Menu

15 dollars an hour for daycare???

What? Goofing off today, I'm scanning childcare availability in the area playing out "what if" situations for fall (should I need to go back to work)....and I'm finding rates from 10-15 dollars per hour for daycare here.

Per child.

Is this for real? Is that what it costs now? What are costs in your area?

I don't know if it's the local job wage in our area that throws this into the stratosphere, but man...three years ago I paid six an hour through a casual arrangement and it was ridiculous I thought. I am absolutely in amazement.

What? Goofing off today, I'm scanning childcare availability in the area playing out "what if" situations for fall (should I need to go back to work)....and I'm finding rates from 10-15 dollars per hour for daycare here.

Per child.

Is this for real? Is that what it costs now? What are costs in your area?

I don't know if it's the local job wage in our area that throws this into the stratosphere, but man...three years ago I paid six an hour through a casual arrangement and it was ridiculous I thought. I am absolutely in amazement.

This is the going rate in our area.

That's for nighttime babysitting, right? I've heard of some college age students charging that (which I think is crazy, btw) Here it's not more than $600 for full time younger care. I wouldn't expect more than that for older ;( Maybe I need to start doing childcare :)

Wow. That is only $3.75 per hour for a 40 hour week and a 4 week month.

daycare rates and babysitting rates are different. I think 15 is pricey for babysitting, but it does not surprise me.

If you need full time daycare and you go to either a daycare facility or a home provider the breakdown will be cheaper per hour. However, they generally have you on a schedule for a minimum of 2 full days a week. Some providers only accept 5 days a week, because it's hard to find other children to fill in the other days.

If you are wanting childcare only for a few hours at a time, the rates you pay will be high.

I work part time and I pay $30 per day for my 4 year old at a day care facility (two days per week). My ds8 will join her this summer and I will pay $24 per day for him (sibling discount). I drop off at 8am and pick up at 5:30pm.

ETA: I earn a decent salary for a part-time job. If I had to pay $10 -15 per hour, there would be no point to my working.

For an adult coming to your home to babysit, $15 is on the low side here.

For a daycare at a facility, that would be high.

For a home daycare--well, some here advertise $90 to $120 a week. For fulltime, at the sitter's home. I can't help thinking they'd have to have more than one kid and not much of an education to charge just that, but there are gov't assistance thingies the inhome provider can get that allow those charges.

Lack of affordable options for daycare is one of the reasons I transitioned to SAHM. Sure, it was tough financially at first, but with three children under three, my $40K salary wouldn't cover daycare, much less gas and the other incidental expenses that come with being in the workplace (clothes, the occasional lunch meeting). That was 11 years ago, so I can only imagine how it has gone up.

It's the going rate here, at least as a base. That's not just for evening babysitting, but for hiring a nanny. We pay $15 per hour for our occasional evening sitters and count ourselves lucky that we have found people for that little.

I saw something advertising daycare around here, and it looked like daycare (at a center, I think) would cost about $200 a week, per child, which is considerably less than $15 an hour, but still, it confirmed to me that daycare for my two little guys plus gas would eat up anything I'd make if I worked.

$15 an hour sounds more like nanny pay, and even when I was a nanny (granted, it was fourteen years ago, but still), nannies didn't make $15 per hour PER KID. My bosses paid me enough that I could support DH and myself pretty well in an expensive city, but it was still not $15 an hour per kid. Wowzers.

A few years ago I applied for a job at one of the top daycare centers around here (MA). WITH A 30% EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT is was going to cost $425 a week for my daughter to attend while I worked. Needless to say, I didn't take the job. But it is normal around here to pay more than $10/hr for babysitting for 1 child. Sitters don't get a whole lot more with each additional child though.

I know everything has gone up! A neighborhood babysitter use to be $7/hr, now its WAY more than that!

I posted on CL for someone to clean my house 1 day a week, basic cleaning and people responded with $20/hr!!! TWENTY! Good gravy!

In the reading I did, this was just for basic daycare, and I'm assuming more than one child in a home, not a center, no ponies or unicorns frolicking the grounds either.

It's just stunning.

I did see an interesting advertisement for one that was a organic/green setting for childcare in a home, and they were asking for applications. Bummer the place was 75 miles away.

I can't even tell you what went through my mind today reading all of this...none of the settings were extremely unique or prestigious in any manner.

I sat there and thought, "Wow, what if there were something really amazing, say like a specialty setting that did active teaching, subject rotations..sorta like a drop in home school sort of thing.."

If I thought we were here permanently, I'd be seriously looking for a rental and set something up. This dilemma shows me that there is a major drought for the service and care. Amazing. Simply amazing.

To have an adult come to your home to watch the kids, it's $12-15/hr.

For an infant in a daycare center, the median price is $900-1000/month. For a toddler, it's about $800/month. A preschooler is slightly less. And school-aged kids (20 hrs/mo or less) are about $400/month.

For me it is about quality of care. I would pay that much for a fantastic, well qualified sitter if I had the money. My children are my most precious 'possessions' and I want the best care for them. The turn over here in day cares and preschools is very high and a lot of it is because they are paid low wages (minimum wage often) for a very demanding job that requires long hours. I would not pay that much for a teen, but if she were good, I would be at least willing to pay minimum wage per hour, and more per child, just so she would be willing to come to my place more often. When I was in high school, eons ago, some families made it a point to pay me minimum wage or more because they felt the quality care I provided was important.

wow... I am a day care provider and I don't make nearly that amount. :001_huh: I basically make $2.00 per hour per kid. And that's the going rate around here for in-home care. AND I give a discount for siblings.

Who works for less an hour than that? Not many people... Right now I am making $6 an hour. Seriously.. to watch and care and nuture other people's kids, and most have complained about how much they have to pay me- to my FACE. This is a thankless job most of the time.

Perhaps it is time to move to one of these $12-15 an hour locations and open up shop!:D

Quality day care is sadly lacking in my town... I used to get calls all the time with parents begging me to take their kids but I refused to watch more so calls have dwindled. Hard enough to homeschool and care for the few I have.

But it was the extreme lack of good day cares that made me start one in the first place...I wouldn't leave my kids with any of the sitters around here.

• 1 month later...

I realize this thread is a month old... but it really does go to show some differences in areas.

I'm paying a sitter $10 an hour for my four kiddos (4,6,8 and 10), and this fall a new sitter will come on and bring her 8 month old. She'll take $10 an hour (it's under the table mind you), and watch my 5 and her 1 for 12 hours a week.

She seems pretty happy with it. It will be in my home, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Save some worksheets, they won't have to homeschool on my work days. We'll do M,W,F, and Sat for hsing. It's what our family can make work, you know?

For an adult coming to your home to babysit, $15 is on the low side here.

For a daycare at a facility, that would be high.

For a home daycare--well, some here advertise $90 to $120 a week. For fulltime, at the sitter's home. I can't help thinking they'd have to have more than one kid and not much of an education to charge just that, but there are gov't assistance thingies the inhome provider can get that allow those charges.

We pay $125/wk for an AWESOME on home day provider. She is trained as an early education teacher and worked in a preschool before going home to be with her own little girl. Now she keeps kids at home to supplement the family's income. She truly LOVES the kid and puts education into the days when she can. She has worked with us and voluntarily let us know she has a steep sibling discount when we had our new baby (So $180/wk)