Menu

Would you....

I might leave a 9 year old home alone for very short periods or with an older sibling. With 2 other very young sibs - no way.

If the 1 and 4 year old were goldfish or cats, I would agree, that might be ok depending on the 9 year old. :D

I would need more information to answer this question. We have a responsible just turned 10 year old and DH has left the 18 month old at home with him for example at 6:30 in the morning when he drives my step-daughter to her bus stop 2 miles down the road. If it was nap time or early morning and the 1 year old and 4 year old are asleep then I would be more likely to leave them in the house for a very short trip. But if I was going to be gone for more than 15 minutes or the younger two are up awake and generally be 1 and 4 than no I would not leave them.

NO! Is that legal?

I just checked. In my state, there is no legal minimum age for kids to be left home alone. However, legally, a child must be 11 years old to babysit.

Edited by mo2
typo

It would depend on: the personality of the nine-year-old; the length of time the parents will be gone; how far away the parents went; the time of day; etc.

I've left my very rules oriented 9 year old and my seven year old alone together in the middle of the day, taking my two year old while I ran to the store, two minutes away, to get a single ingredient I needed to finish something. I would not leave them long enough to do a whole grocery shopping trip. (they were watching a movie quietly when I left.) I've left the 9 year old playing a computer game with the napping two year old while I walked the seven year old down the street.

I would not leave him with both girls, or for longer than 20 minutes with one of them, or after dark, etc.

no

I think my boys were around 11 or 12 before I left them home alone. My now 14yo was able to watch his younger siblings, who were 7 and 8 at the time, when he was nearly 13. I babysat young kids when I was 12yo. I don't think I'd leave a 9yo in charge of other kids, especially as young as 1 and 4yo.