Menu

Would it be possible to request a "preschooling" subforum?

kubiac

At risk of being incredibly presumptuous, do you think there might be an interest in a subforum for "preschooling," i.e. providing an enriched environment for children in the pre-K years?

If nothing else, people always seem to be looking for ideas for keeping toddlers busy while schooling older kids!

I know that doing school stuff with preschoolers is not considered "homeschooling" in some quarters, but even our fearless leaders have an article called "The Good Reader: Teaching Reading from Birth On" (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/teaching-reading/)!

Forgive me if this has already been broached and shot down, but I've been hoping for this for a while, and I just saw a forum member I respect immensely suggest the same thing on a thread from January, so I thought I'd post about it.

Y/N/maybe? Thoughts?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this would be a controversial thing, as so many people in the homeschool world are downright hostile toward "preschool homeschooling." Still, to me, that's an argument for having a subforum - a place where no one is likely to pop into a thread and tell you you're not "really" homeschooling yet.

I feel like this would be a controversial thing, as so many people in the homeschool world are downright hostile toward "preschool homeschooling." Still, to me, that's an argument for having a subforum - a place where no one is likely to pop into a thread and tell you you're not "really" homeschooling yet.

The simple fact that something so simple can even be so controversial is mind boggling. :confused:

Of course, I would put the comments of "you're not really homeschooling a three or four yo" right next to the "it's just kindergarten, or first . . . "--- in the unhelpful box! ;)

This has come up before. The "biggie" against the idea is that many parents whose oldest kid is over 6/7/8 wouldn't visit the board. You would lose out on the btdt experiences.

If y'all just want a place to chat, I think a social group is probably ideal. Maybe "advertise" it every few months with a reminder thread to let newbies see it. Or maybe you could ask to have it linked in a sticky so people could find it more easily. HTH.

The problem I foresee is that such a subforum might start attracting a lot of people who have no intention of homeschooling for the long run but are instead intending to enroll their children in public or private school once the child hits kindergarten age. Veteran HS moms who could offer advice probably wouldn't want to be wading through a ton of posts asking how best to prepare a child to attend PS kindergarten.

The board itself doesn't neccessarily have to be curriculum related to that degree. The main point of a forum is to share ideas. To me, it would be nice to have a place to chat regarding "keeping your toddler busy" "busy bags" "slow and steady get me ready" etc, or stuff like CM, WTM, Montessori/Waldorf inspired ideas such as skill trays, nature shelves etc.

If you look through the general h/s and the k-8 boards there are many mothers whom are asking for ways to keep their toddler busy (I always seem to see at 1 least thread somewhere on here a day), a place for those collective thoughts, without having to wade through "curriculums" of the k-8 board would be helpful.

As always, just IMO though ;)

The problem I foresee is that such a subforum might start attracting a lot of people who have no intention of homeschooling for the long run but are instead intending to enroll their children in public or private school once the child hits kindergarten age. Veteran HS moms who could offer advice probably wouldn't want to be wading through a ton of posts asking how best to prepare a child to attend PS kindergarten.

This has come up before. The "biggie" against the idea is that many parents whose oldest kid is over 6/7/8 wouldn't visit the board. You would lose out on the btdt experiences.

:iagree: Both of these points sprang to mind. As a leader of a homeschool group, I can tell you that the bolded issue is BIG. Many, many people "homeschool" preschool. A few times I have taken a great amount of time with someone, just to find out that they never intended to actually homeschool elementary. It may sound stuck up, but that's not where I want to pour my energy. Our co-op doesn't accept anyone whose oldest is not in 1st grade or above, because we repeatedly had people who just wanted to use it as a preschool.

Now, how relevant that is here, I don't know. It seems like there are probably lots of boards on the WWW for preschoolers. But it's not my bandwidth, so if the powers that be are game, I won't be protesting.

At risk of being incredibly presumptuous, do you think there might be an interest in a subforum for "preschooling," i.e. providing an enriched environment for children in the pre-K years?

If nothing else, people always seem to be looking for ideas for keeping toddlers busy while schooling older kids!

I know that doing school stuff with preschoolers is not considered "homeschooling" in some quarters, but even our fearless leaders have an article called "The Good Reader: Teaching Reading from Birth On" (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/teaching-reading/)!

Forgive me if this has already been broached and shot down, but I've been hoping for this for a while, and I just saw a forum member I respect immensely suggest the same thing on a thread from January, so I thought I'd post about it.

Y/N/maybe? Thoughts?

I think this is an excellent idea. A decade or two ago, preschool was seen as purely optional and something that parents enrolled children in for daycare or for some fun enrichment. That landscape has entirely changed and now preschool is basically mandatory through cultural/social norms and a family who says 'we're not sending our child to preschool' has the unwritten expectation that they do some sort of 'homeschooling preschool'.

In recognition of that cultural shift, I think it would be helpful to have a separate preschool subforum so that parents of 4-5 yo's especially who are feeling a LOT of pressure from family/friends (especially if it's their oldest child) can talk and get ideas for fun activities in the home.

I've noticed that among my friends, things that my mom did with me at home as a kid are now considered 'things for preschool' and aren't done by parents on a regular basis if the child is in school a few days a week (butterfly gardens, art/craft projects, holiday activities, etc...).

I think this is an excellent idea. A decade or two ago, preschool was seen as purely optional and something that parents enrolled children in for daycare or for some fun enrichment. That landscape has entirely changed and now preschool is basically mandatory through cultural/social norms and a family who says 'we're not sending our child to preschool' has the unwritten expectation that they do some sort of 'homeschooling preschool'.

In recognition of that cultural shift, I think it would be helpful to have a separate preschool subforum so that parents of 4-5 yo's especially who are feeling a LOT of pressure from family/friends (especially if it's their oldest child) can talk and get ideas for fun activities in the home.

I've noticed that among my friends, things that my mom did with me at home as a kid are now considered 'things for preschool' and aren't done by parents on a regular basis if the child is in school a few days a week (butterfly gardens, art/craft projects, holiday activities, etc...).

THIS.

Plus, I'm optimistic that having a separate group would allow for interested moms to have deeper, more detailed discussions about developmental progressions, age-appropriate read-alouds, attention span, etc.

There's a Maria Montessori quote, which I really hope isn't apocryphal, that I really like in respect as general moral support on this stuff:

"The most important period of life is not the age of university studies, but the first one, the period from birth to the age six; for that is the time when man’s intelligence itself, his greatest implement, is being formed...But not only his intelligence; the full totality of his psychic powers...At no other age has the child greater need of intelligent help."

Hmm, maybe.

TWTM seems to have a short chapter blending pre-school and kindergarten.

One dilemma is that many people you may want advice from won't even be reading a pre-school sub-forum.

This would be my only problem with a preschooling forum.

But on the other hand, it would be really, really nice to have a safe place to ask questions about teaching my 4-year-old to read without all the early childhood education haters coming out and getting nasty (I speak from experience). Seriously, I have had a couple experiences on this board where I felt kind of bullied by a few, specific members. Hopefully their disdain for preschool education would keep them away from a preschool forum and innocent moms looking for advice regarding preschool issues.

I think it is a great idea!

I could care less that some might come to the boards intending to "home-preschool" and then use public or private. That concern does sound snobby to me. This is a message board, not a local group or co-op. It makes sense to avoid that locally, but a message board is different. You really have no idea what the intentions are of someone online, nor does it really affect you if you answer their question and then they decide not to homeschool.

Edited by kesmom
added some thoughts

But on the other hand, it would be really, really nice to have a safe place to ask questions about teaching my 4-year-old to read without all the early childhood education haters coming out and getting nasty (I speak from experience). Seriously, I have had a couple experiences on this board where I felt kind of bullied by a few, specific members. Hopefully their disdain for preschool education would keep them away from a preschool forum and innocent moms looking for advice regarding preschool issues.

:iagree:

The couple of times I've ask for advice on preschool curriculum here there were some replies that I didn't think were too kind. If you don't think structured preschool is necessary that's fine, just don't give me advice on my post. I'm not posting questions about preschool to get permission from you. ;)

I think a subforum would be a wonderful place for mom's to feel welcome to post the concerns, suggestions, ideas, and general information about homeschooling preschool without worrying too much that they might get bullied.

Who cares if people who are intend to send their kids to public school are posting? Why must we judge? If they have decided to homeschool the preschool years and are wanting/needing some advice and you don't agree than just don't read that thread. Simple as that. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

I think it would be very helpful.. and I have older children.. but I'd still go there to get ideas for my younger kids..

The couple of times I've ask for advice on preschool curriculum here there were some replies that I didn't think were too kind. If you don't think structured preschool is necessary that's fine, just don't give me advice on my post. I'm not posting questions about preschool to get permission from you. ;)

I think a subforum would be a wonderful place for mom's to feel welcome to post the concerns, suggestions, ideas, and general information about homeschooling preschool without worrying too much that they might get bullied.

Who cares if people who are intend to send their kids to public school are posting? Why must we judge? If they have decided to homeschool the preschool years and are wanting/needing some advice and you don't agree than just don't read that thread. Simple as that. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

There are groups? How have I been on here for all these years and never realized? How do I find them?!

Click on User Control Panel in the top left of the screen, then scroll down the menu on the left until you find Social Groups. Click there, and when you've joined one, you can access it by going through control panel as already described or by clicking on your hyperlinked name in the top right of the screen and scrolling down a bit.

Rosie

:iagree: Both of these points sprang to mind. As a leader of a homeschool group, I can tell you that the bolded issue is BIG. Many, many people "homeschool" preschool. A few times I have taken a great amount of time with someone, just to find out that they never intended to actually homeschool elementary. It may sound stuck up, but that's not where I want to pour my energy. Our co-op doesn't accept anyone whose oldest is not in 1st grade or above, because we repeatedly had people who just wanted to use it as a preschool.

Now, how relevant that is here, I don't know. It seems like there are probably lots of boards on the WWW for preschoolers. But it's not my bandwidth, so if the powers that be are game, I won't be protesting.

Then why do we have an Afterschoolers forum? Are you against that too?

I think that's probably true. But not totally... I think a lot of people hop around the forum and some people read the forum by viewing all the posts chronologically, I believe.

The problem I foresee is that such a subforum might start attracting a lot of people who have no intention of homeschooling for the long run but are instead intending to enroll their children in public or private school once the child hits kindergarten age.

But why do we care? :confused:

I understand if someone doesn't want their kids to form friendships irl with people who aren't planning to carry through with homeschooling, but otherwise this just seems weird, as there are a LOT of posters on the general board whose kids are in school. This board is one of the only online places I've seen that is overall pretty welcoming to afterschoolers - it seems to me that this isn't so different from that.

But I've got no stake in this as my kids are older. And it may be that Rosie's suggestion of the social groups is better anyway.

I'd really like a preschool forum as well.

I would venture to guess that there is not going to be a large group of people here, who join this type of forum, that are "schooling" or dealing w/a preschooler. Most people who ask for advice about keeping a toddler busy are probably those who, like me, school older children and have a need to keep little ones busy while instructing older ones. At some point, ideas in my classroom become stale, overused, boring, etc. and I am in desperate need of something new and refreshing. A preschool subgroup may help those struggling with issues like classroom set up (how to keep little ones out of older students' books, etc.), keeping them occupied for more than a nanosecond, what toys/books are entertaining but have no sound, etc. I am a part of an active home school group, but since joining this site recently, I have discovered so many things that I had not heard of before, and read about ideas that have never come up in our group, etc. Lots of hs'ers have larger than average families and would probably have some invaluable input in a section like this. It is, I am guessing, less about "formally educating" your toddler and more about keeping them **productively busy**, challenged, and entertained ~ all without causing an inordinate amount of disruption to the older students' school day.

Just my newbie 2 cents :)

But I've got no stake in this as my kids are older. And it may be that Rosie's suggestion of the social groups is better anyway.

The problem with the social groups is that they are very inactive. I've been a member of quite a few for about 4 years and they still only have maybe 20 posts. A lot of the social groups I'm a member of are preschool groups. I think a sub-forum would get more views than an unknown, and often forgotten about, social group. ;)

The problem with the social groups is that they are very inactive. I've been a member of quite a few for about 4 years and they still only have maybe 20 posts. A lot of the social groups I'm a member of are preschool groups. I think a sub-forum would get more views than an unknown, and often forgotten about, social group. ;)

True enough, but I'm not sure if those groups were unsuccessful because there isn't enough to say to keep conversation going? There are other groups that boom. There are heaps of totschooling blogs and when you age out of them, you're into K work. Of course I don't know if this would be the case; I'm just hypothesising. My dd is a smidge asynchronous so very little preK info has ever been of any use to me, so I haven't really any dog in this fight anyway. :)

Rosie

It just seems overdone. There's hundreds, if not thousands of sites, dedicated to preschooling. How to do it, what to do, activities, crafts, books, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. There's forums, blogs, etc etc etc.

There's not that many quality, and "busy" sites and forums for homeschooling. I think that is one of the appeals of this WTM forum even though many regulars do not follow WTM. It's because this forum is busy, has alot of quality and informative posts about homeschooling. You can find almost anything you need to know here, just by asking.

I don't see the topic as needing it's own whole forum. Those who are doing preschool with their oldest, and thus fully dedicated to just preschooling, there's a TON of information out there already on other sites. Those who are homeschooling and have younger children that are coming along, well, there's lots of us in that boat, but it's generally only a boat you ride once, then you've got experience and you get off the boat. The occasionally questions that come up, do they really need a whole forum?

I would love this!

I too have had people seem to be overly annoyed when I asked questions about formal academics for a preschooler. Trust me, my kids have a ton of freedom to play and we already cook and do art projects and take walks... if I want them to do a few worksheets and they are begging to do them, then it's just rude when people respond "just cook with them, mama!" As though I never thought of that. :glare:

I also don't see the big deal about having people who just want to homeschool for preschool. Now that preschool is pretty much required in many places, I know of several parents who kept their kids out of preschool (for financial reasons, or because none of the preschools in the area were a good fit, or just because they didn't see the point), but then when their child gets to public kindergarten the child does not have many of the fundamentals that are now expected of kids going into kindergarten. If homeschooling for preschool becomes a "thing," what's wrong with having a place for people who want to talk about that? Especially if parents of older kids don't want the k-8 board cluttered up with questions about holding scissors.

And who knows. Maybe a few people will be converted to homeschooling the later years... preschool homeschooling is a gateway to the lifestyle. :tongue_smilie:

One more pro, which I think is a huge one. Preschool homeschoolers are new to homeschooling and new to this board, and usually are just asking the handful of same questions over and over again. I think it would be nice (for everyone) if it were possible to search in the preschooling subforum for terms and the results that come up are all preschool related.

One more pro, which I think is a huge one. Preschool homeschoolers are new to homeschooling and new to this board, and usually are just asking the handful of same questions over and over again. I think it would be nice (for everyone) if it were possible to search in the preschooling subforum for terms and the results that come up are all preschool related.

When I am looking for preschool specific answers I often have to wade through lots of unrelated results. It would be nice to have a place dedicated to those types of questions. For those who don't find much merit in the idea, I imagine they could ignore the board, just as I ignore the high school and afterschooling board, as they don't apply to me.

I personally would love one. Sure there are a lot of preschool resources out there, a newbie googling would across many "teacher/ school" resources which to me have a feel to them that I didn't like as a Mom. Almost 2 years ago I discovered 1+1+1=1 from a post on this forum. From there I found Confessions of a Homeschooler, Counting Coconuts, Homeschool Creations, etc. They all have been invaluable to me. But the problems with blogs (for me) is that a don't really have a sense of community. Besides a comment thanking the person for the work and maybe sharing my experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking other/general questions directed at the blogger. Posting a question in a forum where any/multiple people who have no obligation to do so is much more comfy to me. I wouldn't feel as if I was pestering anyone. It can be a bit intimidating on the regular board. The couple of times I posted I have been treated well.

I think that some homeschoolers of older kids have forgotten how nerve-wracking it can be for moms whose eldest is ps age. Whether or not someone engages in a formal curricum we are endeavoring to provide a good foundation for future learning. We can be full of doubts as to whether we are too much or not enough and trying to figure out our dc's personalities, strengths & weaknesses. It would be nice to have a place where we could go and lean on each other.

Then why do we have an Afterschoolers forum? Are you against that too?

Nope, but I also never click over there to offer advice. Like I said, I am not against a preschool board if SWB feels like paying for it. I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't offer up advice over there the same way I would if I saw something here on the K-8 board. But nobody is saying they want my advice, so no loss, right?

I think there are plenty of areas on this forum that members never post at. I've never even looked at the middle school, afterschooling, accelerated, high school forums. And every time I look at the general forum I just get annoyed or bored.

I would contribute to a preschool sub forum. My ds is moving into K but I have a nearly 2 year old and I do a lot of early learning activities with my kid sat that age.

Also I knew I wanted to homeschool while pregnant with my first. I would have loved to have a forum like this to talk about those early learning years. To talk to other moms with young children who also wanted to homeschool.

Too many people just seem to try to keep the littles busy, which translates into "out of the way of the big kids doing the real work of learning" until they reach an older age.

People do honestly homeschool toddlers and preschoolers. That doesn't mean they push and pressure or try to "hothouse"---but deciding early to homeschool can mean that you look at books and other activities for your 1 or 2 year old differently than a mainstream parent might.

I think it is a great idea!

I could care less that some might come to the boards intending to "home-preschool" and then use public or private. That concern does sound snobby to me. This is a message board, not a local group or co-op. It makes sense to avoid that locally, but a message board is different. You really have no idea what the intentions are of someone online, nor does it really affect you if you answer their question and then they decide not to homeschool.

I have no issue sharing ideas with mum's who have no intention of homeschooling. I think it's great that they care so much about their child's education they are willing to invest some of their time in doing things with them before school. I'm always open to encouraging mum's to "homeschool their preschooler" if it means they are keeping them at home and not sending them off to public preschool at 2 years old.

Sometimes from comments I read on this board I get the feeling that it's only acceptable for the under 5's to spend their time running naked and free and not have their tiny minds corrupted by even the sight of a workbook :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes from comments I read on this board I get the feeling that it's only acceptable for the under 5's to spend their time running naked and free and not have their tiny minds corrupted by even the sight of a workbook :tongue_smilie:

Heh. I think most moms here are convinced about the importance of play*, but the question many of us have is if we can gently and simultaneously make the play a teachable experience? What read-along books can emphasize and amplify a project? Is an ice-cream cone just a treat or a chance to sneak in a hands-on experience with a shape word (cone)? What favorite folk songs are great for teaching counting, and has anyone's kid taken to "Old MacDonald Had a Vowel, A-E-I-O-U"?

* Speaking of play, if you haven't yet seen Dirt and Boogers' 31 Days of Play series, it's just so fun and so inspiring. Highly recommended when you have some time to browse and read.

Heh. I think most moms here are convinced about the importance of play*, but the question many of us have is if we can gently and simultaneously make the play a teachable experience?

There's a line somewhere in there between acting dismissive toward preschool education and forcing piles workbooks on 3 yos who are too squirmy to do them.

I think there are plenty of areas on this forum that members never post at. I've never even looked at the middle school, afterschooling, accelerated, high school forums. And every time I look at the general forum I just get annoyed or bored.

I would contribute to a preschool sub forum. My ds is moving into K but I have a nearly 2 year old and I do a lot of early learning activities with my kid sat that age.

Also I knew I wanted to homeschool while pregnant with my first. I would have loved to have a forum like this to talk about those early learning years. To talk to other moms with young children who also wanted to homeschool.

Too many people just seem to try to keep the littles busy, which translates into "out of the way of the big kids doing the real work of learning" until they reach an older age.

People do honestly homeschool toddlers and preschoolers. That doesn't mean they push and pressure or try to "hothouse"---but deciding early to homeschool can mean that you look at books and other activities for your 1 or 2 year old differently than a mainstream parent might.

Exactly! While I see the benefit of getting more variety of input from posts on the main board, I would also love some dedicated discussion to the opportunities and challenges of the pre-school years!

Tracey in Oregon

Heh. I think most moms here are convinced about the importance of play*, but the question many of us have is if we can gently and simultaneously make the play a teachable experience? What read-along books can emphasize and amplify a project? Is an ice-cream cone just a treat or a chance to sneak in a hands-on experience with a shape word (cone)? What favorite folk songs are great for teaching counting, and has anyone's kid taken to "Old MacDonald Had a Vowel, A-E-I-O-U"?

:iagree: Many do seem to think of homeschooling preschool as workbook related but actually everything (except perhaps handwriting and even that could be adapted without having them sit) can be taught with play and no seatwork. I would like to have a preschool subforum where these issues can be discussed.

Edited by Tanikit

I also would love a preschool sub forum. I think a huge question to ask of posters in the pre school area would be their plan for the school years in a non judgmental way but also a way to gage the optics of the poster.

I have a 16 month old, she does not talk, but does sort by color and size her veggies at dinner and eat them in size and color order. She loves to have stories read to her and play.

Our school years plan is homeschool. We are also looking for a program that exceeds our state curriculum which includes 4 year old pre school standards. So while many and we agree say focus on the play and discovery based learning the state if we wish to follow mandates certain skills.

Our state common core enhanced standards state in real general terms that the child will write all letters with minimal assistance, spell common words, recall details of various readings and count to 10 with an understanding of basic math up to 10.

Edited by sparkygirl

I think some people would like a place free from comments like,"Oh, stop worrying about academics. Teach them to do chores and have good manners and just enjoy your little one." I know those comments are annoying, but they are for your own good.

Use the K-8 forum.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of comment I find really dismissive.

I'm pretty sure that we can enjoy our little ones AND want some advice about preschool level nature studies AND teach them manners and chores AND ask for advice about a workbook for a letter-writing-obsessed 3 year old. Days are pretty long with preschool aged kids.

I also don't appreciate having someone else tell me what's "for my own good."

But these are also the kind of answers that make me want a preschool forum. I know you mean well, ad I assume the "it's for your own good" was just a joke, but preschool questions always get this answer and it's not helpful, kwim? Motherhood is already a journey with a zillion people and companies and books telling you about how, no matter what, 'YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.' And when people come here for support, asking questions that are based on their own experiences and philosophies and, most importantly, their own reading of the needs and interests of their children, then this forum becomes just another place telling you you're doing everything wrong. Which is disheartening, and kind of lonely.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of comment I find really dismissive.

I'm pretty sure that we can enjoy our little ones AND want some advice about preschool level nature studies AND teach them manners and chores AND ask for advice about a workbook for a letter-writing-obsessed 3 year old. Days are pretty long with preschool aged kids.

I also don't appreciate having someone else tell me what's "for my own good."

But these are also the kind of answers that make me want a preschool forum. I know you mean well, ad I assume the "it's for your own good" was just a joke, but preschool questions always get this answer and it's not helpful, kwim? Motherhood is already a journey with a zillion people and companies and books telling you about how, no matter what, 'YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.' And when people come here for support, asking questions that are based on their own experiences and philosophies and, most importantly, their own reading of the needs and interests of their children, then this forum becomes just another place telling you you're doing everything wrong. Which is disheartening, and kind of lonely.

Maybe you should just avoid online forums all together. I'm not exactly sure what your expectation is of a p/s forum, but it sounds like (based on this paragraph) that you don't want anyone to tell you that you are wrong (Specifically the k-8 moms. You know, the ones who have the most p/s experience?). The internet is perhaps the worst possible place to seek out total agreement on....anything. So while there may be plenty of valid reasons for wanting your own board, the above paragraph is definitely not one.

And for all of you p/s moms that are offended by all of us devil's advocates, the logic stage boards were debated this same way. It's part of the process, so please don't take it personally. In the end, it only really matters what SWB thinks. She's the one who foots the bill, kwim?

I know you mean well, ad I assume the "it's for your own good" was just a joke, but preschool questions always get this answer and it's not helpful, kwim?

No, I wasn't joking. Some 'academic homeschooling for preschoolers' posts should be naysayed. Creating a place with no naysayers is not going to be healthy.

No, I wasn't joking. Some 'academic homeschooling for preschoolers' posts should be naysayed. Creating a place with no naysayers is not going to be healthy.

By the same token, creating *this* space (i.e., a pro-HSing board with very few naysayers) could be viewed as not "healthy" by those who view HSing as an inferior and even perhaps detrimental educational choice. Should this board also be shot down? Who gets to decide which themed forums are "healthy"?

I would ADORE a preschool subforum. There are so many great preschool threads in this forum but they get lost among all the other threads and are hard to find again. My parents had the play and no academic mindset for preschooler age. I went to school far behind my peers and really struggled. With my 5 +6 year old we incorporated starfall and other things when they were 3 (the youngest joined in at her own accord at 2). They loved it and learned. I don't understand the hate for those who decide to do something other then all play. Learning can be fun and playful too!

By the same token, creating *this* space (i.e., a pro-HSing board with very few naysayers) could be viewed as not "healthy" by those who view HSing as an inferior and even perhaps detrimental educational choice. Should this board also be shot down? Who gets to decide which themed forums are "healthy"?

I think a better analogy of

Academic Preschool Homeschooling vs. Just Being a Mom

would be Rigourous Full Day Homeschooling vs. Relaxed Homeschooling

Would it be healthy to have a seperate K-8 forum for people who hate to hear, "You are doing too much. That is overkill." No, I don't think that would be healthy.

I guess SWB gets to deside what is healthy. Judging from The Well Trained Mind preschool chapter, I doubt she will go for a preschool forum. But if you do get a pro-academic preschool forum, I won't be on there bothering you. I won't even read it.

I don't know if I would be asking too many questions on a preschool forum, but I would definitely be more comfortable answering questions in that environment.

We do a lot of "normal" preschool things in a slightly more intentional manner. I make sure we get in a variety of large and small motor activities. I find activities for crossing the midline to help with later reading skills. It looks like a lot of other houses with young children, but I do have goals beyond keeping my children from chewing on each other.

I avoid answering some questions on the K-8 board because of the typical responses. Sometimes I don't answer because I have no relevant knowledge or experience. Usually those are questions about boxed preschool programs. I have found the accelerated board to be very helpful for me with my children who were demonstrating academic skills at a young age. I feel like it's a bit outside the intended scope of that board, but it has been a more welcoming group if any of you have questions about preschoolers working on traditionally school age material.

I think it's okay for someone to read a post about a toddler not wanting to sit for reading lessons and suggest it's too soon. I do think that some parents of older children forget how much little ones are capable of, as much as some parents of young children don't realize how little their children are. It's a different experience to spend all day alone with a toddler or preschooler than to spend the day fitting that toddler into the routine of an already busy household. I wouldn't say the "relax" folks are always wrong, but I do think a lot of it is a difference in perspective.

Did I really need to type all of that? In any case, I would enjoy and participate in a preschool forum. I wouldn't expect all of the naysayers to disappear though.

if you do get a pro-academic preschool forum, I won't be on there bothering you. I won't even read it.

I wonder if a preschool forum could even just be a place to discuss definitions. Like what is "pro-academic preschool"--is it seatwork, or is any environment where learning takes place? For example, some people think no "school" stuff should be happen before age 5, others favor "better early than late."

I think there's a big unanswered question: What is school before kindergarten? Is it just parenting? Or is there more? Should there be more?

At both ends of the range, there's so much interesting variation in how parents fill that time and of course all those parents want their child to be as well-prepared for "real school" as possible.

It's funny, they always tell you "There's no perfect preschool, just the perfect preschool for your family," and I suspect that applies as much to homeschoolers as to institutional environments.

Edited by kubiac

I guess SWB gets to deside what is healthy. Judging from The Well Trained Mind preschool chapter, I doubt she will go for a preschool forum. But if you do get a pro-academic preschool forum, I won't be on there bothering you. I won't even read it.

(but I don't have any pre-k'ers)