Menu

Miffed--by take on Queen Elizabeth's eduction

Sally Bedell Smith in Queen Elizabeth explains, "Her formal education was spotty by today's standards. Women of her class and generation were typically schooled at home, with greater emphasis on the practical than the academic." Later on she further explains, "Elizabeth was not expected to excel, much less to be intellectual. She had no classmates against whom to measure her progress, nor batteries of challenging examinations."

What she did learn before the age of 10 (before it become a common assumption she would some day be monarch of England)

to read (by her mother)

history

geography

grammar

literature

poetry

composition

music

dancing

French

handwriting

what we would call nature study

silent reading time set aside each day (she loved to read historical fiction)

mother and grandmother read-aloud classics

encouraged to journal on a daily basis

Bible/religion

Memorization of poetry

---her governesses were not able to teach her math beyond the basics

Extra-curriculars

Equestrianism as well as breeding of horses

hunting

Girl Guides (similar to American Girls Scouts)

After she became 1st in line to the throne

she continued the above studies and added

a mentorship with Sir Henry Marten, vice provost of Eton College and co- author of The Groundwork of British History---This mentorship provided a six year study of the British constitution and political and social history as well as history of the British imperial commonwealth and United States.

In-depth study of French literature and history

Composition in both French and English

Public speaking

Field trips to places such as museums, galleries, the mint, the Bank of England, palaces, and the Tower of London.

Genealogy

Origins and particulars of the royal jewelry collection

Miss Bedell Smith also laments Queen Elizabeth's lack of a college education! I see this attitude a lot---without an "accredited" education one lacks a "real" education.

Off my high horse---for now!

I know that she was trained to be an ATS mechanic in her late teens during WWII and appeared to have been successful at that, I assume that would require reasonably decent maths and science knowledge even if she was never actually taught it directly.

It sounds as though she had a WONDERFUL education. I totally envy her. She probably was never a science and math person anyway.

Queen Elizabeth has earned the love and respect of her subjects for 60 years now. No one has a bad word to say about her. I think she probably had exactly the right education -- and character training -- to prepare her for her adult life.

I'd be curious about her education, both formal and informal, from her early 20s on up. As we all know, learning doesn't stop at age 20, and it doesn't have to be taught by someone else.

If someone looked at my educational background, they would miss the incredible amount of history I've been learning just within the last few years as a home educator. Without this, it would look like I never learned a thing beyond basic Canadian history.

It sounds as though she had a WONDERFUL education. I totally envy her. She probably was never a science and math person anyway.

Queen Elizabeth has earned the love and respect of her subjects for 60 years now. No one has a bad word to say about her. I think she probably had exactly the right education -- and character training -- to prepare her for her adult life.

Why would you assume that?

I am reading that book right now (well, not this exact moment....) and I thought the same thing. "Spotty" is a weird way to describe it. My public school education was certainly more spotty than hers.

They don't go into her education much more than that. But there is some about her holding her own against prime ministers...which to me means she must not be a total idiot.

I think at some point the book also touched upon the fact that she was better educated than Margaret, and Margaret was always upset about that. So make up your mind already...or is Margaret illiterate and still grunts and eats with her hands so in contrast Elizabeth's education looked stellar?

The attitude that a formal education is the only one worth anything is very frustrating and pervasive. As a side note, I never liked the Queen all that much and this book is making me like her a lot more and realize what a difficult position she is in.

I'm currently reading Andrew Marr's biography of Queen Elizabeth II, and I've found it to be very supportive of how she was educated. He does bring up other people's objections, particularly to the fact that she never attended a traditional school, but his summary of her education is quite inspiring to me as a homeschooling mother: "It is not true, then, to say the Queen was badly educated. She was just differently educated. She was, and is, very fast at absorbing information and always had remarkable powers of concentration. From early on, she became shrewd at sizing up people, and good at recalling names and faces. Although going to a proper school might have helped her understand non-royal life, the lack of a formal education did not cripple her intellectually."

"It is not true, then, to say the Queen was badly educated. She was just differently educated. She was, and is, very fast at absorbing information and always had remarkable powers of concentration. From early on, she became shrewd at sizing up people, and good at recalling names and faces. Although going to a proper school might have helped her understand non-royal life, the lack of a formal education did not cripple her intellectually."

That's an excellent quote. Biographers like to pretend they are neutral, but that is obviously not the case.

AimeeM, if her governesses were never able to teach her math beyond the basics, that's a clue that she was probably never a math and science person.

If she were really, really interested in math and science, I imagine her parents would have seen that her interests were indulged.

Sally Bedell Smith in Queen Elizabeth explains, "Her formal education was spotty by today's standards. Women of her class and generation were typically schooled at home, with greater emphasis on the practical than the academic." Later on she further explains, "Elizabeth was not expected to excel, much less to be intellectual. She had no classmates against whom to measure her progress, nor batteries of challenging examinations."

What she did learn before the age of 10 (before it become a common assumption she would some day be monarch of England)

to read (by her mother)

history

geography

grammar

literature

poetry

composition

music

dancing

French

handwriting

what we would call nature study

silent reading time set aside each day (she loved to read historical fiction)

mother and grandmother read-aloud classics

encouraged to journal on a daily basis

Bible/religion

Memorization of poetry

---her governesses were not able to teach her math beyond the basics

Extra-curriculars

Equestrianism as well as breeding of horses

hunting

Girl Guides (similar to American Girls Scouts)

After she became 1st in line to the throne

she continued the above studies and added

a mentorship with Sir Henry Marten, vice provost of Eton College and co- author of The Groundwork of British History---This mentorship provided a six year study of the British constitution and political and social history as well as history of the British imperial commonwealth and United States.

In-depth study of French literature and history

Composition in both French and English

Public speaking

Field trips to places such as museums, galleries, the mint, the Bank of England, palaces, and the Tower of London.

Genealogy

Origins and particulars of the royal jewelry collection

Miss Bedell Smith also laments Queen Elizabeth's lack of a college education! I see this attitude a lot---without an "accredited" education one lacks a "real" education.

Off my high horse---for now!

Her education was SPOTTY by today's standards??? :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: This looks more well-rounded than anything I've ever seen a PS kid have to do! Sheesh!

AimeeM, if her governesses were never able to teach her math beyond the basics, that's a clue that she was probably never a math and science person.

If she were really, really interested in math and science, I imagine her parents would have seen that her interests were indulged.

Actually, the book blames that part of her education on the teacher. Evidently the teacher didn't have any education past basic mathematics. And you know--I don't think her parents would have indulged her interest after she came into line for the throne. The family's world had suddenly changed, and preparing her for the monarchy became important---above any interest of their own.

Also, I think the Queen is extremely knowledge in natural sciences including biology. She is considered one of the best horse breeders in the world and is very hands-on in that aspect. She is also hands-on with the managing of her large landholdings.

She was a mechanic during WWII which would be training in physics---so there you have some math and science training.

Her education does sound very Charlotte Mason.

The book does talk about her many experiences past school age that have helped form her and her policies. She leads a life where learning continues and continues and continues. I think traveling and meeting new people is an awesome way of expanding one's world.

Edited by missmoe

It seems like there's this attitude that large, government funded schools with age segregated classrooms invented education. That these schools popped up in their current form instead of evolving over time. Everyone knows that's isn't the case, but you would think it from people's general fear of stepping outside of that educational model. People seem to think that education can't happen outside of the classroom or at least that it's terribly risky. ;)

Her education was SPOTTY by today's standards??? :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: This looks more well-rounded than anything I've ever seen a PS kid have to do! Sheesh!

:iagree:

many of us would have loved to have had that *spotty* education! and everything HRH has attempted in the world stage, she has excelled and come off as nothing less than highly articulate and knowledgeable about world events - and she has done so in more than one language. *spotty* indeed!

I wonder what the college admin people would think about an elective like "Origins and particulars of the royal jewelry collection." Do you think it would make her stand out as someone worthy of their institution? If not, their loss, I'd say. She'd have looked good on the alumni lists. :lol:

Rosie

Oh dear, another subject to add. I've decided we need to study Origins and Particulars of the Royal Jewelry Collection in oh, say 7th grade--complete with field trips and hands-on research. ;)

Hmmm, how to fit this into our 8th-grade year (too late for the 7th-grade year)???! ;) And should I list it as a core class--perhaps history or just keep it as a good extra to list on the transcript.

I'm currently reading Andrew Marr's biography of Queen Elizabeth II, and I've found it to be very supportive of how she was educated. He does bring up other people's objections, particularly to the fact that she never attended a traditional school, but his summary of her education is quite inspiring to me as a homeschooling mother: "It is not true, then, to say the Queen was badly educated. She was just differently educated. She was, and is, very fast at absorbing information and always had remarkable powers of concentration. From early on, she became shrewd at sizing up people, and good at recalling names and faces. Although going to a proper school might have helped her understand non-royal life, the lack of a formal education did not cripple her intellectually."

This is a lot better attitude towards her education, but still that word--proper--rubs me the wrong way here!

Oh dear, another subject to add. I've decided we need to study Origins and Particulars of the Royal Jewelry Collection in oh, say 7th grade--complete with field trips and hands-on research. ;)

Hmmm, how to fit this into our 8th-grade year (too late for the 7th-grade year)???! ;) And should I list it as a core class--perhaps history or just keep it as a good extra to list on the transcript.

Here is a tutorial for you: From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault

And another one: Jewel Central

Don't want to be behind the rest of the world, do you? ;)

What they considered the "basics" of math in 1940 likely included more than what we would include today. I know my grandfather's "basic math," which ended with the rest of his schooling at 8th grade, included algebra and trig.

I love Order of Splendor...best blog name ever! I found it around the Diamond Jubilee, and read through the whole thing while I was up for middle-of-the-night feedings with the baby. And I was so excited to see she started the Jewel Vault. It sounds silly, but there's a lot of history to be learned through those jewels...fascinating.

Missmoe, I just took proper to mean "standard" or "expected" the way he used it. Based on the context of the chapter the quote was in, I don't think he meant it in a negative way.

Hmm, I know quite a few people who have a bad word to say about her, most recently concerning her having the Order of Precedence updated so that the common-born Kate remembers her place.

WoW! Now I have a whole new way to waste some time this summer---drooling over royal jewels! I've learned a ton already this morning---turns out I don't even have a clue who half the royals are in this world!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsMommy

This is a lot better attitude towards her education, but still that word--proper--rubs me the wrong way here!

I think that really is a British English (vs. American English) use and doesn't imply that anything else is improper. DH is English and we often joke that we speak entirely different languages. LOL After almost 13 years of marriage, I recognize most of the context differences, but it sure led to some interesting (and heated) "discussions" until I did. :lol:

Wow, this is going to be a tough course! Between the gemology AND history and meanings of the pieces, this could be a junior year core class!!

After looking at the second link, I've decided I need a tiara. Maybe a small one, but nonetheless. Sigh.

I think the standard for comparison for most readers would either be the strict classical, Latin heavy sort of boys' schools OR the modern especially for those in the US, American ) school education. In comparison to either of those, hers is certainly different, but I am not sure what makes hers inferior. She seems to have been able to perform adequately at her job for quite some years now.

Wow, this is going to be a tough course! Between the gemology AND history and meanings of the pieces, this could be a junior year core class!!

After looking at the second link, I've decided I need a tiara. Maybe a small one, but nonetheless. Sigh.

I want one too. I totally covet the one Zara wore for her wedding with the Greek key design.

I want one too. I totally covet the one Zara wore for her wedding with the Greek key design.

Personally, I need one that can be converted into a necklace. And after further reading I now know I should wear it with bigger hair than normal!:D

Hmm, I know quite a few people who have a bad word to say about her, most recently concerning her having the Order of Precedence updated so that the common-born Kate remembers her place.

I wonder why anyone outside the royal family cares how they order themselves. Blood relatives take precedence in most families. I think people, instead of being grumpy over typical royal protocol, should be glad they don't have to use that level of manners when they are at home! :p I don't think the changes are because Kate is common-born but because she isn't royal-born. Anyway, if they take all their royal traditions away and behave like the rest of us all the time, who'd benefit?

Rosie

I wonder why anyone outside the royal family cares how they order themselves. Blood relatives take precedence in most families. I think people, instead of being grumpy over typical royal protocol, should be glad they don't have to use that level of manners when they are at home! :p I don't think the changes are because Kate is common-born but because she isn't royal-born. Anyway, if they take all their royal traditions away and behave like the rest of us all the time, who'd benefit?

Rosie

I agree. I believe a new Order of Precedence is formed whenever some one new enters the family. I think the author of the linked article had an agenda.