Menu

Yes, you do need to LEAVE when your child vomits at a party.

I was at a graduation party yesterday. As I was sitting down to eat, a mom came rushing up behind me with a boy (7ish??). They got within two feet of the bathroom and the boy lost it entirely and vomited all over the floor. (Splattered my feet :ack2:). Poor kid was miserable and could. not. move. and continued vomiting right there for another minute or two. The party hostess came running up with paper towels, and she and I cleaned up the vomit while the mother helped her poor kid wipe his face and swallow a little water, etc.

I didn't mind being splattered (much) and didn't mind helping clean up. (I washed my hands immediately and sprayed them with household cleaner just to be on the safe side.) I felt so sorry for the poor kid gasping and throwing up in the hall.

Kid's mom then tells us that the kid had a headache from hitting his head earlier. At this point I became alarmed and advised her to at least call her doctor, as vomiting after a head injury could be an indication of something more serious. (Side story--a year ago my nephew fell off a ladder onto his head. My sister brought him to the hospital. It was the usual slow checking in, waiting around UNTIL nephew vomited. The nurse came in and my sister said, "He's just been vomiting." Nurse ripped open the curtain and shouted out, "Who wants my head injury with vomiting?!?!" and more than one doctor RAN over. It was just like you see on TV. Nephew had a concussion, poor kid.)

Anyway, the kid's mom said she was going to get her husband and leave. I thought no more of it.

UNTIL . . .

Two hours later, as I was leaving, I saw my ds playing croquet outside with the vomiting kid!!!! They DIDN'T leave!!!!!

I hope the kid is okay, and hope MY kid doesn't get sick. How unbelievably inconsiderate of both the kid (who did NOT look well or happy) and of every other person at the party.

That is all.

Honestly, some ppl have just no freaking sense.

I saw a thing on fb recently that said, "Common sense is so rare it should be considered a super power" (something to that effect).

Sadly true.

You need to put that in tour siggy before i do. :D

Oh brother!

People like this grind me no end.

I had a friend once, knowing that at the time our son's heart condition was not stable and we needed to do everything we could to keep him stablized, NOT tell her child was sick when she should have canceled her child's birthday party. Said child was running a fever of 104 and had been diagnosed with strep throat! We wisked ds out of there as fast as we could, but she kept on with the party and the other mothers didn't want their dear darlings to be disappointed and have to leave, so sick kid got pushed to play games, GO ON THE PONY RIDE OUTDOORS IN 22 DEGREE WEATHER, open gifts, etc. You know how kids are...they don't keep track of which glass is theirs or which fork, or whatever and they don't all wash their hands. Four kids from the party ended up with strep throat and the little girl became A LOT sicker and ended up in the ER that night. But, momma sure was glad she hadn't disappointed the little birthday girl by canceling the party. :001_huh:

Said mother eventually become a non-friend due to her lack of mental sense.

I swear, my generation has far too many whackadoodles procreating!

Faith

My sister told me just now that the sick kid and parents stayed for several more hours for the bonfire later that evening (kid threw up at about 3:30pm) and dancing on the deck. Apparently the sick kid's mom was moaning about having to get up for work the next day but said it would be okay, she'd just drink extra coffee to make up for the lack of sleep!!!!

My sister told me just now that the sick kid and parents stayed for several more hours for the bonfire later that evening (kid threw up at about 3:30pm) and dancing on the deck. Apparently the sick kid's mom was moaning about having to get up for work the next day but said it would be okay, she'd just drink extra coffee to make up for the lack of sleep!!!!

Aww, don't be that way. She was having fun! So what if her kids was green with nausea. If momma ain't happy no one is. :lol:

I agree and disagree....

Clearly the child's head injury should be immediately addressed.

Any my 7 year old would have been so embarassed that she would have WANTED to leave.

BUT... it doesn't sound like he was vomitting from a bacterial or viral infection (hence the 24 hour rule).

My brother used to get crazy motion sick. He'd throw up and then be fine ... until he got himself dizzy or got back in the car... then he'd often throw up again. He wasn't infectious to be around. (Strangely, this brother went onto Paratrooper school in the Army... though he did even then say he felt sick on the plane but the jump was fine - he said he had no trouble jumping out b/c he knew if he didnt jump out then he'd vomit from the motion sickness).

People used to think my mom was nuts for not taking him home - but he wasn't SICK (in a way that would make anyone else ill). So, people judged, but whatever. She had been a microbiologist in a hospital prior to having us - so she tended to be OVER cautious about spreading germs. :-)

Kind of like, you can throw up at work from morning sickness - no one is going to "catch" what you have.

If the kid was ill or at risk for making someone else sick, he should have been taken home. If he just threw up and was fine afterward, I see no problem in staying PROVIDED he and parents felt he could make it the restroom "in time" when he got the feeling.

I agree and disagree....

Any my 7 year old would have been so embarassed that she would have WANTED to leave.

BUT... it doesn't sound like he was vomitting from a bacterial or viral infection (hence the 24 hour rule).

My brother used to get crazy motion sick. He'd throw up and then be fine ... until he got himself dizzy or got back in the car... then he'd often throw up again. He wasn't infectious to be around. (Strangely, this brother went onto Paratrooper school in the Army... though he did even then say he felt sick on the plane but the jump was fine - he said he had no trouble jumping out b/c he knew if he didnt jump out then he'd vomit from the motion sickness).

People used to think my mom was nuts for not taking him home - but he wasn't SICK (in a way that would make anyone else ill). So, people judged, but whatever. She had been a microbiologist in a hospital prior to having us - so she tended to be OVER cautious about spreading germs. :-)

Kind of like, you can throw up at work from morning sickness - no one is going to "catch" what you have.

If the kid was ill or at risk for making someone else sick, he should have been taken home. If he just threw up and was fine afterward, I see no problem in staying PROVIDED he and parents felt he could make it the restroom "in time" when he got the feeling.

How on earth do you know whether or not he had an infection?

The bump on the head may have been the cause of the vomiting, or maybe not. Nobody knows. The mother in this case actively prevented herself from knowing one way or the other because she didn't talk to a dr and didn't take the time or consideration to isolate her potentially sick child for observation and rest.

She didn't mention motion sickness or habitual vomiting. Hostess and I chattered with her for several minutes after the incident.

I did throw up, daily, multiple times, in both pregnancies and lost weight because of it. I know it happens. Motion sickness or morning sickness are more often the exception than the rule.

Your statement that I bolded blows my mind with how inconsiderate that is. You would seriously allow a sick child to stay at a party as long as he could make it to the bathroom in time??? When that child has already NOT made it to the bathroom despite trying with all his (and his mother's) might to do so? You would expose all other kids and adults in the crowd to a virus to see if the kids throws up a second time? I will say it directly--that is rude and inconsiderate.

More often than not, when my now 3yo threw up, it was related to car-sickness. I would still exercise caution.

More often than not, when my oldest throws up, it is related to him "gorging" himself at a party, eating lots of sugar, pizza, soda...or eats a lot of food and then gets in a car for a long ride (this has happened often enough, but even this near-13yo is shocked when he has to have the driver pull over so he can toss his cookies on the side of the road).

However, in a party situation, even with these two who are known to upchuck without being ill, I'd probably be packing the kids to leave (unless I was 100% certain it was related to something they ate...for me, I can guarantee projectile vomit -exorcist style- if I eat peas, so I avoid them), the whole family would be packing to leave.

Generally, vomit once, rest and test for about 30-60 minutes and we have either confirmation of illness, over-indulgence, or car sickness.

OP - My point was - as I stated - that THIS child clearly need to be evaulated for his head injury

HOWEVER, I wouldn't go as far to say as ANY child that has vomittted within 24 hours shouldn't be at a party.

There are many reasons people vomit. Infection is one of them. There are others that aren't contagious.

If my kid hit their head hard enough to cost post-incident vomitting - you'd better believe I'd be at the ER for an MRI (been there!) Heck, whenever they hit their heads I'm grabbing my phone for the 'flashlight" app to check that their pupils are equal/reactive! :-)

But I WOULD NOT make a blanket statement that a child who vommited needs to be removed from the situation.

I stand behind my comment re: making it the restroom. Did the child not make it the first time b/c of some crazy circumstance? If there was no crazy mitigating circumstance, they the child was **not** able to make it in time and should be taken home as to not make others uncomfortable or soil the host's home - regardless of the reason behind the vommitting.

But, I know when my kids throw up b/c they are sick - or just car sick / motion sick /etc. I don't think a kid who is NOT infectious AND able to make it to the restroom needs to be removed from a social situation.

Same (imo) as keeping a kid who has a cough/runny at home when it is due to allergies vs. due to a bad cold. Allergies aren't contagious - so as long as they are handwashing/using tissues, I would let the child go to a party. A bad cold, they would have to stay home. :-(

Motion sickness or morning sickness are more often the exception than the rule

^^ Based on what?? I have thrown up in my life WAAAAAAAY more to motion sickness / morning sickness than illness. Like - probably 10 to 1. You may be completely different - but that's the point. Some people just throw up more than others.

My oldest occassionally throws up due to acid refulx. Not pleasant but not something anyone is goign to "catch". It's pretty clear when it's that - heartburn - followed by - Oh no, I should have taken a tums earlier- followed by "mom, I just threw up". She is also 7 btw. She has vommitted b/c of illness 3-4x in her life. The acid reflux happens 1-2 times every couple of months.

I stand behind my comment re: making it the restroom. Did the child not make it the first time b/c of some crazy circumstance? If there was no crazy mitigating circumstance, they the child was **not** able to make it in time and should be taken home as to not make others uncomfortable or soil the host's home - regardless of the reason behind the vommitting.

But, I know when my kids throw up b/c they are sick - or just car sick / motion sick /etc. I don't think a kid who is NOT infectious AND able to make it to the restroom needs to be removed from a social situation.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

If the kid vomited once due to something like carsickness, and then felt fine, that would be one thing. But you're acting as though it would be OK for a child who continues vomiting to stay at a party as long as he wasn't contagious and could make it to the restroom.

Sorry, but if he keeps vomiting, it's not carsickness any more. :glare:

And how about a little consideration for the hostess? Who in the world would want someone throwing up in their bathroom? Personally, if something like that happened in my home and the mom didn't pack the kid up and leave, I'd be telling her it was time to do so.

Additionally, if a child vomits repeatedly, I can guarantee you that he feels lousy and has no place at a party.

If the kid vomited once due to something like carsickness, and then felt fine, that would be one thing. But you're acting as though it would be OK for a child who continues vomiting to stay at a party as long as he wasn't contagious and could make it to the restroom.

Sorry, but if he keeps vomiting, it's not carsickness any more. :glare:

And how about a little consideration for the hostess? Who in the world would want someone throwing up in their bathroom? Personally, if something like that happened in my home and the mom didn't pack the kid up and leave, I'd be telling her it was time to do so.

Additionally, if a child vomits repeatedly, I can guarantee you that he feels lousy and has no place at a party.

:iagree:

Thank you for saying it so succinctly.

Where did I say "continual vommitting" would be OK?

But if a kid was motion sick or dizzy and threw up 1- 2 times I honestly don't see the big deal OTHER than the fact the kid was unable to make it the bathroom - which at 7, unless there was extenuating circumstances WOULD be cause to go home in case it were to happen again.

And as far as someone throwing up in my toilet when i'm having company.... umm.... that, I believe (among other things) is what the toilet is there for. I'm pretty sure a lot of gross stuff goes into my toilets on a daily basis!

I mean shi* happens. Sometimes vomiting comes out of nowhere. But I would not stay at a party after. WHY!?

Because you were just having so gosh darned much fun, and why let your annoying sick child ruin your fun? :glare:

I think you'd have to be a pretty selfish parent to force a sick child to remain at a party.

For that matter, I think you'd have to be a pretty unpleasant person to force a sick adult to remain at a party. Who wants to be sick at a party?

Vomiting is awful. :ack2:

^^ Completely agree! And thankfully, it sounds like this child enjoyed the rest of his evening /bonfire! I hope his mom wises up and gets the head injury checked out. I wouldn't mess around with that!

:iagree: I feel the mom owes the hostess an apology and you...a shoe cleaning and an apology. She would def. be on my list and not invited to future gatherings. This would be based on her parenting choice of ignoring her child's condition. I feel so bad for the little kid.

I

Where did I say "continual vommitting" would be OK?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intentions, but when you said, "when he got the feeling," it sounded like you meant he was going to vomit again. Otherwise, why would he be "getting the feeling?" You talked about being able to make it to the restroom in more than one post, and I don't know what else you could have meant:

If he just threw up and was fine afterward, I see no problem in staying PROVIDED he and parents felt he could make it the restroom "in time" when he got the feeling.

I don't think a kid who is NOT infectious AND able to make it to the restroom needs to be removed from a social situation.

Edited by Catwoman

...Personally, if something like that happened in my home and the mom didn't pack the kid up and leave, I'd be telling her it was time to do so.

That's what I don't get. I would absolutely ask a family with a sick child to leave. I had to do it last year. A teen boy showed up for a party at our house and as I greeted him with a "How are you?" he informed me he had been sick and was still running a fever. Luckily his mom hadn't left yet.

And as far as someone throwing up in my toilet when i'm having company.... umm.... that, I believe (among other things) is what the toilet is there for.

Seriously? :confused: :ack2:

Apparently, you are a far more gracious hostess than I am, because if people start throwing up in my toilets at a party, it's time for them to go home.

I don't need the mess and I don't want the germs, either.

I can understand that one vomiting episode could be unavoidable, but after that, it's time to hit the road. I would never remain at someone's home if I knew I was going to keep vomiting, and I would expect the same consideration from my guests.

Edited by Catwoman

You know what - why don't I go with this:

You're right.

Yes, you do need to LEAVE when your child vomits at a party

Every.Single.Time.

No.exceptions

Because there coudn't POSSIBLY any reason that it was okay to stay.

Are you happy now?

I guess I'm just coming from a different angle b/c my brother got chronic motion sickness (and by chronic I mean nearly daily) and my DD gets occassional acid relux.

But you are right. No excuses. Leave every.single.time.

You're right.

Every.Single.Time.

No.exceptions

Are you happy now?

I guess I'm just coming from a different angle b/c my brother got chronic motion sickness (and by chronic I mean nearly daily) and my DD gets occassional acid relux.

Wow. :001_huh: Bitter much? :confused:

You are being incredibly defensive here, and apparently you don't think it's OK for anyone to disagree with you. I was just trying to understand what you meant.

I'm sorry you are so offended, but I think you're being a bit too sensitive here. Certainly, my response to the situation would be different from yours, but I never said that my way was the only way, or that you weren't entitled to your opinion.

People disagree on this forum all the time, but we don't usually stomp off in a huff. I truly didn't mean to upset you, and I'm sorry we didn't agree on this issue, and I hope you're not taking my comments personally. I don't even know you, so please believe me when I say I have nothing at all against you.

Cat - I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to sound as huffy as I did when I reread.

You are right - it kind of is a personal issue with me b/c of DB and DD. My brother is 9 years younger than me and I watched him struggle with the vommitting growing up. Throwing up didn't bother him - people thinking he was "gross" and "full of germs" did. Does that make sense?

No hard feelings here- and hope none with you! :-)

Off to a bday party now - so I'm not leaving in a huff.

(PS its a pool party so hope no one throws up :001_smile:)

Cat - I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to sound as huffy as I did when I reread.

You are right - it kind of is a personal issue with me b/c of DB and DD. My brother is 9 years younger than me and I watched him struggle with the vommitting growing up. Throwing up didn't bother him - people thinking he was "gross" and "full of germs" did. Does that make sense?

No hard feelings here- and hope none with you! :-)

Off to a bday party now - so I'm not leaving in a huff.

(PS its a pool party so hope no one throws up :001_smile:)

Thanks for responding to my post -- I'm glad we're OK. :001_smile:

Now that you've explained more about your brother's vomiting, and how sad it made him feel, I can understand what you meant.

I was thinking (incorrectly, I now realize,) that you were talking about any kid who vomited repeatedly at a party, but hadn't already been sick, which made me think that the kid was almost certainly getting sick, because I wasn't thinking of other reasons why a kid would throw up like that.

But I do think that, in a case like your brother's, the mom would have immediately told the hostess that the vomiting was due to an ongoing medical issue, so no one would have been grossed out by it. (I wouldn't be upset at having a kid like that at my party -- although I would worry that the bathroom might not be clean enough for that close an inspection! :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks for clarifying. I do know what you meant now, and in that situation, I would agree with you.

And I really and truly hope no one has any "issues" at the pool party! :D

No, I'm sorry. If you are vomiting, experiencing explosive diarrhea, or bleeding from your head wound, you simply do not belong at a party. The end.

I am fairly certain that not a single person, when having their shoes splashed as they enjoy their meal, is particularly concerned about whether the cause is contagious, your IBS flaring, or just a flesh wound. They're just revolted. When you find yourself afflicted with something that is generally considered revolting outside of, say, an ER, it's time to take your leave.

You're right.

Every.Single.Time.

No.exceptions

Are you happy now?

Most people do not struggle with motion sickness. Your brother's experience is not the norm, and therefore is not the standard to which we all live. Naturally your brother's case should be treated differently.

Most of the time, unless there are those unusual circumstances, then YES, the child should leave the party. It is absolutely unfair to both the kid and everyone else there to wait to see if they throw up again.

In my situation, had you been there, you would have seen my showing a great deal of kindness and graciousness to the kid and the mom. I was the ONLY one on my hands and knees wiping up the mess. (Hostess was bustling about getting Pinesol and the mom was focused on her distressed son. Others stood watching.) I was also completely soothing and sweet and kind to both mom and kid. I offered to get my husband or my uncle to help carry the kid to the car. Taking care of the poor kid was my number one concern.

The mother had ample opportunity to say if her kid suffered from motion sickness or some other such unusual condition. She would have found me absolutely sympathetic to such concerns. She did not share any such information. Rather, she said he was probably nauseous because he had hit his head and because it was hot. That is when I shared my concerns for vomiting with a head injury and asked her to please call her doctor. Whether he had a virus or whether it was related to the head injury, either instance indicates that a party is not the appropriate place for the kid.

At the time that the kid vomited, he had been at the party for hours. I know this because his family had arrived early so that his father could help with set-up and with grilling.

I would not want a sick kid vomiting more than once in my toilet. This type of illness is usually transmitted orally, so when someone vomits in the bathroom, it's got to be cleaned or every other person who goes in there risks touching the virus as it splattered. When my own kids have a virus, I restrict that child to using only one bathroom, and the rest of us use some other bathroom in the house so that we can minimize the potential for the rest of the family to be ill.

Bottom line--it is rude to wait and see if a vomiting kid is going to vomit again, and rude to wait and see if it's viral or otherwise. Your brother's experience is obviously a different scenario than the one I described in my OP.

^^ Based on what?? I have thrown up in my life WAAAAAAAY more to motion sickness / morning sickness than illness. Like - probably 10 to 1. You may be completely different - but that's the point. Some people just throw up more than others.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think the 7 year old boy had morning sickness.

UUGGH!!!

I would have been trying to help them out the door. "Oh! That is so unfortunate! Let me help you get your things!"

That's what my etiquette guru, Miss Manners, says to do! "I'm so sorry you've fallen ill! We were really looking forward to this. You need to go home and rest so you can get better and come again." (grabs guest's coat, moves toward door)

You can be as solicitious and helpful as you can stand to be (puke tolerance levels vary), while helping them to their car or phoning a cab or whatever. You can indeed be a polite person and still escort a yakking guest out the door.

I mean, what's the alternative. Let everybody else at your party be too grossed out to enjoy themselves (best case) or all come down with the bubonic plague because you let a sick person stay (worst case). Neither end of the spectrum is very hospitable to everyone else!

Yes, a barfing child is a departing child for something fun and optional like a party. Barf upsets other people. Even if you are 100% certain that the child is not contagious, it makes others at the party uncomfortable to be around the kid who "might be germy." It's just the kind and right thing to do, leave. It makes the kid more comfortable and certainly makes the guests more comfortable.

Now, other times it's more difficult such as when you're catching a plane and can't reschedule. Then you do the best you can. Or you are in labor and are arriving at the birthing center! But, a vomiter needs to leave.

FWIW, I don't always trust a parent's assessment of "He's not contagious." How does that parent know? Yes, maybe the child does throw up after long car rides or whatever but just because the child throws up after long car rides doesn't mean he doesn't have the latest germ going around. The line "he's not contagious" means about the same to me as the puppy owner's "he's just very friendly" as the dog jumps on me and scratches me...

And, I agree, the head bump earlier in the day warrants an ER visit. DS did that years ago (and threw up after the ER when he conked his head -- on the carpet inches away from the tile floor of the bathroom -- sigh -- why did the ER give him an ORANGE popsicle???).

I saw a thing on fb recently that said, "Common sense is so rare it should be considered a super power" (something to that effect).

Sadly true.

I SO want to make that my FB status. :D

I agree and disagree....

I get what you are saying, and I don't have any experience with motion sickness (Thank goodness!)

My only hesitation would be that my kids, for example, don't really act very sick when they are sick. They throw up, they go back to playing. They run around like healthy kids except for their 101* fevers. :tongue_smilie: So I can see instances where a kid would seem perfectly fine after throwing up, but could still be contagious. Idk. I guess it's one of those things that it just depends on the kid and the parent knowing what to look for in their kid. I also had one who made himself so upset about something he threw up. :rolleyes: So I've been on that end of it, too, where I know there's nothing wrong with them.

I would be grossed out though. I hate vomit. And I REALLY dislike other kids' bodily fluids, period. Whether it be saliva, sweat, vomit, whatever... :ack2: Yuck. Hopefully the mom was at least keeping an eye on him to be sure he was ok.

OH, another of my favorites? When someone says, 'Oh, yeah, he had a fever but I gave him tylenol and it's gone now.'

.... :svengo: .... :banghead:

While I do empathize w/a kid that gets motion sick (isn't that why Gravol was invented?) I really don't get the debate. Really.

Puke = leave is just the most succinct way I could think of.

Nobody wants to be around a puking kid or adult. Many ppl, myself included, see a puker, hear a puker, smell a puker = be a puker.

And as a hostess, no, I do NOT want to clean up your kid's woof. (See above).

If someone has such motion sickness, there are alternatives. Gravol, or a similar antinausea med. Sea bands. Ginger drops. (I'm just going off of what pregnant women use, which is also recommended for motion sickness. I'm certain that a competant Dr would have more ideas) Hurling at someone else's house really should never be an intentional option.

:iagree: In my profession it's called job security.

Sadly true.

If common sense were common I couldn't pay my mortgage and feed my family. It's unfortunate, but true, that all diseases could be cured and I'd still have a job.

Hopefully the mom was at least keeping an eye on him to be sure he was ok.

OH, another of my favorites? When someone says, 'Oh, yeah, he had a fever but I gave him tylenol and it's gone now.'

.... :svengo: .... :banghead:

Right with ya on the fever thing. That sort of statement gets no mercy from me.

I'm actually not hugely over-protective about illness. I have willingly babysat other people's sick kids specifically because those others didn't have any option but to go to work or lose his job, and because the kid is someone I love, I stepped in and just washed my hands a lot. Many times, over many years.

On the other hand, a kid who is feverish, or vomiting, or obviously sick in some way (copiously dripping nose or the like) should NOT be out at a party or participating in a sport or whatever.

As for the mom at the party--no, she did not keep an eye on her kid. When I noticed him playing croquet with my son, I specifically looked all over for her and didn't see her. My sister later told me that neither of the kid's parents were particularly supervisory.

Goodness.

I'm emetophobic so I would have been out the door with my kids as soon as the first well... splatter hit the floor. (cringe) Then we would have gone home and properly bathed... in bleach. :D

Anywho... I do hope the poop little fella is okay. And I hope your child doesn't come down with anything. If it was a virus, it might take 48 hours for symptoms to appear.