Menu

1st day of school plans?

fourcatmom

DD entering K will get her schultutte, and all three have a box of special school items they are getting (thinking putty, new lanyards for their library cards, stencils, etc). We will review old and learn new procedures and rules. we will assemble materials (binders, folders etc) they need. Then we have a project to make school kits for kids in third world countries (sewing the bags and assembling the supplies). Then we will probably go fishing!

DD entering K will get her schultutte, and all three have a box of special school items they are getting (thinking putty, new lanyards for their library cards, stencils, etc). We will review old and learn new procedures and rules. we will assemble materials (binders, folders etc) they need. Then we have a project to make school kits for kids in third world countries (sewing the bags and assembling the supplies). Then we will probably go fishing!

That's cool. I really want to give them something but I don't know what it should be. I was going to order some Ancient style pens from Etsy for my dd that is going to be going into Ancient History but I lost the link and can't find them. I wanted to something that was meaningful but also somewhat related to school. ??? I think the idea of sending the bags with supplies is really neat. Where did you get involved in that?

That's cool. I really want to give them something but I don't know what it should be. I was going to order some Ancient style pens from Etsy for my dd that is going to be going into Ancient History but I lost the link and can't find them. I wanted to something that was meaningful but also somewhat related to school. ??? I think the idea of sending the bags with supplies is really neat. Where did you get involved in that?

Through my church :001_smile: Anyone can contribute, here is the link (these kits a about half way down the page).

The things I am giving them are somewhat school related. The thinking putty is for playing with as a fidget, the lanyards hold library and YMCA cards on them, the smencils (not stencils) are good for any pencil work, and then I have some individual items (DD is doing chemistry so I got her a nerdy chemistry t-shirt, DS is getting a Chinese calligraphy set for Ancients, etc). I think I could wrap up almost anything (last year i wrapped up beeswax crayons and a rock sample box) and they would get excited about it! Have fun!

We start with a family holiday - Not Going Back to School Day! Each kid gets a brand new pair of pajamas, which they get to wear all day, outings and all. I give them a first day of school paper, for them to write down favorite things, what they hope to get better at, and such. We play games, bake cookies, go to the park, talk about why we enjoy homeschooling, and such. Usually we end up tossing around old favorite homeschooling related memories somewhere in there.

They love the reactions being out in pjs on the first day of school gets. They wear them proudly. LOL We also take their "school" pictures that day.

Last year I decorated our work room - streamers, balloons, homemade banners, large number "1" and "3" for their new grade levels, special books and supplies. The girls are hoping for something similar this year. I have some new books and surprises packed away. I'm also working on a school logo and mascot. Nearly finished, so I'd love to have tshirts printed as an extra special surprise. We typically go over rules and procedures, changes from last year, expectations, review the schedule, Q & A session. And, we usually do some work. It's a pretty full (fun) day.

Our first official day will be Aug 16, and we will have just rolled in from vacation the night before. So, after getting Mo up and out the door for her first day of first grade at her new school (a new project-based learning charter), Miss P and I will go to the coffee shop for tea and pastries and a Student-Teacher Conference. We'll talk about goals, roles, expectations, plans, etc. for the new year. We'll also take a look at the schedule I've put together and talk about implementation. We'll make sure we've incorporated my must-dos and her want-to-dos. We'll probably read a couple of chapters from our RA book (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), hit the library and put all our science/history books on hold, go pick up the microscope we're borrowing from a friend, and get all our supplies organized. Oh, and most exciting for her, we will order Equine Science - that, along with The Creative Writer and LOF Fractions, are the things she has chosen for independent work on Autodidact Fridays - time we've carved out for her to pursue her own academic interests (while I work).

We've been talking about this stuff for a few weeks, off and on, but I think a "formal meeting" will help put us back in the right frame of mind for starting the year off right! I'm very excited about it, and she is too, especially about her Fridays!

We start with a family holiday - Not Going Back to School Day! Each kid gets a brand new pair of pajamas, which they get to wear all day, outings and all. I give them a first day of school paper, for them to write down favorite things, what they hope to get better at, and such. We play games, bake cookies, go to the park, talk about why we enjoy homeschooling, and such.

Love these ideas! :)

We do "Not Back to School Day" too. The kids pick some venue that is super fun and packed during the summer and we go on the first day of school, so that while everyone is posting first day of school pics on Facebook, we also have some fun memories to post/record.

Our first day of school is always a light day. We start with a treasure hunt, the treasure is a big box with school supplies, games, etc. We make a sign with their name and grade level, take pictures, and fill out our first day of school booklet. We start new read-alouds, play with our new games, have a special snack. The treasure hunt is the most fun.

Last year I decorated our work room - streamers, balloons, homemade banners, large number "1" and "3" for their new grade levels, special books and supplies. The girls are hoping for something similar this year. I have some new books and surprises packed away. I'm also working on a school logo and mascot. Nearly finished, so I'd love to have tshirts printed as an extra special surprise. We typically go over rules and procedures, changes from last year, expectations, review the schedule, Q & A session. And, we usually do some work. It's a pretty full (fun) day.

Love the room decorating ideas! How do you keep it a surprise?

Our first day of school is always a light day. We start with a treasure hunt, the treasure is a big box with school supplies, games, etc. We make a sign with their name and grade level, take pictures, and fill out our first day of school booklet. We start new read-alouds, play with our new games, have a special snack. The treasure hunt is the most fun.

I love your ideas! Thanks for the links and the booklet download. Now to think up some appropriate clues for our treasure hunt! :001_smile:

On the first day of school we have a dress code, because the kids get their pictures taken, and then they walk to school with their books. (They go around the block). My neighbors all think this is hilarious and cheer them on!

We did a booklet for the first day of K...but now I think we'll do it yearly. And I love that you had your kids decorate their grade signs for pics -- wish I'd thought of that last year! And I love the treasure hunt!

(So, all in all, I love just about everything you shared, LOL...thanks! :D)

We are going to make a time capsule using a paper towel roll. Inside we will include a photo (and/or self-drawn portrait) from the first day of school, a string measuring her height, and her handprint. I will also ask her to write about her feelings and expectations for the year and put that in as well. I think she will enjoy this activity as well as opening this up at the end of the year. :001_smile:

We start with a family holiday - Not Going Back to School Day! Each kid gets a brand new pair of pajamas, which they get to wear all day, outings and all. I give them a first day of school paper, for them to write down favorite things, what they hope to get better at, and such. We play games, bake cookies, go to the park, talk about why we enjoy homeschooling, and such. Usually we end up tossing around old favorite homeschooling related memories somewhere in there.

They love the reactions being out in pjs on the first day of school gets. They wear them proudly. LOL We also take their "school" pictures that day.

Love the pj idea!

On the first day of school we have a dress code, because the kids get their pictures taken, and then they walk to school with their books. (They go around the block). My neighbors all think this is hilarious and cheer them on!

How fun, walking to school is awesome!

We start with talking through goals and plans. If we are changing any procedures we discuss that. We go out to eat with friends who homeschool. In the past we've gone swimming but I have a broken ankle so not sure if we will do that. I take first day pics. Not sure what I'll do this year.

This year the first day is also dds Bday So I need to make it extra special. If dh takes the day off we might do something bigger.

I love the pj idea. I'd love doing their pics in pjs. I may have to see if I can find some mine would like. I'm not sure if they'd cooperate with wearing them off, lol.

Our homeschool group does a not-back-to-school day. We usually have already started our curriculum (if I start early, I don't end up behind at the end of the year, when I am - ahem - slightly less motivated:D). We either go to a beach or someone on the lake hosts... This year it's at our place and the boys are super excited!

This year will be different for us since older dd will be going to a "real" school this year, and younger will be home alone with me all year. We're starting our school-lite work next week with reading and math and easing into our school year daily schedule. Then the week after my ds goes back to college and youngest and I will be alone for the whole week - I'm taking her to pony camp at the zoo for two hours everyday. It will help with the empty feeling we get when her brother leaves. We'll continue gradually adding to our school-lite program until her enrichment school starts back in September. We'll have school for more than a month before her first official day back to school which will start with pancakes and pictures.

I also plan pancakes and pictures for ds's back-to-school-flight day and dd's first day of real school day.

We school year-round, but celebrate "Not Back to School Day" every year on public school's first day. I take the kids for donuts and we head to the park for a while :)

(eta: they also make a poster with "Not Back to School" and the year on it, and hold it up while I take their picture).

Edited by Momof3littles

We school year-round, but celebrate "Not Back to School Day" every year on public school's first day. I take the kids for donuts and we head to the park for a while :)

(eta: they also make a poster with "Not Back to School" and the year on it, and hold it up while I take their picture).

We do a field trip week the week that the public schools go back. Children's museum, science museum, zoo, and the airplane museum. The schools haven't gotten organized enough to start field trips, so it is a really quiet week.

Great ideas and love the booklet! I never thought of a "Not back to school day" awesome!

We do a field trip week the week that the public schools go back. Children's museum, science museum, zoo, and the airplane museum. The schools haven't gotten organized enough to start field trips, so it is a really quiet week.

Oh, great point!

I believe we'll be hitting the Children's Museum!

These are such great ideas. For my kids my plans are to go by Krispy Kreme's and order a box of donuts, then we will go to the park where I will take there school pictures and let them play for a while. After that we will go home, go through all our curriculum and expectations for the year.

^^^^This is awesome! I definitely need to do something fun like this. Thanks for the ideas!

I love your ideas! Thanks for the links and the booklet download. Now to think up some appropriate clues for our treasure hunt! :001_smile:

You're welcome, I love doing the treasure hunt, I want to make the clues harder next time but still involve all of them. Maybe I'll do different clues for each of them.

We did a booklet for the first day of K...but now I think we'll do it yearly. And I love that you had your kids decorate their grade signs for pics -- wish I'd thought of that last year! And I love the treasure hunt!

(So, all in all, I love just about everything you shared, LOL...thanks! :D)

The grade signs that they decorate make great keepsakes. I love to see how their colouring skills change over the years. I'm wondering if I will still be able to get them to do it when they are teenagers! ;)

I love the idea of new pj's and they get to wear them all day!

These are great ideas too! I am working on my "fun hsing mom badge" and these will definitely help out so Thank You!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well our first day is the last day of summer here before ps starts. So I am going to do a special breakfast and I'm using the theme of a "magical year". After our special breakfast we will do our bible study and devotion, read a poem and then move on to the school room tour. I'm going to show the kids where everything is and go over the rules and expectations. I'm then going to give one child a break while I have time with the other to do goals, questions, concerns and go over their books and expectations. THen we'll switch. After that I'm going to do a fun activity with magic and then we have the book THe Houdini Box that looks like a fun read. We'll do lunch at our aquatic club where they are doing a magic show and we'll swim. It's more an orientation type day but that way on the first real day of school we can go full swing into it.

Our first day is just a party day and we've been making some plans this week for our first day. At this point it seems like we are going to be opening presents (new school books), first day pictures, having a popping balloons game, a flour fight, doughnuts on a string, guess the number of jellybeans in a jar, and making brownie milkshakes. Each kid will throw a whipped cream pie in my face too.:glare::tongue_smilie: At least that is the plan for now. We will probably watch a movie together after everyone gets cleaned up.

We do a "Not back to school day" the first day ps starts.

It's like a holiday around here. They get gifts (school supplies, clothes including pj's). We also do a scavenger hunt, go out for brunch, go on a field trip somewhere, take pictures, everyone writes their favorites down/what they're excited about and we don't do any school work!! :001_smile: