Menu

Writing curriculum that doesn't suck the joy out of writing

Mommamia

I am interested to see what replies you get. I have been seriously thinking about just implementing writing on my own WTM style. I might have my dd write more within each subject. For example, for science, do reports or maybe biographies of scientists. For history, just do short essays (a paragraph or two) about what we have covered. I am not even sure if I will ever teach outlining because I never used it in all the years I was in school or college. I was kind of a rebel when it came to writing. I did not like making note cards for research papers either.

Hmm. Talk to 8Fill, maybe?

:iagree:I copied and pasted her writing guidelines from a thread on here a while back. I've decided to continue with narration, copywork, and summaries like the WWE hardback book, but stop doing dictation except for spelling. I am also teacing grammar with our WWE narration and copywork combined with The Sentence Family and FLL lists. All of this is due to 8FilltheHeart's post. My dd is loving the new grammar/writing system we are using and it is taking wwwaaayyy less time.

I'll add the link to her post when I find it. :auto:

ETA: Posts 33 and 34 of this thread

Edited by pw23kids
Added link

I don't think it has to be over complicated or joyless.

I plan to let them enjoy writing and then get more formal in high school.

Next year my 5th grader will be using:

Daily 6 Trait Writing

Wordsmith Apprentice

Copy work

And whatever creative writing we all do for fun. In this way he will get a little bit of formal writing, a little bit of the classic copywork which we all know is so valuable, and have tons of fun too.

My 3rd grade dd will do:

Daily 6 Trait

Queen's

Finish what I feel is valuable in PLL

In high school I plan to use Wordsmith, Write your Roots, and Write the Novel Way.

But we all wrote for fun at my house...so maybe it's more natural for us.

:iagree:I copied and pasted her writing guidelines from a thread on here a while back. I've decided to continue with narration, copywork, and summaries like the WWE hardback book, but stop doing dictation except for spelling. I am also teacing grammar with our WWE narration and copywork combined with The Sentence Family and FLL lists. All of this is due to 8FilltheHeart's post. My dd is loving the new grammar/writing system we are using and it is taking wwwaaayyy less time.

Thank you!

Edited by mom2littleboys

I've been using what I've learned from IEW TWSS to make my own plans for writing across the curriculum and so far my dc are much less stressed about writing. Dd14 feels relieved to be working on essays and the very clear organizational skills dd13 has learned has given her confidence. Dd9 is excited to be doing more than just copywork and narration (although I think those are important skills to continue) and is having fun writing well organized reports.

I don't like the randomness of elementary writing; it seems to be the only time in life that children are expected to write using prompts with no basis in their current learning. Once kids move into the upper grades and the real world, writing always has a purpose. Words are meant to communicate an author's knowledge, thoughts, or argument. In my opinion and experience, exercises in describing a pencil or a favorite day at the beach are not useful in developing good writing skills.

I dropped all formal writing curriculum. Having experience writing in the business world and having read an armload of books on writing, I finally got to the point where I felt comfortable teaching without a workbook. Of all the books I read, I highly recommend the WWE instructor text for the grammar stage; it explains the purpose of writing and the process of teaching it to a child. I reread it every few months as a refresher.

Using 8FilltheHeart's posts and the WWE instructor text I created a scope and sequence and summarized it on a worksheet. I glance at it weekly to pick a topic to emphasize. I was using WWW, which I like as a manual for introducing writing fundamentals, but we were skipping the writing portions so I finally dropped it.

Right now, my son is writing 3-4 sentences most days. Daily, I pick a subject for him to narrate. For history, we use SOTW. For science, we use whatever book that is his current interest. For literature, it's from his assigned reading. I also try to add in poetry or a biography every month or so. After reading, we discuss the passage, I help him develop his narration, I write it down where he can't see it, and as he writes, I prompt him when he gets stuck. I started out slow, expecting only one sentence and he's gradually built up his writing capacity.

Also, he's written two papers on high interest subjects. All other writing expectations were dropped for a few weeks and we worked together through the process: taking notes, finding interesting details, and creating paragraphs. His favorite was a paper on three NFL football teams. It wasn't brilliant writing, but it was a great exercise and he was engaged throughout the process.

I think if you're dedicated, you don't need writing curriculum. In the grammar stage, it's all about concise summaries and following writing conventions. The various papers can wait until the child is writing well. Just expect some form of writing every day, make it topical, and most importantly, give feedback. How can the child get better if you haven't gently pointed out areas of improvement? Read the posts from 8FilltheHeart and Ester Maria for examples of good writing criticism. Feedback is critical to any writer's development. Behind every great writer is an editor probably just as good.

8FilltheHeart's posts on writing:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2363522&postcount=33

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2363523&postcount=34

Edited by ErinE
Adding posts

I'll second IEW.

It's clear what is expected. It teaches incrementally. It offers the meat of what going to written - or re-written - and get pen to paper quickly and painlessly.

The tools learned can be used across subjects. And kids do seem to enjoy listening to AndrewP.

I don't like the randomness of elementary writing; it seems to be the only time in life that children are expected to write using prompts with no basis in their current learning. Once kids move into the upper grades and the real world, writing always has a purpose. Words are meant to communicate an author's knowledge, thoughts, or argument. In my opinion and experience, exercises in describing a pencil or a favorite day at the beach are not useful in developing good writing skills.

I dropped all formal writing curriculum. Having experience writing in the business world and having read an armload of books on writing, I finally got to the point where I felt comfortable teaching without a workbook. Of all the books I read, I highly recommend the WWE instructor text for the grammar stage; it explains the purpose of writing and the process of teaching it to a child. I reread it every few months as a refresher.

Using 8FilltheHeart's posts and the WWE instructor text I created a scope and sequence and summarized it on a worksheet. I glance at it weekly to pick a topic to emphasize. I was using WWW, which I like as a manual for introducing writing fundamentals, but we were skipping the writing portions so I finally dropped it.

Right now, my son is writing 3-4 sentences most days. Daily, I pick a subject for him to narrate. For history, we use SOTW. For science, we use whatever book that is his current interest. For literature, it's from his assigned reading. I also try to add in poetry or a biography every month or so. After reading, we discuss the passage, I help him develop his narration, I write it down where he can't see it, and as he writes, I prompt him when he gets stuck. I started out slow, expecting only one sentence and he's gradually built up his writing capacity.

Also, he's written two papers on high interest subjects. All other writing expectations were dropped for a few weeks and we worked together through the process: taking notes, finding interesting details, and creating paragraphs. His favorite was a paper on three NFL football teams. It wasn't brilliant writing, but it was a great exercise and he was engaged throughout the process.

I think if you're dedicated, you don't need writing curriculum. In the grammar stage, it's all about concise summaries and following writing conventions. The various papers can wait until the child is writing well. Just expect some form of writing every day, make it topical, and most importantly, give feedback. How can the child get better if you haven't gently pointed out areas of improvement? Read the posts from 8FilltheHeart and Ester Maria for examples of good writing criticism. Feedback is critical to any writer's development. Behind every great writer is an editor probably just as good.

8FilltheHeart's posts on writing:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2363522&postcount=33

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2363523&postcount=34

I would love to see your scope and sequence if you don't mind sharing. I am working on doing something very similar and would like a jumping off point. :)

I'll third IEW SWI. My kids think Andrew Pudewa is hilarious. Sometimes they are laughing so much at his silly jokes that I have to stop the DVD and rewind it because they miss the next thing he says. My kids have never been happy learning writing from my other methods and programs (even though they do them and learn from them), but my kids are always happy when they get to watch another episode of Mr. Pudewa. They never complain when Mr. Pudewa asks them to write something.

I would love to see your scope and sequence if you don't mind sharing. I am working on doing something very similar and would like a jumping off point. :)

Me, too! Please PM or email me if you aren't comfortable posting it here and are willing to share. My kids are doing great with IEW, I must say. They love adding their own bits. My ds hates writing and they're not loving key word outlines, but love the actual writing.

I don't think it has to be over complicated or joyless.

I plan to let them enjoy writing and then get more formal in high school.

Next year my 5th grader will be using:

Daily 6 Trait Writing

Wordsmith Apprentice

Copy work

And whatever creative writing we all do for fun. In this way he will get a little bit of formal writing, a little bit of the classic copywork which we all know is so valuable, and have tons of fun too.

My 3rd grade dd will do:

Daily 6 Trait

Queen's

Finish what I feel is valuable in PLL

In high school I plan to use Wordsmith, Write your Roots, and Write the Novel Way.

But we all wrote for fun at my house...so maybe it's more natural for us.

I totally am not being snarky, but which part of your list is the tons of fun?

I used a writing curriculum with Calvin for about a year when he needed the confidence boost that came from following a set structure. Apart from that, we just worked on writing together: discussing how to put a paragraph together, reading paragraphs in books, rewriting his own paragraphs.... It wasn't something called 'writing', it was just part of working on any subject that needed output. I didn't use a writing curriculum with Hobbes.

Laura

Thank you for linking to these posts. Great info! I'm saving this to my hd and printing a copy now.

I'm not comfortable posting the table I created as it relies on copyrighted material which I'm free to use for my own purpose but not free to distribute.

If you PM me, I'm willing to send the template I created and you can fill in the blanks as you wish. The document has a table for each year of the grammar stage. Each year is divided into 36 weeks, and every week has a new focus and instructions for writing expectations.

As I stated previously, the WWE instructor's text is a good base for creating your own writing curriculum. In addition, here's a few scope and sequence documents from various providers: one, two, three, four.

I am not using a writing curriculum really. I have a 5th and 3rd grader. We are currently working on forming strong sentences. Next year, I plan to delve more into paragraphs with my then 6th grader (sentence work will continue with 4th grader). Then, when I feel paragraph writing is strong, we will move onto essays and then research papers. I have no set time table for these things. I do really love the look of the new Writing with Skill and we will probably add that in around 7th/8th grade.

I was taught in this manner in high school actually. 9th grade focused solely on paragraphs, 10th essays, 11th research papers and 12th literary analysis. I was fortunate to receive what I feel was a very good writing education that served me well in college.

Sometimes it isn't that writing is boring, it's the topic that they have to write is boring. Try giving your child something interesting to write. It can still be used as a tool for teaching writing. Here are some articles with 30 writing suggestions:

30 Creative Writing Ideas to Inspire Your Child and

30 Practical Writing Ideas for Everyday Use.

There are also some fun writing activities you can do to expand on his sentence writing. Here are some ideas:

Fun Sentence Writing Activities

Often we can take monotonous tasks in learning and doctor them up to make them fun. I hope this helps.:)

Use writing instruction that is effective and efficient, then encourage creative writing and keep your hands off of that. Avoid prompts and journals like the plague. That's all there is to it. There are several curricula that could fit the bill, as well as no curriculum.

Edited by angela in ohio

Use writing instruction that is effective and efficient, then encourage creative writing and keep your hands off of that. Avoid prompts and journals like the plague. That's all there is to it. There are several curricula that could fit the bill, as well as no curriculum.

I don't understand this thinking. My children love prompts and they love journals and they also love more formal writing.

We love Write Source here. It gets your kids writing from the start (Kindergarten is more of an intro). This is a program for creative kids. You won't find anything but great ways to get your ideas on paper and how to create a well written story whether it's fiction or nonfiction.

I don't understand this thinking. My children love prompts and they love journals and they also love more formal writing.

It is uncommon for students to enjoy writing prompts, imho. Luckily, we follow a classical approach, so we can avoid such things. If your dc like them go for it. That's the sort of thing I allow for in the creative writing on the side.

I don't understand your comment about formal writing?

Anyone NOT use a writing curriculum?

ME! I want my children to be able to compose nice papers off the top of their heads. When they are teenagers, I want them to compose essays just as fast as they can write. I want their papers to be so good that they don't need much editing. I do not want my children in a program that has them taking a week to underline this, outline that, brainstorm this, circle that, list this, draft that, check the rubric, stick to the format, do the second draft, and bla bla for a week until they finally finish writing... one paragraph. I want them to just write the paragraph.

We do studied dictation and CM-style oral narration. My 8 year old is in the process of learning how to write his narrations down. They don't need help knowing what to say. They need to learn to spell better and get more stamina to keep pushing that pencil.

Writing isn't a joy for my kids, though. Sorry.

We don't use a curriculum, just the guidelines laid out in WTM applied to different subjects. We do lots of narration and copywork daily. My dd does enjoy writing, but I think its more because of her personality than anything I have done to make it "fun."

ME! I want my children to be able to compose nice papers off the top of their heads. When they are teenagers, I want them to compose essays just as fast as they can write. I want their papers to be so good that they don't need much editing.

Me too! :001_smile:

Let me know your secret if you succeed. I'm serious. I've worked with dozens of high school students (including a couple of National Merit Finalists and several who earned perfect scores on the SAT CR and writing sections) and still have not encountered one whose writing didn't need much editing. But then, I am a perfectionist.

;)

It is uncommon for students to enjoy writing prompts, imho. Luckily, we follow a classical approach, so we can avoid such things. If your dc like them go for it. That's the sort of thing I allow for in the creative writing on the side.

I don't understand your comment about formal writing?

We are Classical, but my kids also like writing prompts and I remember many kids did as a kid. It depends on the prompts, obviously, and they can be overused. But that doesn't make journals or prompts a bad thing to be avoided like the plague!

Me too! :001_smile:

Let me know your secret if you succeed. I'm serious. I've worked with dozens of high school students (including a couple of National Merit Finalists and several who earned perfect scores on the SAT CR and writing sections) and still have not encountered one whose writing didn't need much editing. But then, I am a perfectionist.

;)

I get good oral narrations from my children, so if they could write down what they speak...oh happy day. :001_smile:

ME! I want my children to be able to compose nice papers off the top of their heads. When they are teenagers, I want them to compose essays just as fast as they can write. I want their papers to be so good that they don't need much editing. I do not want my children in a program that has them taking a week to underline this, outline that, brainstorm this, circle that, list this, draft that, check the rubric, stick to the format, do the second draft, and bla bla for a week until they finally finish writing... one paragraph. I want them to just write the paragraph.

Sorry.

:iagree:

I'm glad I read through all the posts before posting! We tried a couple writing programs when we first began homeschooling but they just feel stiff and rigid to me. A friend and I had an "argument" over writing last month. She was totally offended that I don't write from an outline :D I used to write part of my paper to get an outline (if one needed turned in). It seemed ridiculous to me to be jotting down a sentence fragment for an outline when I had the whole sentence in my head worded the way I wanted it. I was a straight A Honor's English student through high school and this method served me well. To me, the big deal is getting all your thoughts down on paper. Then they can be rewritten, moved around, cut, revised to your heart's content...but they ARE there! I fully expect my kids to revise and rewrite, but once all their thoughts are down.

Next year my rising 6th grader, who says she wants to write a book, will be using Adventures in Fantasy as a writing guide.