Menu

Question about how to feed my baby

Having "underweight" babies really sucks. :( I'm freaking out again because, once again, my child is underweight. I go through this every time I breastfeed. He was in the 15th %ile or so, now he has probably dropped to around the 3rd %ile. I haven't taken him in for a well child in a few months. He's 11 months old and has only gained about 3 ounces in 3 months. :( I weigh him at home. He is getting more active and just not eating much other than breastmilk. He won't take any baby foods. He won't take formula. He likes eating table foods, but I'm not giving him much other than rice Chex and chicken and some cut up fruit. I'm not sure what to give him that is:

1. non-allergenic

2. Baby okay, not too hard on the digestive system, not choke-able, etc.

Fruits? Veggies? Fine, but it's not like that will put on weight. Should I try him on baby yogurt even though I am deathly allergic to dairy? Several of my kids tolerate dairy fine. Will he eventually like formula? I've tried it with him many times over the course of a couple of months and he acts like I am poisoning him. Should I add chocolate syrup to it? (a trick my mom suggested)

He's not wasting away or anything, here is a recent picture. He's just too skinny, IMO. :( (he's the baby baby in the picture :) )

ETA: More pictures of him on the next page :)

20120713-DSC_4223.jpg

Edited by blessedwinter

Cute kids!

When my son was below the 5th percentile I would feed him table foods like avocado and egg yolk. We had no allergies to deal with so he was drinking cow's milk in addition to nursing around that age. He also liked shredded cheese. I gave him some of those Vienna Sausages cut up too (not the healthiest choice).

Honestly, he looks fine, in fact, he's absolutely adorable! And this from a women who's 8 mos old is 23 lbs. :)

Remember that those charts represent the range of normal. If he's on the charts he's normal, not underweight. My boys tend to be on the opposite extreme but still on the charts and so neither I nor my doctor worry about it.

I'm not sure what to give him that is:

1. non-allergenic

2. Baby okay, not too hard on the digestive system, not choke-able, etc.

Fruits? Veggies? Fine, but it's not like that will put on weight. Should I try him on baby yogurt even though I am deathly allergic to dairy? Several of my kids tolerate dairy fine.

How long ago was he at the 15th percentile? A drop is what would concern me more than a low percentile that stayed the same.

A few random ideas:

Olive oil and pasta

Olive oil and ____

Meatballs (make with mixer for more finely chopped meat; then cut up into tiny pieces and put on tray)

Chicken soup (homemade, noodles chicken carrots) put through food processer

I'm pretty sure my dd was eating tiny, cut-up pieces of pizza at that age (eta, carefully, watching for dairy reactions)

and yes, I'd try full-fat yogurt (carefully, watching for reactions)

Basically, I'd look at whatever you're eating, and see if you can make it chopped up enough for your baby.

Edited by wapiti

Cute kids!

When my son was below the 5th percentile I would feed him table foods like avocado and egg yolk. We had no allergies to deal with so he was drinking cow's milk in addition to nursing around that age. He also liked shredded cheese. I gave him some of those Vienna Sausages cut up too (not the healthiest choice).

I was also going to suggest avocado and eggs. My 10 month old is breastfed and eats a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as cheese, black beans, lentils, whole milk yogurt, eggs and occasionally whole grain pasta. While she certainly isn't underweight (she's in the 45th percentile for her weight but off the charts for her height - in a month she didn't gain any weight but grew 1/2"!) I do try to make sure I offer her plenty of foods with healthy fats along with her fruits and veggies.

Your son is a cutie!

Did the drop coincide with an increase in movement? It doesn't take much to drop from 15% to the 3%. Most other babies are really packing on the pounds and if his gain is small, then the other kids are just going to leapfrog ahead. And it is the weight percentile that moves around the most at that age.

I have small children. Both have been classified as underweight. My eldest prob still is. My older boy was not even 17 lbs at his first birthday. At 12 years old he is maybe 70lbs. My younger son is slightly heavier boned but also very thin. My eldest is still in the 5th percentile. He didn't hit the 5th until he was 4 or 5 years old. Before that he was below the 5th. My younger boy has always hung out in the 10th.

They both looked like your little one when they were babies. He doesn't look too skinny to me. :001_smile: Both didn't eat solid food until they were almost 2, even then it was a very slow transition. To this day both are extremely healthy children with little fat and low appetites. I feel like my 12 year old eats like a horse, only to find that he eats less than other 8 year olds.

What does your Dr say?

Mine used to tell me to NOT quit breastfeeding whatever else I did. My skinny babies needed those easily digested calories and that healthy fat like they needed nothing else. I was so glad I kept nursing. At the slightest cold or illness mine lose their appetites. But, they would always nurse for comfort. So, even if they weren't eating solid food I knew they were getting something so valuable and healthy.

If you can get anything in him, try avocados. My eldest adored them. My youngest gagged and puked them up. He still can't stand avocados.

Did your other kids follow the same pattern of growth? If there is a family history of your kids dropping in percentile from 6 months to 11 months or whatever the time period is, it might just be a genetic thing. I didn't have allergy issues with my oldest and youngest, and my middle just had issues with dairy (but not hives etc), so by 11 months they were eating whatever table food they wanted, basically exactly the same things we were eating. Plus they were nursing 3009409845093760435890 times a day.

Is your doc using charts for *breastfed* babies? If not, his percentiles are likely different on there.

FF babies start off slower on weight gain and pick up in the 2nd half of the first year, whereas BF babies typically do the opposite.

Have his iron levels been checked yet? That can affect appetite.

We used baby led weaning as our intro to solids (finger foods vs. purees).

Check where he is on the WHO charts if you haven't already.

http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

He looks great to me.

Saying this as gently as possible.........

Who cares if he is skinny? If he is meeting developmental milestones, is alert, is happy, is active, is he getting taller, is his head circumference growing, is so then ignore the number on the scale. It's a number. There is not a magical spot on the percentile chart that equates with healthy.

The age your ds is right now it typical for slimming down as activity increases. All of my babies went from over 50% for weight and dropped to below the 3% after the six month mark. They were and are healthy and growing just fine. There is nothing wrong with being skinny or being below a certain percentile on a chart.

There is no reason for you to keep weighing him and checking his weight gain. You're only driving yourself crazy.

Your breast milk changes and adjusts to meet the specific nutritional needs of your child. If you are nursing him on demand then he is getting the nutrition he needs including calories.

Solid food under one year of age is simply for exposure and exploration. Your breast milk still gives him the majority of his nutrition.

He will let you know when he wants solids. Offer him food when you eat. Offer him bananas, avocados, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. Let him have fun exploring food.

Again let go of the number. There is nothing wrong with being on the lower end of the curve.

At 1 yr of age my youngest ds weighed 16 lbs. He is 3.5 yrs now and weighs 26 lbs. He's healthy and happy.

Your baby looks healthy and happy.

He looks great to me.

Saying this as gently as possible.........

Who cares if he is skinny? If he is meeting developmental milestones, is alert, is happy, is active, is he getting taller, is his head circumference growing, is so then ignore the number on the scale. It's a number. There is not a magical spot on the percentile chart that equates with healthy.

The age your ds is right now it typical for slimming down as activity increases. All of my babies went from over 50% for weight and dropped to below the 3% after the six month mark. They were and are healthy and growing just fine. There is nothing wrong with being skinny or being below a certain percentile on a chart.

There is no reason for you to keep weighing him and checking his weight gain. You're only driving yourself crazy.

Your breast milk changes and adjusts to meet the specific nutritional needs of your child. If you are nursing him on demand then he is getting the nutrition he needs including calories.

Solid food under one year of age is simply for exposure and exploration. Your breast milk still gives him the majority of his nutrition.

He will let you know when he wants solids. Offer him food when you eat. Offer him bananas, avocados, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. Let him have fun exploring food.

Again let go of the number. There is nothing wrong with being on the lower end of the curve.

At 1 yr of age my youngest ds weighed 16 lbs. He is 3.5 yrs now and weighs 26 lbs. He's healthy and happy.

Your baby looks healthy and happy.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I had the same baby. My dd was just 16 pounds at a year. Now, at 6, she weighs 35 pounds. She's tiny. That's okay.

When she dropped off the chart, my doctor wanted to push hard for weight gain. ANY gain. So, we worked hard with healthy high-fat foods. In six weeks she put on a couple ounces and he told us not to worry any more.

we haven't.

Your son looks perfectly healthy!!!!!

Honestly, he looks fine, in fact, he's absolutely adorable! And this from a women who's 8 mos old is 23 lbs. :)

Remember that those charts represent the range of normal. If he's on the charts he's normal, not underweight. My boys tend to be on the opposite extreme but still on the charts and so neither I nor my doctor worry about it.

:iagree: My kids always drop in the growth chart percentiles. Because they meet their developmental milestones early or on time, their doctors have never been overly concerned.

With my kids, I allow them any table foods in small bites or mashed up at 11 months. Some of the recent research on allergies isn't showing a benefit it waiting to introduce allergenic foods.

I agree with others that have suggested eggs and avocados.

My oldest dd was really skinny at a year old and stayed that way along time. Personally, I think it's kinda funny that we worry about putting weight on babies so much and suddenly when they pass the age of 2 it becomes horrible if they are heavy.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. :)

Our family Dr. who we take him to has seen us through the last 4 babies, so he knows we have this issue. He just likes him to be regularly monitored, I am behind on taking him in, though. I don't do well child checks exactly on schedule since we don't vax.

I don't want to worry about his weight, it's just hard when they are on the skinny side and it seems that they're not getting enough, since he doesn't have many reserves, kwim? Thanks again. :)

ETA: And then there are of course the friends who go on and on (one in particular) about how chubby her baby is, like it is some medal of honor for her breastfeeding skills.

If it makes you feel better, my babies all start out on the larger side and drop off by the end of the first year. They grow a lot in the first six months, but slower from months 6-12, and most of them have been pretty much fully breastfed at 12 months. DH and I were both slender children, so we expect that we won't have huge kids. (Fwiw, my 7yo is very slender, and I worry about his lack of reserves, but he's very healthy and hardly ever sick.) Your little guy looks okay to me (your boys are both adorable!), and I think milestones are the most important things to consider anyway. But if you are concerned, I would try egg yolks, avocadoes, starchier veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes, olive and coconut oil, smoothies with coconut milk if you don't want to risk dairy, olives, chickpeas and other beans (maybe), ground beef. . .

The doc I was taking dd to just about had heart failure b/c she wasn't on the charts any of them and she was exclusively breast fed. I finally just decided to give her some sweet potatoes with olive oil, avacados and bananas at 4 months old. She did gain some weight and contined to breast feed. She did eat more solid foods in the first year and we were cautious about allergens b/c dh has problems with shellfish, wheat, and to some extent dairy. She quit breast feeding at about 14 months. She was very active then and still is today. She is about 25 months and weighs about 32 lbs (almost all muscle.) Hang in there and things will be all right.

She has been though the gammit of doctors and tests and they say everything is fine. She is just small. Just like her dad/uncle/grandmother. She is perfectly heatlthy: eats, sleeps, and ppops right on schedule :) Just doesn't gain as much each year as other kids do.

Is your hubby or you petite? My dh is 5'7" and weights about 140 lbs, so pretty small for a guy :)

Is your hubby or you petite? My dh is 5'7" and weights about 140 lbs, so pretty small for a guy :)

My dh and I were both very thin as children. My dh is now 6'3 and 250 pounds so he is by no means small. I am on the petite side.

I've breastfed three babies, two skinnies and one chunk. Just took my only boy in for his 1-year-check. He has only gained about a pound in the last 6 months. He is in the 75th percentile for height and around the 5-6th for weight. He is mostly breastfeed with a few veggies on the side (his choice). BUT his blood work was great, his iron was excellent, and his parents were sticks when they were kids (I don't even think I was on the growth chart). He is healthy and happpy, and the pediatrician was fine with it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I had the same baby. My dd was just 16 pounds at a year. Now, at 6, she weighs 35 pounds. She's tiny. That's okay.

When she dropped off the chart, my doctor wanted to push hard for weight gain. ANY gain. So, we worked hard with healthy high-fat foods. In six weeks she put on a couple ounces and he told us not to worry any more.

we haven't.

Your son looks perfectly healthy!!!!!

My daughter was like this. 5.5 at birth. (full term) 15 at 1 year and 17 at two. 30 lbs at age six; I remember because we had pizza that night and called it her 30 pound pizza party. :001_smile: this same daughter has always been healthy and is now 15 and 98 lbs, so she DID thrive and gain. She's just a small girl with a small frame.

Honestly, I never worried or 'did' anything. I was lucky that her first pediatrician was a tiny woman with tiny children and she never gave me grief. Another doc could have done a real number on my head or even sabotaged our very successful breastfeeding relationship.

Besides his weight, is there anything else about your baby worrying you? If not, carry on. Nurse him, and make every non -nursing calorie matter. I am a huge fan of avocados and full fat yogurt ( if the baby can handle it).

If he is meeting all of his milestones and is happy, healthy, active, and has a good head circumference, who cares if he's thin?

He has a very good head circumference, all of my babies have very large heads. Maybe that's where the weight is all going? :lol: They also tend to be long.

My boys have never met milestones "on time." Every, single one has walked at 17 months and not a day before. He just started scooting around and he's 11 months. But they have all been very alert, active, engaging, interactive.

I do worry at times about his diapers, he has a couple full wet diapers a day but those can be many hours apart. Usually it just seems that there's maybe only 1/4 cup of urine in them. He has also been constipated and not having large poops. I just don't think he's getting much, when I hear that other babies have copious poops and they're all chubby and everything. I know I make low-fat milk. :(

Thanks again for the reassurance, it's good to know I'm not the only one with skinny babies.

My son basically only eats fruits. He is ridiculous once he started teething. He bf and will eat fruit, pasta, quesadilla , sandwiches, yogurt. Love all the ladies suggestions too. As long Ashe is eating and progressing, I am sure he is fine.

He has a very good head circumference, all of my babies have very large heads. Maybe that's where the weight is all going? :lol: They also tend to be long.

My boys have never met milestones "on time." Every, single one has walked at 17 months and not a day before. He just started scooting around and he's 11 months. But they have all been very alert, active, engaging, interactive.

I do worry at times about his diapers, he has a couple full wet diapers a day but those can be many hours apart. Usually it just seems that there's maybe only 1/4 cup of urine in them. He has also been constipated and not having large poops. I just don't think he's getting much, when I hear that other babies have copious poops and they're all chubby and everything. I know I make low-fat milk. :(

Thanks again for the reassurance, it's good to know I'm not the only one with skinny babies.

My skinny kids always had large heads. We like to say the looked like lolly pops!

If he isn't having many wet diapers and is constipated then he isn't getting enough water/liquid. Constipation is all about the liquids. Does he take a sippy cup with water? OTOH, some kids just don't drink much. Mine were never the type to drag around a sippy cup at all times. They both wet infrequently but when they did it was a big pee. They were/are camel-like.

If you are concerned about your 'low fat' breast milk..you do know that doesn't exist right? I am sure you do, but I just want to check. If you want to make sure he is getting the very rich hind milk then he needs to be nursing for a long time on one breast. If he is a frequent switcher then he will only get the more watery foremilk.

My older son was a very frequent nurser and my midwife suggested a little trick. I had him nurse from one breast exclusively for 12 hours and then switch. That way I knew he was getting to hind milk faster. It did work. I can't say he gained weight, but he did seem to feel fuller and go for a little bit longer between feedings.

It's my understanding that "holding off on allergenic foods" is no longer believed to be helpful.

Beyond that, I think it depends on the baby, and nobody can diagnose your child over the internet. My older children grew like gangbusters just on mother's milk, but #4 stalled out after a few months. Everyone gave me the "someone has to be small" line, but he was a good size at birth and my older children were on the larger side, so I wasn't sure that it was healthy in his case. We ended up supplementing with formula, and he caught up to his previous growth curve and was MUCH happier.

My youngest one is also on the hungry side, though not as much as her brother. At around 4.75 months, she was getting some teeth and seemed interested in food, so we started offering little tastes. (Apparently this is now considered an acceptable age to start, not that it means that much, since "they" keep changing their minds on this every few years.) At 7.5 months, she eats one "real" meal a day -- about 4-6 oz of whatever we're eating, or a jar of baby food if the family meal is too salty, spicy or fibrous -- and two snacks of bread crusts, fruit, or steamed vegetables. That's all I'm offering for now, because her weight gain seems good and I don't want to cut back on nursing. But she would gladly eat a lot more. She had two helpings of shepherd's pie at lunch time today, and was yelling and grabbing desperately at her plate when I was taking her out of her high chair. :D

This Baby Led Weaning site has some advice and pictures that might be helpful. We haven't really followed their method, as we give both purees and table foods, but I do find it helpful as a reference point and sanity check. (It's a Dutch site, and definitely pro-nursing... there are giant pictures of bOOks everywhere. :lol:)

DD is 9 months old so about the same age. She's eating pretty much everything that we eat. Today she had shredded chicken, scrambled egg, tortilla, shredded cheese, mashed pinto beans, and avocado. Other things she's had - homemade smoothies, pretty much whatever veggies we have at dinner - squash, peas, green beans, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower - pork roast, bread, cut up raisins, pasta... She gets AT LEAST as much on her as in her but food at this point is about exploration more than nutrition. I'd give him bites of whatever you're eating and try to not worry about it.

Having said that, I've had the child who was underweight and a failure to thrive. DD1 went from 95% when she was born to <10% when she was almost a year. She gained weight just like you describe - mere ounces over the span of *months.* Our pedi told us that as long as she was growing (in height) and meeting all of her developmental milestones that she wasn't too worried. That DD is now 8 and thin is obviously just her body type.

I know how hard it is to not worry, but try not to. :grouphug:

Indy was 17 lbs at one year and at almost 10 (next week!) he's 90 lbs and 4'10" tall. He's actually got a bit of a pot belly now.

Han Solo is 15 months and has dropped from the 50% back to the 5% (he was below the 5% at birth), but it also coincides with his learning to walk. He eats just fine, but it's mostly fruits, veggies and lean meats because that's what we eat. He's meeting all his milestones and his a healthy and incredibly happy baby. I've been through it before, so I'm not worried. The ped keeps sending me to a nutritionist, but what are they going to do? I can't force feed him, he knows when he's full, and I'm not going to offer him junk just to make him gain weight. As long as your baby is healthy and meeting milestones, I wouldn't worry.

They're adorable, BTW.

It's completely normal and healthy for a breastfed baby to be slender with a large head. He probably just had a growth spurt, and in 3 weeks will chunk up a bit before having another growth spurt.

People are so used to very heavy babies (formula, gestational diabetes) I think a lot of the time they don't know what "normal" is anymore. He doesn't have the starving look about him at all.

As long as he's hitting his milestones, he's fine. Offer him an assortment of things - avocado, steamed veggies and potato, even liver (if you can stand the smell of it).

If you're super concerned, I suppose you could pump and feed him by bottle just to ensure he's getting the volume you think he needs, but I would think that might just create problems later by forcing him to take a greater volume of food than he wants.

First of all, he isn't too skinny in that picture! He looks healthy and happy! It is totally normal for a kid to drop in the percentiles at that age, when they start moving around and burning off the baby fat. My kids all did. And, you said your kids did it too, so it seems that it is normal for your kids! I'd keep offering food, eggs come to mind, and avocado, and such. Baby Led Weaning is a good book with lots of info on how to offer table foods. But honestly, at almost a year old I'd just give him bits of whatever you are eating. No need to over think it.

I just don't think he's getting much, when I hear that other babies have copious poops and they're all chubby and everything. I know I make low-fat milk. :(

It is normal at that age for a breastfed baby to only poop up to ever 7-10 days. So stop beating yourself up! Genetics count! If you were small as a kid, so will your babies be.

My son and my daughter have different fathers. My son was a STICK as a baby. Seriously, we said he had frog legs. His father is very thin and tall, as are ALL the men on that side of the family. My daughter on the other hand..oh my. Her rolls had rolls. Serioulsy...she looked like the Michelin tire cartoon. It was ridiculous in the extreme. Both got my milk. It didn't go from low fat to high test, lol. They just have different genes. (my daughter's father was a chubby baby, and she got it from him.)

However, both dropped on the charts as they started crawling and scooting and sitting. That is the normal way with breastfed babies. My daughter actually dropped from the 99th percentile at birth to the 25th by 9 months old. Her doctor didn't worry one bit, she was obviously healthy.

Stop beating yourself up over your milk, and enjoy your happy, healthy, normal weight child. He is NOT skinny. He is normal.

First of all, he isn't too skinny in that picture! He looks healthy and happy! It is totally normal for a kid to drop in the percentiles at that age, when they start moving around and burning off the baby fat. My kids all did. And, you said your kids did it too, so it seems that it is normal for your kids! I'd keep offering food, eggs come to mind, and avocado, and such. Baby Led Weaning is a good book with lots of info on how to offer table foods. But honestly, at almost a year old I'd just give him bits of whatever you are eating. No need to over think it.

:iagree: He looks healthy and happy (adorable too!). I would try not to worry about it. :grouphug:

Agreed, further those charts are based on formula fed babies which is comparing apples to oranges. He sounds normal for a bf baby and I can see the baby fat chubs where it counts. It's totally normal to see them stop gaining for a bit when they start being mobile. Fwiw I had skinny babies too and now they are growing well as skinni mini kids just like I was:) my oldest wasn't even on the growth chart half the time, don't worry!

It's completely normal and healthy for a breastfed baby to be slender with a large head.

I did not know that, thank you!! :001_smile::001_smile:

It is normal at that age for a breastfed baby to only poop up to ever 7-10 days. So stop beating yourself up!

Oh good, thank you!

Thank you all, I do feel a lot better and will start giving him more variety in foods. We have just had SO many food allergy issues and during my pregnancy with him, I found out I have a (probably lifelong) allergy to eggs and dairy so I have been SO nervous to give him that. And 2 of my boys are very allergic to wheat. :(

I had to share another picture of him, where he's making a happy face. :001_smile:

20120630-DSC_4105.jpg

and another...

20120509-DSC_2876.jpg

:001_wub:

Oh good, thank you!

Thank you all, I do feel a lot better and will start giving him more variety in foods. We have just had SO many food allergy issues and during my pregnancy with him, I found out I have a (probably lifelong) allergy to eggs and dairy so I have been SO nervous to give him that. And 2 of my boys are very allergic to wheat. :(

I had to share another picture of him, where he's making a happy face. :001_smile:

20120630-DSC_4105.jpg

and another...

20120509-DSC_2876.jpg

Who on earth told you he was skinny???? He's adorable! And not at all skinny!

Totally normal for largely-breastfed babies to have infrequent poops! As long as he's not in pain with them, and they're nice and soft, that's what matters.

Looking at his pic again, really, he does not look underweight to me. His face is nice and full, cheeks look nicely kissable, looks like he has a bit of a chub roll under his chin. He looks like he has a nice fat layer around his ankles, elbows, wrists. He looks very healthy to me, and actually, he looks very similar to my 12-month-old (down to the same shoes, LOL). You and your doctor know your baby the best, of course, and I'm not giving medical advice, but he looks normal to me, just starting to show the normal transition from baby to toddler body type. And goodness, he is cute!

Oh my gosh!!! He's absolutely adorable!! And not at all too thin!! He looks just perfect.

Oh good, thank you!

20120630-DSC_4105.jpg

and another...

20120509-DSC_2876.jpg

Thank you all :001_wub:

He has been having pain with poops (constipated) since I started giving him table food. :001_unsure: I have been trying to give him some juice and water out of a bottle, but he really won't drink much out of a bottle or sippy cup at ALL.

The P foods may help with the constipation -- peaches, pears, plums, prunes. That's what we used to give the little girl I took care of for a few years. Oh, and mandarin oranges helped her too.

:iagree::iagree: mandarin oranges! and the P fruits! mine loved the cut up kind that come in cups

:grouphug: You've gotten a lot of advice already, but I do sympathize with you. My middle dd has always been underweight - we were so excited a couple months ago when she actually made it onto the chart (at 9.5 years old, 52 lbs!) Obviously pay attention to his other development - that's more telling than weight alone.

Other things we've done is add cream and butter, eggs (very lightly cooked), minced liver (organic), cheese, etc. Even now, when she has oatmeal, we top it with lots of cream. Plenty of carbs and protein. She doesn't like butter much, but we sneak it into as much as we can. Overall she has a good diet with a lot of variety, but she was VERY picky as a baby/toddler.

We also try to give her a (semi)regular dose of cod liver oil - Carlson brand has a decent lemon flavored one that my kids think is OK.

He looks to be about the size of my Tango who is also 10 months old. I think it's normal for a breastfed baby to be skinny like that. As long as he's following his own growth curve, I wouldn't be that concerned. I might add coconut oil or olive oil to his food, mash up avocados, and give him a little bit more of a food selection but other than that, keep doin' what you're doin'.