Menu

Do you correct grammar of a person you know?

I'm not talking about in all situations.

If you know someone on a friendly but also customer basis would you point out grammar mistakes they have made on business related material?

The woman who owns the karate dojo we go to sends out weekly business emails about what is happening that week at the dojo. She regularly makes grammar errors in these emails she sends out to everyone. She is also a middle school teacher. There have been times while we have been conversing and she has pointed out mistakes in my speaking grammar. However, I will say that each time she pointed it out she misunderstood and/or was incorrect. So, technically she has been open about trying to correct me.

Her mistake in the latest email was typing Sensei's instead of Senseis when she was referring to plural.

Would you email her and point it out? I'm itching to do so, but I'm practicing restraint. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not talking about in all situations.

If you know someone on a friendly but also customer basis would you point out grammar mistakes they have made on business related material?

The woman who owns the karate dojo we go to sends out weekly business emails about what is happening that week at the dojo. She regularly makes grammar errors in these emails she sends out to everyone. She is also a middle school teacher. There have been times while we have been conversing and she has pointed out mistakes in my speaking grammar. However, I will say that each time she pointed it out she misunderstood and/or was incorrect. So, technically she has been open about trying to correct me.

Her mistake in the latest email was typing Sensei's instead of Senseis when she was referring to plural.

Would you email her and point it out? I'm itching to do so, but I'm practicing restraint. :tongue_smilie:

I would absolutely correct her if she were correcting me incorrectly. I'd keep quiet and secretly make fun of the mistakes in her emails, though. :D

she's a teacher and has poor grammar? (sorry, brings back memories of one of my son's english teachers. she accused him of plagerism becasue "teens don't use those words". uh huh. just 'cause you don't know them - based upon conversations with her - doesn't mean my children don't know them. she did apologize when she realized he actually used them in his everyday speech.)

I wouldn't bother trying to correct her - though that doesn't mean you can't exemplify good grammar. (or ask a question about how confused you are and wanting her opinion of what is correct. ;) it 'might' force her to think about it. then again, it would probably be a total waste of time.)

she's a teacher and has poor grammar? (sorry, brings back memories of one of my son's english teachers. she accused him of plagerism becasue "teens don't use those words". uh huh. just 'cause you don't know them - based upon conversations with her - doesn't mean my children don't know them. she did apologize when she realized he actually used them in his everyday speech.)

I wouldn't bother trying to correct her - though that doesn't mean you can't exemplify good grammar. (or ask a question about how confused you are and wanting her opinion of what is correct. ;) it 'might' force her to think about it. then again, it would probably be a total waste of time.)

Ok, this made me LOL! Aren't we supposed to be teaching them to increase their vocabularies and use the thesaurus when composing formal writing assignments? In other words, isn't one of our goals to have them use words in their writing that they don't necessarily use in day-to-day speech? I just don't understand that logic.

I remember my teacher from 7th grade English. It was her first year teaching and she reminded us frequently that she had gone to school to teach social studies, not English. She could not spell. She often did not understand the grammar rules well enough to teach them. It was a disaster year for me (in terms of growth, not grades) as I spent most of my class time helping her spell words or tutoring other kids in the class. What I did learn came from the textbook, not from the teacher. She is who I think of every time I consider sending my children into the public schools.

As for the OP, I wouldn't say a word. In this case, I don't think it would make a difference in anything but her attitude toward you.

Guest submarines
Maybe you could offer to proofread :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: If she sends those letters weekly, she might be genuinely in a rush. She might actually appreciate a proof reader. I'd offer.

Nope, not any more than I'd tell someone her tattoo is ugly.

:leaving:

:lol: Ugly...and misspelled! "Look! They wrote 'Angle Face'!" :lol:

It was rude of her to correct you, but I probably wouldn't correct her back.

I do use my facebook page to complain freely about funny grammar mistakes, so if this person was my fb friend and made the Hall of Fame, she might find out that way. It would have to be something more interesting than Sensei's, though. Something like "Bare with me well I ball my eyes out." That's funny. That needs to be discussed with 100 of my closest friends. ;)

:lol: Ugly...and misspelled! "Look! They wrote 'Angle Face'!" :lol:

I saw "She Fly's With Her Own Wings" on a tattoo in, you guessed it, WalMart. It was all the way across the woman's upper back.

I saw "She Fly's With Her Own Wings" on a tattoo in, you guessed it, WalMart. It was all the way across the woman's upper back.

Needless kitten carnage. It's a travesty.

I wouldn't correct her unless you ask her if the two of you can support each other in trying to correct each other's grammar and spelling.

My best friend will correct my pronounciation and I always send important letters to her to check for many things. I do not consider myself well-educated in this particular area and I'm open to correction. I would be embarrassed if correctly openly, but she's private and discreet in her corrections. She did ask if I minded if she corrected me on things prior to starting to do so.

In that situation...no. Although if she's constantly trying to correct you then the ball is in your court. Two can play. ;)

If it's a real glaring issue, I may correct someone. But I make mistakes and I wouldn't necessarily want someone correcting my grammar all of the time. Especially oral grammar. I try to leave room for dialect or personal expression when speaking. Within reason.

Although my ds is a grammar whiz and I'll let him correct things I see in fliers or online. We recently got an invitation to a wedding reception that said "Susie" and "John" was married in Mexico on...

I gave it to my ds and asked him what was wrong with it. He promptly said "they *were* married in Mexico."

So if the grammar mistakes are something that your kids read often, like a newsletter, then let them edit it.