Menu

Anyone else hate being outside?

I really hate being outside, and I feel so guilty about it. I think that perhaps I have a bit of SPD. There is so much sensory input outside that I find incredibly distracting and overwhelming--temperature, moisture, brightness, bugs, dirt, sounds, etc. I would love to be able to just let my kids play outside, but I don't feel comfortable doing that for very long. We don't have a fence and don't have money for one right now. Though we are 150 ft. from the road, we do live on a main street. We live in a semi-rural area where there are coyotes. So right now I am sitting with my coat on in the kitchen with the sliding glass door open while I listen to my kids play in the back and occasionally peek out at them.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same exercise.

No. Nature, being outside, is extremely therapeutic for me. I just got in from a 3 mile hike in the woods.

I wonder if this is something you could work on for the benefit of your kids? I know someone who is like this and while her ds12 is ok, her dd10 cant stand to be outside. They have a huge, beautiful yard, too. :sad:

It is so healthy to get outside and get some fresh air.

I am not an outdoors person. I hated when my ex-husband would drag me camping. Yes, drag is the appropriate word although I never kicked and screamed except in my head. It was something I had to endure for his sake but I was really miserable. My kids hate being outside too. The most outside my youngest dd got was cheerleading at the local park for 2 years in a row. They sometimes played outside when they were very young. We had a trampoline and a swing set. But they never stayed out for long. None of us are athletic in any way and we derive no pleasure from outdoor sports. My oldest dd knows how to ride a bike but my youngest two never learned.

DH takes care of the yard work. In the event that something happens to him, I will hire a company to come and do it all. If that doesn't work, I will move into the type of community that does all the yard work for the residents. I'm being completely serious here.

Nope, outdoors is not our cup of tea.

I wonder if this is something you could work on for the benefit of your kids?

Of course. I do all I can for my kids. But as with everything, there is a cost and a benefit that have to be considered.

I am not an outdoors person. I hated when my ex-husband would drag me camping. Yes, drag is the appropriate word although I never kicked and screamed except in my head. It was something I had to endure for his sake but I was really miserable. .

When my dh asked me to marry him, I told him I would if he would promise never to make me go camping. We are approaching our 19th anniversary, and he has held up his end of the bargain. He gets his camping fix with the boy scouts.

DH takes care of the yard work. In the event that something happens to him, I will hire a company to come and do it all. If that doesn't work, I will move into the type of community that does all the yard work for the residents. I'm being completely serious here.

Same here. Dh does everything outside the house. I used to say that if something happened to him, our yard would become a meadow. But now we live in a town that has a mowing ordinance. :glare:

I used to not be much of an outdoor person. Then we moved far enough north that I don't get enough outside/sun time in the winter. I hate that and crave summer. I have to get as much outside time as possible when it's nice out- because for so much of the year, it's not. (And I HATE cold- like, really, really, REALLY hate it).

I think when I lived farther south, I got enough sun just doing things like walking from the car to the store. But now, you get out of the car all bundled up and run to the store as fast as you can....... there's zero sun time!

I really hate being outside, and I feel so guilty about it. I think that perhaps I have a bit of SPD. There is so much sensory input outside that I find incredibly distracting and overwhelming--temperature, moisture, brightness, bugs, dirt, sounds, etc. I would love to be able to just let my kids play outside, but I don't feel comfortable doing that for very long. We don't have a fence and don't have money for one right now. Though we are 150 ft. from the road, we do live on a main street. We live in a semi-rural area where there are coyotes. So right now I am sitting with my coat on in the kitchen with the sliding glass door open while I listen to my kids play in the back and occasionally peek out at them.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same exercise.

Yup. I love nature but hate the outdoors unless it is a certain temp, humidity, low bug count, and such. My kids play outside without me (but my daycare kids do not) I do try to make myself get out more, and I have to for scouts and my daycare kids, but I would be quite happy to stay inside all winter and summer. Fall and spring are basically ideal seasons for me. Mild temps, not to hot or too cold, very few bugs, and quite beautiful out (colors in the fall, buds in the spring)

Oh my gosh...NO! I love being outside. Live outside in the summer. Front porch starting at 7 AM to read, then gardening for the rest of the morning, then backyard patio all afternoon into the evening. I'm hardly ever inside during the spring, summer and fall. My perfect summer day is sitting in a lounge chair with a cold drink and the Rainbow Resource catalog in front of me.

If my son wants to go to the park...I haul all my curriculum and spend the day planning school while he and his friends run around.

Do you have a nice place to sit when your outside? Comfy outdoor furniture? Shade? Cold drinks? Food? Music? The phone? A laptop? Seriously, I see no need to come indoors at all...except for the restroom.

I'm with you. I hate being outside!! One thing that I do like about winter is that no asks or expects me to go outside. Phew!!

We had a screened-in porch at our old house and that helped a lot. I wasn't technically "outside", but at least I got some fresh air. :tongue_smilie: We're planning to build a screened-in porch for this house too.

Well, I'm not much of an outdoor girl myself. :)

Outside is just...dirty. There is dirt out there. :lol: And bugs. And such. :tongue_smilie:

tbh, I don't always care that much, but I've just found that there is nothing to DO outside to keep me busy. I don't like gardening (see above re: dirty), though we did have a small garden last year. If I put my mind to it and resolve to go out each morning to weed before I take a shower, I'll do it. But in general, I'm just sitting out there while the kids play (I have to go out with DD, the boys can go out on their own a little more, but I still check on them CONSTANTLY!). Yawn... I just can't sit and do nothing.

And I don't mind summer so much - the one thing that makes being outside worthwhile is being in the water. :D

If it is like 95 degrees with huge humidity, or something like 30 degrees and windy, then I'd rather not be outside.

But anywhere from 50ish to 90, and less than 50 if the wind isn't bad, and I'd rather be outside. It is refreshing. It does my spirit good. I love to walk, to just read books, to pull weeds, to watch my son play in the sandbox....it is such a mood-booster for me to get fresh air.

We hope to renovate our basement this year (it will be a schoolroom) and I am hoping to include in that, or in the next year or so, an outdoor school area with picnic table, some kind of pergola-ish thing with lights that we can turn on when it is cloudy outside, and plenty of potted plants. If I can get that, I may never go inside. :D

There are several things you can do to make it easier for the kids to be outside without you.

First, I would install one or two security cameras that enable you to see the kids easily. Much, much cheaper than a fence! Depending on your house setup, it might be a pain to wire it, but basically it's one afternoon and you're

done.

Second, I would find something that can be used as a visual boundary, where you would normally have a fence (or at whatever point you don't want them to go past). If it's something pretty, like flower pots, you can leave it up all the time. If it's ugly, make it lightweight so you can move it easily :001_smile:

Ideas: cinder blocks, chairs, orange cones, 'do not cross' tape, potted plants or even just empty planters, scrap wood, bike flags, rose bushes - basically, anything that will serve as a visible reminder to not go past that point.

I LOVE the outdoors, I walk for more than an hour outside everyday weather permitting and I enjoy it so very much. I couldn't think of spending a better part of my day than sitting under a tree and reading a book. I love everything about the outdoors and although it gets cold in winter I brave it and go out anyways! I don't like weather that's tooc old though...:tongue_smilie:

but I usually get in a nature groove and enjoy myself. I'm not always as motivated to get out of doors as I should be, but I do make myself run, walk, bike, swim, hike. Again, I don't always immediately enjoy it but later am always glad I ventured out.

Push yourself a bit. How about a short walk on a nice day?

I don't like being outside, and I am proud of it ;)! If we liked being outside we could organize a parade.... :lol:! It would be like an introvert convention, no one would come :D.

I do have a yard DD can go out into, and I leave it to my husband to do "outdoorsy" things with her. It works quite well. They have quality time together, and I get quality time indoors by myself.

I don't like being outside, and I am proud of it ;)! If we liked being outside we could organize a parade.... :lol:! It would be like an introvert convention, no one would come :D.

I do have a yard DD can go out into, and I leave it to my husband to do "outdoorsy" things with her. It works quite well. They have quality time together, and I get quality time indoors by myself.

:thumbup:

I'm an indoor soul! I go outside, when I have to, and try to get through it, taking in deep breaths, enjoying what part of "outside" I can....BUT I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK INTO THE CAR AND GO!!!! :tongue_smilie:

We have park playdates, PE classes and some outdoor field trips throughout the year but not too many. We're mostly indoors with all of our extracurriculars (tae kwon do, chess school, violin, art classes, library visits, museums, etc.) so that makes it nice since DS likes indoors, too.

We're all different and that's a nice thing! If well all loved the park, hiking, etc., just imagine how crowded the "outdoors" would be? Lol!

Stay indoors and stay happy - I know I am (on both accounts)!

Push yourself a bit. How about a short walk on a nice day?

I do all the time. I have to for the sake of the kids. But it doesn't ever get better. It just gets increasingly more overwhelming.

We're all different and that's a nice thing! If well all loved the park, hiking, etc., just imagine how crowded the "outdoors" would be? Lol!

Stay indoors and stay happy - I know I am (on both accounts)!

Love this! Thanks!

Do you have a nice place to sit when your outside? Comfy outdoor furniture? Shade? Cold drinks? Food? Music? The phone? A laptop? Seriously, I see no need to come indoors at all...except for the restroom.

I could maybe try some comfy outdoor furniture, though I am not sure what that would look like. I don't have much in the way of music--again, the whole sensory issue thing. No stereo. No Ipod. Just a few CD's for the kids. I do plan play dates at the park during the summer. Having someone to talk to helps a lot. But it is not feasible on a day to day basis.

There are several things you can do to make it easier for the kids to be outside without you.

First, I would install one or two security cameras that enable you to see the kids easily. Much, much cheaper than a fence! Depending on your house setup, it might be a pain to wire it, but basically it's one afternoon and you're

done.

Second, I would find something that can be used as a visual boundary, where you would normally have a fence (or at whatever point you don't want them to go past). If it's something pretty, like flower pots, you can leave it up all the time. If it's ugly, make it lightweight so you can move it easily :001_smile:

Ideas: cinder blocks, chairs, orange cones, 'do not cross' tape, potted plants or even just empty planters, scrap wood, bike flags, rose bushes - basically, anything that will serve as a visible reminder to not go past that point.

The kids are very good about staying within boundaries, so that is not so much a concern. It is just the thought of being on a main road where strangers are passing by all the time that worries. And those coyotes that we have seen in the fields across the street--they are worrisome.

I love the security camera idea. I will have to look into that. Ds will be 4yo this month, and I think he is now old enough to be outside with his sister for short periods of time. Also dh loves being outside, so he takes them all the time during the summer. But the days are so short at this time of year, so it is dark when he comes home, and I really begin to feel the guilt.

I guess I don't really mind being outside, but I love being in my own home. And life is just easier here with my disabled dd. I can keep her happy with music and her favorite toys, sitting in or lying on furniture that's comfortable. She is so often unhappy in other settings that it is just easier to be inside our own home.