Menu

It looks as though our hsing journey may be over

If one single person throws a tomato at you because you are making a decision that is for your family, then they should be ashamed of themselves! Put your family and what it needs first and don't worry about what others think of you! :grouphug:

Exactly what she said :grouphug:

:grouphug: It'll probably only be another two or three years and I'll be saying the same thing. I'm not looking forward to it. However, from September both my older two will be at school, and DS11 and I are already planning how and when we'll afterschool math and Latin; we're both quite excited. It need not be the end of your involvement in their education, and may well be the beginning of exciting new opportunities for yourself.

:grouphug:

My 7 yr old will start 2nd grade at PS this year. I need to work so we put her in at the end of 1st grade. She absolutely loved it and begged to be able to go back this year. She still does the main homeschool work that we did because honestly, our PS is not a very good one. Our older daughter will continue to homeschool.

For us, the PS experience with my younger daughter so far has been a positive one.

There was once a time when almost no one homeschooled, and kids did well and parents were involved and cared. That hasn't changed for you! Do what you need to do, know you gave a good foundation, and continue to be active and involved in the school as you can be. Who knows? You might find you like it better for your kids and you, or you may return to homeschooling at some point in the future. You just never know. I would have never predicted we'd be homeschooling 5 if you had asked me early on. Life has a way of surprising you.

Free yourself to feel great about your decision, and swat any tomatoes away!

Cindy

Amana, for the "I told you sos" just say quietly, "Yes, you did. However, you need to understand it was an incredible journey for us. We gave it a go. And I'm glad we did that." And give them a serene smile.

As for tomatoes thrown, catch 'em and eat 'em! They're in season!!!! :D

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: We decided to put my daughter in school this year too. It was a very hard decision so I feel your pain and I know about the whole "mixed emotions" thing. I just wrote a blog post about it to work through my feelings about it, and I think maybe it was too emotional because no one in my family even responded. It was crickets level silence when usually they all write something back about the posts. I think I might take it down... But in any case, I don't think people realize how hard it is to switch from one schooling method to another, and how heartwrenching it can be. :grouphug::grouphug:

Remember that you are doing what you need to do for your family, and that takes bravery. You are just as brave now as you were when you decided to homeschool. You are brave enough to give your kids what they need, no matter what that may be...

I don't plan to tell the in-laws, as I emotionally can't handle the "I told you so" that would be coming from my ps teaching sil. They'll probably figure it out at Thanksgiving or Christmas when we see them.

Shoot, I'd be ready with a remark to make her feel bad. I'd say something like 'Yes you sure did. You must be feeling super great that you were able to say 'I told you so' to me. Why don't you say it again so it sustains you through the day.' Or, I might applaud her and tell her 'Thank you for saying that. You just won me the bet.'

But I'm not always a pleasant person, and I hate people who think they know better than me. The truth is that you did homeschool and things were fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reevaluating the plan each year as life happens and plans change. So this year, school looks best. You're making the best choice for this moment in time.

I would just simply tell the ppl that say, "told you so'', that you home schooled the length of time that was right for your family. You haven't given up! You are just changing the game plan.

Don't let anyone make you feel like just b/c your children are going to ps that you've failed as a homeschooler! It sounds like your dds are thrilled with the idea, you are at peace with it...so, it's the right decision. You have successfully home schooled your children the right amount of time for you and your family!

You are a success story and don't dare let anyone tell you otherwise. :grouphug:

Good job momma!!!!

:grouphug: We are there too. For the first time, we are enrolling our kids in public school. Third grade and Kindergarten.

Not where we thought we'd be either but we always said we would evaluate every year what was best for everyone in the family.

This season of life is public school. I get your feelings of numbness. I am still wrestling through those feelings even with saying we'd take it year by year. I honestly thought we'd do it through graduation. But life happens and gets in the way of our plans sometimes.

We are still taking it year by year and who knows...maybe someday soon we'll be back to homeschooling but for now it is public schooling.

It will be alright.

P.S. My third grade daughter is ECSTATIC...and she will probably love being in school knowing her. My Kindergarten son is anxious. We had talked about putting just daughter in school but he would not do well home alone with out any kid interaction all day. So they are both going. His biggest problems are that we already did K at home last year (missed the cutoff by days)..and doesn't want to do it again and large groups of kids. But even with those circumstances we still think it will be best for him right now.

Edited by the4Rs

No tomatoes from me!

Just tell the annoying people in your life that your #1 concern is what's best for your kids. That you have no regrets, it was a wonderful experience, but now it's time for the next thing.

The truth is, idiots will always find something to argue with you about, so I wouldn't worry about it. Quickly change the topic and feel confident that you are doing what's best for your family. Pass the bean dip ;)!

:grouphug: I am sorry for your pain and happy for this new journey for your family. What a wonderful start to your children's educational experience you were able to give them at home. Your jouney with them only continues, just differently. It's not over. I'd be sad and depressed too. I hope you see the ray of sunshine more than your sadness.

I can say that I'm truely unable to know how you feel as I can't even imagine going through the emotions you are. But one day it might happen here. Nobody ever really knows what our life has planned.

As for tomatoes, I'd share mine from my garden with you....however they are still green! :p

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It's looking now that I might have to put my older two in PS as well this fall. I'm sick at the thought but sometimes life means doing the best we can with the cards we are dealt. I survived PS and my kids will, too, should it turn out to be necessary.

:grouphug:

And, truly, nobody "told you so." The fact is, you homeschooled for as long as it worked for your family, and when it no longer worked for whatever reason you changed course. Nobody could have predicted that one day it would no longer be what was best for your family.

Sigh. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I can completely commiserate with you. Never thought that I would be here, but we all have to deal with the hand that we have been dealt. I plan to get as involved as I possibly can at my children's school. :D And I'm hoping that some day my circumstances are different and I will be able to bring them home again.

HUGS to you!!!