Menu

Please Post your 4th-6th Grade DAILY Schedule Here

Medieval Mom

Please post your 4th-6th graders' DAILY schedule here. :)

--} Also, does having a timed schedule help or hinder your family?

I'm planning 4th grade right now (and having a hard time fitting into a timed schedule.) Half of me thinks this is an indicator of TOO MUCH PLANNED. The other half sneakily wants delete the time from our schedule to "fit it all in". :leaving:

Help!

I just injured my index finger! :cursing: Typing is painful, but I'll post our tentative schedule soon.

ETA: Better now. See schedules below :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Here is how 4th grade ended up looking for us, more or less. Of course, I felt completely free to adjust times, rearrange, or throw things out altogether as needed! But this was the framework that worked well this past year.

9-10 Math

10-10:15 break

10:15-10:45 Latin

10:45-11:15 Grammar/Vocab

11:15-12:15 Literature - read aloud/discussion

12:15-1 Lunch

1:1-30 Writing

1:30-3 Science (2x per week) or History (2x week)

Afternoons were for free reading, playing outdoors, running errands, etc. and an extracurricular theater class or participating in a main stage theatrical production.

Having a flexible plan in terms of time schedule helped - but feeling compelled to stick to this rigidly would only have hindered. It helped by creating a plan to make sure we got to everything important. But there was no way I'd stop something we were on a roll with just because time was up! I'd make adjustments within the day or within the week.

Edited by rroberts707
forgot writing!!

I dont ever used a "timed" schedule because the times for subjects always varies daily for us. We just work til we get our lesson done or stop if we are frustrated. Some days we breeze through and some days we lag. Having actual timeslots sets us up for disaster. We just do a routine.

My 5th grader will be doing this in the fall: (about 4 hrs a day)

up at 7- do awana verses, memory work, eat, family devotion

school starts at 8 (because my youngest will be going to private prek so that we can get work done)

MM/MEP 30-45 mins (we do math year round-she needs short time periods)

H.O./SOTW (M-W) BFSU (T-Th) 45-60 min

BREAK 15 mins

LA (R&S, SP, CHOLL, Killgallon) 60-120 mins (R&S M-T-W)

LUNCH BREAK

Elementary Greek 20-30 mins (T-W-TH)

*We cover writing in HO and R&S and do written narrations/notebooking on Fridays. The only extra writing will be Killgallon to develop sentences.

Fridays are catch up and CM style day: (3 hours)

Math drill/review 20-30 mins

Artist study/composer study 15-20 mins

Art 20-30 mins

BREAK 15 mins

Read/notebook the Story of Science and American History Stories 60 mins

nature journal 20-30 mins

geography map drills 10 mins

LUNCH BREAK

Fridays are HS group days/park/library/etc

I will have to post it later, I have got something to do. But yes, I had a timed schedule for my 4th and 2nd grader this year. It works better for the 4th grader, as she is obviously better grounded in her skills and therefore can be more independent. So I schedule when I work with her on the things we do together, and then I work with the 2nd grader in between those times. I scheduled everything for the whole day to show what a perfect day would look like just to see if I actually could get it all in. We rarely have a perfect day in life, but having a schedule for a framework is mandatory here. My 4th grader thrives on it. I am currently working on our 5th grade one for next year.

We both have and use a schedule because that is what works for us. I like having a start and stop time (I cannot stand schooling past about 3:30) plus I can see how our day fits with the many ages/subjects I have to juggle. This last year our day looked like this (M-Th):

8:00 Bible

8:15 YOYO (You're On Your Own) work (Handwriting, Pathways, Grammar)

9:00 Spelling w/Mom; possible Grammar if needed

9:30 Break (Mom checks YOYO work)

9:45 Horizons page (for review)

10:00 History

11:00 Literature

11:30 Lunch

12:15 Science

1:15 Math

2:00 Break

2:15 Writing

3:00 Finish assignments/correct YOYO work/free time

Friday mornings we use for math games, tests if applicable and finishing any seat work not done M-Th; afternoons are for art, music, etc.

Thank you so much for the replies!

Here are 2 schedules I'm toying with:

Schedule #1

7 Music & Memory Work

8 Bible

9 Latin & Spelling

10 English/Comp.

11 Arithmetic (oddly enough, this time works best for us)

12 Lunch

12:30 Penmanship/Drawing (ds's request)

1 Silent Reading-Literature

2 Weekly Subject

Later, Typing and Piano

or

Schedule #2

7 Music & Memory Work

8 Latin

9 Geo (M,T); History (WThF)

10 Penmanship/Drawing (alternating)

10:30 Break/Exercise

11 Arithmetic

12 Lunch / Break

1 Eng & Spelling (MTW); Science (ThF)

2:30 Break

3:00 Declamation/ Reading/ Singing

Later, Typing and Piano

Ok ours for 4th were:

9:00 to 10:00 4th grader independently:

spelling workbook

memorywork/copywork/penmanship (she just asked me each morning which she was to do.)

writing assignment (assignments from yesterday's work like history or science narrations or english comp. assignments)

10:00-10:30 work with me on math: speed drill, corrections from yesterday's work, times tables, today's lesson

10:30-11:00 do math assignment

11:00-11:30 silent assigned reading

11:30-12:00 latin 3x a week, music 1x a week

12:00 lunch

12:30 listen to read aloud/put away dishes from dishwasher

12:45 outside

1:15 English

2:00 piano practice

2:15 silent free reading/rest time

3:00- 4:00 or 4:30 afternoon subject: mon: art, Tues/Thurs: History/geography, Wed: science

then outside. Sometime in the evening homework time to finish math

4th grade

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are our main schooling days so I'll just list the schedule for those days.

8-8:30 - Literature read aloud

8:30-8 - Latin

9-10 - Math instruction, independent math, fact practice

10-10:30 - Latin

10:30-11 - do preschool activities with 3yo

11-12 - Composition, applied grammar

12-1 - Lunch

1-1:30 - Rotation of art instruction, art appreciation/music appreciation, SOTW reading

After 1:30 she might work on an ongoing science or history project if she chooses but I don't schedule anything academic except for at bedtime.

Before bed she reads independently from classical literature for 30 minutes, then listens to a literature audio for 30 minutes.

She does 1 hour of science reading on Monday from 1-2, and an hour of additional history reading or activity on Friday from 12-1.

Staying on a schedule ensures everyone works efficiently and that I get uninterrupted one on one time with each dc.

My schedule with ds usually looks like this (except the past few months when we put the main focus on Language Arts and Math to get ready for a standardized test):

We usually start around 10am.

• 1-2 pages of spelling workbook
  • Readaloud with oral narration
  • 1 page of grammar workbook
  • Readaloud with oral or written narration
  • 2 pages of math
  • Read a poem from scheduled poet (and or the poet's bio)
  • Several lines of copywork
  • Readaloud with narration
  • Ds does independent reading for 15 minutes
  • Artist, Composer, or Nature study. Maybe also Spanish.

We should be done before 1pm

Readalouds are History, Science, Literature, Shakespeare, Plutarch, and whatever else. Each of the lessons are from 10-30 minutes each. Ds is mildly dyslexic, so I read most things to him. Some subjects are not scheduled into the mornings. Health is via regular discussions (and ds is always asking tons of questions). Art is something ds does every day but we may give Drawing with Children another shot. Music - ds is in part of a youth show choir and PE just happens regularly without having to schedule anything.

This is 4 days a week (Mon-Thu) and Friday will usually be a field trip.

This is my tentative plan for my twin 4th graders next year (uh, we have a toddler):

8:30 all meet together - breakfast & morning chores are done, we pray together, review memory work, read character book

9:00 - 9:45 I do 1st grade with 6yoDS, 1 girl plays with toddler brother while other does independent work (alternating days)

9:45 - 10:00 break

10:00 - 10:30 science & history together (w/1st grader and toddler present)

10:30 - 12:00 1st grade DS plays with toddler, while I do 4th grade

A. Latin

B. Math

C. Review & assign individual work: spelling, grammar, reading, writing, music (one taking violin, one taking piano), karate practice

12:00 Lunch & audio book & some coloring

1:00 - 3:00 Quiet Time! Toddler naps, older 3 finish daily work and then have the rest of the time "free" (I have a dawdler, and this is the best solution I have come up with to pace her without making her sister die of impatience)

The trick to making it all work is my staying on top of their individual assignment sheets, so their independent work is planned and assigned and ready-to-go (we experimented with this this year a bit).

Fridays during the school year we have co-op & karate lessons.

This was our schedule this spring (2nd & 4th grader):

8:30-9:00 Bible, alternating elective (Health, Art, Music each 1x per week)

9:00-10:00 Math and Logic

10:00-11:00 Language Arts (Grammar, Phonics/Writing, Penmanship, Spelling)

11:00-12:00 Geography (daily) and Science/History (alternating days)

12:00-1:00 Lunch

1:00-2:00 Spanish and Latin

It helped us for two reasons. First, my children knew that they had a time limit and everything not completed by that time was homework to be done after school (during their free time). Second, I had to keep myself in check and ensure I was not giving too much work each day. They really did not need to spend more than an hour on any of the subjects.

This fall the schedule will be similar, but closer to the ones in the MP curriculum guides.

This year's tentative plan for my 6th grader:

8am: Math and Piano

9am: Breakfast and chores

10am: Family walk

11am: Read-aloud time

12:30 Lunch

1:00 Free time

1:30: Grammar, Writing, Content Subject, and Spanish, whatever order

Hopefully done by 4:00

Our 5th Grade Schedule

8:30 Bible (M-Th), P.E./Health/Safety (F)

9:00 Math

10:00 Language Arts (M-F) includes spelling, grammar, and writing

11:30 Assigned Reading (M-F)

12:00 Lunch/Recess

1:00 Latin (M, W, F), Spanish (T, Th)

1:30 Logic (M, W), Art (T), Music (Th), Tools & Technology (F)

2:00 History (M, W, F), Science (T, Th)

3:30 Daily Physical Activity (go outside and run around, I need a break!) :lol:

4th grade looked pretty much exactly like this except that we didn't do logic or tools and technology. We don't adhere strictly to the times, so if we finish early in one subject, we just go on to the next thing. Many days we finished by 2:00. I mostly use the times to keep us from dragging one subject out for too long. My son has been known to make a single line of copywork take an hour. I now say, "If you're not finished by 11:30, you're doing it for homework." :D

Edited by happymomofboys
typo

Do all those with the timed schedules actually follow them closely? How do you know that each lesson will take that long? I find that my children do some lessons quickly and some more slowly, and that can vary day by day within a single subject.

I have a list of assignments that need to be completed for the day. I try to work with ds first thing in the morning because his sister is not a morning person and sleeps later. I allow him to choose the order of the subjects, too. I'll do more of the one-on-on with dd before and after lunch, and she chooses the order as well.

--} Also, does having a timed schedule help or hinder your family?

)

It hinders me. My younger kids are just too unpredictible right now (as is life in general around here, lol.)

When I've tried timed schedules, my older kids have fought ANY needed changes. When changes would be made frequently, they lost all respect for any type of schedule. It was a nightmare.

I don't do timed schedules. In 11+ years of homeschooling, I haven't needed one. It would definitely be a hindrance for us.

Instead, we have routines. We usually start around 9am or so, by the time the kids are showered, dressed and fed.

For upper elementary/middle school, we do math, then language arts, then the other subjects.

We work around long hours at the ice center and my youngest son's therapies and doctor appointments.

Do all those with the timed schedules actually follow them closely? How do you know that each lesson will take that long? I find that my children do some lessons quickly and some more slowly, and that can vary day by day within a single subject.

I have a list of assignments that need to be completed for the day. I try to work with ds first thing in the morning because his sister is not a morning person and sleeps later. I allow him to choose the order of the subjects, too. I'll do more of the one-on-on with dd before and after lunch, and she chooses the order as well.

Yes, on our best days we follow very closely. My dd9 really prefers it that way too. To answer your questions: no we don't know how long a lesson will be. That is why I schedule time, not lessons. My dd has that math hour. I plan for about half of it to be working with me and doing corrections from yesterday, speed drills, and going over today's lesson and review. Then she has 30 min. to work on today's work. She rarely finishes her lesson in that 30 min. But she puts it away happily after working for an hour on math, and she begins her reading time after working hard for an hour. We have a built in homework period later in the day, and she will pick it back up then, refreshed after playing outside and ready to tackle it again.

We also have an independent work period for the first hour. In that time period, yes, we know that spelling workbook takes my dd less than 10 minutes. She is a natural speller, and it is easy work for her. Then she has a memorywork/copywork/or penmanship 10 minutes. Again, these are easy quick things. If she is working on a piece for memorization she gets that 10 minutes to go in her room and practice saying the piece in the mirror. If not, I assign copywork, and if I don't have anything prepared for that, she does a handwriting workbook page. easy peasy. And the last 30-40 minutes of that hour is her "writing" time. This is an open time without a particular curriculum where she can work on composition assignments or science or history or literature narrations. I don't assign something new here. She picks up whatever she has been working on. For example, if her english book gave her a book report assignment yesterday and she had done the rough draft in the 45 min. english time period yesterday, she will pick it up, look it over, show it to me, then go make a final draft in her best writing. If she still doesn't finish it in the 20 minutes, it goes back in her folder and she can work on it the next day. There was a big jump in writing assignments for us in 4th grade, so there is always something to work on. In the rare times when there is nothing on going here, she writes pen pal letters or thank you cards.

If a particular math lesson or chapter is giving her trouble, we just don't move on. We will spend our daily lesson time working on it and practicing and then put it away and work on it again the next day.

Science and history and art projects are often on going. They are never "finished" in the hour in the afternoon. There is often writing to work on the next day after doing a science experiment. So that carries over to the writing period the next day, etc. There is often more to read on the subjects, so that gets assigned during her assigned reading periods the next day.

So having a schedule is actually very freeing. We don't have to "finish" everything in a certain period, but we are free to break from a subject that we have been working hard on and move on to something else and give our brains a break, knowing that there will be time each day scheduled to finish it the next day.

I find having amounts of time scheduled for subjects mostly liberating. Although I always have permission to change the schedule/subjects, on any given day, for any reason! ;)

We do math for an hour. If she finishes her MM lesson early, we have time for LOF or other "fun" math, if not, we don't. We do latin for the amount of time specified - some days we do more pages, some less. This is very liberating, because it controls for both the difficulty of the lessons, and the fact that some days we're a little "off" and don't get as much accomplished.

For LA, it's more flexible: we do it for the hour before lunchtime, but actual time spent on different LA subjects varies tremendously from day to day. We usually work on MCT as long as we remain engaged, putting the book aside when our attention starts to lag. Sometimes that is 10-15 min, sometimes it is half an hour, again depending on the complexity of the material and general focus/attention that day. So the amount of time actually spent reading and discussing literature does vary from day to day (meaning the remaining part of the hour, after MCT, is spent on lit).

Writing is right after lunch, and it takes however long it takes to get through the WWS lesson. Some longer lessons we may do over two days.

Afternoon subjects (science and history) are scheduled to begin at a certain time, but the duration varies wildly, depending again on the topic and the level of engagement. It can be anywhere from half an hour on a bad day to 2+ hours. We just do one subject each afternoon, so it takes as long as it takes. If there is more to do and we're burned out, or we have an appointment or something so we can't continue, we just continue it the next day or next week.

So, the schedule is highly flexible, but the structure it provides is liberating.

I find having amounts of time scheduled for subjects mostly liberating....

Afternoon subjects (science and history) are scheduled to begin at a certain time, but the duration varies wildly, depending again on the topic and the level of engagement. It can be anywhere from half an hour on a bad day to 2+ hours. We just do one subject each afternoon, so it takes as long as it takes. If there is more to do and we're burned out, or we have an appointment or something so we can't continue, we just continue it the next day or next week.

So, the schedule is highly flexible...

This is our afternoon subject go too. I schedule an hour. But if it is a day that we have a field trip on Monday, we may just not do art. Or we may not finish a project and pull it out the next week to finish.

History can take up to 2 hrs, but we usually tire out after an hour and a half (this includes memorywork, discussion, timeline, outline, narration, and mapwork) so we may just stop when we need to and pick it up again later or during one of those freer time periods the next day (writing and reading)

We are not doing a timed schedule.

My 6th grader will be doing

WWS - 4 days

Hake Grammar - 4 days

Literature-4 days

Spelling/vocab - 4 days

History- 3 days

Science- 2 days

Co op art-Mondays

Math- evenings with Dad

Latin- 4 days

I am trying to keep a day open for interest led stuff and field trips

Time schedules do not work for us, but it doesn't stop me from trying them :lol: Last year, I put together a schedule that devoted 40 mins to ea. subject. The goal was to get the kids to spend MORE time on their lessons, and hopefully get extra (more focused) work done on a single subject. This bombed big time, and the kids actually got LESS done in our scheduled 6 hour day, then on their typical unscheduled 3 hour day. So, this year we'll stick to what works: an excel spreadsheet with all of their assignments listed for the week. They complete the subjects in any order they want. They check off an assignment as it is completed. I'm expanding our spreadsheet to 2 pages instead of 1 page so that I can fit more on their assignments list. They like the spreadsheet because they can work ahead in some subjects for the week, and they know that they are finished when all the assignments are crossed off for the day.

Also, dd 11 likes to start immediately with Math and get it over with (she hates math). But dd 9 is grumpy and slow to wake in the morning, and will spend about an hour in the morning composing music on the piano, lol. I've learned that this is the preferred thing to do, because if I try to get her up and going on math at 8:30 am, we're in for a really rough day!

We don't do a timed schedule. I pull out our lesson plan for that day and go over with her. My daughter just finished 4th and going into 5th. We talk about the objectives for the day it looks something like this:

Spelling 1 wk page

Math Lesson (with Mom)

History Lesson (with Mom and Sister)

Science reading

Grammar WKBK page

Grammar lesson (With Mom)

Math work

The lessons that are with me I do have a "Mom Time". Older DD might start working on her spelling and while she does that I will work with her sister on reading. Then say work with older kiddo on Math. She is free to work on her assignments during our school time in the order that she wants.

Monday school days usually are 9-Noon with (2) 10 minute breaks and a 20 minute break. Lunch then I try to History, Art or Science (our shared subjects) done. We finish up at 1:15p and if she as any work she wasn't finished and wants to work on it she is free to. Reading hour is from 2:45-3:45 in there rooms, or work independently or lego build or puzzles. Any way it's a time for them to have time apart and to just be.

Tuesdays will look something like this:

schooling from 8:30-11:15. Lunch the workshop/co-op from Noon-1pm come home and regroup for History or Art. finish at 2:45. Free time.

Wednesdays are a full day of co-op/workshops leave at 9a home at 3p. Home and rest/read until dinner.

Thursdays are pretty much a repeat of Mondays and Every other Friday is a repeat of Tuesday except insead of co-op we go to the Lib. the other Fridays is Dad's day off so we usually do a family thing, field trips, local science meuseum :D

My 4th grader's current daily schedule:

2 hour block: Foreign language, Bible, handwriting, typing

2.25 hour block: Math and Language Arts alternate days

lunch

1 hour exercise

2 hour block - Rotate between science, history, geography, logic, art and music.

Homework: Reading in bed for about an hour at night

Fourth and fifth grade:

Language art and math block: 1 h 45 min - 2 hr/day

Foreign language: 25-30 min daily (rotated between French and Arabic)

Religious instruction (Quranic recitation, Quran memorization, and rotate between Quran read aloud, prophet/good muslim stories/biography, and other aspect of Islamic study) : 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min daily.

Content subject block (FIAR or Beyond FIAR or other delight-based study): 1 hr-1 hr 15 min.

Total:

- w/o religious instruction: 3 hr 45 min.

- w/ religious instruction: 5 hr.

Independent reading: daily 30 min (no report required, just put in a log).

Weekend: typing, while they're on computer.

School routine for my 5th grader this fall.

Wake up begin chores and than start on his independent school work. Sometime during this time he will take a break for breakfast. Here is his independent work:

Science - Apologia

Elecitve – Rosetta Stone, Draw Squad

PE Journal - basic exercises

Workbooks – critical thinking, handwriting

Reading - 30 minutes

Grammar - Easy Grammar

Once independent work is done it is usually around lunch time so we stop for lunch and than we start on the subjects that we do together in the afternoon.

Bible - bible reading or memorization

Math - Saxon

LA – writing, spelling, read aloud

History

Games

• 1 month later...

I think that your 2nd schedule would be my preference just because you gave more time for break and lunch. My kids enjoy their after lunch playtime. They are 4th and 2nd and it gives them time to do games they want to do plus I like to see them playing with each other and their sister. We have a somewhat timed schedule but I don't break down each subject.

8:00 morning circle ( Bible, calendar, Awana once it starts, some Geography review)

9 - 10 work ( we start with LA and go on)

10:00 snack

10:20-11:50 continue work

12:00 - lunch/play time

1:00 - History or Science

2:00 - Typing/ computer time/ Latin

Fridays are for test, art and field trips. I will change it if necessary as we go along. We normally finish earlier buet we'll see how it goes this year.

We don't follow a timed schedule either. Here is what we try to accomplish each week:

Math (daily-this varies from one complete text lesson or time split between floor work lessons, table work lessons, living math books, mental math work, etc.)

Latin (at least 3-4 times per week)

French (at least 4 times per week)

English (daily-this varies but usually includes two of the following: grammar, composition, copybook, dictation and handwriting)

Science (2-3 time per week, but this fall this will go up to 3 times per week)

History (also 2-3 times per week, but this fall will go up to 3 time per week)

Literature (at least 4 times per week)

Bible/Religion (2 times per week)

Art/Music (2 times per week)

Geography (1 time per week but some will be integrated with history)

We usually take a lengthy lunch break...the girls eat lunch and have some leisure time too (This is great for me too....I need this...:D)

Some days we don't finish until 4 but I try to finish by 3:30 since both girls still have piano practice to do for the day as well... (this takes us from 3:30 until 5:15-5:30)

We have piano lessons on Friday at 3:00 so this shortens this day. We still need to set up lessons in ballet.

The girls both have assignment sheets that they have all week on which to work. This gives them both something to do when I'm busy with the other. They know to work on their assignment sheet (which includes work on independent reading books and memory work and several other things). Free reading takes place in their free time. We often have one book that we use for a family read-aloud and we read this at night before my younger dd goes to bed.

Edited by Kfamily

This is my tentative plan:

before 8-- reading (this is how ds likes to start the day)

8-9 breakfast & morning chores

9:00 - 10 math

10:00-11 break, snack, chores, outdoor time

11-noon writing and language arts.

12:00-12:30 prepare Lunch & audio book or music etc. possible outdoor active time for ds,

12:30-1:30 lunch and clean up, possibly with music or audio book.

1:30 - 2:30 history/geography/science/language if we do that (usually just one per day, except language which would be a little bit each day)

2;30 -3 or evenings, art (doing it), or music practice etc.

3-6 play with friends etc.

evenings sometimes an audio book, or documentary, sometimes writing.

I do try to stick to the times, sometimes something just cannot happen and gets deferred to the weekend. And if I see that basics are not going well in time allotted, I would pull a little time from somewhere else, such as up to now we have not done a language because the time is needed for the 4 R's.

Edited by Pen