Menu

Netflix....unlimited streaming...opinions please

we use netflix streaming exclusively ...along with the occasional t.v. show caught on hulu. LOVE IT.

There are plenty of period movies, anime for DH, kids programming both educational and fluff, etc. We do streaming and 3 at a time DVD.

What types of programs do you like to watch? That really seems to be the biggest factor with whether people enjoy it or not.

We have it and we love it. Not everything is available through streaming but tons of things are. I have 75 items on my instant list right now. About 1/4 comidies, 1/4 movies, 1/4 tv shows and 1/4 documentaries. I also have four other family members that use the same account (same household) and they can all watch what they want too. My brother is a truck driver and he has it so that he can watch things on the road. I also have the 3 dvd package and I love that as well. I watch something and then just drop it in the mail and get the next one in just two days or so. No late fees or anything. I have about 50 items in that queue. I very rarely come across something I can't get on Netflix. The only things are current seasons of tv shows and between the dvr and most channels having the last five episodes on line I can watch more than I have time for.

Edited by KidsHappen

We use the unlimited streaming and get 1 dvd at a time because there are some things that aren't on streaming. We only have the most basic cable, so this is our main form of viewing anything. Dd is going through all of Deep Space Nine right now, and ds is going through all the Veggie Tales that are on there. The kids watched all 8 seasons of The Cosby Show last year, and dh, dd, and I LOVED Jericho.

I just don't think you can do any better for the money.

We have the unlimited streaming & 1 DVD package. Even though Netflix just dropped a bunch of movies, there is so much content, especially for kids, that we keep it. We have the DVD side because many of the documentaries we watch are only on DVD. We actually use on-demand and/or redbox for movies for dh & I, which happens about once a month.

The streaming service is a sanity saver for me, when I need my 3 yo to sit still for 20 minutes so I can teach a tricky math lesson or give a spelling test. Yes, I am guilty of using the tv as a babysitter. :(

We have it and love it. It's used SEVERAL times a day. DH and I watch tv series on it and the kids watch plenty of tv shows for kids, movies for kids, and great educational shows!

We cut our cable off last month and have strictly done this because netflix offers enough tv for our needs. Plus it's affordable. We check out 4 movies a week from our local library for free and 2-3 movies from redbox a month. No need for us to pay for cable with all these other great services. Plus we are able to watch ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, The Hub, PBS Kids, Sprout, and Nick Jr. online.

we use netflix streaming exclusively ...along with the occasional t.v. show caught on hulu. LOVE IT.

:iagree: It's the only tv we watch. The only problem I have with Netflix is that there is virtually no practical way to use their parental controls if you stream to a device (like our blu-ray player). It takes up to 8 hours for the parental control changes to take effect, and there is no password override. So if I have them set at PG for my kids, but at night I want to watch a PG-13 rated show or movie, I can't do so on the blu-ray without changing the parental controls online, waiting 8 hours for them to take effect and then setting them back and once again waiting 8 hours for them to take effect. It's absolutely dumb. :glare: The way we have to do it is: change the parental controls on the computer (this happens instantly) and hook up the computer to the tv across the room with an HDMI cable, and then remember to change them back. Pain in the bootay.

this might be a really dumb question...but when you are watching something that you streamed to your TV, can you stop it in the middle, and pick it up later...or can you stop it for a minute while you take the cookies out of the oven? Or once you start, no stopping??

You can stop a show at any time- when you go back to it it will give you the option to resume or start from the beginning.

We have streaming only. There are a lot of things on DVD that I'd like that are not on streaming, but we can't afford it right now. There are a lot available on streaming, but it seems that every time I think of something that we'd like to watch through Netflix, they have it on DVD only. It's annoying.

this might be a really dumb question...but when you are watching something that you streamed to your TV, can you stop it in the middle, and pick it up later...or can you stop it for a minute while you take the cookies out of the oven? Or once you start, no stopping??

No such thing as a dumb question! Yes, you can. You can stop/pause, fast forward, rewind, etc. As much as you want.

When we are streaming onto a computer, it saves your place wherever you left off.

I did find out that if you stream the same show on the TV and a computer at the same time (I was watching the same show as my kids, but I was about 30 minutes ahead of them), it will get confused about where to save. Not a problem if you don't have both shows paused at the same time. I don't remember which way it did it, but it wanted to resume both shows at the same place, either the TV's pause spot or my computer's pause spot, can't remember which--probably whichever was paused second. I just rewound to the right spot.

is there any rhyme or reason as to what is one DVD and what is on streaming?? It seems pretty random...but I don't know. Can you request that something be offered to streaming...or is that not something that would help the cause? Just trying to understand something that might be non-uderstandable.

I did find out that if you stream the same show on the TV and a computer at the same time (I was watching the same show as my kids, but I was about 30 minutes ahead of them), it will get confused about where to save. Not a problem if you don't have both shows paused at the same time. I don't remember which way it did it, but it wanted to resume both shows at the same place, either the TV's pause spot or my computer's pause spot, can't remember which--probably whichever was paused second. I just rewound to the right spot.

oh, that is cool. Don't know if we would ever use it...but it is a cool feature.

We only have streaming because I NEVER remember to bring discs to the mailbox a mile away!

It's on a lot! Kid shows, family shows, educational shows and documentaries... It's rare that we watch an actual full length motion picture, but we absolutely get our money's worth.

You can stop and start. You can also stop the movie you're in the middle of, start something else, and come back to the movie and it will remember where you were on the movie. Also if your computer crashes during a show, it will usually remember where you were when it comes back on.

We have it and love it. DH wishes it had more recent releases, but I watch so little tv that the documentaries I toss in the queue will never be watched before a whole new set of good stuff is released. There is a nice mix of entertainment and educational stuff for kids.

We LOVE the instant streaming. I cancelled cable this month, and now we only have Netflix streaming via the Roku. We have had to change our TV viewing habits, but that's not a bad thing. The biggest change is that now we have to actively search for our TV programming rather than being able to mindlessly turn on the tube and watch whatever catches our eye.

We have two computers and two TVs, and we are able to stream to all of the devices at the same time. I love that as my kids can have screen time at the same time.

I just signed up (in Canada) and I'm kind of confused. I've searched the site high and low, and I can't find any place to store a line up of want-to-sees. Also, I can't find anything about the other kind of service--the DVD in the mail thing. Can someone help me get acquainted with Netflix?

We have the unlimited streaming, and it's definitely worth eight bucks a month. The availability for new releases isn't great, but they have an awesome documentary section, and a ton of kids shows. They also have a decent selection of sci-fi stuff. Heck, I'd probably pay eight bucks a month just for the Stargate and Firefly. :D

I just signed up (in Canada) and I'm kind of confused. I've searched the site high and low, and I can't find any place to store a line up of want-to-sees. Also, I can't find anything about the other kind of service--the DVD in the mail thing. Can someone help me get acquainted with Netflix?

Unless Canada is different than the States: Go to "Your account and help" (top right corner) and click on "Change Plan" if you'd like to change to both streaming and DVDs. To add a show or movie to your queue- hover over the title and click "+Instant Queue". HTH!

if you have this...do you like it? why or why not? if you used to have it, why did you leave it?? Are all things available through netflix available with the streaming or not??

I love it. It's cheap. Plenty of things are available only on DVD, not through streaming. (We don't have the DVD package.) It has loads of documentaries, which I like anyway. When we use them for school, I don't have to pay late fees to the library. We also like to watch older tv series through Netflix. We're currently watching Monk on streaming, which is much better than paying ~$200 for all of the E.R. DVDs we bought.

I'm happy with it.

I will be the lone dissenter and say it hasn't been that fantastic for us. Unfortunately, our internet service can sometimes be slow (even though we have U-Verse) which makes streaming problematic. We have had problems with programs not having sound. We aren't big into the latest releases (which they don't have), but they don't even have the Star Wars movies, E.T., or Beethoven (the first). It seems very random what movies are available. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting the DVD option with the streaming.

is there any rhyme or reason as to what is one DVD and what is on streaming?? It seems pretty random...but I don't know. Can you request that something be offered to streaming...or is that not something that would help the cause? Just trying to understand something that might be non-uderstandable.

From what I understand, they have to come to an agreement with the owners of the show/movie. Sometimes it's a matter of a huge amount of money. I know they paid between $75 and $100 million for Mad Men. They can't just "decide" to offer something on streaming. I would bet that they look at requests when they are making decision on what to pay for.

We have had only Netflix (no cable or satellite) for the last 6 years and it's been great. We have the streaming and 2 dvd plan at the moment, which works well for us. I have 100+ items in each of the dvd and streaming queues, a mix of documentaries, old TV shows, past seasons of current shows, classic movies, kids' shows, foreign movies, etc---we're really all over the board. My main complaint is that you can't set up subsidiary instant queues, so I can't set up a separate queue for my daughter's fun shows or for school-related items, for instance, so that it's easier to find the one thing in your queue you want at any given time without scrolling through. It's a relatively minor annoyance. We tried Amazon Prime for a month last year to consider switching, but found much less content included in that plan that we wanted to watch than was on Netflix. It seemed like every single thing we tried was an additional fee through the Amazon Prime. They may have upgraded the content since then, though.

I will say that the streaming only really became useful for us 2 years ago when we were given a Roku (first gen, which we this past Christmas to a Roku II and it was well worth it). It's the most cost effective way we could get the streaming content onto the TV (we don't have a bluray, Wii, xbox, etc). Before that, we were trying to watch on our computer screen, which just didn't cut it for all three of us. Through the Roku, you can watch Netflix, but you can choose to subscribe to many other options, including Hulu Plus. There are also lots of free channels available. The main free channel we use is Crunchyroll, which has lots of anime, or one of the Spanish channels for Spanish language exposure.

another question....if Netflix is all you have, what do you do for local programming? Or what if your husband is a huge sports fan, how does he watch the sports he loves, without cable??

We have a converter box (the one the government was giving vouchers for when the analog to digital switch happened), so we can get local channels if we need them, though, honestly, I think the only time we've turned it on was for the Presidential inauguration and the Rose Parade. I get the local news via newspaper or the local paper/tv news website. We are definitely not sports fans, but I have seen sports channels on the Roku---don't know the prices of those though. I believe that you can get a lot of local channels just with an antenna now that the digital conversion has happened, so he may have more access to the local channels for sports than you think. We haven't done anything special in terms of an antenna other than hook up the converter box.

Edited by KarenNC

We have only ever had netflix unlimited streaming and an antenna tv so we are not accustomed to pay tv.

we love the options on netflix and will continue to subscribe. Occasionally, we get a movie from Redbox or on amazon (I'm a prime membber) but netflix is the one that is used the most frequently.

We have only ever had netflix unlimited streaming and an antenna tv so we are not accustomed to pay tv.

we love the options on netflix and will continue to subscribe. Occasionally, we get a movie from Redbox or on amazon (I'm a prime membber) but netflix is the one that is used the most frequently.

We had cable, then satellite for several years before dropping them in favor of Netflix. Actually, it happened because we had dropped back to basic cable when we moved, then realized after 3 months that we had never plugged the cable into the back of the tv and hadn't missed it! We actually watch a lot more tv (via Netflix) now than we did then, sometimes I think too much! Oh, and I am very pleased that you can now get subtitles on streaming content (at least on much of it). We're used to watching even English-language shows with subtitles anymore (got used to it via foreign movies and trying to keep the volume lower on dvds so the kid could sleep;)), and I miss it when it's not available.

Redbox (in conjunction with Verizon) is getting ready to enter the streaming content fray at some point soon http://www.webpronews.com/redbox-streaming-service-on-the-way-2012-02. It will be interesting to see how they stack up, especially if the post office makes some of the cuts they are talking about (like dropping Saturday delivery). Should be really good for new releases, but I don't know how they'll handle things like past seasons of series, which is mainly what we get on dvd from Netlix lately (the ones that aren't yet streaming).

The streaming version only had a few things we wanted to watch. We watched them and then dropped it. We might go back in a few months if they pick up more stuff.

We would have had to go to the mail Netflix to get the things we wanted, but we're not happy with only having one DVD at a time. We get DVDs from the library instead. The library has LOTS to choose from, and if they don't have it, there's interlibrary loan.

I think we tend to watch less popular stuff, so it's less likely to be on Netflix.

And now our TV convertor box has died, so we watch local news programming on the web. It's not as convenient, but I'm reluctant to spend more money on a convertor box.

There is also a lot of stuff streaming on the PBS website, so if you're interested in relatively current PBS shows, Netflix is superfluous.

Hulu is also a good deal. There aren't that many commercials.

when the price increased, we dropped from 2 dvds to just streaming. It has been a good thing for us because we are able to find shows we want to watch. But, increasingly, there are movies we want or need for school that are only available through dvd. Our library does not carry much of a selection either.

another question....if Netflix is all you have, what do you do for local programming? Or what if your husband is a huge sports fan, how does he watch the sports he loves, without cable??

We don't watch local programming. Dh is a huge sports fan- sometimes he watches on the computer (I don't know where- I don't watch it) once in awhile he's just out of luck. Fortunately, he's more of a cheapskate than sports fan so he wouldn't get cable just for that.

For many years we had used Netflix/library only for DVD viewing and then streaming via Wii. When we moved we decided to try out satellite and dropped Nextflix. Now our 2 year contract is up for satellite and we will probably end up going back to just Netflix. Primarily this is because satellite is so expensive for what you get! We need to wait until Merlin Season 4 is done airing on Syfy though. :)

The streaming is incredibly convenient. One drawback though was that we tended to find that shows were inconsistently available. Something you watched one week would suddenly be unavailable. Also, after years of having Netflix, we seemed to have watched everything of interest! New releases are slow to be added to streaming and have a long wait for DVD. We figure after an almost 2 year break, they will have new content.

We don't have Netflix or anything else streaming, but we are considering it which is why I was reading this thread. We have a converter box also and we pick up about 17 channels, including the CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX. My DH watches his sports shows there. If it plays on ESPN or something, he will listen on the radio or just check for updates online.

my husband and my sons are HUGE Michigan fans (we live in Nebraska though) and if there wasn't a good way to get the games, I would have a riot on my hands all winter long (espeically)....so getting rid of cable would not be an option and that's ok...just trying to see what options are out there.

Netflix would love to offer everything in streaming, if they could. Problem is content rights. Programmers don't want to give rights for streaming and for new content because they don't want to jeopardize revenues they receive from pay TV providers (cable, satellite....). Content rights are complex and often ridiculous. For example, you might have a right to stream a movie, but not a right to stream a song that is in the movie. Windowing (when a new show/movie gets released on which screan) is also ridiculously complex.

Take a look at Starz. They are pulling all of their programming from Netflix because they fear revenue loss elsewhere due to Netflix.

I think in time when studios are less nervous, more will be streamed, but for now, it's not worth asking the. If they had rights to a certain movie or a show, they would be streaming.

I love Netflix. By the way, for those of you who love art, there is a wonderful documentary on Van Gogh on Neflix. I believe it's called Stroke of Genius.