Menu

What are your recent thrift store scores/bargain buys?

alisoncooks

I've been super-happy at a couple of recent thrift store finds...things I was actually wanting/needing for next year:

• $0.50 - paperback - Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (used in WWE 1 and I didn't have a copy)
  • $1 - Lauri toys Tall Stacker pegs (I've been wanting some of these since drooling over the MFW preschool pkgs a few years ago! SCORE!)
  • $0.25 - The Read-Aloud Handbook (newest edition in excellent condition, so glad I found this before caving on it from Amazon!)

What have you found recently that you were excited about? (for school or otherwise) :)

I've had pretty good luck finding things lately - I'm blessed to have wonderful thrift shops here.

At a large book sale last week I found:

The entire set of Happy Hollisters in hardback for $1 a book

Saxon Algebra 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2 and Physics all for $1 per hard cover book

Several SL books we needed

A vintage Iroquois Math book for grade 7 that I've fallen in love with - it's from the 1940's and covers things not taught anymore

At our local thrift shop 2 blocks away a few days ago:

Several SL books for .50 each

The Entire set, with teacher's manuals of Science Daybooks for Physical Science, Earth Science and Life Science for just .50 a book. These are for middle school and were brand new!

They also had, but I didn't buy it, a Lakeshore learning tabletop pocket chart set with stand for $3. I was very very tempted!

Too many to list. My kids have close to 200 quality children's books, picture and chapter, and only a handful of them were bought new. I rarely ever buy new books. Consignment thrift stores/Salvation Army and library used book sales have supplied nearly all of our reading material. Anything else we really want to read gets checked out or ILL from the library.

I just went yesterday...

I found Family Math, 3 Singapore HIG's and a tb, 5 VanCleave books, TOPS Radishes, an Italics handwriting practice book, Peter Pan & Hans Christian Anderson hardbacks illustrated by Micheal Hague :001_tt1:, several Usborne books, a nice hardcover Little Women, and dh found several theology books as well.

We are going to be keeping this used bookstore in business...:lol: I also found the Mardels...and am plotting some serious damage...I had never been in one of those stores before and didn't know how much homeschooling material they carry. I am in trouble.:auto:

We just found:

$1.99 Boggle, Jr.

$2.99 for Discovery Toys Busy Bugs (complete)

$1.99 for Discovery Toys Big Pegboard (though that was missing a peg),

$1.99 for some blue and red alphabet reading rods (At least one of every letter, multiples of some consonants and vowels... they'll add to the possibilities offered by the set we bought for super cheap at the ETA sale last year) packaged along with some spelling puzzle cards (10 double-sided four-letter words, all complete);

And then some "earning toys," which aren't education strictly-speaking, but contribute in that they provide incentives for him to do his readers (Funnix 2, 3rs Plus, etc.):

A Playmobil pirate treasure chest, sadly sans pirates, a bag of playmobil knights, horses, and carts, and a separate bag with a playmobil dragon and bad guy: about $11 total.

Incidentally, I was most excited about the bugs. We bought the farm animals a while back, and I almost instantly regretted it and wished we'd gotten the bugs instead. Now we have both! :)

Edited by eloquacious

Boys JEANS ! Four pair in my sons hard to find size (12 Slim) , with no holes or worn knees

This is really, really rare in my town. :D Usually all the knees are blown out.

We only have a goodwill, so they were still $5-6 per pair, but that is MUCH better than $12-20 per pair full price.

Edited by lcelmer

My dd has been enjoying living math books lately. I found so many good ones, but only came home with:

The Best of Times

Math Appeal

The Grapes of Math

Math for All Seasons

Millions to Measure

I also found a copy of Apologia Chemistry text in great condition.

I absolutely love used book stores and goodwills. It's like a treasure hunt. You never know what you're gonna find.

I did well at my Friends of the Library sale. I got:

Ancient Isrealites and their Neighbors $2

The Well Trained Mind, 2nd edition $1 !!

What Your 5th Grader Needs to Know .50

Pocketfuls of Pinecones .50

Conversational Latin .50

Pre Algebra for Dummies .50 (I think I may qualify)

World in a Drop of Water .50

Jacob Have I loved .50

and some on "tweens," one for her on growing into a teen and one for parents, .50 each.

I was pleased.

I L.O.V.E. thrift shopping! This week I scored Sets 1 -5 of BOB books for only 50 cents a set! My biggest success was buy 3 Japanese pottery dinner plates...I bought them because I liked them. Got home, looked up the name stamped on the bottom and found out they sold for $100 a piece!!!! I paid .25 :)

Landmark Alexander the Great 25 cents

Elements of Style for 25 cents

Zumdahl's Chemistry Study Guide 5th ed for 99 cents + 3.50 S&H (alibris)

Raven's and Burke's Biology Study Guide 4th ed 99 cents + 3.50 S+H (alibris)

Lots of books for history bought at a Library sale for $2.25!

I have swapped many books at Paperback swap too for my dd's great books course!

Free and near free are great blessings!

Gina

I picked up a Hardback copy with dustcover of In Search Of A Homeland by Penelope Lively from Savers for $0.69. It was in great shape, too. I suppose it was actually closer to $0.55, because I bought a bunch of books that day, they give you every 5th book free. I've picked up all sorts of books for our library that way- Cricket in Times Square, The Borrowers, Phantom Tollbooth, The Trumpet of the Swan, Swiss Family Robinson, Redwall, DK books, and more that I can't remember at the moment.

I remember going to the thrift stores at least once a week in high school, I just find it so difficult with 4 kids :( We also live in an area that doesn't have much.

But I do feel the urg to go now, lol.

:iagree:

It is impossible to dig through the stacks of books (poorly organized) with two kids screaming their heads off. My last find was "Drawing with Children" for $1.67.

This makes me really want to go and search though. I really need to find the BOB books!!

Went this weekend to thrift stores and used book stores. I was able to get:

-all the books needed for Elemental science Earth/Space (about $5 total)

-a book I have been searching for years Little Raccoon and No Trouble at All

-a long list of books from RSO book list for Earth/Space

-Write Your Own Story, a Dover color book with writing prompts, (13 cents)

-an old Reader, American Leaders, for elementary children that has notebooking ideas as well as activities and discussion questions about important people who shaped America (50 cents)

I found tons of Urborne books at a church charity sale once, mostly history and science and some readers (I paid less than $1 each). Later I found they must have been from a Sonlight curriculum user, and while I don't use Sonlight I appreciate the books. I think one of them is the DK Children Illustrated Encyclopedia which is out favourite source of information (right after the internet). All in all it is like having a mini-library at home! ;)

I am a hardcore thrifter! Today I found:

a discovery toys stencil/puzzle set for $1.50

a nice Melissa and Doug puzzle for $1

a telling time matching puzzle for $1

a microscope for $3

an aquarium perfect for the tadpoles we're getting next week for $10

a guitar I paid too much for for dd1 ($10), but she is loving it so it's worth it to me

and a constellation book I just added to my amazon wishlist last week for .25!

Edited by plath
fix spelling mistake

I am a hardcore thrifter! Today I found:

a discovery toys stencil/puzzle set for $1.50

Stencils!!!

a nice Melissa and Doug puzzle for $1

I'm a big fan of Melissa and Doug. So are my kids! :D

a telling time matching puzzle for $1

a microscope for $3

Very Cool!

an aquarium perfect for the tadpoles we're getting next week for $10

a guitar I paid to much for for dd1 ($10), but she is loving it so it's worth it to me

and a constellation book I just added to my amazon wishlist last week for .25!

Love it!

You did awesome!

I remember going to the thrift stores at least once a week in high school, I just find it so difficult with 4 kids :( We also live in an area that doesn't have much.

But I do feel the urg to go now, lol.

:iagree:Yes! I just started venturing out again to the thrift stores because it was hard to think my own thoughts and concentrate while looking through shelves and tables of books when I had my little ones around. It was not fun for anyone, including the clerk! I have a teenager now who can babysit a bit while I go to the Library thrift store once in a while. It is so nice!

A whole bunch of Highlights Top Secret Adventures country book at our library's bag sale-they were part of a grocery bag full that I paid $5 for. I also got Music Mind Games, Matin Latin, and Wheelock's Latin :), plus a bunch of literature books that I thought would be good for World history next year.

I got almost all of Core 6's readers/read-alouds for $30 today at our homeschool group's sale, CWP 6 for .50, and a bunch of other stuff.

In my bag of books from our library book sale ($2 for the brown grocery bag full of books), I was able to get a copy of Kingsley's Heroes that my ds is reading right now w/ AO.

It was published in 1885 and is in really nice condition (tight binding!). I was so excited! Also got a vintage math book from 1910. :D

Edited by Homemama2

Our local thrift store is awesome, I feel so lucky. I am always finding Melissa and Doug wooden toys and puzzles for under $2. Books are usually $0.50-$1. Most of our chapter and picture books have been purchased there. Recently I found a Hans Christian Anderson collection, a collection of Grimm & Anderson Tales, Tomi dePaola's Nursery Rhymes, and Pretend Soup. I LOVE finding the larger collection books.

I also found a praying mantis kit (unopened) for a buck. Last year we got egg cases and housed them in a large plastic container. It worked, but we released the mantises immediately after birth as the conditions wouldn't have been fit for live mantises. Now we'll be able to hold onto one for a few days and feed it, neat! In the past I've found microscopes and unused Science kits too.

It is impossible to dig through the stacks of books (poorly organized) with two kids screaming their heads off. My last find was "Drawing with Children" for $1.67.

This makes me really want to go and search though. I really need to find the BOB books!!

I know it's not nearly as thrifty as getting them at a thrift shop, but their facebook page says they are at Costco right now. We bought them last year and are SO happy with them! They are grouped by "collections" so the first collection is set 1 and half of set 2, etc. Anyway, they're $10 each, and are larger size books in a nice box.

I know it's not nearly as thrifty as getting them at a thrift shop, but their facebook page says they are at Costco right now. We bought them last year and are SO happy with them! They are grouped by "collections" so the first collection is set 1 and half of set 2, etc. Anyway, they're $10 each, and are larger size books in a nice box.

The Scholastic Book Clubs catalog has all the BOB books pretty cheaply, plus you get points and discounts on top of their price. Homeschoolers can sign up as a teacher - you do have to call the 1-800 line to get it approved though as a home educator.