Menu

Nikola Tesla- anyone teaching about him?

My kids know that he is responsible for the Tesla coil but that is it at this point. I had plans to introduce him during our study of electricity next year but wasn't exactly sure how yet, if it would be a brief mention, or reading about him, or having them do some research. Not really sure yet.

DH, an electrician, is a huge Tesla fan. He's been fascinated with him for years, and has shared many resources with the boys. Our household electricity gods are Faraday, Maxwell, Braun, and Tesla.

Marconi is the bad guy.

Yes, my dh found the life of Tesla fascinating and he worked with our kids on learning about his discoveries, and unfortunate circumstances afterward.

Awesome. Do you care to share any resources? Preferably living books (if any). We are CM flavored here :)

Have you used any of the books the link sells?

My children are 8 and 4, and 1.

My DH used the internet and some library books. I think he also focused on the older boys, for several reasons. First, the story of Nikolai Tesla isn't always pretty. Secondly, to understand the science you have to have a bit of background to appreciate it. (Sonlight Science D, about Electricity and Magnetism, was sufficient entree to electricity for my boys, especially combined with Snap Circuits kits and DH's expertise.) Lastly, Tesla is best in his own words, IMO. We didn't use any children's books.

That doesn't mean an 8yo couldn't learn about this, though! I'm not trying to discourage, just explaining why we used the upper level materials.

You could start with youtube; just search "Tesla Experiment." Lots of 'wow factor' experiments there!

Snap Circuits kits and Usborne books about electricity and magnetism would be lots of fun. The TOPS books and kits available through Sonlight are awesome, too.

I just found this PBS Movie on Tesla, so maybe you'd like to try to find it for free somewhere and preview it.

And finally, I did find one children's book that got two great reviews at Amazon: Nikola Tesla: Physicist, Inventor, Electrical Engineer

I hope this helps!

Tesla should be a "natural" when it comes to learning about electricity.

How much one delves into his life is more optional. Modern Marvels had a really good show about electricity in general (and included Tesla).

Off Limits about Buffalo had a section talking about Tesla and showing what's left of his original power plant at Niagara Falls.

We watched a bio from Netflix on him a few years ago. Plus my dad is a huge Tesla fan, so ds hears about him all the time.

Sorcerer's Apprentice has a neat "supporting character" of Tesla coils.

The Prestige is another interesting movie (preview for age), which has David Bowie as Tesla in a supporting role.

Then, of course, for the geek, you have the Tesla vs. Edison t-shirt from Think Geek.

We'll study more about him in science again.

We watched a bio from Netflix on him a few years ago. Plus my dad is a huge Tesla fan, so ds hears about him all the time.

The Prestige is another interesting movie (preview for age), which has David Bowie as Tesla in a supporting role.

Then, of course, for the geek, you have the Tesla vs. Edison t-shirt from Think Geek.

We'll study more about him in science again.

Thanks for these links! Fun!

I read this book : My Inventions (by N Tesla) which is a collection of autobiographical notes. It was very interesting, not very long, and you can actually feel his personality coming out from the pages. Not only his experiments and ideas are interesting, but his mental processes and the quality of his "inspirations" are amazing too.

Very interesting! I already read most of the excerpt just now.. Free on Kindle too, thanks.

My DH used the internet and some library books. I think he also focused on the older boys, for several reasons. First, the story of Nikolai Tesla isn't always pretty. Secondly, to understand the science you have to have a bit of background to appreciate it. (Sonlight Science D, about Electricity and Magnetism, was sufficient entree to electricity for my boys, especially combined with Snap Circuits kits and DH's expertise.) Lastly, Tesla is best in his own words, IMO. We didn't use any children's books.

That doesn't mean an 8yo couldn't learn about this, though! I'm not trying to discourage, just explaining why we used the upper level materials.

You could start with youtube; just search "Tesla Experiment." Lots of 'wow factor' experiments there!

Snap Circuits kits and Usborne books about electricity and magnetism would be lots of fun. The TOPS books and kits available through Sonlight are awesome, too.

I just found this PBS Movie on Tesla, so maybe you'd like to try to find it for free somewhere and preview it.

And finally, I did find one children's book that got two great reviews at Amazon: Nikola Tesla: Physicist, Inventor, Electrical Engineer

I hope this helps!

Yes it does! Ds likes his Snap Circuits Jr. and plays with it. I'm just surprised that in the "general homeschool community" (whatever that is :tongue_smilie:) Edison is given an almost idol-like status, whereas I don't see Tesla mentioned, or barely given a short paragraph.

We used the last book that Tibbie linked. Ds has read a biography of Tesla as well. He wants to make a Tesla Coil.

That's awesome!

That's right! I saw the movie.

I had forgotten about this.. this is where I got intrigued about Tesla to begin with years ago.

I think I am the geek :tongue_smilie:

My husband talks about Tesla and thinks Edison was a jerk. :tongue_smilie:

The more I dig, the more I get the impression that that was the case. As I told dh, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and Edison was loud about his inventions, and a good self-promoter.

That looks like a fun book.

Yes, yes it does. Thanks, everyone! I'm thinking of introducing Tesla formally in 5th, as that's when ds is going to delve in Modern History. However, we can explore online and read a book or two for fun now. I can see ds being either an architect, engineer, or inventor. It is probably too early to tell, though.

We are Tesla fans here too. My husband wants me to teach about him before Edison. I have a bio, at home that turned out to be a little above my kid's heads. We will try it again in a year or two. I can't find it on Amazon anymore, but I did come across this sight-

http://gardenofpraise.com/ibdtesla.htm

It has a pretty good bio. Plus, if you go to the bottom there are other links and printable, so you could do a unit on him.

Eta: There are also books linked to amazon at the bottom!

Edited by coralloyd

• 4 months later...

Bumping this old post because we have just become obsessed with Tesla. We happened upon him studying the Tunguska event in relation to Meteor Day. Of course, I am fairly certain that most of the hoopla surrounding a Tesla/Tunguska connection is pure conspiracy theory, it led us to studying Tesla more in depth and Wow! Just ...Wow!

PhysicsQuest had a focus on Tesla a couple of years ago. You can download all the printed material (comic book, experiments on light, magnetism and electricity). "Nikola Tesla and the Electric Fair" is the title. You read the comic and do the experiments to solve a mystery (the clues are the results of the experiments).

http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/physicsquest/past/pq08.cfm

These are aimed at middle school. While you're there, look at the other previous Quests. If you sign up in the fall, you'll get a free (not even shipping) kit with the comic and materials to do this upcoming year's Quest (it came sometime in the winter).