Menu

Help me find peace as a SAHM without any submission stuff coming in?

I came across this quote the other day and it really struck me:

"A woman is capable of more sacrifices than a man. Man is more apt to be a hero, through some great passionate outburst of heroism. But a woman's love makes a thousand small sacrifices, sprinkling them through the days and the months; their very repetition gives them the character of the commonplace. Not only her soul, but her body, has some share in the Calvary of Redemption; furthermore, she comes closer to death than man, whenever she brings forth a child." Fulton J. Sheen, Life is Worth Living

"A woman is capable of more sacrifices than a man. Man is more apt to be a hero, through some great passionate outburst of heroism. But a woman's love makes a thousand small sacrifices, sprinkling them through the days and the months; their very repetition gives them the character of the commonplace. Not only her soul, but her body, has some share in the Calvary of Redemption; furthermore, she comes closer to death than man, whenever she brings forth a child." Fulton J. Sheen, Life is Worth Living

Bishop Sheen:001_wub:

My idea actually is that we both take correspondence courses one at a time now, to get started, but I don't think DH would appreciate it. I am not sure we are ready for all of that either... lots of words of men might come in there and we are avoiding those as much as we can right now.

I'll be praying for wisdom & peace for you. Lots of changes! :grouphug:

Isn't Bishop Sheen the best?

I don't believe being a sahm is about submission. I believe it's about partnership - and each partner has different duties to fulfill to best help the family/home be a smooth running operation. when our dh's don't have to worry so much about the home front because we are taking care of that - they can focus more on the "slaying the dragons" (as dh labels it.)

if you look at it as a business - in the corporate world, there are ceo's, cfo's, president, etc. and they all have different job descriptions so the work is divided up and the corporation can run.

and last, but certainly NOT least, my children are worth it to me to take care of them myself. (I grew up with a working mother and working grandmother, both were married and their husbands worked. Even my liberal sister stayed home with her kids.)

Praying for you during this time! :grouphug:

I have found in my life, that it is hard to make choices like this, when a person has been taught a certain way growing up. ( talking about personal experience here. )

It comes down to really chucking all that you have "learned" and really digging deep into what YOU truly believe, not your parents, grandparents, etc..

When I have doubted why I do something,...I always imagine myself explaining to God WHY I do it. I know it sounds silly, but I have truly found peace and liberty by doing this. Sometimes I change my view, sometimes it validates why I do a certain thing.

If I can't come up with a good reason, from the Bible, without twisting Scripture, than I praise God for my liberty and am guided by his Spirit.

I'm not sure how you grew up, or where you are coming from, but I grew up with a lot of rules, without reason. Very hard, and very oppressive. :(

I'm not sue if this will help you, but just remember your freedom in Christ, and how He wants you to have Joy! It took me a long time to grasp this, and I am still working on it;)

:grouphug:

Six pages into this I'm not sure I've got anything new to contribute, but I'll add my .02 anyway. :D

I don't buy into the submission stuff either. 'Nuff said. I do not find that line of thinking encouraging.

I stay home with the children because I choose to do so. This is my choice. I can (and have) gone to school. I can go to work. I can stay home. I have chosen to stay home. Why? I like being with my children. I think it's beneficial for children to have a stay at home parent. I like running my home -- organizing, decorating, meal planning and cooking, shuttling the kids to activities and appointments, etc. I want to do this full-time, so I do.

I am also in the position of watching my dh complete his education whilst mine has yet again been postponed due to baby #5. I know that I will get back to school eventually and I've always been really motivated to do so; perhaps that's why I'm not particularly envious at the moment. IDK. Again, I could be in school if I wanted to be. My dh would be supportive. I am choosing to be home with my infant rather than place her in child care.

I know the day-to-day can be mundane. I remind myself frequently that the days are long but the years are short (isn't that the saying?). They won't be small forever. I will finish school eventually. When they are grown and gone I don't want to regret time not spent with my children.

This is but a season in my life (and yours). There will be time for other things when these things are done, perhaps sooner, but we will never get these days back.

:grouphug:

Well I'm not into the whole submission mindset, but I'm a SAHM for the time being, after having been on my own with my own career for more than a decade. So I'm used to my independence. But in determining God's will, we pray about things together and try to determine what makes sense for us as a family. So it's all about "we." I try to take satisfaction in whatever stage of life or circumstance we are in, rather on worrying about what I'm "not" doing at any given time. Right now with the homeschooling I don't have a lot of time for the spiritual groups and book clubs I would do before. Yes I miss them, but this is the season where homeschooling is more important to us as a family. And I realize how all-to-brief this time will be. So I enjoy and focus on what I'm doing, not what I'm not doing or wish I were doing.

Holiness is offering the moment to God and living it well, not necessarily accomplishing grand things. (not that I'm holy, but I'm just offering the perspective I try to take myself) Submission gives me Patriarchy Hives, but I DO try to do God's will in any given moment, when I remember to!

All I ever wanted was to be successful, make money, and be a career mom. I really was okay with putting the kids in daycare all day. Then I had my 3rd kid and I was faced with 3 kids under 5. That was not happening. I was teaching and the cost of 2 kids in care plus the hassle was far less than I was able to make. I did the next best thing and we bought a daycare/preschool and I was able to have my kids with me. Then I had number 4 and I was just tired of the staff issues so we sold it right after I had number 5. I find being a SAHM really irritating some days. Then I look at them and realize I am lucky b/c so many people spend the majority of their days away from their kids missing all the great moments. We are closer and enjoy each other more(most days). I would seriously encourage one parent to be home if at all possible. I do not like my kids to be home alone-even the 16 year old.

I have a Master's degree. I am very much at peace with being a SAHM because I got entirely burned out with the career I had before staying home. I guess that's a different position to be in than if you had never had a career, don't know if that's the case with OP or not. I choose to stay home, and DH makes WAY more money than I could ever hope to make if I did go back to work. And my salary would barely cover child care, much less all the aggravation that comes with a working spouse. When the a/c breaks, I'm here to let the guy in instead of someone having to take off work. I can make bread from scratch. I have a huge garden and chickens. We don't have to spend all of Sat at Wal-Mart, because I can do the shopping in off times when everyone else is at work. I can drive the kids around to appts instead of having to keep up with a schedule of who can get off work early when. And I am also reminded of something in TWTM that Jessie Wise said: that your life is in seasons, that she had a bag of scraps in the attic that she planned to make into a rug when the kids were in school. The kids didn't go to school, so the scraps are still in the attic. Now that they are grown, she still has the scraps in the attic but she's been able to fulfill other goals (ie writing). I enjoy writing too, and obviously gardening, and I use the free time I have, even while hs, that I wouldn't have if I worked ft to follow those dreams and goals. Maybe you could read some books on your chosen field, or take one class during the summer or something.

All of that is true!

I find being a SAHM really irritating some days. Then I look at them and realize I am lucky b/c so many people spend the majority of their days away from their kids missing all the great moments. I do not like my kids to be home alone-even the 16 year old.

So true! I even go to most of my kids activities because I don't want to miss them!

Now I just have to realize that chores are included in the SAHM deal. :tongue_smilie:

I actually see my work as a mother at home as the most significant role in our family, and my husband's work outside the home as the supporting role--he goes out and earns a living for us so that the really important work can go on her at home. I don't see it as a matter of submission at all--we are equal partners engaged in an endeavor of infinite worth, that of building a family. As in any good partnership, we play somewhat different roles but each seeks to strengthen and support the other in their efforts to fill those roles and meet the needs of the entire family.

--Sarah

So true! I even go to most of my kids activities because I don't want to miss them!

Now I just have to realize that chores are included in the SAHM deal. :tongue_smilie:

Here is my favorite source of inspiration for all the repetitive and seemingly mundane aspects of mothering and running a home:

Matthew 25:31-46

New International Version (NIV)

The Sheep and the Goats

31 Ă¢â‚¬Å“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then the King will say to those on his right, Ă¢â‚¬ËœCome, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

37 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then the righteous will answer him, Ă¢â‚¬ËœLord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

40 Ă¢â‚¬Å“The King will reply, Ă¢â‚¬ËœTruly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

41 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then he will say to those on his left, Ă¢â‚¬ËœDepart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

44 Ă¢â‚¬Å“They also will answer, Ă¢â‚¬ËœLord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

45 Ă¢â‚¬Å“He will reply, Ă¢â‚¬ËœTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

46 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.Ă¢â‚¬

Know why I love this parable? Because it tells me that the work I do day in and day out is NOT mundane, but is of great eternal significance. I feed the hungry (and wash up the dishes too!), clothe the naked (just how many diapers have I changed? How many loads of laundry), administer to teh sick (yep, at 2:00 AM)...oh yeah, and I keep my kids OUT of prison by not sending them off to school (or am I the only one who felt like school was a prison sentence?)

What greater work is there?

--Sarah

:grouphug::grouphug:

I struggle with this often...and I am a sahm, and a wahm...and a homeschooling mom. I SHOULD be fulfilled...and I certainly have been getting an education schooling my kids....but still....I want the paper....I want the cert....I want the gold raised seal.....

Someday. And I would definitely, and have supported dh in school and through other trade schools.

Well, I'm not sure where biblical submission would come into play here, anyway. Biblical submission has been so twisted by man (and I mean that generically, not specifically the male gender) to serve his/her own purposed, in my humble opinion. I've heard everything from the "doormat" teaching of submission to just about everything else. I choose to stay at home to raise and TRAIN my children b/c well, they are my children. I don't LOVE every aspect of what goes along with it (the cleaning, cooking, laundry, sibling squabbles that I have to referee every blessed second of many a day, couponing, skimping, saving, sacrificing much of what I would LIKE to do for MYSELF (what is that anyway, lol?), etc. But I do find comfort in knowing it is what God wants me to do. My husband and I both completed college before marrying and were blessed in that way. In your situation, where your husband wants to go back to college...that would be something that we would talk and pray A LOT about. Would his degree enable you to stay at home at a later time? Meaning...would it be a few years sacrifice on your part to reap a bigger blessing (mainly financially) later on? Is it just something he wants to do to feel good about himself? I'm not saying that is wrong, but that is where a talk about priorities (yours, his, your family's, etc.) would come into play. Can he take online classes in the evening so that you wouldn't have to work to support him? Is going back to college something YOU want to do as well? The way I see my career as a SAHM and homeschooling mother is this: it is a season. It isn't forever. But it is what I am called to do right now. When my children are older and in college and then off and married, I can go back to school to get my master's degree if I want...(and I think I do). I don't need it right now. I have enough on my plate. I'm not sure I've helped any, but really do talk about this with dh and map out a "plan" and some goals for the future and how his getting his degree fits into those long-term plans. KWIM? :grouphug:

Here is my favorite source of inspiration for all the repetitive and seemingly mundane aspects of mothering and running a home:

Matthew 25:31-46

New International Version (NIV)

The Sheep and the Goats

31 Ă¢â‚¬Å“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then the King will say to those on his right, Ă¢â‚¬ËœCome, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

37 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then the righteous will answer him, Ă¢â‚¬ËœLord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

40 Ă¢â‚¬Å“The King will reply, Ă¢â‚¬ËœTruly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

41 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then he will say to those on his left, Ă¢â‚¬ËœDepart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

44 Ă¢â‚¬Å“They also will answer, Ă¢â‚¬ËœLord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

45 Ă¢â‚¬Å“He will reply, Ă¢â‚¬ËœTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

46 Ă¢â‚¬Å“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.Ă¢â‚¬

Know why I love this parable? Because it tells me that the work I do day in and day out is NOT mundane, but is of great eternal significance. I feed the hungry (and wash up the dishes too!), clothe the naked (just how many diapers have I changed? How many loads of laundry), administer to teh sick (yep, at 2:00 AM)...oh yeah, and I keep my kids OUT of prison by not sending them off to school (or am I the only one who felt like school was a prison sentence?)

What greater work is there?

--Sarah

Wow, what a great post. I think I'm going to print and keep this for the rough days. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Read the book Radical Houswives. NOT christian based, NOT about submission, but about finding peace at home.

You mean Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture?

*awesome* book. It definitely gave me the ability to *allow* myself (against the thought of popular culture) to be a SAHM. I always questioned myself, but instinctually knew that I was making the right choice (for me). This book shut the yapping of those other voices that said popular culture had it all right. I felt fully vindicated in my choices with so many things, from STAYING home, to canning, to growing food, to mending clothes, to trying live with more quality and less quantity and all those things that made my choices-including staying home add to the value and bottom line of our home.

Edited by justamouse

I think part of my question here is if mom and dad can be a missionary or pastor and the kids not lose out.

Have not finished reading, but wanted to touch on this from an outside view. I have an Uncle and Aunt, both are ordained ministers, they have raised three children. He initially went and became an ordained minister, as the children were growing she went to school and was ordained as well. They have spent time in various churches, both as the Pastor, and as Interim Pastors. They also have traveled on missions (a year in Haiti, for example). Their children are amazing. Beautiful, intelligent, well-rounded, successful, christian people. Two of them have followed in their parents footsteps and gone into ministry in various capacities, the one that didn't is instead working towards woman's rights in Ghana. So, long answer short, it seems that both parents can be involved in ministry without the kids losing out. Of course, I don't have their perspective, but I suspect that if I asked, they would not change a thing.

Thinking about the why behing my SAHM and homeschooling has really helped. Also thinking on the practical of why DH should complete college first. Of course he should go first, it only makes sense.

The kids had a rough day today. Both of them had several melt-downs, probably because I have upped our schooling standards to get us ready for next year...

but I did not. I have not been cranky, yelling, hiding, any of my usual selfish tendencies. I think it has to do with all of the prayers for me due to this thread. :grouphug: Thank you sisters!

I haven't read the other replies, but you would probably enjoy and benefit from reading Edith Schaeffer's book What is a Family? She discusses the importance of family life from a Christian perspective, but 'submission' isn't really a theme at all (in fact, in the Economic Unit chapter she notes that when hard times fall on families, mother/wife may have a skill that she can utilize while father takes care of the household!). It is a fabulous, well-rounded, inspirational, and PRACTICAL book that gets right to the heart of not just housekeeping but family life in general. (Her book The HIdden Art of Homemaking is absolutely wonderful too, but I love What is a Family? for its focus on family life as a whole--as an Economic unit, shelter in the time of storm, birthplace of creativity, etc).

The most inspiring book on family life I've ever read, for sure.

Another lovely book on keeping home is just that--Keeping House: A Litany of Everyday Life by Margaret Kim Peterson. She is a theologian who wrote a wonderful little book on the whys of making home life healthy and functioning. And she's also not interested in submission. :)

Read those two books and I think you will approach keeping house with fresh vigor. I do--and I often delve in for refreshers when I feel the need!!

HTH!!!!

Thank you so much. I will look at those books, and the one by Sally Clarkson. The kids had another rough day. They are stressed out about a neighbor bullying them and having some pre-party stress. (5th birthday saturday) but I am somehow not stressing out and yelling at them, so something is certainly working. I told my husband that and he thinks it is his prayers for me. :001_wub: I also started doing the One Year Bible again. A daily dose of Psalms helps so much.

We are behind, but I am just calculating how we can do better tomorrow instead of despairing. :)

Oh I am glad someone mentioned Sally! I thought of that but then didn't. Her book, the mission of motherhood, is one of my all-time favorites and a real paradigm-shifter! You will be inspired! I give this to people all the time--just mailed it to another friend yesterday....it is that good.

Oh I am glad someone mentioned Sally! I thought of that but then didn't. Her book, the mission of motherhood, is one of my all-time favorites and a real paradigm-shifter! You will be inspired! I give this to people all the time--just mailed it to another friend yesterday....it is that good.

You would recommend this over her other books?

I want to know that I am doing what God wants without it being because someone thinks that all women should. okay, Does that make sense?

I don't think God had the idea that all women should be home and be homemakers. There are examples all through the bible of women in leadership positions and business women. Deborah wasn't a meek, submissive woman. Lydia is held up as an example to follow. The Proverbs woman was hardly submissive in the sense that is the word is used today.

I think the point is being comfortable that you ARE where God wants you to be. If that's at home - great. If it's out in the business world - great. God doesn't have a 'one size fits all' plan that you have to follow in order to be a good Christian.

I went to a ladies conference with my church and it went really well, I picked up a book by Elizabeth George called "A Mom after God's own heart" I was enjoying that so looked at her other books, and it looks like her submission ideas make me question anything from her now.

I want something to motivate me as a SAHM who does the chores around the house.

I also might be working to put DH through college (my first reaction to the idea is jealousy) and I want to know that sacrificing for my husband is a good thing to do without any submission reasons, because we don't buy that, necessarily... we are starting from square one and want to know God's will for my life not based on the idea that a woman's role is this due to patriarchial type indoctrination of denominations, churches, society, and then someone with that indoctrination pulling scriptures out that support that preconceived view, but rather really know God's thoughts on the matter.

I want to know that I am doing what God wants without it being because someone thinks that all women should.

:grouphug: If you want controversy feel free to start a S/O thread. This thread is about ME. hahaha see how self-sacrificing I am?

For me, I would be incredibly bitter about the idea of working away from my kids - my favorite people in the world, giving the best years of my life (oh, the hyperbole :nopity:) to people who will not even know my name in 20 years.

I am not motivated to do chores around the house. Not at all! :001_huh: I do it b/c it must be done.

I do believe in my dh, and want to support his career. There are so many little things I can do, being home. There are so many ways I can foster dh's relationship with the kids since I'm HSing. (How many dads get to play word analogy games with their kids on lunch break?;)) Supporting his career, supports mine. I have an eye towards finishing my Master's and that support has to go both ways...we just decided early that it made more sense for us for him to finish school first and support the family after that.

I also love my kids more than I love any career I could imagine. I'm young, and a decade+ away from having independent young adults who call me "Mom." I can have it all. I *choose* home now, career later....I'll have a good 20 years between my youngest graduating high school and my reaching retirement age.

That said, when my kids are grown I will probably pray for grandbabies to HS.:tongue_smilie: Either that, or I'll move to IL so I can work at Rainbow Resource.:lol:

I haven't read this thread's pages, but I want to chime in!

I think it's a cool thing to consider the Christian issue of submission (a dear friend does this, but not me) and to consider the feminist way of looking at things. . . and then come to your own conclusion about what's right for your family.

Personally, I get down to the nub of things: I want things to be "right" for my kids. So I'll have conflict w/ dh when I think it's important, but I let plenty of small things fly by. . . because I don't want my kids raised in a home w/ lots of fighting.

If ultimately helping your dh through college is important for the family as a whole, I vote "yes," but even so. . . there have been too many stories of husband's getting degrees and "moving on" from the wife one day. (I'm old enough to have heard about it and seen it.) So do what you think is necessary to protect yourself ie. know your finances inside and out etc. etc.

I don't mean to be all over the map. . . I just think getting to the root of what's most important to you/the family is key.

And I live by this quote: "Homemaker is the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only -- to support the ultimate career!"

C.S. Lewis

Alley

Being keeper of the hearth is a divine task, not a submissive one. Check out Hestia - the incarnation of women's wisdom, love, peace, and beauty (at least to me). I hate the submissive/helpmeet/other ideas and feel they are unnecessary to my idea of a beautiful life.

I am not currently a SAHM - or rather, I am but I also work from home. I feel cut off from my goddess-y hearth-keeper side, because I feel like it's such a powerful, beautiful position. Being a worker isn't quite so divine - does that make sense?

I don't think God had the idea that all women should be home and be homemakers. There are examples all through the bible of women in leadership positions and business women. Deborah wasn't a meek, submissive woman. Lydia is held up as an example to follow. The Proverbs woman was hardly submissive in the sense that is the word is used today.

I think the point is being comfortable that YOU ARE where God wants you to be. If that's at home - great. If it's out in the business world - great. God doesn't have a 'one size fits all' plan that you have to follow in order to be a good Christian.

Exactly. So books that are written with the idea that all women should be where I am don't really help, because I don't necessarily buy it. :D

Of course I know that chores need to get done. My problem is that it takes me much much longer to get them done than it takes the average person plus it always looks as if I haven't done them... it all gets destroyed so quickly. If I make it a priority to keep up on the house then I end up not spending time with anyone and being grouchy with them.

Personally, I get down to the nub of things: I want things to be "right" for my kids.
I think that is my biggest issue because I never get a break from my kids and then I am not a quality mom, I am a quantity mom. Could I be a quality mom if I didn't homeschool? Can I be the quality mom and homeschool if I just find more peace with my place? I think so... these last few days I have been great for no apparent reason. lol Edited by Lovedtodeath