Menu

S/O Most tear-jerking line in a movie

For me it's when Aurora Greenway in Terms of Endearment screams, "It's past ten. My daughter is in pain. I don't understand why she has to have this pain. All she has to do is hold out until ten, and IT'S PAST TEN! My daughter is in pain, can't you understand that! GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT! "

It doesn't look so moving in print but when she wails in the hospital I bawl like a baby.

For me it's when Aurora Greenway in Terms of Endearment screams, "It's past ten. My daughter is in pain. I don't understand why she has to have this pain. All she has to do is hold out until ten, and IT'S PAST TEN! My daughter is in pain, can't you understand that! GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT! "

It doesn't look so moving in print but when she wails in the hospital I bawl like a baby.

Just reading that brought it all back and tears have welled up. Talk about having your motherly instincts kick in.

I had a similar experience when my son was in a car accident. The nursing staff was overworked and were very slow bringing his meds. It was time for visitors to leave and I could feel them shooing us out the door. I very firmly and in a louder than normal voice said, "I'm not leaving until you bring my son his pain medication." My dh said he was very embarrassed but I just didn't care. They got right on it:).

And the part in that movie when Debra Winger's character is in the hospital, telling her oldest son that she knows he loves her, even if he pretends to hate her, and after she's gone to never forget that she knows that.

sobsobsob

Have any of you seen "Stella Dallas"?

It starred Barbara Stanwyck. It is a pre-war (WWII) black and white tear-jerker, which I remember watching on television with my mother as a little boy. I'll never forget how we both cried our hearts out.

Don't tell anyone.

Bill

It's a Wonderful Life, absolutely(!!), and Melissa, it's when Sally Fields in Steel Magnolias cries out, "I can run all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't...she never could!" That's it for me. :crying:

And regarding commercials, the old one where the oldest son comes home from college for the holidays and his younger sister comes down and tells him everyone is still sleeping, but he knows how get them up. The mom comes down stairs and says, "Peter!" I love that commercial (is it for Maxwell House?)...gets me every time!

You know what else gets me, for some reason, is in Casablanca when the crowd at Rick's stands up and sings the "Marseillaise". I tear up every time.

:iagree: Oh, Lord, I just played that on

recently for my kids. They LOVE to watch Mommy cry!

My ds11 thinks it's weird, because I've seen the movies numerous times, I know what's going to happen, but I still cry.

One is when Frodo sends Sam away. Then when Sam finds Frodo and thinks he is dead (he was stung by Shelob). Sam cradles Frodo and sobs, "Don't leave me, Mr. Frodo! Don't go where I can't follow!"

Then near the end when Aragorn is crowned, and he bows to the hobbits. "My friends, you bow to no one."

Gets me every time.

Wendi

the end of The Return of the King (both the book and the movie) when Frodo sails off to the Grey Havens, and Sam returns to Bag End alone, and says, "Well, I'm back."

I also cry at the end of "The Incredible Journey" (the kids' movie about the two dogs and a cat that return back to their family), when Shadow, the Golden Retriever, comes back to the family. It's stupid of me to cry---for Pete's sake, it's just a kids' movie, but I still tear up every time!

And the part in that movie when Debra Winger's character is in the hospital, telling her oldest son that she knows he loves her, even if he pretends to hate her, and after she's gone to never forget that she knows that.

sobsobsob

Yes! I think that is so noteworthy. It's so important to tell our loved ones on our deathbed (if we're lucky) that know matter what they've said or done or didn't do or say, it doesn't matter. We love them no matter what.

sobsobsob

YES!!!! And his younger brother is just standing there beside him, crying and crying. Oh that movie is just so heartbreaking to me. I think that is the all time saddest movie to me.

Erica

Just reading that brought it all back and tears have welled up. Talk about having your motherly instincts kick in.

I had a similar experience when my son was in a car accident. The nursing staff was overworked and were very slow bringing his meds. It was time for visitors to leave and I could feel them shooing us out the door. I very firmly and in a louder than normal voice said, "I'm not leaving until you bring my son his pain medication." My dh said he was very embarrassed but I just didn't care. They got right on it:).

This happened to me at the hospital. My dd was in the hospital for meningitis and she got a massive headache and was screaming. The nurse didn't want to inconvenience the doctor by calling for the meds!??? I almost made a scene like the one I quoted above. I'm still mad when I think about it.

Not quite a line, but Roy Batty's dying words in Blade Runner. I bawl like a baby.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen things you people wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t believe...
attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate...
all those moments will be lost in time, like... tears... in rain.
Time Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ to die.

sobsobsob

And it is worse if you have read the sequel. (I haven't seen the sequel, so I do not know if it would have the same effect.)

Oh, and I cry everytime Goose dies in Top Gun. One of these times that plane is not going to go into that spin.

Why'd ya have to go and bring up Goose, Caroline? Sheesh!

As to all the Terms of Endearment posts, lalalalalala, I can't heeeeaaaar you!:tongue_smilie: Lord, I hate that movie! And it still makes me cry. All the more reason to hate it.

The line that comes to mind for me is from the end of Braveheart, and it's just one word:

FREEEEEEDOOOOOOM!

Hands-down winner: The film montage at the end of "Cinema Paradiso", one of the best films ever. Ever. There are lines and scenes that make me cry in "Ordinary People" and "The Way We Were" (two of my other top ten movies), and of course in many other movies, too. But this one speechless scene, this scene of many scenes, is so powerful, so emotional, nothing holds a candle to it.

And it is worse if you have read the sequel. (I haven't seen the sequel, so I do not know if it would have the same effect.)

Oh, and I cry everytime Goose dies in Top Gun. One of these times that plane is not going to go into that spin.

Goose gets me every time. And I don't even like the movie, really.

I cry at a lot of movies, but I have to say, Driving Miss Daisy is way up there. It came to mind today when I was driving behind an antique car and THAT was enough to make me tear up.:crying:

All these movie lines had me tearing up!

Ok mine is a bit different.....In the movie Deep Impact (big meteor hitting the earth starring Tea Leoni) near the end of the movie when they are minutes away from a smaller meteor hitting the earth a mom and her husband are with their teenage daughter and baby when the teenage daughter's boyfriend arrives on a motorbike that can take them to higher ground safe from the ocean waves that will pour into the area when the meteor strikes. The scene is frantic as the mother and father literally force their teenage daughter on the back of the bike and then strap the baby in carrier onto the daughter saying "take the baby!". Even though it's a big melodramatic action movie it pierces my heart because I can feel the stress of the mother that she *must* save her children even if she herself cannot be saved.

Gladiator:

[after the final duel]

Maximus: Quintus! Release my men. Senator Gracchus is to be reinstated. There was a dream that was Rome. It shall be realized. These are the wishes of Marcus Aurelius.

and then...

Lucilla: Is Rome worth one good man's life? We believed it once. Make us believe it again. He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him.

Gracchus: Who will help me carry him?

[Gladiators surround Maximus to carry him out of the arena]

Cast Away:

Kelly Frears: You said you'd be right back.

Chuck Noland: I'm so sorry.

Kelly Frears: Me too.

The Little Princess (with Shirley Temple)

When she finally finds her father alive in the hospital, but he is in a state of delusion-

Sara Crewe: Daddy?

[shouts]

Sara Crewe: Daddy! I found you at last! Oh, Daddy, Daddy, you won't ever go away again, will you? Will you, Daddy? What's the matter, Daddy? Why won't you talk to me?

Captain Reginald Crewe: Sara...

Sara Crewe: Don't you know me, Daddy? I'm Sara, I'm Sara!

Captain Reginald Crewe: Sara... Where is my daughter...?

Sara Crewe: Oh, Daddy, something's happened to you! Oh, Daddy, you've got to know me! Look at me! Oh, Daddy...

Captain Reginald Crewe: You mustn't cry... We must be good soldiers...

Sara Crewe: But I have been a good soldier, and you don't know me, Daddy!

Captain Reginald Crewe: You mustn't cry... My daughter Sara never cries...

Sara Crewe: But I'm Sara!

[shouts]

Sara Crewe: I'm Sara!

Amistad:

Joseph Cinque: Give us, us free. Give us, us free. Give us, us free. Give us, us free. Give us, us free

Shawshank Redemption:

[last lines]

Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Shindler's List:

[at the end]

Oskar Schindler: I could have got more out. I could have got more. I don't know. If I'd just... I could have got more.

Itzhak Stern: Oskar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.

Oskar Schindler: If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money. You have no idea. If I'd just...

Itzhak Stern: There will be generations because of what you did.

Oskar Schindler: I didn't do enough!

Itzhak Stern: You did so much.

[schindler looks at his car]

Oskar Schindler: This car. Goeth would have bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people right there. Ten people. Ten more people.

[removing Nazi pin from lapel]

Oskar Schindler: This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this.

[sobbing]

Oskar Schindler: I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!

Million Dollar Baby:

Frankie Dunn: [to Maggie] All right. I'm gonna disconnect your air machine, then you're gonna go to sleep. Then I'll give you a shot, and you'll... stay asleep. Mo cuishle means "My darling, my blood."

Philadelphia:

this scene doesn't seem like much unless you know the context that he is dying-

[Andrew transcendentally describes his favorite opera]

Andrew Beckett: Do you like opera?

Joe Miller: I'm not that familiar with opera.

Andrew Beckett: This is my favorite aria. This is Maria Callas. This is "Andrea Chenier", Umberto Giordano. This is Madeleine. She's saying how during the French Revolution, a mob set fire to her house, and her mother died... saving her. "Look, the place that cradled me is burning." Can you hear the heartache in her voice? Can you feel it, Joe? In come the strings, and it changes everything. The music fills with a hope, and that'll change again. Listen... listen..."I bring sorrow to those who love me." Oh, that single cello! "It was during this sorrow that love came to me." A voice filled with harmony. It says, "Live still, I am life. Heaven is in your eyes. Is everything around you just the blood and mud? I am divine. I am oblivion. I am the god... that comes down from the heavens, and makes of the Earth a heaven. I am love!... I am love."

And, of course, Passion of the Christ in its entirety

I never used to cry at movies, but now I am the biggest softie.

But the movies that I cried in before I cried at movies were:

Sophie's Choice--where she had to pick which child would be killed, or they both would be, and she sent off her little girl.

and

The Color Purple--I don't remember which part. I think it was pretty continuous. Truthfully, I wanted the razor scene to turn out differently. Yup. Crying AND bloodthirsty, that was me.

Dead Poets Society when Ethan Hawke stands on the desk at the end and says, "O Captain, my captain."

Gladiator, when Maximus says, "Ancestors, I ask you for your guidance. Blessed mother, come to me with the Gods' desire for my future. Blessed father, watch over my wife and son with a ready sword. Whisper to them that I live only to hold them again, for all else is dust and air. Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity that you have taught me."

And, at the end of Finding Nemo when Dory says, "No. No, you can't... STOP. Please don't go away. Please? No one's ever stuck with me for so long before. And if you leave... if you leave... I just, I remember things better with you. I do, look. P. Sherman, forty-two... forty-two... I remember it, I do. It's there, I know it is, because when I look at you, I can feel it. And-and I look at you, and I... and I'm home. Please... I don't want that to go away. I don't want to forget."

I cry at pretty much everything. I just watched "Into the Woods", and I'm still sniffling.

But the line that popped into my head first is from "To Kill a Mockingbird": From the balcony, when the gentleman tells Scout, "Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise, your father's passing."

I can be flipping through channels, and just happen to hit this scene, and I start crying.

Fun thread.

Melissa

Well, I cry at everything, and my dd9 sits and looks at me like I'm an idiot. I took a bunch of kids (8 in total) to see Bridge to Terabithia (sp?) and 4 cried, 4 sniffed (heartless souls) while I basically wailed and sobbed loudly, would have left the theater if I didn't have them all with me.

The part in Happy Feet, when they said something like: "After a few days he had lost his voice, after a few months he had nearly lost his mind..." I thought that was the end, and I was with dd and a friend, who never cries, and kept looking at me like I was a lunatic, and I could barely keep in the sounds while I had tears rolling down my face. Totally traumatized me. Still haven't recovered. God, I hate that movie.

Four Weddings & A Funeral, when he recites the Auden Poem at the funeral--had always been one of my fave poems, but that really put it over the top--truly perfect scene sob-sob-sob.

The older I get, the more I cry. Terms of Endearment breaks my heart every single time (especially having read the sequel). Philadelphia - don't get me started. On the good side, it got me hooked on opera. It's a Wonderful Life - I break down everytime his brother says "To my brother George, the richest man in town."

I cry at pretty much everything. I just watched "Into the Woods", and I'm still sniffling.

But the line that popped into my head first is from "To Kill a Mockingbird": From the balcony, when the gentleman tells Scout, "Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise, your father's passing."

I can be flipping through channels, and just happen to hit this scene, and I start crying.

Fun thread.

Melissa

Oh. my. word. I completey forgot about that scene. I cry, sob really, every time I watch that. Gives me chills thinkin' about it.

Robert Duvall lives in a nearby county here in Virginia and I've heard of friends who have seen him in restaurants and such. I've always thought if I ever ran into him (not sure I'd recognize him) I'd just pass by and say, "Hey, Boo." :)

Life is Beautiful, when the little boy says, "We won! A thousand points to laugh like crazy about!" (Of course he says it in Italian which I can't speak :001_smile:) That movie makes me cry like a baby.

Anne of Avonlea: Paraphrasing of course from the scene when Anne goes to Gilbert's bedside as he is close to death.

Anne: It's a wedding present(referring to her book which she had dedicated to him).

Gilbert: There's not going to be a wedding, Anne.

Anne: Gilbert, don't talk like that. You're going to get better...

Gilbert: No, Anne, I mean I broke it off, there couldn't be anyone for me but you...blah blah blah, sniff, sniff, sniff

Swing Kids, at the end as the brother swings the umbrella while shouting, "Swing Heil!"

Everything Is Illuminated

Alex: We are searching for Trachimbrod.

Lista: You are here. I am it.

Laberinto del Fauno

Ofelia: Mercedes, do you believe in fairies?

Mercedes: No. But when I was a little girl, I did. I believed in a lot of things I don't believe anymore.

Ofelia: Last night a fairy visited me.

Water

Bhagavati: God willing she'll reborn as a man.

Away From Her

Fiona: I think I may be beginning to disappear.

Grant Anderson: [reading to Fiona from, "Letters From Iceland" by; W.H. Auden] Isn't it true however far we've wandered into our provinces of persecution, where our regrets accuse, we keep returning back to the common faith from which we've all dissented, back to the hands, the feet, the faces? Children are always there and take the hands, even when they are most terrified. Those in love cannot make up their minds to go or stay. Artist and doctor return most often. Only the mad will never, never come back. For doctors keep on worrying while away, in case their skill is suffering or deserted. Lovers have lived so long with giants and elves, they want belief again in their own size. And the artist prays ever so gently, let me find pure all that can happen. Only uniqueness is success. For instance let me perceive the images of history. All that I push away with doubt and travel, today's and yesterdays alike, like bodies.

I am not the best person to post on this thread -- geesh, just last week cried when the dad came home in Kit Kittredge! :tongue_smilie: I am one to tear up at commercials. Happy moments can make me cry as much as sad ones. But the Sally Field scene in Steel Magnolias...I could only watch that once. We are talking huge sobs and heaves. Just too sad. I know there are others...I know I have run out of napkins in theaters numerous times over the years, but I must have blocked them out because I can't think of any just now.

Yes, I often remembered this scene over the years!

I also cry at the end of "The Incredible Journey" (the kids' movie about the two dogs and a cat that return back to their family), when Shadow, the Golden Retriever, comes back to the family. It's stupid of me to cry---for Pete's sake, it's just a kids' movie, but I still tear up every time!

My sister had a dog who looked just like Shadow (some bloodlines) and we lost him to cancer when he was only 6, just after she gave him to me because she said he'd always thought he was my dog anyway. So that scene just rips me up... of course I can't hear the song "Feed Jake" without crying, either.

Just thought of one that always gets me crying... DH just hands me the box of tissues when he catches me watching it ... "Rudy", at the end where all the Notre Dame football players start chanting "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy..." and the whole stadium joins in... then Rudy gets sent onto the field and I just lose it.

....that I cried at (bawled, actually) was The Bucket List. The eulogy really got to me.

At the end Jack's character is giving Morgan's character a eulogy and says that he was glad that M's character thought it was worth getting to know him. While he's saying this you see J's character cross off this line from the list: help a perfect stranger for no good reason.

(Actually, it really is only sad if you've watched it.) It struck me that M's character did all that for J, just because, not necessarily to get anything out of it himself (which I previously thought).

Oh, also while the eulogy was going on you see J kiss his granddaughter for the first time and then you see him cross off this line from the list: kiss the most beautiful girl in the world.

I could go on...

I love Field of Dreams.

In the movie, there is a scene when a towns person, a really old guy, is describing what an amazing guy Doc Graham (Moonlight Graham) was and he talks about how much Doc loved his wife.

She always wore blue. The shopkeepers in town

would stock blue hats...because they knew if Doc walked by,

he'd buy one.

When they cleaned out his office...they found boxes of blue hats.....that he never

got around to give her.

The love and respect in his voice gets me every time!

A youtube of the scene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K-4BPvagIUk&feature=related

There is no way I could rate just one. I cry during commercials. If there is a moving moment in a movie, and I've seen it, I've probably balled like a baby.

Last week, I cried during the preview for "The Perfect Game" which showed before Wall-E. It's pretty pathetic when the preview to the movie makes me cry!!

When the youngest daughter tells her father, "Papa! Papa please don't go. I'll say anything, just tell me what you want me to say and I'll say it. Papa please don't go!"

:iagree: This is the exact one I was going to post--just the look on that little girl's face makes me cry. (from The Patriot)

Almost forgot! The most amazing movie I'll never forget, but can never see again--Life is Beautiful! Two most amazing scenes! When they are all about to be released, but the father is captured by the soldier--his son sees him, so he can do nothing--instead he acts as though he is still playing the game, and marches off to be shot, so that his son will be safe.

At the end of the movie, the son runs up to be reunited with his mother, still thinking it was all a game, and the last line is "Mama, we won, we won!".

Sob, sniff, sob! Gotta go cry now!

I always cry watching the ending of "The Champ" with Ricky Schroader (not sure of the spelling), when the character Ricky plays (when he was about 8 years old) is trying to wake up his dad after a boxing match, but his dad had already died of his injuries. I haven't watched it since I was a kid, but that part is so, so sad.

Colleen