Menu

Okay, I officially HATE NBC!!

Yuck! What a bummer!!!

I will admit that I am normally not interested in the Olympics (no tomatoes, please!), but for some reason, this year the kids and I have enjoyed watching. My 8 yo ds is a swimmer, so we have enjoyed that, in particular. We were so looking forward to watching tonight...:glare:

Our local news idiots spoiled it by saying something cryptic that wasn't really that cryptic at all. First thing! With no warning! Idiots!!

That's one perk of having the Olympics broadcast live--no spoilers. I like when they are here, just and solely for that reason. :tongue_smilie:

I'm so bummed!!

There is not one news site you can go on that hasn't spoiled it. I guess I have to watch and read no news until the Olympics are over.

So stupid! Even the nbc olympics page that has video to watch is spoiling things. I can't look up any sport without news on the finals. I was so excited to watch on the computer and they are messing up my experience :(

I managed to hum loudly while looking away until DH got the point and switched from the news, but I was spoiled for a women's race I was excited to see.

If I remember correctly from the 2000 and 2004 Olympics a total media shutdown is the way to go. I am sticking to a couple message boards, a few blogs, and no news channels while the swimming and gymnastics is being aired.

:glare:

Thanks NBC!

If I remember correctly from the 2000 and 2004 Olympics a total media shutdown is the way to go. I am sticking to a couple message boards, a few blogs, and no news channels while the swimming and gymnastics is being aired.

:glare:

Thanks NBC!

We will CERTAINLY be doing this from here on out! I sure hope the Zombie Apocalypse doesn't happen during the next two weeks! If it does...I'm depending upon the Hive to send out a *heads up* 'cause I sure won't get it on the news!

We will CERTAINLY be doing this from here on out! I sure hope the Zombie Apocalypse doesn't happen during the next two weeks! If it does...I'm depending upon the Hive to send out a *heads up* 'cause I sure won't get it on the news!

LOL!

I guess a media blackout it is.

Do you think my local newspaper will spoil as well?

They do that every time the Olympics is aired. I ban all News Programs and News Sites during the Olympics. We live on the west coast so we have to wate hours to see the coverage.;) I accidently saw the swim results earlier because me dh went to Yahoo.:glare:

Did you hear Bob at the beginning of the Olympic coverage? He explained that the events weren't live, but not to worry...there'd be no spoilers.

He should call the blasted news rooms.

What about Brian Williams reporting on Micheal Phelps saying, "oh we said no spoilers for those who are waiting to watch the events on primetime, but this news has already gone around the world." :glare:

I'm so bummed!!

There is not one news site you can go on that hasn't spoiled it. I guess I have to watch and read no news until the Olympics are over.

So stupid! Even the nbc olympics page that has video to watch is spoiling things. I can't look up any sport without news on the finals. I was so excited to watch on the computer and they are messing up my experience :(

My dh has been hating on NBC all day. :glare:

:iagree::iagree: NBC's actions have been inexcusable. It would be one thing if we could go to another station to watch the games and could avoid all of their stupidness and aggravation, but no we don't have a choice. They should be ashamed of themselves how they are butchering these games for us all here in the US. :(

:iagree::iagree: NBC's actions have been inexcusable. It would be one thing if we could go to another station to watch the games and could avoid all of their stupidness and aggravation, but no we don't have a choice. They should be ashamed of themselves how they are butchering these games for us all here in the US. :(

I also agree. I got fed up with it last night and went to bed with a book. It's just not the same when you already know who is going to win. :glare:

Now, not to diss our Auzie friends, but the last thing on the coverage last night was the medal count by country. Except it wasn't, since they decided not to include all countries. And what stupid reason did they have for including Australia with one gold medal versus Kazakhstan with one gold medal too? (I actually have no idea if anyone else from Kazakhstan won since no shooting was shown at all), The road race in cycling was that morning and it was an exciting finish with none of the favorites winning and instead a 39 year old Russian ethnic Kazakhstanian who first was in the Olympics in Atlanta.

I loved watching the Olympics when we lived in Europe. We had AFN but didn't watch the American coverage. The last tenants had left another satellite dish and we could see some European channels on that. Well one of them was Eurosport and that carried the Olympics and that was what we watched. The coverage was so much better. No sappy stories, more sports.

It was added to the growing list of issues :glare:

-ADHD style of showing events

- difficult website to maneuver

-difficulties trying to find the events my kids have a slight interest in only to have them coupled up with other events

-Ryan Seacrest. :tongue_smilie:

Can someone explain to me why Ryan Seacrest was there?

Can someone explain to me why Ryan Seacrest was there?

That's kind of like the answer to the old Tootsie Pop commercial...the world may never know. :lol:

Chris, we are noticing those things too. It's rather aggravating. They seem to think they know what *we* want. In our case, they couldn't be more wrong.

Ryan Seacrest is providing "color"--he's chatting up the athletes and giving the backstories. I remember loving the way ABC did it back in the day; to me, Ryan is OK, and his interview skills are pretty good, but I like to go visit the hometowns of people from around the world and see their stories, y'know? Not just the USA folks.

I DON'T like the person who anchored the broadcast during the day yesterday. He's unfamiliar! I want someone I know! I miss Jim McKay. :001_smile:

I HATE THEM TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone, for the love all people in the world, put a gag on Bob Costas!

Seriously, the olympics have been a disaster in terms of broadcasting ever since the contract was awarded to NBC.

I stayed up until 11:30 last night watching men's gymnastics at mil's last night. They never showed any rings events or vaults. Got up today and watched the 16 minute highlight video and saw some of those...it's exceedingly MADDENING when you get more on the video after the fact than during prime time broadcasting. I've decided I won't be going up there to watch it on cable anymore. If I'm patient and wait for the next day, I'll be able to see more online. On top of which, the NBC streaming during the day doesn't have ridiculous commentary and drama, just sports and a few ads....far, far fewer ads. It's much nicer.

Faith

We can't watch at all online, since we don't have "a cable tier that includes msnbc and cnbc" or whatever the heck it is. We use an antenna. :glare: Stupid NBC.

On a related note, if anyone knows of a good proxy server that's actually working right now that I can use to watch UK or Canadian coverage, do pm me...

It was added to the growing list of issues :glare:

-ADHD style of showing events

- difficult website to maneuver

-difficulties trying to find the events my kids have a slight interest in only to have them coupled up with other events

-Ryan Seacrest. :tongue_smilie:

Add

- Completely left out an entire (closing!) part of the opening ceremony which featured a traditional British hymn and a dance performance as a nod to "those who can't be with us", (widely interpreted as a reference to London's 7/7 terrorist bombings). (Watch it here.) AND. THEY. DIDN'T. EVEN. MENTION. IT. :confused:

- Oh, and they can't pronounce the names of assorted countries. Seriously, wouldn't you study up? And maybe have a cheat sheet handy?

#NBCfail

We can't watch at all online, since we don't have "a cable tier that includes msnbc and cnbc" or whatever the heck it is. We use an antenna. :glare: Stupid NBC.

On a related note, if anyone knows of a good proxy server that's actually working right now that I can use to watch UK or Canadian coverage, do pm me...

On another thread someone mentioned tunnelbear.com. I used that app to see the Phelps race yesterday on BBC's iPlayer hours before it aired on NBC, and it works pretty well.

I "loved" how they talked on and on and on about the name Chinese Taipei instead of anything about the athletes.

"In Finland, speeding ticket fines are doled out according to income."

And I am sorry to say it, folks, but the "Forever Young" look isn't fooling everyone. Meredith, Bob, and Matt, you're all totally ancient. The bubbly teen routine is what's creepy.

I "loved" how they talked on and on and on about the name Chinese Taipei instead of anything about the athletes.

"In Finland, speeding ticket fines are doled out according to income."

And I am sorry to say it, folks, but the "Forever Young" look isn't fooling everyone. Meredith, Bob, and Matt, you're all totally ancient. The bubbly teen routine is what's creepy.

:iagree:

Do they know how ridiculous they are???? :confused:

Faith

Add

- Completely left out an entire (closing!) part of the opening ceremony which featured a traditional British hymn and a dance performance as a nod to "those who can't be with us", (widely interpreted as a reference to London's 7/7 terrorist bombings). (Watch it here.) AND. THEY. DIDN'T. EVEN. MENTION. IT. :confused:

- Oh, and they can't pronounce the names of assorted countries. Seriously, wouldn't you study up? And maybe have a cheat sheet handy?

#NBCfail

Just grr... :glare:

I HATE THEM TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone, for the love all people in the world, put a gag on Bob Costas!

Seriously, the olympics have been a disaster in terms of broadcasting ever since the contract was awarded to NBC.

Faith

:iagree::iagree::iagree: They are HORRIBLE!!!

I don't think you are safe from spoilers anywhere. We heard the results of the swimming race while listening to NPR. :glare:

:iagree:

I like to read Real Clear Politics, even they had a spoiler headline, they are normally safe from that type of thing. And, I had gone out of my way to avoid sites where I might see a spoiler.

Us, either. I was hoping to catch a few of the less-popular events, but I guess that won't be happening. We have cable, but it only has plain NBC and not any of the other channels they're broadcasting on.