Menu

Wine recommendations?

My dh and I are going to try at least one new wine a month. It can be any kind of wine, but we both are not the biggest fans of dry wines. I usually don't drink wine, but my dh has a very good palate for it and I want to try to educate my palate a bit more on the subject.

Is there something that you truly enjoy that you would recommend? And, if you pair it with a certain dish, what would that dish be?

I'm a big fan of reds. I drink a glass daily. My favorites right now are red blends (mixtures of 3 different reds). I love Wild Bunch. It's a mix of Syrah, Zin, and Cab out of California. I also love Menage a Tois, another blend of, you guessed it, 3 reds.

Others may be able to chime in with whites and blushes. I can't stand them. ;)

The one nice thing about living in NY has been the ability to sample some fantastic local wines. My favorite winery so far is the Thousand Islands Vineyard. If you like sweet reds, try their North Country Red- that one's my favorite. Dh prefers their Niagara, which is just as sweet, but white. I'm assuming that they are available in Canada. If not, I apologize for the unhelpful suggestion! :)

My favorite reds are Cabernets from the Paso Robles region of California. J. Lohr, Liberty School, Paso Creek....all are good examples. They're very, very good wines (and not expensive).

My favorite whites (and really the only whites I drink) are the sauvignon blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand. Nobilo, Kim Crawford, Matua Valley are some examples. I love them because they are quite crisp and fruity (citrus, primarily grapefruit, forward) and neither dry nor sugary sweet. They're very drinkable and very refreshing.

Happy drinking!

ETA: Oh, and if you want to try something different (but still delicious), look for a wine called New Age. It's a white and apparently they drink it in Europe quite a bit, but over ice and often with a lime. It has the tiniest bit of bubbles in it. Sounds strange, I know, but it's delicious! And not too dry or too sweet.

My husband introduced me to Riesling, and that is the wine we most often buy now.

I really like a Merlot, but he doesn't. I think he thinks it's too dry, but he hasn't really given a reason.

My friend likes Arbor Mists, so when we have a girls night or when we went to the beach together, that is what we drink ;) Of those, the blackberry is definitely the best....they are all watery, though. Once I drank a *real* wine, I didn't enjoy the slushie flavored ones anymore.

Oh, and another friend's ex brought her back an Apple wine from Gatlinburg. That was good. Darn, it sounds like I'm surrounded by lushes. I'm really not. I think I have wine once every other month IF that.

I'm a big fan of reds. I drink a glass daily. My favorites right now are red blends (mixtures of 3 different reds). I love Wild Bunch. It's a mix of Syrah, Zin, and Cab out of California. I also love Menage a Tois, another blend of, you guessed it, 3 reds.

I am a total wine un-sophisticate ( is that a word? :))

I pick wine for interesting names/labels and a medium price.

Of, course, I had to try Ménage A ...... Anyway, it's one of my favorites. And I've had more than one clerk say its one of their favorites, for that level of money.

A recent one that I like is Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. It comes in a box, which says it will stay fresh for a month after opening. Since I'm the only one who drinks wine, that's a nice feature.

I also love Menage a Tois, another blend of, you guessed it, 3 reds.

I really like this one as well. My husband likes a different blend better called Hot to Trot by 14 Hands.

We both like the Syrah made by Chateau Ste. Michelle and G3 (another blend) by Goose Ridge...not to be confused with H3 by Columbia Crest which we think is horrible :tongue_smilie: .

Edited by luvnlattes

I'll recommend 5 fantastic summer wines:

Albariño from Spain. A dry golden white that is loaded with peachy type fruit flavors so it is not austere and not "sweet" but so loaded with fruit that people who don't like dry wine will like it. Perfect for a summer day.

Spanish or French Rosé. These wines are so under appreciated. Too many people have a misimpression of Rosé wines thanks to monstrosities like Almendine or yucky "White Zinfandel." But a French Bandol or inexpensive Spanish Rosé is a fresh, light, and refreshing summer wine. Beautiful with light summer fare.

Italian Lambrusco. Another refreshing wine that has been ruined in the public mind by outfits like Ruinite, but a decent Italian Lambrusco is a light, lightly-carbonated, low alcohol red wine that pairs nicely with summer food. It is the opposite of the huge tannic high-alcohol red wines so in vogue today.

Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (Marlborough region). This French varietal picks up all sorts of tropical (passion fruit) like flavors when grown in New Zealand. The fruit contrasts really nicely with the mineraly dryness of one expects from the grape.

Tablik (the producer) Marsanne from Australia. If you can get it, this is another fruit filled white that is both dry and loaded with flavor. Somewhat like Albariño. Has almost honeysuckle like flavors.

And Pinot Noirs are also a nice treat in summer. Pinots can get $, but the others above are relative bargains if they can be had locally.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My favorite reds are Merlot, Syrah/Shiraz (same varietal but goes by different names depending on the region), and Malbec.

For Merlot and Syrah, I usually stick to wines from California, Oregon, Washington, and Australia. Not sure whether it's available in Canada, but one of my favorites right now is the 14 Hands Merlot.

For Malbec, I like wines from Argentina. Have not come across one I didn't like yet.

If you like dessert wines (sweet wines), try Moscato or any of these white wines from Germany: Liebfraumilch, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Spatlese, or Auslese. All very good.

Cheers! :)

Edited by Dandelion
Typo

Albariño from Spain. A dry golden white that is loaded with peachy type fruit flavors so it is not austere and not "sweet" but so loaded with fruit that people who don't like dry wine will like it. Perfect for a summer day.

Spanish or French Rosé. These wines are so under appreciated. To many people have a misimpression of Rosé wines thanks to monstrosities like Almendine or yucky "White Zinfandel." But a French Bandol or inexpensive Spanish Rosé is a fresh, light, and refreshing summer wine. Beautiful with light summer fare.

Italian Lambrusco. Another refreshing wine that has been ruined in the public mind by outfits like Ruinite, but a decent Italian Lambrusco is a light, lightly-carbonated, low alcohol red wine that pairs nicely with summer food. It is the opposite of the huge tannic high-alcohol red wines so in vogue today.

Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (Marlborough region). This French varietal picks up all sorts of tropical (passion fruit) like flavors when grown in New Zealand. The fruit contrasts really nicely with the mineraly dryness of one expects from the grape.

Tablik (the producer) Marsanne from Australia. If you can get it, this is another fruit filled white that is both dry and loaded with flavor. Somewhat like Albariño. Has almost honeysuckle like flavors.

And Pinot Noirs are also a nice treat in summer. Pinots can get $, but the others above are relative bargains if they can be had locally.

Bill

Agreed on all accounts. Esp. the Marlborough sauvingnon blancs.

Now, for a pairing that is non-standard, try out burgers with an American Chardonnay. It's the only way I'll drink one anymore. ;)

Menage a Trois is one of our favorite lower cost reds!

When we were first learning about wines, my husband and I joined California Wine Club and eventually their international wine club. This was a great way to try a couple of wines each month. They used to send two wines of the same kind that could be compared (an example two Chardonnays, but differing in enough to learn about what you liked or didn't) I don't know if they still do it that way or not.

And I don't know if they ship to Canada ...

Do you have a local winery? I'd work my way through their selection. Alternatively, find a good local wine store and cultivate a relationship there.

For girls' night, I like Moscato because it's sweet and goes down too easy.

For dinner I like a wimpy merlot or Australian Shiraz.

For sipping by the fire pit, I like Fuki plum saki. Sweet but not too sweet.

ABC for me....Anything But Chardonnay....yuck.

Seriously though, my all time favourite is Santa Margherita, a pinot grigio (white). Here is the link: http://www.santamargherita.com/en/pinot_grigio_valdadige

It is a little on the pricey side at approx. $17 in my city but so worth it.

Another pinot grigio that I love, especially in the summer is Emeri Sparkling Pinot Grigio. You have to like bubbly though. And it is approx. $15.

http://shop.debortoli.com.au/emeri-sparkling-pinot-grigio.html

ETA: I also joke that ABC stands for Anything But Canadian when it comes to wines. I know that there are lots of good ones out there but I have yet to find one that I like.

Happy wine tasting!

I love red blends too. My latest favorite, though in general I don't care for sweet wine is called Chocolate Rouge. It is like drinking chocolate covered raspberries!

ooooo! You said chocolate. :w00t:

Spanish or French Rosé. These wines are so under appreciated. Too many people have a misimpression of Rosé wines thanks to monstrosities like Almendine or yucky "White Zinfandel." But a French Bandol or inexpensive Spanish Rosé is a fresh, light, and refreshing summer wine. Beautiful with light summer fare.

Bill

Thanks, Bill -- especially for the bolded. I'm not much of a drinker in general, and I tend to get smashed easily on half a glass of some wines, so I appreciate the note on the lesser alcohol wine.

I can't drink reds or even a rose, since it kicks off migraines from h*ll.

Any ice wine is nummy.

Oh yes, they are. Quail's Gate's Optima has pretty much ruined me for anything else. I've been joking that if I win this week's 50 million, I'm buying a truckload of the stuff. :lol: