Menu

What great discoveries have you made?

All About Spelling - (just started, but can already see results, and have that "intuition" that it is a perfect fit).

Everything else we use is already reviewed/recommended in WTM.

I would love to see a review from you regarding AAS....although.... I must say.... I believe it's keeper for us-- even if we have to "go against" a SWB rec! :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honey for a Teen's Heart This has been a terrific tool for adding to my kids' free-reading pile. This might be tough to recommend to hsers though. She does describe each book with a short blurb, but not all titles would be "safe" for all homeschoolers. I think my definition of "safe" is a bit different than some. So like all things, mileage may vary.

Wonderful!! I just put this on my wishlist at amazon.ca! I have Honey For A Child's Heart, and didn't know there was a teen one. Thanks!

So conference season has begun again, which means I'm wandering around vendor booths after I speak, trying to figure out if there's anything new around that's worth recommending. I have to say that I haven't yet seen new stuff which makes me want to change my recommendations.

So I'm wondering. What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? I'm not looking for brand new programs here--I'm wondering which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

There was one more thing I forgot to mention.

We really, really like the YWAM Publishing biography books. There are biographies for all ages, and I have seen many people mention on these boards, the series that I call the "brown biographies" - Christian Heroes: Then and Now. These are for ages 10 and up, although my ds began reading them at age 8. Then, there is a younger series, based on the Christian Heroes, for younger kids. There are timelines and lesson plans available, too (we don't use them, but just in case anyone is interested...). And for older kids and adults, there is the "International Adventures" series. Lots and lots of biographies to choose from in these three sets of bios from YWAM Publishing! I like them because the bio. lists just add to the bio. lists in the WTM book, instead of overlap.

All About Spelling and Teaching Textbooks...

All About Spelling has not only *greatly* improved my 10 1/2yo dyslexic son's spelling, it has also helped his reading improve.

My 14yo son struggles with math (still on a 6th grade level), but Teaching Textbooks has been WONDERFUL for him. He is still in the 6th grade book, BUT he consistantly makes 90% and above on his lessons and tests using Teaching Textbooks. He has regained his confidence in math again and actually *enjoys* his math time each day.

ALot of what we use I found before I found WTM but they were all things recommended, go figure. HOwever there have been a couple things I use not listed in the book that I think are awesome.

For Canadian geography I really like "Our home and Native Land" the kids really enjoy this

Actually one book we stumbled across on bookcloseouts was called "Plotting Points", the kids beg for me to copy pages out of this book for them. It helps them learn to plot points on a grid, and in doing so they create a picture. This book was seasonally themed, but I am sure if you look hard enough there is other themes to be had. It was a fun way to teach this map reading skill.

For MOdern Languages at an early age I really like the ecoutez parlez books for french and the spanish program put out by the same company. They provide a simple, way to learn these langauges orally with no writing which was wonderful for my kids. I just wanted to introduce the languages at this age and not have them bogged down by having to read and write it before they were ready.

I also had a Eureka moment about a store. Home Science Tools is one of my all time favorite stores, I buy so much stuff there to explore and learn about science, from model kits, to entymology displays, to creatures for dissection and on and on. I love love love this store for supplemental science projects.

COming into grade 5 I am going to be introducing new things so hopefully I have those moments with them next year.

I have to say that Tapestry of Grace has been a godsend here. It really solves the large family issue. I can still use SOTW for my younger children because it is scheduled in, and use age appropriate books for my older children. Many of these books are actually recommended in the WTM. So, it is very, very nice!

Jen

After struggling with various math programs over the years Teaching Textbooks has been a huge success this year in our homeschool. My dd used to have a terrible attitude when it was time for math. This year it was the first thing she did in the morning followed by Latin. Her standardized test scores in math were great this year as well!

Kelly, Mom to my three jewels

Dd 12

Ds 6

Dd 2

The Well-Trained Mind saved my homeschooling (that's the truth!).

We also love:

MathUSee (I cannot say enough good things about this program)

Latina Christiana (I know Lively Latin is popular now and I've tried both and LC worked for us. We are now moving into Henle)

IEW theme-based lessons!!!!

Phonetic Zoo Spelling

Easy Grammar

Story of the World (all 4 volumes on CD)

A Child's Geography (vol. 2 Explore the Holy Lands)

Here's my finds:

Curriculum that succeded where the special ed tutors failed:

Addition and Multiplication the Fun Way

Sequential Spelling

Sentence Composing for Elementary School

Other good curriculum:

Chalk Dust Math

Life of Fred

CPO Middle School Science - much better than PH Science Explorers because it teaches the basics first and has a better layout. (and now I'll go hide)

The Story of the World series: My sons both love this series. My oldest loves it the best. You cannot tell him anything is better. He just loves, loves this book. He tells people all about history. He even got the final Jepordy question correct because of Story of the World.

We cannot get enough of it.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:)

:iagree: All About Spelling & Headsprout, definately! We have just started AAS and I have already seen improvement in her reading simply because we are working on all the sounds the letters can make. She's not getting stuck trying to fit one sound in a word. Also, we tried OPGTR with ETC, ABEKA little books, Phonics Pathways, R & S... but nothing seemed to work and she hated our phonics sessions until we tried Headsprout. We're working on getting her tested for LDs but these 2 have really, really helped more than anything else.

R&S Math and English up to 8th grade, is my favorite. It is easy to use and very through. Lial's BCM has been a life saver (for my dd who had been doing Saxon, instead of R&S. I will never use Saxon again!:))

I like Imitations in Writing. For my younger ones (under 6th grade), this is a great writing program. My kids do copywork every morning and Imitations in Writing 2 to 3 times a week. (We also do 1 written narration a week, but that doesn't need a writing program).

I have always liked IEW, but I haven't used it as a stand alone for a number of years. The themed writing makes it easy to use.

My only other great discovery has been AO. I really like the slowed down pace of the reading without giving up good books.

I forgot to add Artistic Pursuits! It is a great Art program. It does lack in art instruction, but we have used Drawing with Children.

Believe it or not, as a textbook, it doesn't read bad at all. And it has perhaps the best weave/ coverage of Church history that I"ve seen in a history textbook. I do Classical, like many here, but I'll certainly keep this old, used CLE textbook to read and re-read to my girl, even if it is only a supplement to my reg curriculum. My 2 cents.

BTW, they're in the process of re-writing it, adding colored images, updating, etc. I asked if they were keeping in the Scripture and Church history and they said yes, thank God. :) I hope it is even better than the older version. Fingers crossed...

Oh, and at least the older version reads much better, IMHO, than R & S's version of history.

My one true "Eureka Moment" was via RightStart Math. I know that it is not currently K-12, and it is pricey, but I don't think I have spent money on a better resource. It guides students into understanding concepts, rather than teaching, and it has helped my math skills too!

Getting Started is a great, cheap text (if it could be called that) for late elementary\middle school age kids, with simple straightforward presentation of grammar and vocabulary. Highly recommended!

Also All About Spelling, which has worked wonders for my nonspelling ds. It clearly and carefully, in a multisensory way, presents the phonograms, and then proceeds to teach the spelling rules of the English language.

RightStart has done well for three of my kids so far (entering 5th, 2nd, and pre-K).

My oldest son really disliked Spelling Workout, to the point of tears (and he's very strong in language arts). Now, he gets excited when it is time for spelling. I think being able to place him at the proper level was the key.

Latin Prep is the only Latin program we've tried, but it has been a success. My oldest enjoys the author's sense of humor. I'm re-learning Latin too (I had a couple of years of Latin in high school), and I think it is a good program.

All About Spelling is the best and easiest to use spelling program I have seen. My oldest is about the same age as yours, Susan, so I have seen a lot of spelling programs. I wish AAS had been out when teaching my second son spelling. I am in level 3 right now with my 9yos and it not only has him spelling well, but it has also helped this struggling reader decipher words via syllables. I cannot recommend it enough.

For my high schooler, I used two different Teaching Co. lectures this year. He watched the DVD lectures for Ancient History and listened to the audio lectures for The Illiad. Students can practice note taking skills while listening to college professors speak on the subject they are studying.

The newest curriculum company that I am impressed with is Classical Academic Press. I used the Bible for Children with my 3rd grader this year and it was perfect for him. Their other products are worth looking into and I keep eyeing them but cannot use them right now.

One that you will find at convention that has been awesome is Analytical Grammar. My 13yos enjoys parsing and diagramming! While doing AG he was able to understand how to use clauses in his writing as he went through IEW. A perfect fit.

Thank you for your continued ministry to the homeschool community, Susan.

My 1st problem: Homeschooling numerous kids each at a different level. How to teach "common" subjects w/out dumbing down or making it too hard for the bookend kids.

2nd Problem: Not getting beyond the daily 3R's with any consistency.

Common subjects = history and science

Our solution: Robinson Curriculum

Our curriculum favorites through the years

Atelier Art

SOTW CD's

Explode the Code

R&S Grammer

MUS Math

As my oldest entered 5th grade, I realized I needed to take a huge leap in teacher training and self-education (my background: very weak/slow in reading & literature skills, good at spelling but unfamiliar with most spelling rules, okay with grammar but unfamiliar with how to teach it to a young student).

One of my biggest difficulties has been not having a clear idea of what to expect in a certain area, like writing or narration. Once I know what to expect, I can start working in that direction.

Materials that have helped me teach better by filling in the gaps described:

SOTW activity books & FLL: how to lead oral narrations & discussions in general; plus, these gave me a clearer idea of what my expectations should be of my student's writing.

Writing Without Fear audio cd: what expectations to have of my student's writing/composition; having more clearly defined goals/expectations has enabled me to use our curricula more effectively.

FLL & FLL-3: how to teach grammar/usage to a young student using an interactive approach

Five in a Row: how to discuss children's literature

[and recently purchased Teaching the Classics: how to discuss literature]

How to Teach Spelling: This was useful for learning the spelling rules and also for knowing how to apply them. I wasn't able to internalize the spelling rules using SWO alone.

Our spelling path with ds11:

1st gr: Spelling Workout A

2nd gr: Spelling Workout B

3rd gr: dropped SWO because ds was learning the words but not the rules (which I didn't know); tried to implement How to Spell series....ds learned the rules well, but it was difficult for me to be consistent with the daily lessons.

4th gr: none

5th gr: returned to Spelling Workout again...Level F with improved results

Once I taught myself the spelling rules and their exceptions (and the exceptions to the exceptions) using How to Spell, I was able to use the SWO series effectively with both kids (5th & 3rd this past year) and plan to finish the series.

So, my eureka moment has been not so much which new curricula to implement but rather which materials enable me to use our curricula more effectively.

I've got to say Saxon Math, from K thru 3. We used it one year ahead (gently the first two years, then more as written the last two) and I was consistently pleased with the way concepts were introduced and used. For example, kids in 3 check the thermometer every day as part of the Meeting. Later, they work with the number line. Then near the end of the year, they combine the two concepts (a vertical number line and a horizontal number line) and Voila! The Coordinate Plane! It's totally non-scary because they are so used to seeing both in the other context. Love, love, love it. Some people think the Meeting section is boring and a waste--but Saxon just gives practice with the concepts there and then applies them in new ways--ways that may be intimidating to those of us who learned things "all at once" but are not so to those who have gone thru their process.

Thank you for the recommendation in WTM--I never would have known how to do math without your rec.

Given my limited experience (2 years), I would have to say that I would have liked to see these recommendations in WTM:

1. Horizons Math

As a new homeschooler and reader of WTM, I felt like I was going against the grain by using Horizons which I found through Sonlight. I think all the major math programs would be helpful to be listed and what type of learners they might fit instead of just suggesting Saxon.

-Right Start Math

-Math-U-See

-Horizons Math

-Saxon Math

For higher maths, mentions of other programs would be helpful as well. Whether Lial's or other programs are recommended for their academic prowess and ease of use. I know many here use Teaching Textbooks. Again, my experience is below this level so I cannot comment further.

2. Science

Updated books and product list for science, esp. K-4. I personally would like to see more living book type recommendations and I would have benefited from a more clear explanation of what type of science WTM recommends for the early years. The first year we took a more rigorous approach than we should have because I was trying to follow the WTM from what I understood of it.

A list of scientists and inventors for each time period would be a wonderful addition to WTM as well to keep with the idea of studying certain subjects within their time in history.

-I would also like to see a section on Christian science books that would be recommended.

3. Foreign Languages / Latin

I would like to see more about foreign languages, maybe two paths to take with explanations further than what is already present. It would have been clearer (again as a new homeschooler) to understand the benefit of completing phonics instruction before starting Latin instead of trying to fit into the start Latin in this year mold. The two paths I'm suggesting is one that involves a modern foreign language in the early years and the other would be to start Latin only after phonics are done. Of course this may not be the suggestion you wish to promote but it is an area where I floundered a bit in understanding until I read more from other sources.

4. Music

We tried recorder instruction in first grade, my dd was unable to finger properly so we gave it up. Piano instruction has been wonderful here and I am grateful for the recommendation from WTM for it b/c I don't think I would have thought of it otherwise.

Suggestions for reading composers biographies (DVDs at Singnlearn.com) and picture books would be nice.

5. Art

I found Drawing with Children too much for first grade so we've waited until third (which starts in Sept.). Instead of using WTM's recommendations, we went with Artistic Pursuits and it has been wonderful. AP combines the history element and picture study recommended in WTM with practical application with different mediums. Best feature is that art history is chronological so that the K-3 books align very nicely with SOTW.

AP K-3 Book 1: SOTW 1 and a little of SOTW 2

AP K-3 Book 2: SOTW 2

AP K-3 Book 3: SOTW 4

Which is why we're using Drawing with Children in 3rd, I haven't found enough resources for the early Modern time period to have a study just for that year.

I'll leave the history and LA portions alone because I know you'll want to keep them primarily the products PHP has created. I do feel that each section of WTM would be more helpful if there were a section at the end of each chapter informing the reader of other that met your requirements even if the programs themselves weren't chosen to be the primary suggestion, such as I mentioned above in math.

Oh and the Jackdaw kits are very expensive yet I kept contemplating them because they were recommended. Are they REALLY worth the price? Other hslers have said no but again, I've always wondered.

Thank you for all you and the crew at PHP have done, it has been a tremendous blessing for us!

I've got to say Saxon Math, from K thru 3. We used it one year ahead (gently the first two years, then more as written the last two) and I was consistently pleased with the way concepts were introduced and used.

:iagree: I did the Saxon Math a year ahead of the grade level. I also supplemented with Singapore Math workbooks (no textbook or teacher guide).

It has worked pretty well for us.

5. Art

I found Drawing with Children too much for first grade so we've waited until third (which starts in Sept.). Instead of using WTM's recommendations, we went with Artistic Pursuits and it has been wonderful. AP combines the history element and picture study recommended in WTM with practical application with different mediums. Best feature is that art history is chronological so that the K-3 books align very nicely with SOTW.

AP K-3 Book 1: SOTW 1 and a little of SOTW 2

AP K-3 Book 2: SOTW 2

AP K-3 Book 3: SOTW 4

Which is why we're using Drawing with Children in 3rd, I haven't found enough resources for the early Modern time period to have a study just for that year.

Especially for 4th grade & up, it's mostly student-driven, not teacher-driven. This works great for us....we actually have time to do art.

The format of the AP lessons remind me of the children's art class at our local fine arts museum (MFAH) on Sundays. Here's how the museum classes were usually set up:

• Images of one or a few works of fine art from the museum are on display in the classroom.

• A specific art element is discussed (e.g., the use of color or jewelrymaking in the ancient world) and pointed out in the displayed art images.

• Also discussed is the artist and perhaps the historical context of the work.

• Student does an art activity on that specific art element (e.g., mixes paint colors & paints a picture, or makes beaded wired jewelry).

One thing: in levels 4th gr. & up, AP is more heavily drawing-based, IMO, compared to some other art programs (like the one at the museum or my public school art classes in 6th-12th grade, which included lots of crafts).

I also like how AP K-3rd coordinates well with the history cycles, as Jessica explained.

To sum up the pluses of AP:

- the use of high-quality materials

- convenience & ease of use (esp. that it's student-driven for 4th gr. & up)

- integration of works of fine art (art appreciation)

- inclusion of historical context

Some of our absolute favourites are:

IEW - TWISS in particular, but also 'Theme Based Writing Lessons', 'The Phonetic Zoo', and 'Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization'

Latina Christiana followed by Henle Latin

Story of the World,

'Famous Men' series

The ABCs of Christian Culture - History for 10-17 year olds (Catholic Curriculum - lots of writing and map work - fits very well with TWISS) This also includes the use of several texts, including the books from Nothing New Press - Story of the Greeks, the Romans, etc.

Australia, the Wide Brown Land for Me! (Australian History)

God's Design Science - LOVE this series, and fits perfectly with the four-year cycle. To make things more 'hands-on', we also include ideas from Dinah Zike's 'The Big Book of Books'. The combination works well.

Apologia for Highschool Science

- Science took YEARS to figure out, but we're pleased with the combination of God's Design followed by Apologia - God's Design introduces the concepts taught in Apologia very well.

Teaching Textbooks for highschool Math

Color the Classics for Music Appreciation

How to Use Child-Size Masterpieces for Art Appreciation

The Drawing Textbook and books from 'How Great Thou Art'

And for Reference Books, The Well-Trained Mind, The Latin-Centered Curriculum, and Designing Your Own Classical Curiculum, as well as Cathy Duffy's '100 Top Picks'.

Hey, we've only been homeschooling for around 12 years - we'll have it figured out yet.

Linda.

Latin Prep by Galore Park.

SOTW, the 4 year history cycle, and the linking of literature to history. Love it- has made all the difference to our homeschooling. Thankyou.

The concept of Freewriting (Bravewriter, but its not a new concept of course), as a part of a total approach to learning to write,, for my dyslexic reluctant writer, at a certain stage. It really helped him learn to let go and write. Along with copywork, dictation, narration, and Imitative writing.

As much as possible I am learning not to use textbooks and workbooks and using living books to teach with, which is why, now that we have finished SOTW, I am gravitating toward Ambleside. It just works best for us.

Saxon math- After starting with Saxon and trying numerous other programs including Singapore, Miquon, and MUS, I always end up back with Saxon. It is not always a good fit and I need to tweak it now and then but it is a good, solid program.

Lightning Literature- This is the literature course I had been trying to put together on my own. Now I have a lot less work to do.

Spelling Power- 1 book, 3 kids, and many years of homeschooling. Yeah!!

First, the TWTM high school board. This board has been a great resource for not only discovering curriculum, but also for general support as my oldest approaches college. The ladies on this board as so wonderful, and seeing so many of them get their dc into college is very encouraging to me. Thanks, SWB for providing the forum.

Second, Chalkdust math for middle/high school.

Third, Lingua Latina as a supplement to Henle Latin (or other parts to whole programs). Henle has given my 12 yo a great foundation on the grammar, but it's missing a focus on Roman Life, and he really enjoys the storyline in Lingua Latina. Personally, I wouldn't use it as a stand alone, but I think it makes a great supplement.

Lastly -- if you are working on another update to TWTM, I'd suggest talking more about choosing a college, and ensuring that your teen is prepared with the standardized testing he/she will need. You might also discuss options like on-line courses, dual enrollment, etc. Also talk about balancing rigorous academics with outside the house experiences and free time for them to pursue their interests/passions.

HTH,

Brenda

Singapore Science!!!! Have used MFH grade 6 so far - will get the grade 7, more advanced-looking material in a few days. This a great program for folks looking for a SECULAR program!

Teaching Textbooks for grammar -ages - great for the math-o-phobic parent who HATES math and does nto want to infect the kid with her dislike of math. TT does it all! Just have to go one year ahead (grade 6 TT for a 5th grader, and so on) as it runs a tad behind other programs.

Videotext algebra for grade 7/8 and up. Again - "teacher in a can" (my terminology) and a great program (no calculators - the kids learn HOW algebra works, not just formulas). Made algebra doable at home for this non-math mom who NEVER took algebra.

Doing history in a four-yr-cycle - great! Gee, what book did I read that told me to do it that way? ;)

Lightning Lit looks to be anotehr find - but it hasn't arrived yet so I really can't say.

Tapestry of Grace for students from about 5th grade up. Before 5th grade, SOTW.

Hey, you stole my answer!!! :001_smile: I loved SOTW and consider it the best thing I have done in all my homeschooling. (The Middle Ages CDs just took us through quite a bit of our 4000 mile driving vacation!) But, I have really enjoyed TOG this year for our second rotation (we re-read the sections of SOTW that go with it as a review) and feel that it stays very true to the philosophy of WTM and yet allows a lot of freedom to make the program work for each family. For us, it has been a wonderful menu of options.

I think you should promote the WTM discussion boards in the book. I can not tell you the quantity and quality of information (homeschooling and non-homeschooling) that I have received from this service you provide for us!! Thanks again for providing these boards for us!!

This forum has been the #1 find for me. Before this I did not even know what I was doing or what choices I had.

In my area it seems like everyone is SUPER christian or Unschoolers. This made it very difficult to find curriculum or advice. (not that there is anything wrong with Christian or Unschoolers..just not our choice)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I think you should promote the WTM discussion boards in the book. I can not tell you the quantity and quality of information (homeschooling and non-homeschooling) that I have received from this service you provide for us!! Thanks again for providing these boards for us!!

I agree with this one - you should promote the boards, esp. the curric. and high school board. WTM gave me the practical fleshing out of a philosophy, and the boards take that practicality even further. I came here and found people who were actually doing the stuff recommended in WTM. So it helps to chat about that stuff!