquid item, or you can buy it when you get there.

And, there is always room for our carry-ons because we board first because we have a small child. Works for us!

Do they still do this? On my last international flight (3 years ago), at my departure point, I asked about being allowed on first and was nastily told that many people had children. Of course at every other segment, we had the opportunity to preboard. I've read a lot of nightmares about not seating families together, including putting small children far away from their parents. What are they thinking???

We fly fairly often and only do carry-on, even to Europe.

Squishy bags instead of hard-sized bags are a must.

Pack light. (Obviously.)

Roll clothes instead of folding and/or use space-saving bags to squish clothes down.

You are allowed one carry-on, plus personal item. Personal item can be backpack, computer bag or purse. If you are carrying a purse, take the biggest purse you can find and pack you toiletries and such in there.

We seldom even use the overhead luggage area, as you can put your bag under the seat in front of you.

my husband thinks it would be better to have each of us have a carry-on for most of our items so don't run the risk of losing luggage and so we don't have to pay for extra luggage.

At $25 each way per checked bag (most airlines), I agree with your dh. Just be sure to read TSA regulations about liquids for your bathroom items. Everything must fit into a small clear ziplock bag and be no larger than __ oz., blah, blah, blah.

Well, if you're like me, I bring one extra full size EMPTY suitcase just for the souvenirs from Disney. :D

And, if you're staying on property, check the bags and use Magical Express. Then you don't have to worry about your luggage. Disney gets it for you and drops it off in your room. We just pack an extra change of clothes in case there's a spill, our bathing suits, anything that we absolutely NEED to have when we arrive, and that's it! Our luggage arrives in our room a couple of hours after we do. I love Magical Express!!

Not sure if any other airlines do this, but last time I flew Delta you could pay a little extra (like $10) to board first. It was an add-on option when you buy your ticket online. There is a limited number of 'zone 1' boarding tickets issued -- but I got on early, and could stick my luggage in the overhead right by me. It's cheaper than checking baggage, plus it's nice to get settled in before the masses.

Just reiterating what Wendy said, the charges only apply if you check your bag ahead of time. If it is checked at the gate because there is not enough room, you are not charged, and you get your bag back as you depart the plane. You don't go to baggage pickup for it as you would regular checked luggage.

I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but a word of warning for those sending kids to fly alone. ALWAYS double check the airline's policy for minors flying alone. Delta would have tacked on an additional MANDATORY $100 each way fee for my 13yods upon our arrival at the airport--it wasn't enough that he was flying with 17yodd. She didn't count as an adult (although I wouldn't have been charged for her)--as if I'd trust an airline employee over dd. Fortunately, I found out before I booked the flight and was able instead to book with United that didn't have such a fee.

the only airline that flies to disney from our area is Spirit and they charge for everything, even carry on and if you have to gate check they charge more than if you had checked the bag in the first place. They charge extra if you want to sit together as a family. They are called the airline with the most tacked on fees. We joke that soon they will start charging for the air you breathe on the plane. Nothing is free on that airline.

If it would save you money I would have a backpack and carry-on luggage. Although, when we traveled recently, they checked our bags at the gate since the plane was too small to put carry on luggage in the overhead. We didn't get out quick enough and someone took my daughters bag. Than, another time, they checked our luggage at the gate. One piece of luggage went where it should the other, did not. Luckily, all luggage did get back to us eventually. I have never had that happen. So, I would put something on your luggage, other than name tags to identify it easily from others. If you don't have to check it at the gate, than I wouldn't.

We just flew back from Chicago after spending 2 months. We had a lot of luggage because we packed school books, a few toys, leftover vitamins and food, etc. we checked 2 bags and carried on 3 for the 7 of us. I think if you pack well you could get away with one large checked bag under 50lbs(weigh it on your bathroom scale) and a couple of carryons. That's only $25-$50 depending on the airline but not as much hassle as trying to keep track of 5 pieces of luggage. We only had 3 carryons but we managed to abandon one as we were going through security. We recovered it, but it was a panic inducing moment.

If you decide to put the liquids in ziploc, each person gets one quart sized ziploc. If not, put the liquids in the carryon but be aware that liquids weigh a lot!