Menu

Would it be possible to request a "preschooling" subforum?

kubiac

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested too! Its been 6 yrs since I had a 3 yr old. He is a bright kid who has learned tons from being in a homeschool environment. I've been working on activities to keep him engaged while his sisters do their work. Everyone that is old enough to sit in a highchair is "doing school" here. Little ones need supervision and fun experiences as well!

No new news? :D

I left a message on SWB's personal page but I don't know how to reach her other than that, since I don't think she has PMing turned on. Forgive my ignorance about the secret ways of the board!

I think a preschool board would be great too! And I also get a bit annoyed with the attitude of "but they're little, just PLAY with them". I know my kids are little. But frankly if I don't do SOMETHING with them that doesn't involve running around pretending I'm a pony all day long, I'm going to go nuts. If I'm going to introduce a new "game" it might as well be educational, kwim?

My kid currently gets mad at me if I forget to play phonics games with her, so I don't think I'm destroying her childhood here. She still spends the other 99% of the day pretending to be a "tiny baby pony who has just been born". In fact, often she plays phonics games WHILE pretending to be a tiny baby whatever that has just been born. Apparently these are genius babies.

Edited by AdventureMoms

I think a preschool board would be great too! And I also get a bit annoyed with the attitude of "but they're little, just PLAY with them". I know my kids are little. But frankly if I don't do SOMETHING with them that doesn't involve running around pretending I'm a pony all day long, I'm going to go nuts. If I'm going to introduce a new "game" it might as well be educational, kwim?

My kid currently gets mad at me if I forget to play phonics games with her, so I don't think I'm destroying her childhood here. She still spends the other 99% of the day pretending to be a "tiny baby pony who has just been born". In fact, often she plays phonics games WHILE pretending to be a tiny baby whatever that has just been born. Apparently these are genius babies.

LOL, this sounds a lot like our house! I love staying home with DD and wouldn't change it for the world, but I can only take so much "playing" each day! There are a lot of hours in the day, just because we find some school things to do with our 3 yo's doesn't mean we're not playing, cooking, having playdates, going on outings, playing, reading, and playing some more with them, too!

DD also has an active imagination and will often stay in character for school. Her favorite is to pretend a monster is after us, so we have to hide under the blanket while we read our sonlight stories. Then we use our MUS blocks to build a trap for the monster.

LOL! I was actually a little releaved when DD turned five this past weekend...now she's officially qualified to learn. Yippee! :001_rolleyes:

:iagree: I'd like to say I'm surprised at some of the comments here, but I can't. I can say I don't understand it. Not everyone homeschools the same. Not everyone lives the same life or has children with the same interests and abilities. Not everyone who is interested in early learning opportunities for their under-five-year-old is pushing them too hard and heading for burnout. Yes, there certainly are those, but some children are genuinely ready and chomping at the bit long before others. Some little ones want to be like their older siblings and parents don't want to find ways to just keep them out of the way but to incorporate them into the homeschool/family time.

I think an Early Years or 0-5 board is a great idea. I know a lot of people are reluctant to post questions for fear of the inevitable chastisement about how they should just be playing in the dirt, cooking, and reading picture books. A place where parents of 0-5 children could get advice on books, arts, crafts, incorporating siblings, and early learning ideas would probably go a long way toward making people feel more welcome when beginning the journey of educating their children.

I would love as 0-5 board. I have an in-home daycare and am always looking for new ways to incorporate learning through play.

I borrowed TWTM from the library so I don't have it to reference right now, but I was thinking about it (as I just read all 12 pages of this thread). Didn't SWB's daughter go to ps kindy with a 5th grade reading level? If I remember correctly, there were short intentional reading lessons b/c her dd wannted to "do school" like big brother. Hmmm, sounds like she was taking cues from her child and offering appropriate activities to help her child grow. Isn't that we're wanting here?

LOL, this sounds a lot like our house! I love staying home with DD and wouldn't change it for the world, but I can only take so much "playing" each day! There are a lot of hours in the day, just because we find some school things to do with our 3 yo's doesn't mean we're not playing, cooking, having playdates, going on outings, playing, reading, and playing some more with them, too!

DD also has an active imagination and will often stay in character for school. Her favorite is to pretend a monster is after us, so we have to hide under the blanket while we read our sonlight stories. Then we use our MUS blocks to build a trap for the monster.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not alone! My "tiny baby pony who has just been born" often needs stories read to her, and colors pictures of ponies next to every sentence I write for her to read on the whiteboard. We have days where she stays in character from the moment she wakes up until she goes to bed at night. I really prefer to play with c-rods with the pony rather than picking grass for her to pretend to eat.

Edited by AdventureMoms

See and this is the type of answer I would expect to get and why I haven't posted asking how to encourage my almost 3 yo's pencil grip.

People assume if you ask a question like this you are "forcing your child to do developmentally inappropriate things". That may be true in some cases but in general I find the group tends to jump to the conclusion that the OP is "pushing" their kid.

My almost 3 yo cannot hold a crayon in his fist and make a mark on the paper. He cannot figure it out. I don't want to ask about his pencil grip and be told by 50 different posters that I need to relax and he will get it and all children develop differently. Yes I know that -but every developmental list I have ever read says a 3 yo should be able to scribble with a crayon held in their fist.

I'm not going to relax and then find myself asking when he is 6 years old -why can't my 6yo scribble with a crayon :001_huh:

:iagree::iagree:

I belong to a couple of other homeschooling boards -they all have 0-5 boards and they are fairly popular.

As for not having a board with naysayers - I'm pretty sure if someone posted they were looking for a boxed curriculum for their 18 month old there would be quite a few people telling them to relax - me included :001_smile:

Just because I want a preschool board doesn't mean I am looking to sit my 3yo down with a bunch of workbooks for a couple hours a day - I'd like to see me try:lol::lol:

I am not sure if the grip thing was an examply or not, but go to therapro.com or maybe a school supply store and ask for the CLAW grip. You can literally put it on any writitng utensil.

http://www.therapro.com/Writing-Claw-Grip-P321651.aspx

Also, try taking the crayon and have them pinch the crayon upside down with the point at the top and then flip it around to fit in the crook of their hand. They will automatically have a pincer grip that way. It is one of the remediation techniques from HWOT.

I think with all the other forums and sub-forums...why not a sub-forum for questions about the 0-5 age range.