Menu

Can we revisit the "What are you using for your rising 4th grader" thread?

mama25angels

And would someone like to help me decide between Biblioplan and MFW ECC? I don't know why i'm struggling with this decision, it should be a no brainer, I have Biblioplan on hand and that's what I should use. But, i've heard so many wonderful things about ECC that it makes me want to spend money needlessly to try it :lol:.

my 4th grader will use:

3B/4A Singapore math

GSWL

CW Aesop or Simply grammar (with Understanding Writing)

Exploring the world of Physics w/kit (if we don't use ECC)

For the record my K'er will use:

OPTR/ETC A, B, C

Essentials Math

Pentime writing or HWOT

read alouds

For my ds who will turn 9 late Oct. I guess he's 3rd/4'th ish.

Math Saxon 5/4

*Primary Challenge Math (Zaccaro)

Grammar First Language Lessons 4

Spelling Spelling Workout D

Composition Writing with Ease - probably level 3

Handwriting Cursive Success

Literature Susan Wise Bauer's suggestions for grammar stage Middle Ages/Early Modern study + various Classic Starts books (I will be using Teaching the Classics with his older sister and can easily do a few that include him.)

History Story of the World vol. 2/3

Latin Lively Latin Big Book 1

Classical Studies D'Aulaire's Greek Myths w/Memoria Press materials

Vocabulary Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4

Science Earth and Space for logic stage from Elemental Science (I'm 90% sure on this one...)

Art continue with Atelier level 4 and maybe some Meet the Masters units as they line up with history

Music ? I'm hoping to get him back to piano lessons now that he's older. It didn't work out so well when he was six.

PE I always have him take this at co-op. Maybe we'll get back into martial arts soon. It's something I've wanted to return to for a while.

* Maybe--only if Challenge Math proves to be too much for him.

ETA: I'm not familiar with either Biblioplan or MFW. Sorry!

Edited by darlasowders

Science- Co-op and Happy Scientist type stuff.

History- CTT Early European Wars/Life in the Dark Ages, Oxfords Medieval/Modern Times

Math- Really unsure about this right now... was thinking MM, but not working out so well.

Grammar- MCT Town

Writing- WWW 4, CTT Creative Writing II

Spelling- Spectrum Word Study

Language- French... maybe Mango, maybe something else

Art-Co-op, and Art History from old college textbook

Logic- Logic Lift-off, CTT Information right or wrong, Philosophy for kids or something like it.

For mydd8 (soon to be 9!) in 2012-13

Phonics: Continue with Explode the Code and readers

Writing: Brave Writer Lifestyle/Writer's Jungle (copy work, poetry, etc.)

Grammar: GrammarLand with worksheets

Math: Math Mammoth and Life of Fred Elementary

Science: BFSU

History: We're simply reading through SOTW 1 and exploring rabbit trails

Other: We do a "focus" each month, like a very loosely organized unit study, alternating between a child-led focus, and a cultural focus. Many of the topics come from The Dangerous Book for Boys and Daring Book for Girls. I also pull things from the Core Knowledge sequence.

Arts: We listen to a lot of classical music, and do a lot of art projects. I am not really doing anything formal with this right now, but I might start to read some artist/composer biographies to the kids. Maybe use the Core Knowledge What Your X Grader Needs to Know books for this.

P.E.: Possibly belly dancing! Also sports from The Dangerous Book for Boys and Daring Book for Girls

Literature: We read a lot... books that are related to history, science, our focus points, and for fun.

What I am thinking for my 4th grader

Math Singapore 4B/5A with CWP

Grammar Finish R&S 4 move to 5 when we get there

Spelling Spelling Wisdom

Greek Hey Andrew Level 5, Copy book of John, Elementary Greek 2

Writing Creative Writer, possibly WWS, writing in science and history

History Various Units from Civil War to Today

Science Various Home Made Units - Habitats, Solid, Liquid, Gas not sure of other topics

Co-op He will do Science, Art and PE

I guess most things are set as we do the next thing. I am still working out the details for History and Science, I will continue to work on those through out the year.

Well, I have one finishing up 4th now. She has been using:

Rod and Staff grade 5 math and spelling. Grade 4 English and penmanship

Latina Christiana I (this has been great!)

Science: first semester finished Adventures with Atoms and Molecules from WTM 3rd grade chemistry. We had quite a few rabbit trails last year! This semester we have spent a month on the science fair, and are now doing a quick physics study.

History: SOTW4 w/A.G, switched to the outlining in the A.G. instead of narrations this year. It has gone well.

Art: We are in our 2nd year of Drawing with Children. Art has so improved this year. We just move slowly through the program and apply what we learn to our own projects.

Music: Alfred no brainer piano at home and Rod and Staff Growing with Music workbook. The workbook isn't completely necessary, but we do read some there that isn't in our piano.

It has been a good year, probably one of our best. I am most pleased with progress in art and music this year I think.

Right now the line up for 4th is:

Math Mammoth 4

First Form Latin

WWE 3 (finish) and WWE4 (start)+Killgallon Elementary level

FLL4

Science--Elemental Science Physics

History--Famous Men of Rome and US history 2 (cobbled together with help from Guesthollow)

Literature--Roman Myths, In Search of a Homeland, and Tales from Shakespeare

Geography--?? I wanted to do MPs new geo. but $$$!

Music--The Lives of the Composers, and violin lessons

Art--How to Teach Art to Children

What is drawing you to MFW? I don't have experience with it, but have faced a similar question (with MP's graded curriculum) and solved my problem by adding in what I really liked to what I already had. If you already have Biblioplan, could you spend a little more to add a few things rather than buy the whole MFW package?

Go with Biblioplan! You have it, use it, love it. Just think how sad it would be, sitting there on the shelf if you went out and bought a shiny new curriculum to replace it. ;) And you can always add in parts of MFW.

I'm trying to use stuff we already own instead of going out and buying a bunch more books, and am still learning about CM's methods, which I want to use, so plans are subject to change, especially since we won't start 4th grade until January:

Math: Math Mammoth 4

English: All About Spelling, Writing With Ease, tentatively MCT Island, though ILL looks tempting too...

Literature/Poetry: Favorite Poems Old and New, A Thousand and One Nights, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, The Princess and the Goblin, Black Ships Before Troy, Favorite Medieval Tales, Castle Diary: the Journal of Tobias Burgess, Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare, The Enchanted Castle, The Wind in the Willows, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Peter Pan (the last 3 to go with MCT lit program). Also anything else that strikes our fancy.

History: SOTW 2, possibly Our Island Story

Geography: Continue The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, possibly map Marco Polo's journey

Science: :willy_nilly: Still working on that. I think we'll read through The Story Book of Science and maybe Exploration Education Intermediate Physical Science or Mr. Q life science. Science for this year and next is driving me crazy.

Foreign Language: I Speak Latin and/or Minimus, or Lively Latin; something for Spanish, maybe Skoldo or Homeschool Spanish Academy

Art: Meet the Masters, picture study

Piano lessons, tumbling, horseback riding, Girl Scouts

Edited by Aurelia

What is drawing you to MFW? I don't have experience with it, but have faced a similar question (with MP's graded curriculum) and solved my problem by adding in what I really liked to what I already had. If you already have Biblioplan, could you spend a little more to add a few things rather than buy the whole MFW package?

I really don't know! We are doing good with Adventures this year (meaning that we get it done). I honestly think I may have the grass is greener syndrome, now that I think about it, because I really can't say what is driving my desire to use ECC.

My littlest will be in 4th next year:

Sonlight 4B/5A (maybe 5B)

A Beka - last half of 4 and first half of 5 (or finish it?)

R&S English 4

Spelling Workout - not sure where he'll be then

literature list, maybe BJU Reading

cursive practice - A Beka 4 probably

IEW and other writing

Latina Christiana II (not my usual choice, but he did LCI this year at co-op)

Studying God's Word E

memory work and reading (VP Explorers to 1815 mostly) and field trips for history and science

piano lessons, wants to start trumpet

art lessons

wrestling, baseball, basketball, etc.

Cub Scouts and 4-H

FLL, VEX

I haven't used either of your choices, but a homeschooler I respect very highly swears by Biblioplan, so that's what I'd say. :001_smile:

Edited by angela in ohio

I really don't know! We are doing good with Adventures this year (meaning that we get it done). I honestly think I may have the grass is greener syndrome, now that I think about it, because I really can't say what is driving my desire to use ECC.

Grass is Greener Syndrome will get you every time!:lol:

Grass is Greener Syndrome will get you every time!:lol:

:iagree: You know my mind went totally blank when you asked me what was it that I loved about ECC and that made me want to try it. I couldn't think of a single thing :lol: ! I'm actually ashamed of myself, I should at least have an inkling of why I want to use something.

Math- Singapore, Zaccaro Challenge Math, LOF

Spelling Power

Cursive Practice Book from HWT

MCT- whatever the second level is (can you tell I haven't done the research yet? :) The Island level was a huge hit this year)

WWE 4

Lively Latin 2 if we finish 1 this year or we'll finish 1 next year and start 2

Science- Not sure, we'll do Physics topics but not sure using what. I typically pull together different resources. I may go with the Science in a Nutshell kits and library books.

History- I'm still a bit on the fence. We got away from SOTW 3 this year for various reasons. We're still reading through it as a read-aloud but concentrating on American History using a bunch of resources. We should get through the Civil War at the end of this year or the summer. If so, I think the plan will be to do more of Geography study with both boys (I will also have a first grader) and use SOTW 4 purely as a read-aloud with the 4th grader (no narrations or outlining). We'll see.

Music-He does piano. I'd like to get back to doing composer study, maybe using Ambleside Online.

Art-Artistic Pursuits, probably. Dh does this with the boys so they can continue it if he likes it or maybe we'll look into something else. They really enjoy art with Daddy so I'm guessing we'll stick with it.

Various extracurriculars, co-op classes and sports.

We'll be using ECC with a 2nd and a 4th grader. Rebecca will also use:

R&S 4 grammar

Spelling Power

A Reason for Handwriting E

WWE 3/4

CLE 400 math

LFC B

And I'm trying to decide what to do for reading, whether I'll just have her free read or do CLE reading.

Extracurriculars: 2 gymnastics teams, AHG, and choir

Another vote to use what you have! (unless you suddenly come up with a reason why MFW is looking so attractive)

Here is what we will be using for 4th grade.

Language Arts

Grammar- HarveyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elementary Grammar with MottĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Workbooks

Spelling- WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 1824 Speller from Don PotterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s site

Composition- Spectrum Writing

Figurative Language- Figuratively Speaking

Literature- various, mostly tied to geography studies

Math

Review- Daily Math

Drill- Kumon

Exploration- AOPS Intro to Counting and Probability

Textbook- Teaching Textbooks

Science

Steck Vaughn Science Grade 4

Sciencesaurus Grade 4-5

Science Daybook 5

Memoria Press Science Grade 4 Insects

Social Studies

World Geography- various

Spanish

Learnables

Religious Studies and Mythology

(wks 1-9) Selections from The ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor

(wks 10-12) Selections from dĂ¢â‚¬â„¢AulairesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Book of Norse Myths

(wks 13-17) Selections from dĂ¢â‚¬â„¢AulairesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Book of Greek Myths

(wks 18-20) Selections from Tales from Africa

(wks 21-27) Clouds of Glory: Legends and Stories about Bible Times

(wks 28-36) Ramayana: Divine Loophole

(wks 28-36) Selections from The Little Book of Hindu Deities

Poet/ Composer/ Artist Studies

(1st quarter) Jane Yolen's Color Me a Rhyme: Nature Poems for Young People/ Ambleside's 2014-2015 TERM 1: Children's Classics/ Blue Rider artists

(2nd quarter) Valerie Worth's All the Small Poems/ Handel/ Rembrandt

(3rd quarter) Wayne Visser's I Am An African (I am not sure about this poet, but, if he won't work for us, I will use Rumi.)/ Brahms/ Henri Rousseau

(4th quarter) Issa- Cool Melons- Turn to Frogs! and Basho- Grass Sandals/ Stravinsky/ Chagall

Mandy

My oldest will be in 4th next year, and this is what he will be using:

HOD Preparing

SM 4a/4b

R&S grammar 3

DITHR 4/5 reading list.

Apologia Anatomy(with dh).

Artist and Composer study that I'm planning.

El Espanol Facil Jr.(finish this), and Real Homeschool Spanish.

I aslo bought some extra geography books and games, and we will do a Christmas around the world study at Christmas time.:001_smile:

Another vote to use what you have! (unless you suddenly come up with a reason why MFW is looking so attractive)

Here is what we will be using for 4th grade.

Language Arts

Grammar- HarveyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elementary Grammar with MottĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Workbooks

Spelling- WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 1824 Speller from Don PotterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s site

Composition- Spectrum Writing

Figurative Language- Figuratively Speaking

Literature- various, mostly tied to geography studies

Math

Review- Daily Math

Drill- Kumon

Exploration- AOPS Intro to Counting and Probability

Textbook- Teaching Textbooks

Science

Steck Vaughn Science Grade 4

Sciencesaurus Grade 4-5

Science Daybook 5

Memoria Press Science Grade 4 Insects

Social Studies

World Geography- various

Spanish

Learnables

Religious Studies and Mythology

(wks 1-9) Selections from The ChildrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor

(wks 10-12) Selections from dĂ¢â‚¬â„¢AulairesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Book of Norse Myths

(wks 13-17) Selections from dĂ¢â‚¬â„¢AulairesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Book of Greek Myths

(wks 18-20) Selections from Tales from Africa

(wks 21-27) Clouds of Glory: Legends and Stories about Bible Times

(wks 28-36) Ramayana: Divine Loophole

(wks 28-36) Selections from The Little Book of Hindu Deities

Poet/ Composer/ Artist Studies

(1st quarter) Jane Yolen's Color Me a Rhyme: Nature Poems for Young People/ Ambleside's 2014-2015 TERM 1: Children's Classics/ Blue Rider artists

(2nd quarter) Valerie Worth's All the Small Poems/ Handel/ Rembrandt

(3rd quarter) Wayne Visser's I Am An African (I am not sure about this poet, but, if he won't work for us, I will use Rumi.)/ Brahms/ Henri Rousseau

(4th quarter) Issa- Cool Melons- Turn to Frogs! and Basho- Grass Sandals/ Stravinsky/ Chagall

Mandy

Your religious studies and mythology plan looks so good!!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I want to be in Mandy's class!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my rough plan for dd who will be 9/4th....

Daily Bible reading

Science: RS4K Chem/Thames Kosmos, Exploration Education Int., OMSI labs/classes

Technology: Lego Robotics (FLL team, 4-H robotics club & weekly OMSI robotics classes), Scratch programming

Pre-Engineering: Engineering Is Elementary (Alarms), Snap Circuits, Arduino?

Math: TT Alg 1 (finish) and start Alg 2, NEM/Cybershala online class

Grammar/Vocab: MCT (GT, CE)

Comp: WWS

Lit: begin LL7 and Figurative Speaking

History: K12 Human Odyssey

Music: Piano/Voice lessons

PE: Tennis lessons

And lots and lots of books :)

ETA: Removed Latin from our schedule.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
ETA: Removed Latin

I love these threads! It's awesome how we can all tweak to our dc's needs, etc. So much more out there than when I first started homeschooling.

For my ds:

LA: Intermediate Language Lessons

Bravewriter 'Arrow' (he'll use the books as his readers, includes dictation, writing, etc.)

Spelling Wisdom-Copywork

Bible: He will read daily from http://pennygardner.com/bible.html

Greenleaf Guide to Old Test. History -together

Scripture memory

World History: SOTW 1 with Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, Augustus Caesar's World, Usborne World History and related read-alouds

Lively Latin 1

Classical Studies: Memoria Press Greek Myths

Math: Strayer Upton Practical Arithmetic 1 and part of Life of Fred Elem.

Science: Apologia Elem. Zoo 2 with workbook

American History: Once or twice a week 'This Country of Ours'

Art: draw one picture from nature and one picture from literature per week

Weekly tea time: Ambleisde poetry selections, Shakespeare for Children, Marvels of Science, etc.

P.S. I've never used either but I would probably choose Biblioplan between the two to try!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I want to be in Mandy's class!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, ladies. Weeks 10-20 are the National Mythology Exam suggested texts minus the Native American suggestion.

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN
more info and link

Here's my rough plan for dd who will be 9/4th....

Daily Bible reading

Science: RS4K Chem/Thames Kosmos, Exploration Education Int., OMSI labs/classes

Technology: Lego Robotics (FLL team, 4-H robotics club & weekly OMSI robotics classes), Scratch programming

Pre-Engineering: Engineering Is Elementary (Alarms), Snap Circuits, Arduino?

Math: TT Alg 1 (finish) and start Alg 2, NEM/Cybershala online class

Grammar/Vocab: MCT (GT, CE)

Comp: WWS

Lit: begin LL7 and Figurative Speaking

History: K12 Human Odyssey

Latin: VL/LFC

Music: Piano/Voice lessons

PE: Tennis lessons

And lots and lots of books :)

I would like to join your homeschool!

We will also be using TT Alg2 and Figuratively Speaking. I have been looking at the Lego Robotics, but there isn't a group in my area. Did you start your group? What all is involved with starting and running a group?

Thanks-

Mandy

I have to admit, I've just started giving next year attention. This is tentative...

Math-

Singapore 4 with CWP

Hands-on Geometry w/some Patty Paper Geometry

English-Dictation, CW Homer, CW Poetry, grammar??

Latin-First Form

French-Finish L'Art de Lire and go to...I might try Galore Park

Science-Microbiology, Human Body, not sure what else

World History-Abe Lincoln's World, K12 vol. 2 w/supplements

Ancient History-Famous Men of Rome, Golden Children's Bible, The Aeneid For Boys & Girls

Literature-She's picked out some books...North & South, Jane Eyre, David Copperfield and more...

Music-composer study & piano

Art-artist study & technique

Ballet...if we can finally get that started again

Gaelic-Spoken World Irish

Japanese is cultural right now...with some DVDs

German-low key

Edited by Kfamily

Next September ds will be 9. Here's what I'm cooking up for him.

Math- MM 3B and 4A

English- ILL and tentatively Galore Park (GP) Jr. English Books 2-3

Writing: Copywork, oral narrations, and dictations across the curriculum

Reading: Whole, living books, factual info in GP- read aloud 5 min, silent at least 20 min

History: HO Early Modern Level I

Natural Science: BFSU, Nature Study, living books

Geography: Through History, Literature, also Science Smart for a thorough take on Mapping

Art: Raphael and Botticelli (Mike Venezia's books), Art Fraud Detective, possibly Artistic Pursuits 2

Poetry: Poetry for Young People - Carroll and Longfellow

Spanish- RS, SfC Primer A, Muzzy, Spanish Dict

Music- Handel and I don't remember (not on my computer now)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Coat, Cats (singing)

Logic- Mindbenders

Handicrafts/Projects: TBD, Dangerous Book for Boys

Penmanship: Getty Dubay Italic Books D, E

Music: Piano

P.E.: Dangerous Book for Boys, Dance (Ballet, Tap, Jazz), Taekwondo, Tennis

I love these threads! It's awesome how we can all tweak to our dc's needs, etc. So much more out there than when I first started homeschooling.

For my ds:

Lively Latin 1

Weekly tea time: Ambleside poetry selections, Shakespeare for Children, Marvels of Science, etc.

P.S. I've never used either but I would probably choose Biblioplan between the two to try!

:iagree: about loving these threads!

I'm going to steal this Weekly tea time idea, and American History idea from you also. I already decided on Memoria Press' Greek Myths because of you. :001_smile:

Love the art idea! My ds likes to draw.... umm... pirate ships. :tongue_smilie:

This Country of Ours is on librivox by the way. I have a bunch of it downloaded, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Might try to give some of it a listen today and see how it goes. This one is read by Kara Shallenberg, so it should be good! :001_smile:

I also have Bravewriter. I need to re-sub to the yahoo list since she had a lot of good ideas to implement a bit at a time.

I love these threads! I am still trying to get ideas of things to add!! I have a *very* tentative plan right now, as we're still shifting things around for the remainder of this year... but here's what I'm thinking:

Math: CLE 400/500 plus Singapore IP/CWP Books and Life of Fred (Combo depends on how this goes the rest of this year, we haven't started CLE yet)

LA: WWW and possibly GWG; Add in WWE; not sure about literature... and really not sure about the rest, getting ideas!!

History: MP American, using Guerber book combo and "200 Questions" with some sort of map work. Might add on Abeka History 4 since it also has map work along with it, and adds in American History past 1900, which is about where the Guerber books stop.

Science: Still working on this one. :) I may do BF History of Science... also considering using "A Child's Geography: Explore His Earth" as a spine for an earth science/geography combo. Will probably also do a health unit during the year, possibly Abeka.

Also will use Latina Christiana I, Analogies, Studying God's Word, and possibly adding in Spanish. And I'm still deciding whether to add in Classical Studies of some sort, or wait for 5th. (We just started this year in 3rd, so not doing chronological history yet, although we've done some reading on ancient times this year.) We do a little bit of Fine Arts study here, but he will also do choir and take art classes. PE is whatever sports league or lessons he's doing at the time, including tennis, golf, and basketball.

Edited by SunnyDays

My "baby" will be in 4th - oh goodness!!! Here's his probably line up:

Bible - Next Apologia one - Who is My Brother?? (i think that's the title)

History/Geography - Notgrass America the Beautiful & our Geography study

Math - CLE 400

Reading/Lit - CLE 400 plus lots of books!

LA - CLE 400 - some of the lesson, plus a writing class - probably at co-op - I''m thinking of teaching IEW - All Things Fun & Fascinating. Finish AAS also.

Science - Probably God's Design again - the Physics ones - for sure the Invention book...he loves all that!

Lots of baseball, piano lessons or from brother, CSB, and whatever looks good at co-op!

I'm going to steal this Weekly tea time idea, and American History idea from you also. I already decided on Memoria Press' Greek Myths because of you. :001_smile:

This Country of Ours is on librivox by the way. I have a bunch of it downloaded, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Might try to give some of it a listen today and see how it goes. This one is read by Kara Shallenberg, so it should be good! :001_smile:

I also have Bravewriter. I need to re-sub to the yahoo list since she had a lot of good ideas to implement a bit at a time.

I hadn't thought of librivox. If it's good it could save Mom's throat some! Thanks.

I can't take credit for the art idea. I THINK it was off of charlottemasonhelp.com or a similar site.

I love Bravewriter, too!

:iagree:I agree, I think i'll borrow the art idea as well.

For my ds:

Bravewriter 'Arrow' (he'll use the books as his readers, includes dictation, writing, etc.)

Spelling Wisdom-Copywork

Scripture memory

World History: SOTW 1 with Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, Augustus Caesar's World, Usborne World History and related read-alouds

Lively Latin 1

Weekly tea time: Ambleisde poetry selections, Shakespeare for Children, Marvels of Science, etc.

You know the more I look at your line up, the better I like it and the best thing is that I already have all of those curriculum choices. Are you using the LCC model by chance? I think I may have to just "borrow" your plan period :lol:

I haven't used either of those so I'm of no help in your decision.

Here is what we're using for my rising 4th grader.

Math- MM LB Series 4A-4B

Language Arts- FLL 4

Writing- WWE3

Penmanship- Cursive Success & Penpal Letters

Spelling- AAS4

Reading- Depends where she lands by the end of summer. Might just have her read some chapter books and do small lapbook type reports.

Science-Elemental Science - Chemistry

History- SOTW 2 & AG2

Music & Art- Harmony Fine Arts Medieval & Renaissance

Biblioplan vs MFW. Hmmmmm. I don't know. I lean toward Biblioplan b/c I prefer to choose Biblical studies, Notebooking, science, etc. But, we have loved the MFw we have used here and I am open to it.

Rising 4th grader (3rd grade has been awful.... Still reeling):

Plan A (my first choice for him for next year but I don't think we'll stay with HOD after that as I want to combine my 3 oldest for content):

HOD Preparing

WWE 3 (I'll drop it if we like the writing in Preparing)

R&S English

MM

Lit from everywhere

Plan B (this plan is looking better for 5th grade and we'll start a 4-year history cycle together as a family with next levels of math & LA):

History: Start Ancients with Biblioplan, MFW CTG, or MOH/SOTW w/AG and some Biblical studies (perhaps Greenleaf)

Science: interested in a variety of options ?, may do unit studies that are interest led, read bios, I love the looks of Noeo for us

LA: WWE 3, maybe IEW, R&S Eng & sp, literature list made up, CLE Reading (we love this)

Math Mammoth and perhaps some brain stretching supplement

Maybe Latin. Leaning toward MP and Visual Latin.

Bible: Very interested in studying through chronologically with CAP's Gods Great Covenant. We memorize, read, discuss, etc. constantly. We work thru catechism as well.

Edited by abrightmom

Math Singapore 4

Grammar Phonics road 3 and 4 (half and half)

Spelling PR

Composition PR, maybe supplement, but probably just concentrate on transferring PR writing skills across the curriculum.

Handwriting PR

Literature PR

History I *think* we're going to go with Mystery of History. I already own it and I am trying to downshift on our history focus next year in lieu of ramping up science

Latin PR

Vocabulary PR

Science Not sure yet. I want something really beefy and fun. Most of my summer spending budget will go here. They also have a co-op science class.

Art Co-op

Music We're thinking guitar. He's totally hooked on the ukelele, and I think he's ready to move up.

PE This kid is in so many sports, I don't even think about PE.

To the OP: I am a HUGE MFW fan, but ECC fell flat for us. I sold it half way through. Ymmv.

I would like to join your homeschool!

We will also be using TT Alg2 and Figuratively Speaking. I have been looking at the Lego Robotics, but there isn't a group in my area. Did you start your group? What all is involved with starting and running a group?

Thanks-

Mandy

We bought the NXT for dds for Christmas (following years of lego & technic). Dh is teaching them how to program their robot. They take a class at our science center and attend 4-H on Wed nights. I am coaching their JrFll team which does not deal w/ the NXT yet. It is just lego and moving parts. Very simple intro to First.

Go to First and get savvy w/ what the program offers. Look for a local group or start your own. Buy the NXT for your ds. He'll love it. Attend local NXT competitions. Our 4-H club is competing next weekend so our little lego team (Wiz-Bots!) will go cheer them on.

Go to youtube and type in NXT Rubics cube -- then follow the rabbit trail of NXT projects.

Does your son do Scratch yet? Super fun -- and free. :)

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

We'll start 4th grade this coming fall. This is tentative (as I'm getting lots of good suggestions from this thread)

Math: Math Mammoth 4A/4B

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Writing: WWE 3

Grammar: FLL4

Spelling: Spelling Power & Spelling City

Reading/Lit: Still figuring this one out. . .

Science: Probably Noeo Chemistry

History: SOW 3, maybe 4 if I can get 3 in over the summer. I'd like to get 'on track' for the logic stage.

Fine Arts: Piano. We'll probably try to add in some art history and some Classical Kids

PE: Tumbling, running around the park/back yard :D

You know the more I look at your line up, the better I like it and the best thing is that I already have all of those curriculum choices. Are you using the LCC model by chance? I think I may have to just "borrow" your plan period :lol:

Help yourself! :001_smile: I've read LCC and really appreciate the concept of it but most my ideas here are tweaked from different CM sites. I used SL for a long time and would sometimes be drawn towards other schedules as well. I finally realized that no schedule was TOTALLY what I wanted---so now loosely make my own. The problem is that eventually I have to stop researching and tweaking!

I'm using Biblioplan this year and plan to use it again next year because of the high school materials for dd.

Here's what ds will do for sure:

History: Middle Ages-Reformation w/SOTW Vol. 2 & Biblioplan

Math: BJU 4

Logic: Logic Countdown, Balance Benders, Perplexors

Grammar: Not sure yet

Spelling: ACSI (older edition) with BigIQKids

Writing: IEW SWI-A

Reading: BJU 4

Science: BJU 4

Bible: Possibly PAC, but not sure yet

Cub Scouts, Upward Basketball

I'm using Biblioplan this year and plan to use it again next year because of the high school materials for dd.

Here's what ds will do for sure:

History: Middle Ages-Reformation w/SOTW Vol. 2 & Biblioplan

Math: BJU 4

Logic: Logic Countdown, Balance Benders, Perplexors

Grammar: Not sure yet

Spelling: ACSI (older edition) with BigIQKids

Writing: IEW SWI-A

Reading: BJU 4

Science: BJU 4

Bible: Possibly PAC, but not sure yet

Cub Scouts, Upward Basketball

Love your plan as well!!

For my ds:

Spelling Wisdom-Copywork

Scripture memory

Lively Latin 1

Could you tell me about your Weekly Tea Times? This sounds right up my kids alley!! Thank you!

Could you tell me about your Weekly Tea Times? This sounds right up my kids alley!! Thank you!

It's a concept that I first heard of through Bravewriter/The Writer's Jungle where she basically recommends a weekly tea party where you focus on enrichment type stuff and make it special. You can read poetry, do art appreciation or draw, read Shakespeare or other sorts of literature, have kids recite things they've memorized to each other, anything really! The point is to just be creative. I've used it get to the wonderful enrichment type stuff that we may not take the time for otherwise. When my girls were younger they would take turns baking something for it or setting the table nicely, etc. It's often been the highlight of the week!

It's a concept that I first heard of through Bravewriter/The Writer's Jungle where she basically recommends a weekly tea party where you focus on enrichment type stuff and make it special. You can read poetry, do art appreciation or draw, read Shakespeare or other sorts of literature, have kids recite things they've memorized to each other, anything really! The point is to just be creative. I've used it get to the wonderful enrichment type stuff that we may not take the time for otherwise. When my girls were younger they would take turns baking something for it or setting the table nicely, etc. It's often been the highlight of the week!

Thank you! I believe we will have to incorporate this into our weekly activities.....

So far,

Bible - not sure yet

Math - CLE

Grammar - Easy Grammar

Writing - Understanding Writing

Science - Apologia Swimming creatures and notebook

History - Living History of Our World and notebook

Spelling - SWR and Abeka

Nature Study

Guitar Lessons

possible - Prima Latin

Artist study - SCM