Menu

A names for a Boy....

Okay, so we're both thinking about it.

I told him we have a little time to think about it, but we do need to do it soon as the judge has to have the right name on the paperwork the lawyer gives him.

So kid is five. And we need A names.

Any you LOVE? Any you hate?

Middle name will be Jeremiah (we are naming him after my stepfather).

Last name is one syllable, very hard sound, think German.

My daughter's favorite right now is Alexander. Thankfully, if we go with that, kid already could spell it (if we told him about the X) and write it so we don't have to consider that.

Honestly, I think of him as his name so lean towards not changing it. I just HATE that everyone calls him "she" and "her" based off his name.

Oh, one name off the list is Anthony as that is the middle name we gave his brother.

I don't think I really have a style. *I* would go more traditional or classic, but since I had birthparent help in naming the kids...the youngest of the three has a pretty trendy first name (we just changed the spelling). However, the girl has two very classic English names, sounds very royal. My bigs are named Kimberly and Johnathan. I do love Biblical names (Benjamin, Josiah, Isaiah). Anyway, so we can go any which direction.

ETA: Could we, if we just couldn't find the perfect A name, give him another first name so it will be something crazy long like Patrick A***** Jeremiah ****? Not saying Patrick is a choice, just needed something for the post.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I'm guessing on what his current name is based on the fact that it was originally male but now everyone thinks of it as female. So, I may be completely off since I'm sure there's another unisex A name out there. :)

What about Asher? It's become more popular in recent years, but I don't think it's terribly trendy or common. I have a male cousin named Ash. Generally a name like that would be a little nature lovey for my taste, but it has always sounded peaceful yet strong to me.

My first thought was Alexander before I read that was also your daughter's top pick. I think it is a very strong name and would go well with a single syllable hard name. Plus the added bonus for a little guy would be simply calling him Alex which is quick and easy for him to spell.

Andrew, my youngest son's name.

:iagree:Andrew is a great name, and Andy is a cute nickname, though my Andrew has always chosen to be Andrew. (The first disciple called by Jesus, and it means "manly," IIRC, which is particularly appropriate for my Andrew, the oldest of three brothers.) Andrew Jeremiah is really nice! I love Alexander as well!

Sorry for not adding it. We CALL him AJ.

Well my family wanted to call my Austin AJ. His name is Austin John Patrick and they all wanted to call him AJ. Funny that I have a son with an A name and it didn't even come to mind when thinking of A names lol

DS8's middle name is Andrew, and I have a cousin named Adam as well so I am partial to all those names. BUt Alexander is still the one that came to mind first.

Axel - We have an Axel and I love it (and get great reactions from others). Our last name is German-ish, too, and Axel is both German and Scandinavian. It means "my Father is peace." His middle name is Andrew, which would be another good option.

Axel - We have an Axel and I love it (and get great reactions from others). Our last name is German-ish, too, and Axel is both German and Scandinavian. It means "my Father is peace." His middle name is Andrew, which would be another good option.

I knew an Axel! Very cool name.

Okay, so with Axel, how do you get past Axel Rose?

I forgot to mention that Adam is simply not a choice, no way, no how.

Thanks for the opinions about all of the names. This was so easy last summer before they really became their own names to me. And if it is this hard for me, how hard would it be for him? But then he's open to it. So discussing some options seems reasonable. And the original problem (people assuming my A***** is a girl) is so annoying!!!

I forgot to mention that Adam is simply not a choice, no way, no how.

Thanks for the opinions about all of the names. This was so easy last summer before they really became their own names to me. And if it is this hard for me, how hard would it be for him? But then he's open to it. So discussing some options seems reasonable. And the original problem (people assuming my A***** is a girl) is so annoying!!!

I don't claim to be any sort of music guru, but I had to google just now to find out who he is. I'm 27, so my guess is he won't have problems with his peer group making the connection. ;) Oh, and Wikipedia taught me he spells it Axl. Not nearly as cool as Axel.

You just do! I'm from that era, and yes that association popped in my head early on. Now, it's no biggie -- really. The first time I mentioned it to my husband as in idea (pre-birth), I prefaced it with "Okay, you're going to laugh, but get past that and then let me know what you really think." And he did (laugh) ... then got over it. Eventually he liked it more than I did before he was born. Now it's not an issue at all.

I made up a fun song when he was at the point of standing while holding on to my hands (sung to the tune of "He arose" -- the Easter song):

Up from the couch he arose!

With a might triumph o'er his toes!

He arose a victor over gravity

And he's standing here on his mama's knee.

He arose!

He arose!

Hallelujah ~

[You know the ending right?]

Axel rose!

:lol:

Edited by milovaný

Guest submarines
Okay, so we're both thinking about it.

I told him we have a little time to think about it, but we do need to do it soon as the judge has to have the right name on the paperwork the lawyer gives him.

So kid is five. And we need A names.

Any you LOVE? Any you hate?

Middle name will be Jeremiah (we are naming him after my stepfather).

Last name is one syllable, very hard sound, think German.

My daughter's favorite right now is Alexander. Thankfully, if we go with that, kid already could spell it (if we told him about the X) and write it so we don't have to consider that.

Honestly, I think of him as his name so lean towards not changing it. I just HATE that everyone calls him "she" and "her" based off his name.

Oh, one name off the list is Anthony as that is the middle name we gave his brother.

I don't think I really have a style. *I* would go more traditional or classic, but since I had birthparent help in naming the kids...the youngest of the three has a pretty trendy first name (we just changed the spelling). However, the girl has two very classic English names, sounds very royal. My bigs are named Kimberly and Johnathan. I do love Biblical names (Benjamin, Josiah, Isaiah). Anyway, so we can go any which direction.

ETA: Could we, if we just couldn't find the perfect A name, give him another first name so it will be something crazy long like Patrick A***** Jeremiah ****? Not saying Patrick is a choice, just needed something for the post.

My bolding: I really like this option, especially as you already think of him as that name. This way you are acknowledging his birth name, but also adding something new to celebrate him becoming a part of your family.

Okay, a couple names to throw out....

Adrian? It kinda hit me when my son was reading it off a webpage on the way back from swim lessons last night. Then it was the name of our waiter last night. But it seems "bigger" than AJ. Does that sound odd? But AJ is, and almost defintiely will be, a fairly short, thin, handsome young man. He has a beautiful smile, but he's not gonna be a big guy by any means.

Arlen?

Averall? - pronunciation?

Azel? - Ay-zel?

Double middle names (or first?) - how do you write this on a form? The form says last, first, middle. What does a kid with the name Levi Ashleigha Jeremiah Burch put?

Other double middle/first name question - Is there a way to bring together a trendy name and more traditional/classic/biblical names? Using the example above, what could bring together something like Ashleigha and Jeremiah?

What name would you use to do a double first or middle name? Would you hyphen it? Would it need to be really short? Any ideas on what? If you use the name above (Ashleigha Jeremiah Burch), you'll be close enough.

So my leaning is definitely Aaron and Alexander with Andrew there also. I just really want to consider some other options, maybe a tad outside my initial comfort level. Axel is growing on me. Hubby doesn't think it fits him. I kinda think he'll grow into a name. He's only five! Austin seems like us to some degree, but unsure about it with Jeremiah. I thought about Anders but kinda think it needs the "on" at the end of it.

ETA: One more idea....By changing one letter (both time), it would be much more male (until parents take over that also). That is not a popular name at all, like number 1000 to 10,000 for the past two decades. So way down there. Either people will think we have a girl and was trying to be different (or maybe we are just dumb?) or they'll guess he is a boy.

ETA2: What about a crazy idea like A. Jeremiah Lastname ? Doesn't seem any worse than my mom's idea of just naming him AJ.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Okay, a couple names to throw out....

Adrian? It kinda hit me when my son was reading it off a webpage on the way back from swim lessons last night. Then it was the name of our waiter last night. But it seems "bigger" than AJ. Does that sound odd? But AJ is, and almost defintiely will be, a fairly short, thin, handsome young man. He has a beautiful smile, but he's not gonna be a big guy by any means.

Arlen?

Averall? - pronunciation?

Azel? - Ay-zel?

Double middle names (or first?) - how do you write this on a form? The form says last, first, middle. What does a kid with the name Levi Ashleigha Jeremiah Burch put?

Other double middle/first name question - Is there a way to bring together a trendy name and more traditional/classic/biblical names? Using the example above, what could bring together something like Ashleigha and Jeremiah?

What name would you use to do a double first or middle name? Would you hyphen it? Would it need to be really short? Any ideas on what? If you use the name above (Ashleigha Jeremiah Burch), you'll be close enough.

So my leaning is definitely Aaron and Alexander with Andrew there also. I just really want to consider some other options, maybe a tad outside my initial comfort level. Axel is growing on me. Hubby doesn't think it fits him. I kinda think he'll grow into a name. He's only five! Austin seems like us to some degree, but unsure about it with Jeremiah. I thought about Anders but kinda think it needs the "on" at the end of it.

ETA: One more idea....By changing one letter (both time), it would be much more male (until parents take over that also). That is not a popular name at all, like number 1000 to 10,000 for the past two decades. So way down there. Either people will think we have a girl and was trying to be different (or maybe we are just dumb?) or they'll guess he is a boy.

ETA2: What about a crazy idea like A. Jeremiah Lastname ? Doesn't seem any worse than my mom's idea of just naming him AJ.

Asher is close to asheleiha while still being masculine.

Asher is close to asheleiha while still being masculine.

Totally am not comprehending the info. It's not Ashleighla or whatever, right? Because if that's his name, I would totally go with Asher Jeremiah. I LOVE Asher compared to many names, and like it in it's own right :) I'm not much into initials as names, so personally I'd be going for something that you can see him actually using as an adult, if he chooses. :) Asher sounds VERY masculine to me :)

Aaric

Adrien

Abram

ETA: Both our sons have two middle names. We used a hyphen so it makes it one. Otherwise, according to the records person at the hospital when our first was born, the second one gets dropped on most offical papers. So, our boys are RXT and ZAT, even with two middle names.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

NayfiesMama, sorry to be confusing. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality issues, I'm not allowed to use HIS name until he's legally mine. So I chose something understandable (and then needed an extra syllable so changed it too).

On top of that the situation makes it confusing, my head is jumping around crazy so my posts sound nuts :)

Not Aidan! That is my dog's name, chosen by my kids because he is an Irish breed of terrier.

Everywhere we go, there is a boy named Aidan. It is a very popular name, even out here in the middle of nowhere. Had we known that, I may have been able to persuade my family that Jetson was a better name for the dog.