Menu

Poll: Do glasses make you look older?

Do glasses make you look older?  

1. 1. Do glasses make you look older?

• Yes-They age you at least 5 years.
    • No-Why would they?
    • Sometimes-It depends on the style of glasses.
    • Other-Share whatever 'other' means to you :)

If I did not wear glasses, I would have to do something about the the dark circles under my eyes, crows feet wrinkles, and furrows between my eyebrows. My funky purple frames do a great job of covering the obvious aging around my eyes.

I agree. Most people I know who wear glasses look great in them. Not that they don't look great out of them. I just think they can be a fun accessory. The selection available these days is so amazing! I definitely don't think of them making people look older generally. DH had lasik and I was really sad he doesn't wear glasses any more! I loved how he looked in his glasses.

Y'all are pretty much confirming what I thought. I was having a brief pre-midlife crisis.

I've always been pretty confident in my glasses wearing. I've worn them exclusively for about 8 years, after wearing contacts through my teens and twenties. I'm totally onboard the glasses are sexy boat, but I felt I needed a change. I was debating between some funky purple frames (betty!) or getting contacts. When I took the time to take off my glasses and get close enough to the mirror to see what was going on :glare:, unbeknownst to me, my librarian chic look has been hiding some signs of age.

I'm going to keep wearing glasses, BUT I'm also going to color my hair!!! :D I scheduled the appointment for tomorrow!

No, glasses don't make you look older, they make you see better. :tongue_smilie: Squinting and running into things (hopefully not while driving) make you look stupid. :tongue_smilie: I've had glasses since I was 12.

I do think it's important to find frames that are updated and fit your face. I'm 44 and will be getting new glasses soon. I think I'll change the color of my frames, my complexion is fading and my hair is graying, so I'll want a different color frame.

I think these type of glasses made everyone look older.

4016-6357.gif

She looks younger in these glasses, sans the gray of course (which I adore on her!)

transform.jpg

Edited by elegantlion
Um, I need new glasses.

No, glasses don't make you look older, they make you see better. :tongue_smilie: Squinting and running into things (hopefully not while driving) make you look stupid. :tongue_smilie: I've had glasses since I was 12.

I do think it's important to find frames that are updated and fit your face. I'm 44 and will be getting new glasses soon. I think I'll change the color of my frames, my complexion is fading and my hair is graying, so I'll want a different color frame.

4016-6357.gif

She looks younger in these glasses, sans the gray of course (which I adore on her!)

Jamie-Lee-Curtis.jpg

I love Jamie Lee Curtis. Did you see what's goin' on in that background art, though? :svengo:

4016-6357.gif

Jamie-Lee-Curtis.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis is my inspiration. My hair color and cut are very similar. If she can look great with short gray hair so can I!

I love Jamie Lee Curtis. Did you see what's goin' on in that background art, though? :svengo:

:lol: I'm usually pretty detail oriented and I totally missed that!

ETA: 7 of you, so far, have voted yes, but not commented as to why you think glasses age you. I'm really curious to hear! Is there a certain age that you feel it's an issue?

Edited by sparrow

:lol: I'm usually pretty detail oriented and I totally missed that!

ETA: 7 of you, so far, have voted yes, but not commented as to why you think glasses age you. I'm really curious to hear! Is there a certain age that you feel it's an issue?

Well, I was one of the voters that said yes, but then they were getting such rave reviews in the thread, I decided to keep my thoughts to myself.

I do think a person looks older wearing glasses, no matter if they are hip, unhip, have a librarian chain, have wire frames, or say "Juicy Couture" on them. I need vision correction, but rarely wear my glasses, because I immediately look "librarian" in them (not that I'd be sad to be a librarian). Young, hip, healthy eyeballs don't require glasses and very few young people wear them all the time. I have never witnessed a person looking younger by wearing glasses. I even remember a boyfriend who wore his glasses to go buy beer underage. :tongue_smilie: He looked 25 in those things.

Now - I don't think wearing glasses automatically is less-appealing and some people look very "right" in them. My dh wears reading glasses and I think it's very appealing when he's wearing them. But he looks appealingly 48, not younger.

Well, I was one of the voters that said yes, but then they were getting such rave reviews in the thread, I decided to keep my thoughts to myself.

I do think a person looks older wearing glasses, no matter if they are hip, unhip, have a librarian chain, have wire frames, or say "Juicy Couture" on them. I need vision correction, but rarely wear my glasses, because I immediately look "librarian" in them (not that I'd be sad to be a librarian). Young, hip, healthy eyeballs don't require glasses and very few young people wear them all the time. I have never witnessed a person looking younger by wearing glasses. I even remember a boyfriend who wore his glasses to go buy beer underage. :tongue_smilie: He looked 25 in those things.

Now - I don't think wearing glasses automatically is less-appealing and some people look very "right" in them. My dh wears reading glasses and I think it's very appealing when he's wearing them. But he looks appealingly 48, not younger.

Fair enough and I can see your point. I'm not sure if I recall glasses making anyone look younger, but age appropriate, and hopefully not older :tongue_smilie:, works for me!

Honestly, I'm a horrible judge of age. These days, once people get past 28, or so, they could just as easily be 45 to me, as 32.

Honestly, I'm a horrible judge of age. These days, once people get past 28, or so, they could just as easily be 45 to me, as 32.

I did not attend our last class reunion, the 25th (that just seems wrong to say!). Anyway I saw pictures and I thought someone had brought their older husband. No, it was one of the popular guys from our class, totally grey. It was then I realized that we all looked a little older than I thought.

because I immediately look "librarian" in them (not that I'd be sad to be a librarian).

Men commonly find the librarian look sexy, even men who have never been inside a library.

On a totally different note it is very much the style for teens to wear glasses even when they don't need them. The amount of non-prescription glasses that I have around the house is totally staggering. And I don't really think the teens are going for the librarian look at least not by judging the types of glasses we have lying around.

I have four pair of glasses: aviator style which are for driving, tortoise shell which I wear for watching tv, a pair that is practically invisable which I wear around the house and a pair of reading glasses which I don't wear unless I absolutely have to. There is really nothing wrong with them except for the fact that I can't see anything less than a foot away when wearing them. The aviators probably look the best because they have transition lens and look like sunglasses.

I did not attend our last class reunion, the 25th (that just seems wrong to say!). Anyway I saw pictures and I thought someone had brought their older husband. No, it was one of the popular guys from our class, totally grey. It was then I realized that we all looked a little older than I thought.

Oh, I hear you on that! I attended my 20th reunion in 2008 (NEVER again!) and overall I have to say the women are holding up much better than the men. I totally didn't recognize several of the guys in my class. Most of the women looked better than they did in high school!

It depends entirely on the style of glasses. Outdated / unfashionable glasses make you look old, as do glasses that look worn out or are in disrepair.

So...(and I hesitate to ask this, for fear of finding out my glasses are hopelessly out of date and make me look old) what is the current look for eyeglasses? What's out? All I know for sure is I avoid those enormous, wrap-around sunglasses my grandmother used to wear. Though I will say, Grandma wore them with panache. :)

So...(and I hesitate to ask this, for fear of finding out my glasses are hopelessly out of date and make me look old) what is the current look for eyeglasses? What's out? All I know for sure is I avoid those enormous, wrap-around sunglasses my grandmother used to wear. Though I will say, Grandma wore them with panache. :)

The shapes that seem to be in style are more rectangular with strong lines, although I've noticed a return of the catseye shape, too. I think that one is hard to pull off for a lot of face shapes, though. If you take a look at most online eyeglass retailers, you will get an idea of current styles. Look for ones that are designer names. Those will be on trend.

Thankfully, I don't think eyewear shapes change too much within any 2-4 year time frame, so you don't have to replace glasses every year to keep current.