Menu

Just read The Read Aloud Handbook. WOW!

MouseBandit

Just finished the Read Aloud Handbook. After all these years as a bookworm, I still had NO IDEA. I am just in stunned silence. Obviously have to order the newest edition to have and to hold until death do us part. My kids daily "diet" already got an overhaul after I finished the first couple of chapters.

Does this book hit everyone this way?? Have I had my head under a rock all these years to not have known how HUGELY important this was?

Gotta go get some ice cream and sit and digest it all. Tomorrow morning - hitting the library webpage to revamp my reserve list a little!

Tracey in Oregon

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the Read Aloud Handbook. After all these years as a bookworm, I still had NO IDEA. I am just in stunned silence. Obviously have to order the newest edition to have and to hold until death do us part. My kids daily "diet" already got an overhaul after I finished the first couple of chapters.

Does this book hit everyone this way?? Have I had my head under a rock all these years to not have known how HUGELY important this was?

Gotta go get some ice cream and sit and digest it all. Tomorrow morning - hitting the library webpage to revamp my reserve list a little!

Tracey in Oregon

Alright, after reading your post .... I'll think I need to read this book.

(I have Trelease's Hey! Listen to This book, but have never read the one you mention)

I'm in the middle of reading it right now. I read it a long time ago, but it is nice to read it again now that I have kids. :D

Basically it shows how reading aloud is extremely important. It also talks about having time during the school day for kids to read independently. I really need to get that into our schedule.

The importance of reading aloud to your children - from birth all the way through teenage years. The statistics and stories that he presents are SO POWERFUL. The changes it can make, that it DOES make, just blew my mind, and I am a big time advocate already of reading to kids. Stories like a little girl who had to stay in the NICU because of problems, and her parents decided to give her a "diet" of 10 books a day - even when they had to get the NICU nurses to play audio tapes to make it happen. They continued that every single day, as she grew up, and now she is doing awesome as a freshman, in honors classes, 4.0. Oh, and she has severe downs' syndrome, they were told she were would be blind and deaf, and should consider institutionalizing her. Just INCREDIBLE. THere is story, after story, after story like that.

And even the statistics are moving and powerful. There's just no un-hearing them, once you see them and make that connection that YES - it MUST have been the reading at home that tipped the scales, maybe that made ALL the difference.

Once all this hits you and sinks in, there's not going to be any way to get it back out of your head. Even if you don't run out and start reading 20 books every day to your kids, it will still be there in your mind, you will still be thinking about it, and I am willing to bet that parents who have read this book, and digested it, will read a LOT more to their children than parents who haven't - just because it impacted them and convicted them and it will be brought to their mind more often.

Anyway, for me, this is one of the most important books I've possibly ever read. :-)

Tracey in Oregon

The importance of reading aloud to your children - from birth all the way through teenage years. The statistics and stories that he presents are SO POWERFUL. The changes it can make, that it DOES make, just blew my mind, and I am a big time advocate already of reading to kids. Stories like a little girl who had to stay in the NICU because of problems, and her parents decided to give her a "diet" of 10 books a day - even when they had to get the NICU nurses to play audio tapes to make it happen. They continued that every single day, as she grew up, and now she is doing awesome as a freshman, in honors classes, 4.0. Oh, and she has severe downs' syndrome, they were told she were would be blind and deaf, and should consider institutionalizing her. Just INCREDIBLE. THere is story, after story, after story like that.

And even the statistics are moving and powerful. There's just no un-hearing them, once you see them and make that connection that YES - it MUST have been the reading at home that tipped the scales, maybe that made ALL the difference.

Once all this hits you and sinks in, there's not going to be any way to get it back out of your head. Even if you don't run out and start reading 20 books every day to your kids, it will still be there in your mind, you will still be thinking about it, and I am willing to bet that parents who have read this book, and digested it, will read a LOT more to their children than parents who haven't - just because it impacted them and convicted them and it will be brought to their mind more often.

Anyway, for me, this is one of the most important books I've possibly ever read. :-)

Tracey in Oregon

Our librarian recommended this book to me when my kids were preschool age. I found it life-changing as well. Up until that point, I had grabbed whatever crappy books I could find on the library shelves -- Dora, Blues Clues, whatever -- and while I wanted to read to my kids, I did not enjoy it. Once I began using the book recommendations Trelease gives, I really began enjoying reading to my children and I felt like there was a purpose to it as well. He is very inspirational. I think I'll have to pull my copy out and read it again. Reading that book is also what set me on our path with SL, which has always kept a part of our homeschool day engaging and fun.

I give this book to new moms as well. My SIL has totally embraced it and it's nice that this is something we share in common.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I have always wanted to ask the author, "Why 20 minutes? why not 30 or 25 or so other number why 20?" I have trouble reading the book because he doesn't give any research on the number 20 minutes and yet he keeps saying 20 minutes at least. Then for the most part if I remember correctly from the older edition I read all or almost all his examples talk about people who read more than 20 minutes a day.

(This from the family who tops out at about 4 hours of read alouds a day - so the 20 minute number has no effect on us. But when I get a idea or question stuck in my head it sometimes wouldn't get unstuck)

I bought the book and then spent an entire summer combining all of his read aloud lists by grade. Now I have read aloud books planned out from preschool through 8th grade. It took forever, but it is sooooo worth it! :001_smile:

That is awesome! I just got my 6th ed. copy ordered and went and put some of the books on his lists on my request list for the library.

Tracey

I bought the book and then spent an entire summer combining all of his read aloud lists by grade. Now I have read aloud books planned out from preschool through 8th grade. It took forever, but it is sooooo worth it! :001_smile:

I thought I was the only one! I use three books to plan our read -alouds/lit studies. Jim Trelease, Books Kids will Sit Still For, and Books to Build On.

I have a friend who has done some of the gutter book shelving and I have been wanting to revamp how we store/display books for so long. Maybe a summer project. And I have always loved the idea of reading out loud at all ages. The benefits can't be touched. The vocabulary, grammar, phonics/reading skills, as well as just the love that a child feels when listening/talking about a book with mom and dad are enough.

I also love the DEAR (drop everything and read) time. We have several times during the day when everyone needs to be quietly looking/reading a book.

I thought I was the only one! I use three books to plan our read -alouds/lit studies. Jim Trelease, Books Kids will Sit Still For, and Books to Build On.

I have a friend who has done some of the gutter book shelving and I have been wanting to revamp how we store/display books for so long. Maybe a summer project. And I have always loved the idea of reading out loud at all ages. The benefits can't be touched. The vocabulary, grammar, phonics/reading skills, as well as just the love that a child feels when listening/talking about a book with mom and dad are enough.

I also love the DEAR (drop everything and read) time. We have several times during the day when everyone needs to be quietly looking/reading a book.

I personally didn't like the rain gutter book shelving. Instead I made (okay my Dad made and I helped) floor board book shelving. Things wouldn't get lost in the gutter. You can also put books facing with the spines out in case you have to. The ridge in the middle of the floor board is perfect for holding books facing out. My boys also liked using one shelve as a road to line up two cars.

Here are some pictures.

DSC03019.JPG

DSC03020.JPG

DSC03025.JPG

DSC03024.JPG

I had the same experience. I am a voracious reader, but this book was something different altogether. I'm actually re-reading it again right now and posting about each chapter on my blog, in case anyone wants the Cliffs Notes before purchasing the whole book. :)

Rereading and Reviewing The Read-Aloud Handbook

Stories like a little girl who had to stay in the NICU because of problems, and her parents decided to give her a "diet" of 10 books a day - even when they had to get the NICU nurses to play audio tapes to make it happen. They continued that every single day, as she grew up, and now she is doing awesome as a freshman, in honors classes, 4.0. Oh, and she has severe downs' syndrome, they were told she were would be blind and deaf, and should consider institutionalizing her. Just INCREDIBLE. THere is story, after story, after story like that.

A longer version of this story can be found in Cushla and Her Books by Dorothy Butler. Dorothy was a New Zealand children's bookstore owner, and Cushla isher granddaughter. The story of Cushla's development was originally Dorothy's graduate thesis, and it was turned into a book. I've been meaning to read it for ages, because I am passionate about two other wonderful books by Dorothy Butler: Babies Need Books and Five to Eight. She suggests specific books for specific developmental stages in these books, and even though many of her recommendations are out-of-print now, or were only ever really available from British publishers, I find them both enchanting and excellent.

Edited by kubiac

When dd was 2 or under, Jim Trelease spoke in my hometown. We already had the book and were regularly reading aloud to dd at that point, so it just confirmed what we were doing. I'm so glad that we had that opportunity. It was really cool to hear his stories.

I just put Read Aloud Handbook in my cart at Amazon for a friend who just had her 1st baby. : )

We've always read to our children - from birth. Don't know why, but just wanted to. Since then what we've done has been reaffirmed from many angles. :001_smile: That's probably partly why we ended up home educating our children.

Smart idea!

Lisa

I love that book, and Honey for a Child's Heart! Gladys Hunt also wrote Read for Your Life (for teens...I have that one) and Honey for a Teen's Heart, which I have not read. I don't know how that one differs from Read for Your Life.

We've always read to our kids, and we love it. I made a point to read to any little nap takers right before nap time. Usually I snuggled in bed with them. I read to the olders right before lunch for years and years. Now with just two (6th grade and 10th grade) read aloud time varies. I recently read them Helen Keller's autobiography, which was a quick read but fascinating. Then I read Tuck Everlasting to my 6th grader. It gave us much to ponder.

Tracey in Oregon

That's the same reaction I had when I read this book. Actually, I think it's time to read it again... :001_smile:

We've read aloud to our kids from baby days on (they are 13 & 15 and we all still love our RA time! I really hope it's a tradition we can continue throughout highschool, we'll see...)

I haven't read Trelease's book (I should!) but benefits I've seen:

family togetherness

shared stories/experiences

vocabulary

discussions about life

great way to discuss character issues, tough issues, etc...

quality language for our kids ears!

stretches the imagination

quality characters and traits to emulate--and mistakes to sympathize with and avoid when possible

laugh and cry together (mostly only I cry, but they like that I'm such a sap!).

develop a love for books

Our kids hear so many voices in their lives, so many calls on their time, desires, appetites in this world...let them hear the beckoning voice to virtue, strength, purity, heroism, love, manhood, womanhood, adventure, and all that is good--in the tones of their loving father and mother.

If I did nothing else in homeschooling my kids, I would read aloud to them. I have powerful memories of my mother reading to me, and of my father reading to me, and these are treasured memories. I consider it one of the greatest gifts of homeschooling that we have been able to read aloud for so long.

Merry :-)

I am going to get the book from the library. Will I be able to make this list that you are talking about? Or, are you willing to share? Do these lists of his exist in many places, like multiple different lists? Sorry for all the questions, but this is EXACTLY what I have been trying to find!

I am going to get the book from the library. Will I be able to make this list that you are talking about? Or, are you willing to share? Do these lists of his exist in many places, like multiple different lists? Sorry for all the questions, but this is EXACTLY what I have been trying to find!

I can't find my copy right now, but if I'm remembering correctly in the last half of the book he gives titles of books to read aloud. Then he gives an age span that said book would be appropriate to listen to. I used his suggestions and the youngest age span listed on the age range. Then I created lists in Word, divided them up by age, (preschool read aloud list, kindergarten read aloud list, etc.) and saved them. I print out the appropriate list for each of my children at the beginning of the year, then use that to request books from the library each week or through ILL.

So far all of the selections have been stellar. There are quite a few classics on the lists as well. We have read books that I normally wouldn't have picked but my children and I have enjoyed. I still add books to the lists that I run across from people recommending on here as well.

As far as I know, there is not a list floating around like it. I actually don't know if it would be legal for me to share it since the recommendations (but not the list I made) are in the book (copyright violation :confused:). I've already had one person ask for them and I'm holding off on it until I find out the answer. If it turns out that it's okay, then I would gladly share with you. :001_smile:

HTH.

Chelli - that is a great idea if you can share! May I be added to your list in the event you can share?

I'm so glad everyone else found this book so amazing, too! And I'm so thankful for all the pictures of the schoolrooms that included the gutters and gave this book as the inspiration for that! Otherwise, I might have not even found it!

Tracey in Oregon

Do you know he has a website?

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/

I posted this poem in our blog (quoted in his book) when I read The Read Aloud handbook a few years ago:

The Reading Mother

I had a mother who read to me

Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.

Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;

"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays

Of ancient and gallant and golden days;

Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,

Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales

Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,

True to his trust till his tragic death,

Faithfulness lent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things

That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-

Stories that stir with an upward touch.

Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be --

I had a Mother who read to me.

By Strickland Gillilan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strickland_Gillilan

I also really enjoyed the author profile he wrote on Beverly Cleary:

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/cleary.html

At the time, when I read his book, I was reading Beverly Cleary's books to Adrian. He is now anxiously awaiting The Mouse and the Motorcycle to read himself :). Mr. Trelease has been an inspiration to me in so many ways! When I read his book, I had borrowed it from the library. Soon after, I bought my own :).

One of the best resources!

I had the privilege of seeing jim trelease speak back in 2002, when i only had one baby. I was attending a teacher's conference and remember wishing that the parents of all my students were there. I highly recommended his book to them and had wanted to buy them all copies, but couldn't at the time. So powerful.

Like a previous poster mentioned, i also frequently give his book as a gift to new moms.

If you like the idea of outward-facing shelves, but not so much the idea of rain gutters, Ikea sells "picture rails" in their frame department. They're designed to stand framed pictures on, but they work perfectly as gutter shelves! They're not too expensive, either.

Oh my! Thank you for posting about these! I had never seen them before!

Oh my! Thank you for posting about these! I had never seen them before!

No problem! You can see them here.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30152596/

I think they also come in white, and maybe in a natural wood shade.

Our space is weird, so we didn't have room to use a whole picture ledge. We bought some Ikea spice racks to use instead. This is not our blog, but these are the spice racks we used: http://www.wonderfuljoyahead.com/2011/08/and-what-got-painted-were-drumroll.html

So....the book is about more than just reading to your children and the importance of doing so, right?

I haven't read it, but from reading this thread, I understand that the book is about reading quality material to your children? And he has recommended book lists?

Reading out loud has been a struggle...just finding the time to do so. I try to read a story before they go to bed...but honestly, by that time of the night, I'm ready for them to just go to bed, kwim?

So....the book is about more than just reading to your children and the importance of doing so, right?

I haven't read it, but from reading this thread, I understand that the book is about reading quality material to your children? And he has recommended book lists?

Reading out loud has been a struggle...just finding the time to do so. I try to read a story before they go to bed...but honestly, by that time of the night, I'm ready for them to just go to bed, kwim?

In addition to wonderfully organized lists, he explains the ease of transitioning into longer, more involved novels with young children. Reading more advanced books than the typical picture books that most parents read aloud is discussed in case study format.

Edited by Coffeemama
Clarify

Gee I can't imagine WHY you would be so tired!! Wow you definitely have lovely family there with lots of energy I bet LOL. The easiest thing, maybe, is have 15 mins put in during school for reading to them...or however long they can sit still. Even if you can't do it at bedtime, if you can do it during school lessons you've still been able to read to them. The books have great suggestions for good books...get something good that fits their attention spans. Before Five In A Row has some great books as well, or any in the FIAR series....you don't have to get the guides, just look at the books listed.

Gee I can't imagine WHY you would be so tired!! Wow you definitely have lovely family there with lots of energy I bet LOL. The easiest thing, maybe, is have 15 mins put in during school for reading to them...or however long they can sit still. Even if you can't do it at bedtime, if you can do it during school lessons you've still been able to read to them. The books have great suggestions for good books...get something good that fits their attention spans. Before Five In A Row has some great books as well, or any in the FIAR series....you don't have to get the guides, just look at the books listed.

I know, right??? LOL, I posted this on a different thread, but by bedtime, all I want to do is :auto: and never come back!

They are good kids though...it's not their fault that all of them are in the same developmental stage of needing mommy's attention all at the same time.

I actually do have FIAR sitting on my shelf. I need to pull it out and start using it. I have spent most of the last few months just trying to get on a good schedule. We were getting there, but then DH broke his leg and that completely upset the apple cart. We'll get there. In the meantime, I try to read a picture book each night.

Oh man, I wish I could read during breakfast and/or lunch. Usually during those timeframes, I'm running around to get stuff put together for lessons, etc. A lot of this will be easier when we finally get our classroom put together and our shelving up. Right now, everything is everywhere and we are more or less in chaos. Not ideal, but with DH's broken leg, it's kind of where we're stuck at for this year.

1) Isn't there some other homeschooling proponent out there who recommends much more than 20min a day? Can't remember who.

2) Does he feel it has to be mom or dad? I read aloud to the 7 yr old every day, but off and on with the 9 year old and almost never with the oldest these days. BUT we listen to audio books in the car nearly every day. We've finished 4 Little House books in 3 months this way plus other assorted stuff. We probably average over half an hour a day of audio books.

Brownie

Stories like a little girl who had to stay in the NICU because of problems, and her parents decided to give her a "diet" of 10 books a day - even when they had to get the NICU nurses to play audio tapes to make it happen. They continued that every single day, as she grew up, and now she is doing awesome as a freshman, in honors classes, 4.0. Oh, and she has severe downs' syndrome, they were told she were would be blind and deaf, and should consider institutionalizing her. Just INCREDIBLE.
Not as profound as that, but you mentioning the NICU story brought back such warm memories.

My DS was in NICU for a month at birth. I struggled trying to relax enough to pump. Looking at pictures of my son, which is what everyone suggested, stressed me out to no end. Finally someone suggested I read something I enjoyed, so I started reading the Plants Delight catalog. If you are familiar with it, it is an adventure.

Meanwhile, I had stacks of books I had bought for my unborn child, but they were sitting at home and he was stuck in NICU. I was finally allowed to hold him for more than an few minutes at a time and the nurse suggested I start reading to him. I didn't have any of 'his' books with me, so I pulled out the Plants Delight catalog and started reading.

I read that entire catalog to him over the next few weeks! :lol:

I love that Trelease book, but it has been a few years since I have read it. I will need to re-read it now.