Menu

I don't know why this makes me sad. I guess I'm just sentimental about things.

This is weird I know but yesterday, I called my moms home phone for the last time in 33 years. It was the number I gave out to all my friends, my dh when we first met and asked if he could call me for our a date, I called that number to tell my mom we having babies and called the to tell her they were born. It's a strange feeling never to need that number again. It will forever be in my head though.

My parents are moving to less expensive state, finally. I am not sentimental about the house they are leaving, I never liked that house or the city it was in. Just the phone number that I have dialed on my happiest of days, saddest of days and knew no matter what mom or dad would answer the phone.

:grouphug: I understand. My grandmother just moved to assisted living in another town. Her phone number changed as well. The phone number she gave up was the number she and my grandfather received when they first received phone service in the 1950s, and it was originally a party line. It is the only phone number anyone has used for her. Even my mom was saying how much changing that number effected her. I am happy that my grnadmother has moved to a new, better, safer, place but it just doesn't feel right calling her on a different number.

:grouphug:

You aren't alone. The house we are renting (from a family friend) has an unused land line still connected. It is the same phone number his GRANDFATHER had. It is the only phone number this house has ever had. No one is using it, yet it was still being paid for (by the family, not us) the last time we talked to the owner about it. We don't have a land line phone because of all the cell phones we have.

I know exactly how you feel! My parents moved after about 35 years in the same place and I can't shake that unsettled feeling when I see their address or phone number written down. It's been 8 months and I'm still adjusting.

They'd had the same phone number since 1968 and the same address since the mid 70's. They don't mind the changes at all, which astounds me since they're the same people who have maintained the same routine for years and years.

:grouphug: I understand. My grandmother just moved to assisted living in another town. Her phone number changed as well. The phone number she gave up was the number she and my grandfather received when they first received phone service in the 1950s, and it was originally a party line. It is the only phone number anyone has used for her. Even my mom was saying how much changing that number effected her. I am happy that my grnadmother has moved to a new, better, safer, place but it just doesn't feel right calling her on a different number.

I feel the same. My mother texted me last week to give me my mamaw's new number because she's moving in with Mom. I didn't line it at all.

My dear grandmother's been gone now for over twenty years and I still know her phone number. It, too, was originally a party line! Go ahead and be sentimental! The sentimental parts make this life worth living, imo.

Aww, I understand that. My parents just canceled their landline, as they use their cells almost exclusively. If I hadn't already been calling their cells for years, I'd feel a twinge about the landline. . . I used to spend hours on that landline when DH was away at college. :)

My dear grandmother's been gone now for over twenty years and I still know her phone number.

Me, too. In fact, I used it as the PIN number on my cell phone. I used to call my grandmother quite a bit, and give her number out as she kept me after school. I also remember my friends old numbers (they still work, their parents still have landlines, but the friends have moved out so I no longer call.) my mom still has her landline.

My DH is sentimental in the same way. His parents turned off their phone (that they had for 40 yrs) in order to move closer to mil's rehab facility.

When the home place was given to my DH, he asked the phone company if the old number was still available. It was! Now his childhood phone number is the number for the farm house. We don't live there, but DH likes that the old number is still associated with his boyhood home.

This is weird I know but yesterday, I called my moms home phone for the last time in 33 years. It was the number I gave out to all my friends, my dh when we first met and asked if he could call me for our a date, I called that number to tell my mom we having babies and called the to tell her they were born. It's a strange feeling never to need that number again. It will forever be in my head though.

My parents are moving to less expensive state, finally. I am not sentimental about the house they are leaving, I never liked that house or the city it was in. Just the phone number that I have dialed on my happiest of days, saddest of days and knew no matter what mom or dad would answer the phone.

I get it.

I called my home phone months after my Mom died, every now and then when I was feeling sad. I left the phone connected while I was cleaning out the house. At least you still have the parents if not the number!:)

After my dh's parents passed away and we were in the process of selling the house, a good friend of theirs who go to our church asked us if they could have dh's parents old phone number because they were in need of a new phone number and they lived in the same city. Apparently if you give the phone company permission they can have it. Of course we did, and now we know we still hear a friendly voice when we call that number. It actually has come in handy because they were willing to give out our number to people who were looking for my dh's family.

So... what is a 'party line'?

People used to share phone lines. In the older days, each person had a special ring, and everyone on your little rural route would know who was getting a call. You could pick up and listen in. You had to wait for the other people to get off before you could make or get a call. I think an operator was involved with each call, and did the special ring.

By the time I came along, numbers were 5, not 3 or 4 digit, and we shared a line with one or two other people and they weren't right next door. If you picked up the phone and heard someone talking, you hung right back up, and they were supposed to wrap up their chat and get off the line in the next 5 minutes or so. I last time I recall having one was in 1974. I left home home in 75 and didn't have a phone again until the 80s, and the lines were all private then.

Yeah, my parents just canceled their landline. They had the same number for almost 30 years. I was going through some books the other day from when I was in elementary school that had my maiden name and that phone number. :(

I've been there and I completely understand! My parents had the same phone number for more than 25 years, the number I grew up with, and it went away a few years back when they moved to a different city. Then two years ago, my grandma was moved to a nursing home and the phone number they'd had for SIXTY years was disconnected. Those are my childhood and they're gone. So I get it. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I get sentimental about things too. It's a good thing I think. :)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I keep dreaming about the house I grew up in. It was sold when my parents divorced. It still makes me cry. :grouphug::grouphug: Hopefully time helps heal your heart.

I also cried when selling my Baby Bjorn and the single stroller. And the car that we brought Pigby home from the hospital in. I totally get attached to the memory of things too. It will be ok. (more hugs)

Edited by meggie