Menu

Does your dh help with HS?

He always balks when I suggest he help DD with a workbook or with a specific lesson, but he does a lot of things with her, explains a lot of stuff, shows her cool things on his computer, that sort of thing. He really excited her about the Mars landing, and they've been doing a lot of astronomy stuff all year, but nothing terribly formal.

Yes! I was pregnant most of last year and now have an almost 3-month old. DH did almost everything the last few months of my pregnancy. His schedule has him going to work at 11am so he could finish school with our 1st grader before leaving for the day. I think he is better at History and reading to our kiddos because he remembers dates and details so much better than I. And he does all of the fun voices while reading. I love how he just takes over without fear.

He happily provides the $$$$ and helps whenever I need him to, with whatever I need him to do. I don't ask for help unless I really need it though, the man works all day and does online college. He works 2nd shift, so he's here until 2:00 p.m. But he's so much better than me at math and science and loves doing the science experiments with him. If he's around when I'm teaching math or science, sometimes he can't help himself and waits for a pause and expounds on whatever it was we were talking about... sometimes, this leads to hands on activities.

I love my husband :)

No, other than moral support (and don't underestimate how important that is!) and not minding if we were out doing a field trip and didn't get home in time to cook dinner. :)

Mr. Ellie is out of the home upwards of 50 hours a week (counting travel time). I wouldn't expect him to do any real teaching.

We both work full time 40-50 hours a week. I am a full-time telecommuter and he has a flexible job that he can do from home occasionally. So, it is not uncommon for me to be working at 5am or him at 11pm. He helps with Beast Academy and we are starting science on weekends as a family and history projects as a family. He handles most pickup/drop off for activities and will have DD at his office several hours on Thursdays; she will have independent work to do. I do all planning and other 1:1 daily teaching. He handles most of the house stuff--cooking and cleaning.

Husband does science on the weekends. It took him 6 years to actually get around to doing it, but now that he is doing it, it is going very well. He also does programming (Python).

Finally, when my son needs to talk about Math and I don't have the mental focus to listen, Dad is more than happy to listen for an hour and get really involved.

Oh, also if my son runs into a problem that is too weird in the math (DS does math on his own), Dad might explain when he comes home at night. I could do that but

I don't have the interest any more.

(I teach Languages, English, History, and manage everything else).

I am a SAHM so husband pays for everything. (I tutor once a week but it is only a very small amount of $)

He is very supportive and gives me great freedom with $$$ for books and activities.

DH does oversee music practice, as I don't have a musical bone in my body. DH isn't very musical, but much more than I am. :lol:

He works 50-60 hours most weeks, though, so he isn't around to help/teach in a regular, formal manner.

We are very good at taking those educational moments when we can.

For example, we just went out for ice cream and ended up talking about our current literature selection. DH, thankfully!, read extensively as a child and remembers every book he ever read.

DH is also good about talking to DS about current events and science news, such as the Mars mission.

DH is a math wizard so I had hoped he could take over that subject. It didn't work, even when he was unemployed two years ago. His teaching style is so different than my son's learning style, that we all end up frustrated and in tears.

Oh, and he buys the wine and chocolate.
:glare:

Six years, I have been homeschooling and trying to train my DH to bring home wine and chocolate.

He still doesn't get it.

If we hit a milestone in school, DH will bring home a treat for DS (like a new book or game) but brings me nothing. :001_huh: :smash:

:glare:

Six years, I have been homeschooling and trying to train my DH to bring home wine and chocolate.

He still doesn't get it.

If we hit a milestone in school, DH will bring home a treat for DS (like a new book or game) but brings me nothing. :001_huh: :smash:

BOO! Your punishment/reward ratio must be off.

My DH acts like a terrific public school Dad in that he....

helps with high school math homework,

listens to small children talk about their school and show their work,

demonstrates concern about upper-elementary aged boys' grades and behavior,

speaks intelligently about news, politics, and faith at the dinner table,

models masculinity, responsibility, and compassion for our sons, and

attends parent-teacher conferences. At least he listens to me until he falls asleep, which I think is noble.

My DH acts like a terrific homeschool Dad in that he....

is willing to dress poorly, eat simply, and work hard so we can live just on his income,

doesn't mind when I buy books and then food,

doesn't mind that his family thinks we're weird,

chips in on the housework when he can (rare, but it's the thought that counts)..., and

is happy to let me make 100% of the decisions regarding our boys' homeschool education as long as I keep them up to ps grade level. Not that he would know what ps grade level is or even how to find out.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

My DH rarely gets involved with the schooling. If I set out things that need to be read through or done, he will make sure the kids will do them, but if they need help, they simply stop and wait until I get back.

He is excellent with helping out with household things though, mostly in the kitchen, but it's very much appreciated. He Often sends me out for a day if I'm hitting overload too.

My only actually homeschooling thing that I have gotten him to do for me on a relatively consistent basis, is a history project or building project maybe once a month, maybe.

He listens to me talk about school though, and is proud of his little family, despite the fact that his extended family thinks I'm insane and shouldn't be allowed near my kids.

Spanish and Art. He is fluent in Spanish and talented in art. I am neither of those things, so it makes more sense for him to oversee those subjects. He also oversees piano practice. Since he plays, he can give advice and directions that I never could. I do Math, Science, History, Computer Science, some LA, some music and art appreciation type stuff, Latin and handwriting at home. He has outsourced writing, Lego robotics, pottery and sewing starting in January.