Menu

Pros/Cons of Amazon Prime?

I patronize Amazon on a regular basis. I usually have no problem coming up with enough to do the $25 free shipping. Many of you seem to utilize the Amazon Prime membership. At $70 (is that correct?) it seems a little pricey to me but I could very obviously be missing out on the benefits. Anyone care to enlighten me? Or, otoh, tell me why AP is not worth it to you.

We love amazon prime! We got rid of cable and got a Roku box, amazon prime has lots of great shows and options, so we use it for tv -- much cheaper than cable!! :)

We also use the 2 day shipping quite frequently.

And I also enjoy borrowing kindle books from time to time!

Slight highjack ... eek... is there any way that you all would share more about what your experience has been getting rid of cable and using a roku box and prime instead? I have prime that my mom bought me. What do you do about internet? Trying to cut down my monthly bills. You can PM me if it would be easier.

Thanks!

Slight highjack ... eek... is there any way that you all would share more about what your experience has been getting rid of cable and using a roku box and prime instead? I have prime that my mom bought me. What do you do about internet? Trying to cut down my monthly bills. You can PM me if it would be easier.

Thanks!

We don't have a Roku, but use a computer hooked up to the TV for Prime and it's also equipped with Windows Media Player that acts like a DVR. Not everyone has an extra computer to use for the TV, but if you do, that's an option.

I love Prime. It was worth it to me when the only benefit was free two-day shipping. The instant streaming is a total bonus. We're almost to the point of canceling Netflix.

Seriously? My mom prime is almost over, and I love fast shipping. I think I must buy a couple of times per week. I would like to get rid of Netflix and just get amazon streaming, but the content hasn't really impressed me, not that Netflix has either, but the latter seems to have a lot for kids, just not for me.

Oh with prime, we get to borrow books.

I could usually come up with $25 easily too -but sometimes it took awhile.

now, I no longer have to worry. As soon as i see the item I need, i order it and it's on its way in two days. (because of where I live, some things come in one-day).

I haven' really done the streaming, but my kids have used mine for it. oh, and four other family members can use the prime shipping too.

Seriously? My mom prime is almost over, and I love fast shipping. I think I must buy a couple of times per week. I would like to get rid of Netflix and just get amazon streaming, but the content hasn't really impressed me, not that Netflix has either, but the latter seems to have a lot for kids, just not for me.

Oh with prime, we get to borrow books.

Well, most of the Tv we do watch is kid stuff, so amazon pretty much covers it. My husband likes to watch series, but he's watched the ones he wanted to on Netflix. Amazon is expanding their catalog constantly and I think they'll surpass Netflix soon.

Plus, I like being able to "rent" a movie on Amazon, even if I do have to pay.

The con with prime for me is that I am addicted to Amazon and we get Amazon shipments a couple of times a week. With our Bordera gone, I need a quick way to get books for presents, school, fun, etc. I love Prime!

Yes, this is the only con I'm aware of. The tendency to use it too often!

:lol:

I had a long trial of Amazon mom with Prime, because the intro of that program happened when I needed cloth dipes and so forth for my third baby. I also ordered things that were non baby purchases, yet qualified for extending my free Amazon Mom months. It was great. I swore I wouldn't pay for prime, but I did :) I don't regret it. We don't have cable or Netflix. I love not having to drag the kids out for little purchases I can cover with amazon. When DS2 was in diapers, I would just ship dipes right to my parents' house before we left to visit them. My parents don't have internet access, so I order things for my mom and have them shipped directly to her. It is nice when I need to send a gift to a friend or family member's child.

When they added some Discovery shows, that made it even better for us. My kids like Mythbusters. All 3 will still watch Thomas. My kids don't watch a lot of TV at all, but it is nice when DH travels ;) I have found plenty of things to watch that DH and I enjoy. I know the selection isn't the same as Netflix, but we just pay for the occasional show that we can't catch on Hulu or Amazon for free. We just pay for it via Amazon, but that's something we only do on occasion (we just paid for Mad Men).

The con with prime for me is that I am addicted to Amazon and we get Amazon shipments a couple of times a week. With our Bordera gone, I need a quick way to get books for presents, school, fun, etc. I love Prime!

Yeah, this is a con for me too. My one-month free Prime trial just ended. I bought WAY too much stuff during that month, and I imagine that trend would continue. The two-day delivery no minimum order is SO enticing -- instant gratification!

One big pro for my kids is that Prime has Mythbusters episodes that aren't on Netflix streaming. Sadly, we didn't discover this until my free month was almost up.

Plus, I like being able to "rent" a movie on Amazon, even if I do have to pay.

This may have already been pointed out, but you don't have to have Amazon Prime to rent a movie on Amazon. We have a Roku and stream through Netflix and Hulu Plus. We also have the option to pay to rent (or even purchase) movies or TV shows through Amazon.

For instance, since we don't have cable, we weren't able to watch Mad Men this season as it aired. So we bought the episodes from Amazon each week on Monday, which was the day after the original episode aired on tv.

Just another perspective!

Me, too. Plus I have a credit card that pays me back. I have a sticky on my laptop that tells me no amazon ordering unless it is essential. I make myself wait 24 hours now. :D

Me, too. Plus I have a credit card that pays me back. I have a sticky on my laptop that tells me no amazon ordering unless it is essential. I make myself wait 24 hours now. :D

I need that sticky on my phone. The Amazon app on my iPhone is crazy easy to use.

I can't even tell you how many years we have been Prime members. I've shared my account with my DD too. I've used it to send gifts to family far away, and since shipping is free I often have the item gift wrapped.

I do have a question about streaming.... I have a Roku, but does Amazon not have a que like Netflix? I rarely stream anything because it's such a pain to surf the Roku looking for stuff. Any hints, tips or idea?

I do have a question about streaming.... I have a Roku, but does Amazon not have a que like Netflix? I rarely stream anything because it's such a pain to surf the Roku looking for stuff. Any hints, tips or idea?

I made a wishlist of all the stuff I wanted to watch ... that works as my queue. But I don't know if the Roku has access to your wishlists?

I made a wishlist of all the stuff I wanted to watch ... that works as my queue. But I don't know if the Roku has access to your wishlists?

So you can tell what is Prime (free) from the Amazon website? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet. (I'm usually too busy buying crafts, office supplies or books. *lol*)

Well hey now....I just figured it out!

If you hover over "Shop by Department" a menu will drop down. The first item on the list is "Unlimited Instant Videos." When you hover over that, a side menu will pop out, and the first item on that is "Prime Instant Videos." Click on that, and it takes you to all the freebies.

BUT!!! They now have a "add to watchlist" feature on the video's page that you can manage from your computer AND is now available on their Roku Amazon channel! I just tried it out and it worked perfectly. Huzzah! :hurray:

For an average of $6.58 a month I can have anything I buy shipped to me and delivered in 2 days (sometimes even less). You just can't beat that deal. Yes, you pay it annually in one chunk ($79), but I LOVE having my Prime membership. As a hs mom and a teacher, I could easily justify Prime membership for books alone. But we get more than that out of it. We buy household items, office supplies and oh so much more. I haven't used the movies much, but I hear the choices are getting better all the time.

I can't think of any cons to tell you. Nothing but rave reviews from this house.

Blessings,

Lucinda

This! It's so easy just to use the one-click option.

I LOVE Amazon Prime. I just checked and we've placed 29 orders in the past six months. Yikes that's a lot.

I've placed 31 in the past 30 DAYS! TO be fair though, a lot of the stuff I bought to have shipped to James Bond in Afghanistan. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I can't use streaming because we're in Europe (BOO!), but I love the free shipping and the fact that I can borrow books for my Kindle. I think you should be allowed more than 1 a month though. 2-3 would be better.

Guest carmelohannity

As soon as i see the item I need, i order it and it's on its way in two days. (because of where I live, some things come in one-day).

I haven' really done the streaming, but my kids have used mine for it. oh, and four other family members can use the prime shipping too.

Math Programs

Edited by carmelohannity

I've placed 31 in the past 30 DAYS! TO be fair though, a lot of the stuff I bought to have shipped to James Bond in Afghanistan. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

31 orders in 30 days? I think I've found my new role model.g

I still have my trial period (which I extended to a year, ending in Oct) and so I don't think I get any other perks other than the free shipping (which I love). I am an inpulse buyer, so I do have to watch that...but I haven't had too much problem with that..except around Christmas time...then i buy WAY too many things.

I can't use streaming because we're in Europe (BOO!), but I love the free shipping and the fact that I can borrow books for my Kindle. I think you should be allowed more than 1 a month though. 2-3 would be better.

:lol:Well, you have to support your man in uniform, yes? I didn't know about borrowing books either. I may be getting a Kindle for my upcoming b-day. This is very interesting information;)

I couldn't live without prime. I probably save the annual fee in gas alone! I buy EVERYTHING I possibly can on amazon... diapers, wipes, tea, paper towels, kleenex, toilet paper, toilet cleaner, rice, orzo, wheat germ, walnuts, almonds, etc etc etc!

I love just being able to get it in 2 days - no matter if it is a $400 item (new stoller) or a $4 thing of glue!

I also buy lots of books (and can often get used books with free prime for under $5 - can't beat that!)

For a while, my husband worked for a competitor - and I didn't even care then - I still ordered all the time.

I make roughly 4-5 orders a week!

I think I order less because of Prime. I used to add books on to an order and buy books than I wasn't going to read right away but thought I might order. Now I put those on my wish list and anything I want to read NOW I can just order right away without having to add up to $25.

And because of it's quickness, when I go to the local barnes and noble I can often hold myself off and use Amazon Prime and get a lower price (even with a Barnes and Noble member card). And even better, sometimes when I come home and read reviews at Amazon, I decide I don't really want that book anyway.

Two reasons:

1. I always prefer UPS over USPS, plain and simple. I pay extra to avoid USPS whenever possible.

2. I like that I can buy even a $2 item and have it shipped free. I never liked having to wait until my cart hit the $25 mark.

Oh, cons? Hmm... I really can't think of a one!

So you can tell what is Prime (free) from the Amazon website? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet. (I'm usually too busy buying crafts, office supplies or books. *lol*)

Yes you can differentiate the prime items. They will have a little gold check mark with blue PRIME as an icon beside the price. I usually check the box that says "Prime Eligible" which on the left hand side underneath where the department list is located.

I have a hard time shopping...for EVERYTHING! LOL!

I think I pay $80 annually. But, I don't give a second thought ordering something when I need it, and I don't try to come up with enough to get free shipping. I rarely shop locally except for the grocery store or for clothing. It's frustrating to schedule shopping time only to find many of the things I want not available/out of stock. With Amazon, I also get reviews which help me so much.

The other day, my son said he'd love another pair of Crocs. It was so easy going on, choosing the same size and color (you find previous order so easily and reorder). I didn't want to drive around trying to find some store that had those shoes. I've been driving around enough this week for summer camp, ortho appointment, library, etc.

I am quite certain I would end up spending $6.67 a month in shipping or in gas somewhere else if I didn't have Amazon prime. :auto:

I plan to look into movies more. So far, I've only watched a few episodes I paid $1.99 to see.

Oh, I also love the subscribe and save. This is how I get cat litter, Aussie 3-minute Miracle, and a few other things. I used to get my mom Pamela's Gluten-free products that way as well.

Finally, we ended up getting an Amazon C/C. We use it for all our purchases. We have about $200 accumulated, and so far, we haven't paid any interest on the card. We use it like our bank card. I am saving it to use for a splurge or Christmas or something like that.

Edited by nestof3

It is a great luxury to have. I love the 2 day shipping, and it has come in handy many times. I admit that I have used it way more than I thought I would. We will definitely renew as long as financial disaster doesn't strike. I do also borrow books for my kindle, and now dd has a kindle too. So, yeah, we like that feature.

31 orders in 30 days? I think I've found my new role model.g

Well exalt me then because I placed 3 more orders after I posted this yesterday and 6 more today. One-Click is eeeeevvvviiiiiilllll

:lol:Well, you have to support your man in uniform, yes?

Exactly! 3 of the orders placed yesterday and today were for James Bond though. Don't ask about the other 6. I'm sure I need whatever I ordered.

Here's a bad thing. I order so much (one-click!!!!), I sometimes don't realize it when something doesn't arrive (rare, but it does happen), so I've started checking my orders every 2-3 weeks to make sure I'm getting my stuff.

On the other hand, since I don't always remember what I ordered, when something comes, I open the box and think Hey, I needed that! It's like getting a surprise! :D

The most random think I've ordered in the last 30 days was onion goggles. I first saw them on Castle (I ♥ Nathan Fillion) and forgot about them until watching our DVD's of the first 3 seasons (all bought on Amazon!). I looked them up, ordered a pair and they are freaking genius! I am super sensitive when cutting onions and they keep my eyes from tearing up. GENIUS. Most of the stuff I order is far less random (except the stuff I order for James Bond). Usually books or DVD's or baby stuff.

Oh, oh! Amazon gripe! Several of the baby items do not let you pick your colors (it always reads "Colors May Vary") and almost every single time I get pink stuff. I have griped and griped about this to no avail. It's a waste of time and money because they pay for me to send it back and then ship me a new order, plus I have to go to the PO twice and wait for the new shipment. I've been lucky that the new shipments have actually been boy colors. When I asked about it, I was told that they don't offer a choice in colors on some items because they come from different warehouses. Um, doesn't everything come from a warehouse? If they don't want to offer specific colors, they could at least offer an option for boy or girl colors and I'm fairly certain the people who pack are competent enough to figure out what that means. I'm going to have to have a meeting with Jeff Boaz if this continues.

Thanks!

I got rid of cable and have a Roku in my living room. I have a Roku plugin called Playon that gives me way more content than the normal Roku plugins. Playon will play content to the Roku, Nook Tablet,(anything that has web access) and even my phone.

I also have xbmc installed on my bedroom computer which is connected to a flat panel tv. Both are nice. I do however, get more content on xbmc through plugins that can be downloaded from the net. XBMC plays commercial free.(yipee)

I will never get cable ever again!

Penny

Everyone else has pretty much already said it all already but I will chime in anyway.

I love, love, love my prime. Yes, it can be dangerous with that 1 click button there taunting me but I have learned to control myself. For the most part.

The free 2 day shipping is marvelous. It is so hard for me to pay shipping when I shop at other sites now. I am so used to free shipping! And not waiting a week or more for my items to arrive. :) (Oh! and here is a little trick I've learned. If I order something early in the day on Thursday it will come next day 99% of the time. I guess next day is cheaper than Saturday delivery.)

Kinda funny story, last year I ordered a ton of curriculum and books and games etc from Amazon. I was getting shipments almost every day for awhile. Then a long stretch of weeks passed when I did not order anything. I was in the yard when a delivery did come again and the delivery guy said to me, "Hey, I was wondering what happened. I haven't been here in awhile."

As far as the streaming goes, I did not even know about that when we first signed up for prime and did not figure it out until almost the end of our first year's subscription. We are a low screen time family but have used it a few times. A nice added bonus but it is all about the free 2 day shipping for me. :)

My sister and I shared an amazon prime account. Well, we both paid half. She lives in another state so when she needs something, I will buy for her and then ship it to her house. We are bargain hunters so amazon prime has been definitely saved us a lot of money in the long run.

Julia