Menu

Has anyone else gained weight on a paleo/whole foods diet?

or is it just ME! :glare::glare::glare:

I need to lose weight. I really, really need to lose weight.

I was told calories don't matter.....

I was told fat isn't what makes you fat......

Hogwash, hogwash, and more hogwash.

I have GAINED weight eating whole foods. I eat plenty of vegetables and some fruit too, but those nuts need to GO and cannot eat this way any longer.

And please don't tell me, "Oh, I ate as many nuts as I wanted and still lost loads of weight." I am libel to come through the computer and hurt you! :smash::cursing:

That is ALL~!

Oh, yuck! I would not do that and have never done that.

I've heard this happens. I don't know what to think about the whole thing. Personally, thinking of eating a steak at 6 am is repulsive to me.

:grouphug: Let me know if you figure this out.

I have GAINED weight eating whole foods. I eat plenty of vegetables and some fruit too, but those nuts need to GO and cannot eat this way any longer.

And please don't tell me, "Oh, I ate as many nuts as I wanted and still lost loads of weight." I am libel to come through the computer and hurt you! :smash::cursing:

That is ALL~!

Ok, a few thoughts:

1. Eating fat in and of itself does not make you fat. Eating lots of sugar/carbohydrates/fat together WILL make you gani weight b/c the carbs and sugar stimulate your appetite so you eat more, and fat is very nutrient/calorie-dense.

2. If you are only eating whole foods then counting calories shouldn't matter b/c your appetite should tell you when you are full or not. BUT (caveat here) - if your appetite triggers are dysfunctional or you have dysfunctional eating habits (eating out of boredome, in front of screens, don't sense when you're full/hungry, etc...) then you may eat too much and gain weight.

3. IF you have insulin-resistance issues going on that can compound weight-gain and weight-loss issues as your body has to re-regulate in that area as well.

So...let me ask you this: What does your typical day of eating look like? Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snack. What are you drinking? How long have you been eating this way?

That is ALL~!

Two thoughts. First...nuts are actually high in carbs...you shouldn't be eating that many. A few sprinkled on a salad or something, not handfuls and handfuls.

Second, are you getting fatter, or just heavier? I remember reading somewhere that your bones actually get denser, etc, when eating more nutrient rich food.

I am just having trouble overall. Too many veggies cause horrible gas, bloating, and bathroom issues (TMI, but there you have it.)

I really don't enjoy meat. I can eat some, but chicken breasts make me gag. I have to force myself to eat it. I can't stand eggs.

Fruit is fine, but if I don't have the protein I get shaky after a while.

I have been eating nuts, homemade soups from the Primal Blueprint cookbook, coconut oil, protein shakes (although not many and certainly not daily). Lots of chicken, salads, that sort of thing.

I truly don't LIKE eating this way. I don't like the food all that much, I feel deprived. I don't like meat much. I don't mind vegetables but they do cause issues.

Overall, I am not happy.

I am going back to a diet that I actually did ok on. It is mostly whole foods, but does allow for some sugar free treats and some dairy. It also counts calories! I lost on it years ago and didn't feel *too* deprived. More of the diabetic exchange type diet....no white stuff though.

Edited by DawnM

I am just having trouble overall. Too many veggies cause horrible gas, bloating, and bathroom issues (TMI, but there you have it.)

I really don't enjoy meat. I can eat some, but chicken breasts make me gag. I have to force myself to eat it. I can't stand eggs.

Fruit is fine, but if I don't have the protein I get shaky after a while.

I have been eating nuts, homemade soups from the Primal Blueprint cookbook, coconut oil, protein shakes (although not many and certainly not daily).

I truly don't LIKE eating this way. I don't like the food all that much, I feel deprived. I don't like meat much. I don't mind vegetables but they do cause issues.

Overall, I am not happy.

I am going back to a diet that I actually did ok on. It is mostly whole foods, but does allow for some sugar free treats and some dairy. It also counts calories! I lost on it years ago and didn't feel *too* deprived. More of the diabetic exchange type diet....no white stuff though.

That doesn't sound like something sustainable for you - you should be able to enjoy and LIKE the foods that you eat so that you can stick to this long-term (and I say that as someone who eats paleo/primal 99% of the time and has been for months). I would still say to stay away from grains b/c of their bad effects, but definitely try changing things up.

Thanks. I am just kind of "done" you know?

Yes, I fully agree with cutting out grains, flours and such. I do eat about 1/2 cup of brown rice sometimes and I do eat about 1 cup of cooked steel cut oats sometimes, but no bread and no white stuff.

I am also VERY frustrated at myself because I just got weighed at the doctors. That always puts me in a BAD mood!

That doesn't sound like something sustainable for you - you should be able to enjoy and LIKE the foods that you eat so that you can stick to this long-term (and I say that as someone who eats paleo/primal 99% of the time and has been for months). I would still say to stay away from grains b/c of their bad effects, but definitely try changing things up.

Dawn, you might like what I have been doing. It's called the Alternate Day diet or Dr Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet (JUDDD). You count calories and have high cal days and then ultra low cal days. You can chose your own food plan, so I do low carb. I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks and feel really good. Check it out!

I have been Paleo for almost a year now. I haven't heard of anyone who has gained weight on the diet.

I have heard of people having issues with eating too many nuts and their system not agreeing with coconut oil, some of the veggies, and eggs.

Have you gotten yourself food allergy tested recently? I have always had food allergies so I thought I was doing good with my annual tests. Then I took a really indepth test recommended by my naturopath and boy were there a lot of food allergies and sensitivities that I didn't know about that never showed up on my doctors allergy tests. Once I eliminated these offended foods, the weight just dropped off. My "unknown" food allergies and sensitivities were wheat, oats, gluten, dairy, eggs, certain types of shellfish and soy. My known allergies were certain kinds of beans, anything in the orange family of fruits, peanuts, all tree nuts, chocolate, and apricots. Anyhow, it's definitely worth checking into.

As far as the feeling restricted on the diet...I hear ya on that. It definitely is hard sometimes when you are too tired to cook, or everyone around you is eating something yummy that you can't have. Like another poster said...change it up a bit. I have 4 Paleo cookbooks that I rotate through and I pull free recipes off the internet. Other days I just make up my own recipe with whatever I have in the kitchen. My fave cookbook is "Everyday Paleo". I also follow Nom Nom Paleo on Facebook, as well at PaleoOMG, and a few other FB-ers.

For me this diet is a full lifestyle change necessitated by my autoimmune disorders...Fibromyalgia and Food Allergies. When I cheat on my diet, I am in pain from head to toe within 20 minutes and the pain can last for days at a time. I had been on a strict Gluten free and Casein free diet for several years and my pain got worse. The Paleo Diet is the only thing that has worked for me BUT I have had to tailor it a lot. I cannot tolerate any dairy (even the clarified butter that is ok for Paleo), nuts of any kind will put me in the ER with anaphylactic reactions, and eggs give me severe diarrhea.

So what do I eat?

Here is what my daily food log looks like:

Morning:

SP Complete Dairy Free greens and protein shake with whatever fruit I have on hand.

Snack: Sliced fruit with 1lb. of nitrate free turkey or chicken sandwich meat wrapped around. A few handful of salted sunflowers with cherry flavored dried cranberries.

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner or a quick stirfry

Snack: Nitrate free bacon and fruit

Dinner: Any Paleo Main Dish Recipe with lot of veggies added into it. I love to make soups, stirfry's, crock pot meals, etc. because I can stuff a lot of extra veggies into it.

Snack: Dinner left overs or sunflower butter and fruit.

For the gassiness: Have you tried steaming or sauteeing your veggies? That should help reduce the gas effect. Or adding them into a soup instead of eating them fresh?

Sounds interesting. I will look it up.

Dawn, you might like what I have been doing. It's called the Alternate Day diet or Dr Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet (JUDDD). You count calories and have high cal days and then ultra low cal days. You can chose your own food plan, so I do low carb. I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks and feel really good. Check it out!

I've come to the conclusion that no one diet will work for everyone. I know people who do great on the paleo diet. I know others that won't lose weight unless they eat a completely fat-free diet, but they can eat as much sugar and grains as they want. I know others that drop weight like crazy after just cutting out the 4 "white foods" (white sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes). No other changes, and they're down 40 lbs. Others do great on a traditional high-grain diet. Some people do better as vegetarians, other do better as carnivores.

In other words, diet is a very personal thing. We don't put everyone on cholesterol-lowering medicine, and even the people on cholesterol-lowering medicines are often on different ones that act in different ways. Why? Because body chemistry is complicated, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Why do we think food is any different?

Eat a reasonably healthy diet that you enjoy. If you feel healthy and are happy with the results, it's a good diet for you. JMHO. :)

What kind of test did the naturopath do?

Have you gotten yourself food allergy tested recently? I have always had food allergies so I thought I was doing good with my annual tests. Then I took a really indepth test recommended by my naturopath and boy were there a lot of food allergies and sensitivities that I didn't know about that never showed up on my doctors allergy tests. Once I eliminated these offended foods, the weight just dropped off. My "unknown" food allergies and sensitivities were wheat, oats, gluten, dairy, eggs, certain types of shellfish and soy. My known allergies were certain kinds of beans, anything in the orange family of fruits, peanuts, all tree nuts, chocolate, and apricots. Anyhow, it's definitely worth checking into.

Well, the *thinking* is that if you eat the right foods, your body will naturally tell you when it is full and you won't need to worry about counting calories.

That doesn't seem to be true for me.

Calories don't matter? If I overfill my car's gas tank it is going to overflow. And if I overfill my 'gas tank' I am going to need a bigger pair of pants. It's got to go somewhere.

ME!!!!!!:glare:

We went gluten-free/vegan........and I gained weight.

I went raw.........and I gained weight.

I did Paleo/Whole Foods.......and I gained weight.

I am doing MediFast - just started week 3. I am down 11 pounds. I have tried Medifast before -- if I follow it the way it says to, I know I will lose weight. I have a wonky thyroid, but just had it tested and things are okay. So, mediFast and no cheating works for me.

Well, the *thinking* is that if you eat the right foods, your body will naturally tell you when it is full and you won't need to worry about counting calories.

That doesn't seem to be true for me.

I get that. For most of us, we feel comfortable not eating when our stomachs feel full. There is a physical sensation, not of 'lack of hunger', but of physical fullness that lets us know we have eaten enough. Our stomach has sensors that give us feedback on how much is in there.

If you eat 500 calories of nuts, or oil or butter or cheese it isn't going to fill your stomach very much. Those items are very dense nutritionally, but not dense with fiber and water. They just don't take up much space. If you eat 500 calories of broccoli and black beans with a sprinkling of nuts or cheese you will feel full. And when you are trying to lose weight, with all those challenges, you might just need to feel FULL. That is a valid need. Why make things harder on yourself?

FWIW, it has taken me 5 years of maintaining a 50+ lbs weight loss to even begin to differentiate between the physical 'nothing in my stomach' sensation from a 'not needing calories' level of not hungry.

I'm one that does better by counting calories. But I am an emotional eater. And as soon as I can't have something, I want it. And think about it. And end up eating 12 of them. So, counting calories (while limiting processed junk, sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc.) works for me.

The big problem that I see is that you don't like meat or eggs and can't eat a ton of veggies. With that combination, I'm not sure how you would maintain a primal diet long-term? I think you need to find what works for you and that will be different than what worked for anybody else that you know.

One of my fitness magazines had a recent article about Primal vs. Vegan. Their conclusion was that it depends on the person. :001_smile:

Last November/December I went Paleo and in January I took the whole family gluten free - and I have gained, gained, gained! I do like meat and most veggies, I also like nuts and fruit and I'm guessing I have to cut those almost completely out to lose. I was eating low carb before this and over about 18 months had lost 40+lbs combined with regular varying amounts of exercise...since the paleo/gluten free diet I have regained almost all my lost weight.

Yes I have insulin resistance issues and I have have a bad gall bladder so there is stuff going on. Earlier this year I saw a dr about my thyroid, he says it is fine...I'm at a loss.

It appears I have to do super low carb for anything to happen but even then (last summer/fall) I got to a certain point and the weight wouldn't budge even though I was still in the overweight category - a size 10-12, not all muscle or anything like that. LOL

I'm frustrated too - I figure this weight issue is my life issue, it could be worse, drug/alcohol addiction vs. food addiction/weight. I'm just going to get back to low carb and more exercise once we get done with this stressful move.

Good luck with finding a food/exercise plan that works with your body. I will be checking to see which direction you go!

Good for you.

This is why I am just going back to what I know works.

I loved being raw. I felt fantastic. More energy and felt overall well.....but I didn't lose weight. I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either.

Dawn

ME!!!!!!:glare:

We went gluten-free/vegan........and I gained weight.

I went raw.........and I gained weight.

I did Paleo/Whole Foods.......and I gained weight.

I am doing MediFast - just started week 3. I am down 11 pounds. I have tried Medifast before -- if I follow it the way it says to, I know I will lose weight. I have a wonky thyroid, but just had it tested and things are okay. So, mediFast and no cheating works for me.

It is very common for people to go overboard with nuts and it to cause weight issues, it is too easy to eat too much. I don't eat a ton of raw veggies either, I prefer then roasted myself. Raw works for some but not all.

However, if you don't like most of the food then it doesn't sound like a good diet for you. IMO People have thrived on a variety of diets, listen to your body, eat whole and real foods, eat moderate amounts, stay active in your mind and body, reduce stress, sleep enough.

I get that. For most of us, we feel comfortable not eating when our stomachs feel full. There is a physical sensation, not of 'lack of hunger', but of physical fullness that lets us know we have eaten enough. Our stomach has sensors that give us feedback on how much is in there.

If you eat 500 calories of nuts, or oil or butter or cheese it isn't going to fill your stomach very much. Those items are very dense nutritionally, but not dense with fiber and water. They just don't take up much space. If you eat 500 calories of broccoli and black beans with a sprinkling of nuts or cheese you will feel full. And when you are trying to lose weight, with all those challenges, you might just need to feel FULL. That is a valid need. Why make things harder on yourself?

FWIW, it has taken me 5 years of maintaining a 50+ lbs weight loss to even begin to differentiate between the physical 'nothing in my stomach' sensation from a 'not needing calories' level of not hungry.

See, I'm the opposite. I can eat a huge bowl of veggies, and if there isn't fat and protien I'm not satisfied and want more food, despite feeling bloated and full. If I eat a smaller amount of something heavy I feel full and stay full.

We have moved to more fruit/veggies and all whole-grains and cut out the daily desserts. Instead of cookies or sweets for breakfast, I'm trying to eat a bowl of life cereal and almond milk. Instead of pie for dessert I've pretty much switched to fresh fruit...

and I've gained about 5-7 lbs in the past 2 months....:001_huh:

This is the first time in YEARS and YEARS that Ive gained weight not pg.....????

That said, I'm probably technically a better weight now (I'm 5'8" and went from 113 to 118) And I'm okay with that... as long as I don't gain another 5-7 in the next 2 months! If I do, I'm going back to my old breakfast of donuts and pie! :-)

See, I'm the opposite. I can eat a huge bowl of veggies, and if there isn't fat and protien I'm not satisfied and want more food, despite feeling bloated and full. If I eat a smaller amount of something heavy I feel full and stay full.

If there is 1/2 or a full cup of beans and a sprinking of nuts or cheese then there is plenty of protein and fat in there. Or, have 500 calories of broccoli and chicken.

Did you not hear that I may come through and HURT people.....seriously, I am 9 inches SHORTER than you and I weigh a good deal more than you do.

We have moved to more fruit/veggies and all whole-grains and cut out the daily desserts. Instead of cookies or sweets for breakfast, I'm trying to eat a bowl of life cereal and almond milk. Instead of pie for dessert I've pretty much switched to fresh fruit...

This is the first time in YEARS and YEARS that Ive gained weight not pg.....????

That said, I'm probably technically a better weight now (I'm 5'8" and went from 113 to 118) And I'm okay with that... as long as I don't gain another 5-7 in the next 2 months! If I do, I'm going back to my old breakfast of donuts and pie! :-)

That is not exactly a weight problem. You are skinny.

OP I know what you mean. I have to really cycle with food. And make sure I exercise. HOwever, exercise alone does NOTHING for me. I HATE losing weight. Hate it. Nothing sucks more. But once I'm there, it's easy. I was once over 200 lbs, and now I am very fit, but I have this 5 pounds I cycle over winter. It is getting harder each year to take it back off because I just don't want to be freakin hungry:glare:. What really does it for me is having some lower carb days, and then some higher carb days. I cannot eat too many nuts or beans. I'm not sure how people can eat spoon fulls of coconut oil and lose weight. I have a very small sweet spot for losing weight. And I have to keep my exercise up. I lift weights thrice weekly, and try to move a lot with the kids. I do Vitamix diets during the day and then eat a normal dinner, and that really helps me shed a few. Of course I cannot do this all the time, but a couple days at a time helps.

This is me. My body HATES carbs when I'm losing. I went gluten free to see if I could handle potatos and rice but no grain and I gained 15 lbs in less than two months. I went back to low carb and it's off again. I can eat fruit when I'm maintaining but not normally.

Last November/December I went Paleo and in January I took the whole family gluten free - and I have gained, gained, gained! I do like meat and most veggies, I also like nuts and fruit and I'm guessing I have to cut those almost completely out to lose. I was eating low carb before this and over about 18 months had lost 40+lbs combined with regular varying amounts of exercise...since the paleo/gluten free diet I have regained almost all my lost weight.

Yes I have insulin resistance issues and I have have a bad gall bladder so there is stuff going on. Earlier this year I saw a dr about my thyroid, he says it is fine...I'm at a loss.

It appears I have to do super low carb for anything to happen but even then (last summer/fall) I got to a certain point and the weight wouldn't budge even though I was still in the overweight category - a size 10-12, not all muscle or anything like that. LOL

I'm frustrated too - I figure this weight issue is my life issue, it could be worse, drug/alcohol addiction vs. food addiction/weight. I'm just going to get back to low carb and more exercise once we get done with this stressful move.

Good luck with finding a food/exercise plan that works with your body. I will be checking to see which direction you go!

That sort of weight gain while eating tons of salted nuts is probably just water and bloating from the veggies. A few tablespoons of salt can easily make you retain 8-10 pounds.

Go on the diet that made you feel best, but if you want paleo, try this:

Avoid onions and peppers and coconut oil (these cause digestion problems for many).

Don't eat more than one serving of fat per day if you're trying to lose weight. This includes nuts. Don't have the added salt, just eat the raw unsalted kind.

Eat at least one serving of carbs a day if you want to have enough energy to function, even while losing weight. Add more when you're at a weight you're happy with. You can do that with a bowl of baby carrots, or a baked potato or sweet potato. When I do this diet, I like to bake potatoes the day before, cool them in the fridge, then slice into rounds and use in lieu of fried potatoes in a spanish omelet the next day.

As long as you're eating whole raw fruits, you can't overdo them.

I didn't gain, but I did level off after the first 10 pounds lost. I stayed at the same weight for about a month, then I stopped eating nuts. The weight started coming off a pound or 2 a week again. I think the nuts are just too addictive and calorie heavy.

Calories don't matter? If I overfill my car's gas tank it is going to overflow. And if I overfill my 'gas tank' I am going to need a bigger pair of pants. It's got to go somewhere.

:iagree: Whole foods are better for you, more nutrient dense, and all that. But if you have more calories going in than you are taking out (normal daily activities, exercise, etc) you are still going to gain. It can even be easier to gain on nutrient dense food that has high calorie content if you are used to eating until your stomach feels full.

The high amount of nuts and the lack of dairy are both probably hurting you.

Personally, I've been doing the South Beach Diet to lose weight. It's mostly whole foods (really, other than salad dressing). However, I do like eggs and I do like meat. For the first 2 weeks of the diet, it's no fruit and no bread, potatoes, white stuff until you retrain your body. Then after those 2 weeks you add fruit and whole grains in moderation. It's a big change, but I feel alright and I lose weight quite well.

But, if you don't like eggs and you don't like chicken, you would have to get most of your protein from fish and beef. Is it really chicken you don't like, or just really dry chicken? Sometimes people who don't like chicken have just never had it cooked decently. I make mine on the skillet in chicken broth, with herbs, so it's never dry and tasteless.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I am looking

At doing. I have the south beach book.

I can eat some eggs made certain ways, but I can be picky.

Chicken is fine if cooked right, but it often isn't.

Dawn

The high amount of nuts and the lack of dairy are both probably hurting you.

Personally, I've been doing the South Beach Diet to lose weight. It's mostly whole foods (really, other than salad dressing). However, I do like eggs and I do like meat. For the first 2 weeks of the diet, it's no fruit and no bread, potatoes, white stuff until you retrain your body. Then after those 2 weeks you add fruit and whole grains in moderation. It's a big change, but I feel alright and I lose weight quite well.

But, if you don't like eggs and you don't like chicken, you would have to get most of your protein from fish and beef. Is it really chicken you don't like, or just really dry chicken? Sometimes people who don't like chicken have just never had it cooked decently. I make mine on the skillet in chicken broth, with herbs, so it's never dry and tasteless.

My son -- who is a tall guy, 6'3", but between slim and average build -- does great on the paleo diet. He has been on it for almost a year, and it has almost eliminated his allergies, stomach cramps, and fatigue.

He talked two of his sisters into trying it for a month, one for her migraines (why not -- she had tried almost everything else!) and the other to lose 10 pounds. They both put ON weight, one almost 20 pounds! It was crazy. They were both very strict about it, only ate the allotted 6 - 10 almonds/day, exercised regularly, no carbs or sugars. The one who put on 20 pounds also got a case of severe acne while on it. It was very strange; it was just the opposite of what was supposed to happen.

Since then they have both gone back to their more normal -- but still healthy (everything in moderation, lots of fruits and veggies, nothing processed) -- diet, and they are feeling much better. And, they are losing weight by just being a little more careful.

Maybe if they had been on it more than a month their bodies would have adapted, but it sure seems like their genetic make-up just wasn't right for the paleo diet.