Menu

Is "ish" a new slang word?

How can it be stand alone?

ish. Ish what?

I guess anything can be a slang word, but what would it mean?

ETA: LOL well I guess that it is a stand alone word. According to Urban Dictionary:

1. Slang term often used to replace "s**t." Derived from the process of editing the vocals of rap-songs by revershing the curse words so said song could be played on radio or television.

"That's the dope ish"

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

It means "sort of."

My hubby and I saw MIB3, and there was one guy in the movie that said it a LOT. I'm trying to think of some examples, but for the life of me I'm drawing a blank.

My son used to say it all the time. As in, "Are you hungry?" "Ish." (meaning "sort of"). But he has a language processing disorder, so I just always though he was using "ish" incorrectly. Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm just not up on the latest.:lol:

It means "sort of."

My hubby and I saw MIB3, and there was one guy in the movie that said it a LOT. I'm trying to think of some examples, but for the life of me I'm drawing a blank.

My son used to say it all the time. As in, "Are you hungry?" "Ish." (meaning "sort of"). But he has a language processing disorder, so I just always though he was using "ish" incorrectly. Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm just not up on the latest.:lol:

Okay, I guess I can see that.

us cool rats have been using ish for at least four years to mean "sort of" there was a point or a show that started the popularity of using ish as stand alone.. thinking it may have been an episode of The Office? It is going to bother me now till I remember the exact one.. but we started mocking that episode... naturally, we always used it added onto a word prior.. but there was a definite pop culture moment that sparked the stand alone usage for our "crew" of friends four years ago

Edited by Mandylubug

us cool rats have been using ish for at least four years to mean "sort of" there was a point or a show that started the popularity of using ish as stand alone.. thinking it may have been an episode of The Office? It is going to bother me now till I remember the exact one.. but we started mocking that episode... naturally, we always used it added onto a word prior.. but there was a definite pop culture moment that sparked the stand alone usage for our "crew" of friends four years ago

If you happen to remember, please tell me! Seriously, I thought my son's usage of it was because of his language issues...now I know he was just hip to the jive!:lol:

:lol:

We started using it in our family when we moved here to describe the "Malaysian" way of life.

Like businesses that open at 9... ish (meaning, really, whenever they want)

and is it illegal to turn on a red light? ish (meaning technically yes, but no one obeys ANY traffic laws here)

and prices on anything are definitely an "ish" since you can haggle them down even at the mall!

and sanitary levels are definitely an "ish" as in "clean-ish" since they wash and reuse drinking straws in restaurants here.

I could go on and on but ISH describes our lives here! :tongue_smilie:

1. Slang term often used to replace "s**t." Derived from the process of editing the vocals of rap-songs by revershing the curse words so said song could be played on radio or television.

"That's the dope ish"

Yep.

ETA: Sorry, I don't know how I messed up the quote, credit Tap, Tap, Tap please.

That's how I've heard it used around here -- as a stand in for "sort of". And typically from kids who are more into things like The Office or MIB, now that I think about it.

I haven't noticed it being a sub for sh!t, but maybe I'm not paying that close of attention. When people talk using a lot of slang I tend to lose interest and drift off into my own little world.

I've been using a stand-alone "ish" since high school, so at least 30 years (I thought it was something uniquely "me" :tongue_smilie: ). It's only relatively recently I've noticed it in more general usage.

ETA: I use ish for "about" or "approximately" or "more or less." If I want to mean "sh*t," I say "sh*t."

Edited by nmoira

When I lived in Minnesota for 6 years, I noticed people saying "ish" as a stand alone for "yuck" or "ick". At least that's what I assumed they meant.

Yes, most people I know who use this are from MN.

Perhaps we should mix it with some southern dialect. :lol:

A: "Did y'all see what that lady with the stroller did to me? It was just ish!"

B: "Well, bless her ish-ish heart. I'm going for a latte, want to come with?"

When I lived in Minnesota for 6 years, I noticed people saying "ish" as a stand alone for "yuck" or "ick". At least that's what I assumed they meant.

That's funny. As I mentioned, I grew up using "ish" in that way...in Minnesota. :)

We (dh & I) now often add it to the end of a word, as others have mentioned. My favorite was when trying to describe the color of a Prius...I couldn't decide quite what it was, so I said it was "vague-ish". :tongue_smilie:

A: "Did y'all see what that lady with the stroller did to me? It was just ish!"

B: "Well, bless her ish-ish heart. I'm going for a latte, want to come with?"

:lol::lol::lol: perfectscore.gif

My kids and I have been using it for years. Peter Reynolds was their big influence. He wrote Ish in 2004. :D
A book even!!!

I've been using a stand-alone "ish" since high school, so at least 30 years (I thought it was something uniquely "me" :tongue_smilie: ). It's only relatively recently I've noticed it in more general usage.

ETA: I use ish for "about" or "approximately" or "more or less." If I want to mean "sh*t," I say "sh*t."

LOL! Yes, "approximately" is how my son uses it. Once (it has become a family joke), he was tormenting his sister and greatly satisfied by her screams. He said, "I love my life. Ish."

That's funny. As I mentioned, I grew up using "ish" in that way...in Minnesota. :)

We (dh & I) now often add it to the end of a word, as others have mentioned. My favorite was when trying to describe the color of a Prius...I couldn't decide quite what it was, so I said it was "vague-ish". :tongue_smilie:

VAGUE-ISH!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, it is. :001_smile: My mom used to say it, so it's been around for at least 30 years (I don't know if she said it before she was an adult).

A: "Did y'all see what that lady with the stroller did to me? It was just yuck!"

B: "Well, bless her yuck-yuck heart. I'm going for a latte, want to come with?"

Yeeeaahh...still doesn't make sense to me.

It can mean "sort of" in an answer. Like, instead of a conversation:

A. What color is that?

B. Pink-ish.

It could be used like:

A. Is that pink?

B. Ish.

Essentially shortening a suffix.

Also used as a substitution for sh!t. I think it comes from radio edits of rap songs where they would reverse certain words. Generally used by "good kids" who don't want to actually cuss.

Such as:

"I feel like ish today."

or

"That new car is the ish!"

This is too funny. :iagree: I've lived in east central WI pretty much all my life. I never heard the word ish. Then we moved to north western WI (about 2 miles from the MN border) and I began hearing this. Not from people in WI, but in MN. They say ish for ick/yuck and ishy for icky/yucky. Like: "wash your hands...they are all ishy". :001_huh: Funny how a word can be so common in just one state and not others.

It can mean "sort of" in an answer. Like, instead of a conversation:

A. What color is that?

B. Pink-ish.

It could be used like:

A. Is that pink?

B. Ish.

Essentially shortening a suffix.

Your 1st example is how I've always heard it used. Your 2nd example is how my son uses it, and I thought it was due to his language problems. Apparently not!:lol:

:lol: I was born and raised in MN. My mom has it written in my baby book that my second word was "ishy." :D I never realized it's only a Minnesota thing.

This is too funny. :iagree: I've lived in east central WI pretty much all my life. I never heard the word ish. Then we moved to north western WI (about 2 miles from the MN border) and I began hearing this. Not from people in WI, but in MN. They say ish for ick/yuck and ishy for icky/yucky. Like: "wash your hands...they are all ishy". :001_huh: Funny how a word can be so common in just one state and not others.

Yep! I'm from Minnesota! we said "ish" all the time, meaning "yuck, gross, etc."

I have been familiar with the use of as a qualifier meaning sort of or kind of for at least 15 years now. An example would be if something was described as bluish that would mean it was knid of, sort of, mostly blue. I have only noticed the use of it as a stand alone word with approximately the same meaning in the last few years. For instance, if I asked my dd if she finished her homework and she said ish I would know she meant not commpletely. One place in particular I remember it being used in popular culture is by the characters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the series not movie) most often by Zander. I have never heard of or seen it to mean sh*t and if this is so I would say it is a fairly new usage.