Menu

I don't care if your dog is a "registered therapy dog"...

I think most service dogs in the US, trained by legitimate organizations, are trained to Canadian standards. However the actual rules in the US are different. While service dogs are not required to wear a vest or any other identification, there are 2 questions any public place has a right to ask of the dogs' handlers. They may ask if the animal is a service dog and what 3 tasks the dog performs to help mitigate the disability. Service dogs are permitted to accompany their owners almost anywhere, including hospitals and restaurants. Any service animal may be asked to leave a public place if they are behaving in a manner that is disrupts the place's reason for being. So a dog that is howling in a movie theater or growling on a public bus can and should be removed. /QUOTE]

Do you have a source for the part I bolded?

According to this link the ADA only gives business owners the right to ask if the dog is a service dog. Customers do not need to provide any more detail (or proof) than that.

What I hate is that legally hotel owners, for example, are not allowed to exclude service animals from rooms that they otherwise keep animal free for the benefit of people with severe allergies, even if the hotel has other rooms that accept animals. I think in our attempts to protect the rights of those with disabilities, we have swung too far in the other direction in some areas.

This is a a brief put out by the Justice Department. The one thing you cannot ever ask what the person's disability is.

As far as hotel rooms, I do understand the allergy issue, but many children with service animals also have allergies and are medically fragile. Many times designated "pet rooms" are also smoking rooms. I and one of my children have anaphylactic allergies, so I do realize it's a very tricky line. But we have our epi-pens and are very vigilant, so we brave the big bad world. My DS wouldn't be able to ever leave our house without his dog. She is a piece of necessary medical equipment just like a wheel chair. But we do go to great lengths to minimize her impact on the public.

We keep DS' dog very clean. True service dogs should be very well maintained. That means regular bathing, brushing, etc... to try and minimize their impact in public places. One of the "tricks" I learned in class was to put my hand on DS' dog whenever she stood up as we leave a restaurant. Dogs tend to shake when they stand up and this keeps her from doing it. There will never be a perfect solution between allergies and service animals. But I would like to see laws rewritten and people actually prosecuted for pretending their pets or therapy dogs are the same as service animals. Prosecution would help protect both service animals and people with severe allergies.

Edited by littlewigglebutts

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my neck of the woods, a therapy dog is one who is trained and goes to visit people in nursing homes, hospitals, and participates in Paws to Read, and things like that. These visits are organized by a kennel club or other organization and are for the benefit of the people who are visited, not the dog owner.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/

:iagree: My SIL has 2 trained therapy dogs. They visit patients at the hospital and they also go to the library and kids with reading difficulties read to the dogs. She and her dogs have been through extensive training and her dogs are extremely well-behaved and patient. She does not take them into stores, restaurants, etc.

:iagree:I would complain to management of any establishment where a dog became aggressive (even a low growl) or displayed otherwise inappropriate (peeing/pooing inside) behavior.

People pretending their pets are service dogs or therapy dogs is getting out of hand.

I definitely would have complained to someone last night, but it's one of those unstaffed laundromats.

can I get my cats registered as comfort animals, on second thought I would never be able to get them into the car to go places lol. They would also freak in public. Honestly, I am afraid of most dogs but that does not count to all the people that bring their dogs places (I am talking about people that bring their dogs just because, not because they are working serivice dogs)

Nope.
(Was it wearing a vest)

That dog was NOT a therapy dog.

I have become VERY familiar with Therapy Dogs over the past year as I have 1 friend who has one and 2 friends who train them.

The families who train them take them EVERYWHERE. They wear a vest (the dogs :D) And even when being trained, the dogs just SIT there. They may wag their tail when you pet them, but even in restaurants they are EXTREMELY well behaved.

Now for my friend who HAS a therapy dog. He is such a calm, gentle dog. They bring the dog to AWANA and the dog just sits there while the kids (and our AWANA has over 100 kids) run wild. Not exactly wild, but you know what I mean.

They took there therapy dog to the hospital when he had a sleep test and when he had tonsils or tubes.

I have NEVER heard their dog bark, let alone growl. I have never seen their dog RUN. He lays there. And watches his boy. The dog REEKS of loyalty. ;)

ETA: This is the problem. Even if the dog IS wearing a vest, it really means nothing. Judge it by their behavior if you can't see a handicap.

Edited by cin

can I get my cats registered as comfort animals, on second thought I would never be able to get them into the car to go places lol. They would also freak in public. Honestly, I am afraid of most dogs but that does not count to all the people that bring their dogs places (I am talking about people that bring their dogs just because, not because they are working serivice dogs)

Hang on . . .

Let me say right up front so that I do not ruffle anyone's feathers that I take my dog ONLY places where she is allowed. I have never, ever tried to sneak her in anywhere I know or even suspect she isn't welcomed.

And I'm also sorry to hear that you are afraid of dogs. That must make it challenging to go out and about in the world.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether you actually think people should not bring their dogs to places and events where there is no prohibition on doing so just in case there might be someone there who is afraid of dogs?

Because I do take my dog pretty much everywhere, just because. She's my best friend, and I am lonely when she is not with me. (Yes, I have human friends, too. I just like my dog better than most people.) As I said, I don't take her anywhere she is not allowed, but I also try not to go to many of those places, because I don't like to leave her more than necessary.

I take her to craft shows, farmer's markets, pet supply stores, restaurants with outdoor seating and no anti-pet policy, etc. She goes everywhere with me in the car unless I know I am going somewhere she won't be welcome (stores other than pet supply ones, movie theatres, etc.). It would never occur to me to leave here home when I'm going somewhere I know she can join me.

Do you just avoid all of those places?

Hang on . . .

Let me say right up front so that I do not ruffle anyone's feathers that I take my dog ONLY places where she is allowed. I have never, ever tried to sneak her in anywhere I know or even suspect she isn't welcomed.

And I'm also sorry to hear that you are afraid of dogs. That must make it challenging to go out and about in the world.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether you actually think people should not bring their dogs to places and events where there is no prohibition on doing so just in case there might be someone there who is afraid of dogs?

Because I do take my dog pretty much everywhere, just because. She's my best friend, and I am lonely when she is not with me. (Yes, I have human friends, too. I just like my dog better than most people.) As I said, I don't take her anywhere she is not allowed, but I also try not to go to many of those places, because I don't like to leave her more than necessary.

I take her to craft shows, farmer's markets, pet supply stores, restaurants with outdoor seating and no anti-pet policy, etc. She goes everywhere with me in the car unless I know I am going somewhere she won't be welcome (stores other than pet supply ones, movie theatres, etc.). It would never occur to me to leave here home when I'm going somewhere I know she can join me.

I always feel sorry for my dog if/when I leave him at home. He would rather come with me and stay in his crate in the car, than stay at home. (of course, I consider weather) He is hyper when at home, but in stores he's great. He's 70lbs, too, so not a purse dog. I would scold him without mercy if he ever growled or did any aggressive act. (without there being a reason, obviously) I would NOT put up with that regardless of size. He's a wonderful pet and I love taking him around with us. Sometimes it's a bit of a bother, but why have him if I'm gonna never take him out for fun? I try to never put him in other's ways... if they aren't comfortable with dogs... I think he could have made a great service dog!! :)

Guess I don't get the taking your pet to the store thing. I grew up with dogs. Sure they miss us when we were gone, but we didn't take them to the store, work, or school. You came home, took care of them, played with them, and took them for walks. You just didn't take them out like they were a three year old.

Hang on . . .

I'll be completely honest and say that I really don't like dogs around when I'm out and about. Now, if your dog is so well behaved that I don't even know it's there, then fine. (However, we don't have any allergy issues.) But I am sooooo tired of dog owners acting like their dog running up to my kids, or licking them, or whatever, is the cutest thing in the universe. Again, I have a dog, but other than hikes on open space trails where dogs are allowed, or on leash walks around the neighborhood, I don't bring her anywhere. (Dh brings her to work with him, but they train service dogs for the blind and dogs are of course welcome there.)

I find the pet supply stores the worst, because everyone assumes that their dogs can do whatever they want in there since everyone in there must love dogs. I really get annoyed when I'm trying to read dog food labels or waiting in line and a dog is rubbing up against my leg or sniffing the bone in my hand or whatever else.

I'm really not a dog hater - I just don't like uninvited dog interactions. But, that's just my own personal issue. No one ever said I get to go through life without ever being annoyed. :)

As someone who once got an emotional support lizard into public housing, I am perhaps a little bit biased on the concept. :coolgleamA: There's some misinformation in this thread, but it's totally understandable since the law in this area is in such constant flux. (Service animals don't need to wear vests, or have undergone any particular type of certified training-- training by the owner can even suffice; emotional support animals are not required to be allowed into public accommodations, though they can be required to be allowed in certain types of housing; etc.)

Vests and official-looking IDs are often used in my experience just to make a service animal look more official, to head off at the pass any complaints from store clerks and the like.

I can understand scoffing at claims that pets are service or emotional support animals, especially with the widespread abuse of these concepts. The less snuggly and fluffy an animal, the more the scoffing becomes reasonable on a common-sense basis. All I can say is that some people really have bona fide clinical depression or other issues (which can even include chronic pain according to the evolving law on the subject) and really do get some relief from their companion animals, and would be devastated without them.

Edited by Iucounu

Um, my dentist's office let a lady bring her dog in today.

It was weird.

And NO, it wasn't a service dog. Just the lady's dog. Her and her friend/roommate whatever brought it in. The one lady sat in the waiting room with it while the other lady got her work done.

It was weird. I asked my hygenist about it, and she was very diplomatic and sweet. Apparently it's just really important to the lady that her dog goes EVERYWHERE with her.

Still, I don't particularly want a dog in my dentist's office. I don't like dogs. There, I said it. And while I respect that others are more than within their rights to have a pet, I think it's reasonable to assume I shouldn't have to interact with/put up with a dog at the dentist. It's just weird.

I know business owners that love to have certain people bring in their dogs when they come for an appointment. My dear friend takes hers to her doctor's office-he is a big dog lover. So my thought is it is the dentist's right to allow it in his private business as well. There are things I don't like, but feel it is not my right to tell most any private business what they can and can't allow in their offices-as long as it is legal

Therapy dog does NOT equal a service dog.

Therapy dogs do NOT have public access rights. In other words, if that dog was a "therapy dog" it did not have a "right" to be in the laundromat. Therapy dogs have permission to go to places such as librarys, nursing homes, etc (with those settings permission only, they still just can't walk in just because they want to.

Any animal can no longer be a service animal, the definition has been changed to "service DOG" within the last year.

A place of business can not ask what ones disability is, they can ask "what skills, assistance does the dog provide for you".

Like someone else mentioned, my daughter's service dog is EXTREMELY well trained, well groomed, and we make a point of being considerate of others. It is those that abuse the system, purchase vests online, etc that make it difficult for my daughter and her dog.

Guess I don't get the taking your pet to the store thing. I grew up with dogs. Sure they miss us when we were gone, but we didn't take them to the store, work, or school. You came home, took care of them, played with them, and took them for walks. You just didn't take them out like they were a three year old.

:iagree: And I have two dogs.

Hang on . . .

Well, first off, here, the dog would not be allowed in any of the places you listed, with the sole exception of PetSmart or similar. Only working Service dogs are allowed in public places.

And honestly, I don't think that pets should be allowed. Not everyone's pet is well trained, ppl have allergies, fears, etc.

Animals do not have the rights of ppl, and ppl should always come first, w/out question.

Service dogs are trained to help people with needs in certain specific ways-think seeing eye dog, wheelchair assistance dog, and yes some social help dogs such as for people with autism. They go through extensive training and they are allowed entrance into about everywhere.

I have had 4 registered therapy dogs. I still have one, but he is elderly and mostly retired. They also had extensive obedience instruction, went through a special training and evaluation class that both the dog and I had to pass as a team. We are now registered with a therapy dog organization that insures us when we are on official visits as long as we follow the extensive list of rules in the rule book. A lot of facilities allow us to come-hospitals, nursing homes, schools... but no business has to let us in. Usually we have to show our therapy dog registration proof and also health records before starting to visit somewhere.

The lady mentioned by the op would not be tolerated by any therapy dog registry I have known or been a member of. That behavior was completely unacceptable-and particularly so if the dog had been registered. At any rate-the dog would not have been there on official business and thus not insured.

Therapy dog does NOT equal a service dog.

Therapy dogs do NOT have public access rights. In other words, if that dog was a "therapy dog" it did not have a "right" to be in the laundromat. Therapy dogs have permission to go to places such as librarys, nursing homes, etc (with those settings permission only, they still just can't walk in just because they want to.

Any animal can no longer be a service animal, the definition has been changed to "service DOG" within the last year.

A place of business can not ask what ones disability is, they can ask "what skills, assistance does the dog provide for you".

Like someone else mentioned, my daughter's service dog is EXTREMELY well trained, well groomed, and we make a point of being considerate of others. It is those that abuse the system, purchase vests online, etc that make it difficult for my daughter and her dog.

Do you have a link to these laws? I ask because there seems to be a lot of misconceptions by those that have owner proclaimed therapy dogs (some are legit, but I'm referring to those that aren't).

I'll be completely honest and say that I really don't like dogs around when I'm out and about. Now, if your dog is so well behaved that I don't even know it's there, then fine. (However, we don't have any allergy issues.) But I am sooooo tired of dog owners acting like their dog running up to my kids, or licking them, or whatever, is the cutest thing in the universe. Again, I have a dog, but other than hikes on open space trails where dogs are allowed, or on leash walks around the neighborhood, I don't bring her anywhere. (Dh brings her to work with him, but they train service dogs for the blind and dogs are of course welcome there.)

I find the pet supply stores the worst, because everyone assumes that their dogs can do whatever they want in there since everyone in there must love dogs. I really get annoyed when I'm trying to read dog food labels or waiting in line and a dog is rubbing up against my leg or sniffing the bone in my hand or whatever else.

I'm really not a dog hater - I just don't like uninvited dog interactions. But, that's just my own personal issue. No one ever said I get to go through life without ever being annoyed. :)

I agree with this and I think this is a pretty common feeling. I'm actually a pet lover, but many people aren't. Even being a pet lover, I don't want to have unrequested interactions with other people's pets in restaurants, grocery stores, clothing stores and the like. If your pet is on leash, and doesn't interact with me or deposit anything, I guess I don't care and may not even notice. But I don't see that it is necessary to bring your pet to most stores, restaurants and public places. So if there are even 5 or 10 percent of the people it bothers (allegies, fears, worries about soiling), I'm not sure why people do it. Get a breed that matches the amount of time you can spend exercising it in the normal ways.

:iagree: Exactly. :glare:

Hang on . . .

when the old timer was younger. I don't see any problem with taking a dog where it is allowed. that is way different than trying to sneak it in where it is not allowed. Taking a dog like the op stated anywhere is obnoxious. Any therapy dog registry I know would drop that dog in a heartbeat.

It is also rude to expect people to leave their dogs home from somewhere they are allowed just because you don't like dogs. I don't like a lot of things and have to suck it up and deal all the time-such is life. I know some have valid concerns such as allergies. Well-you can have allergies to most anything. My mom has bad reactions to some who wear perfume. That is not the fault of the person wearing the perfume and Mom doesn't expect a perfume prohibition to go to a park, market... Some people have phobias-once again not the fault of the dog or owner while out in public. I had some lady at an antique tractor show flip out and jump up on tables of displays due to a phobia of dogs triggered by my dogs. I did hurry out of that building asap to stop the scene, but did not feel responsible at all for her issue. That is hers to deal with.

I saw someone post that people should always come first-and for the most part I agree. However, If I went about life worrying about every little thing that might affect someone else I would get nothing done and never leave home. There is no reason we can't just live and let live.

Do you have a link to these laws? I ask because there seems to be a lot of misconceptions by those that have owner proclaimed therapy dogs (some are legit, but I'm referring to those that aren't).

http://www.iaadp.org/doj-def-comments-Title-II-III-SA.html

<snip>

Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

(2) Exceptions. A public accommodation may ask an individual with a disability to remove a service animal from the premises if:

(i) The animal is out of control and the animal´s handler does not take effective action to control it; or

(ii) The animal is not housebroken.

(6) Inquiries. A public accommodation shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person´s disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public accommodation may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person´s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

Edited by zimom

when the old timer was younger. I don't see any problem with taking a dog where it is allowed. that is way different than trying to sneak it in where it is not allowed. Taking a dog like the op stated anywhere is obnoxious. Any therapy dog registry I know would drop that dog in a heartbeat.

It is also rude to expect people to leave their dogs home from somewhere they are allowed just because you don't like dogs. I don't like a lot of things and have to suck it up and deal all the time-such is life. I know some have valid concerns such as allergies. Well-you can have allergies to most anything. My mom has bad reactions to some who wear perfume. That is not the fault of the person wearing the perfume and Mom doesn't expect a perfume prohibition to go to a park, market... Some people have phobias-once again not the fault of the dog or owner while out in public. I had some lady at an antique tractor show flip out and jump up on tables of displays due to a phobia of dogs triggered by my dogs. I did hurry out of that building asap to stop the scene, but did not feel responsible at all for her issue. That is hers to deal with.

I saw someone post that people should always come first-and for the most part I agree. However, If I went about life worrying about every little thing that might affect someone else I would get nothing done and never leave home. There is no reason we can't just live and let live.

I totally agree that Service Animals should be where ever they are needed, and legally allowed to be (which here, is everywhere).

Big diff w/pets. There is no reason that pets (*not* Service animals) need to be everywhere. None. And again, here in Canada, they're prohibited, w/the exception of places like PetSmart, unless they are an approved Service animal.

I honestly don't even have a problem with dogs going out with their owners. I like dogs, and if a dog is well-behaved, it doesn't bother me in the least. I love to stop and scratch a stranger's dog if it runs up to me for a snuggle.

I think I just need to find a new laundromat. This is the same place where I've had to bodily block my computer bag from a screaming three-year-old that was trying to pull it off my table while his mom calmly watched. Something about the location must attract wackaloons. The washers and dryers are very shiny, maybe that's it... :tongue_smilie:

http://www.iaadp.org/doj-def-comments-Title-II-III-SA.html

<snip>

Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

(2) Exceptions. A public accommodation may ask an individual with a disability to remove a service animal from the premises if:

(i) The animal is out of control and the animal´s handler does not take effective action to control it; or

(ii) The animal is not housebroken.

(6) Inquiries. A public accommodation shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person´s disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public accommodation may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person´s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

Thank you :)

Is there anywhere that addresses "therapy dogs" as opposed to "service dogs"?

I totally agree that Service Animals should be where ever they are needed, and legally allowed to be (which here, is everywhere).

Big diff w/pets. There is no reason that pets (*not* Service animals) need to be everywhere. None. And again, here in Canada, they're prohibited, w/the exception of places like PetSmart, unless they are an approved Service animal.

you can't ever take your pet to any park? or any private business that allows it? or take it for a walk on your sidewalk or down your dirt road? or to an event on private property such as I mentioned the tractor show in a pp? If not- I'm glad I don't live there in Canada-not for this dog issue specifically, but for the level of control they apparently have over private property. I did see you mentioned everywhere-and I haven't seen anyone on here say they think personal pets should be allowed everywhere.

you can't ever take your pet to any park? or any private business that allows it? or take it for a walk on your sidewalk or down your dirt road? or to an event on private property such as I mentioned the tractor show in a pp? If not- I'm glad I don't live there in Canada-not for this dog issue specifically, but for the level of control they apparently have over private property. I did see you mentioned everywhere-and I haven't seen anyone on here say they think personal pets should be allowed everywhere.

She said there is no reason for them to be allowed "everywhere". She did NOT say that there is no reason for them to be allowed "anywhere". In other words, there are places where it's fine and other places where you would not/should not expect them to be unless they are service animals. (aka, I really don't think it's a good idea for someone's teacup chihuahua to be carried into a buffet and carried around the buffet and sat on the table to be fed their food from the buffet, etc...however, take your dog for a walk, to the park, or even to petsmart).

Edited by mommaduck

I honestly don't even have a problem with dogs going out with their owners. I like dogs, and if a dog is well-behaved, it doesn't bother me in the least. I love to stop and scratch a stranger's dog if it runs up to me for a snuggle.

I think I just need to find a new laundromat. This is the same place where I've had to bodily block my computer bag from a screaming three-year-old that was trying to pull it off my table while his mom calmly watched. Something about the location must attract wackaloons. The washers and dryers are very shiny, maybe that's it... :tongue_smilie:

that dog and owner-maybe the owner more- were obnoxious and should be prohibited from coming to the laundromat by the owner of that business. If it is a therapy dog-you can ask to see the identification. Most everyone I know has it on them. Mine looks like a double business card folded with my name and dog's name and breed and file number plus contact info for the therapy dog organization. They would most likely love to be contacted to pull that person's membership with that dog-or at least investigate it further. I also know a lot of people that train service dogs as puppy raisers. Some of them have gotten the dog back due to it's inability to behave properly in public. For instance one got so protective of it's owner-that it had to be pulled from service and replaced with another dog. If it was truly a service dog-those organizations would not approve of that behavior either.

btw-I haven't have good luck at any laundromat I have ever gone to-there were some strange folks... or maybe that was just me-lol

I know business owners that love to have certain people bring in their dogs when they come for an appointment. My dear friend takes hers to her doctor's office-he is a big dog lover. So my thought is it is the dentist's right to allow it in his private business as well. There are things I don't like, but feel it is not my right to tell most any private business what they can and can't allow in their offices-as long as it is legal

Sure. I mean, I totally get that my dentist can allow dogs, cats, llamas, whatever he wants in his office.

I'm just wondering if he realizes that at least SOME people find it annoying and/or gross, and might consider changing practices because of it. Maybe he does realized that, and doesn't care. Totally his right; I just see it as bad business.

But honestly, my dentist could let a traveling circus occupy his lobby, and I'd still go there. I'd just wait in my car to be called back. :tongue_smilie: I have dental phobia, and found a dentist I'm comfortble with; I NEVER want to have to switch.

Sure. I mean, I totally get that my dentist can allow dogs, cats, llamas, whatever he wants in his office.

I'm just wondering if he realizes that at least SOME people find it annoying and/or gross, and might consider changing practices because of it. Maybe he does realized that, and doesn't care. Totally his right; I just see it as bad business.

But honestly, my dentist could let a traveling circus occupy his lobby, and I'd still go there. I'd just wait in my car to be called back. :tongue_smilie: I have dental phobia, and found a dentist I'm comfortble with; I NEVER want to have to switch.

do know some people won't come due to that-and that some people come because they can bring dogs or like to see them there. Some dear friends had their own dogs in their store and friends were welcome to bring their dogs when they came. The store dogs didn't ever bother anyone and come from benind the counter unless invited.

She said there is no reason for them to be allowed "everywhere". She did NOT say that there is no reason for them to be allowed "anywhere". In other words, there are places where it's fine and other places where you would not/should not expect them to be unless they are service animals. (aka, I really don't think it's a good idea for someone's teacup chihuahua to be carried into a buffet and carried around the buffet and sat on the table to be fed their food from the buffet, etc...however, take your dog for a walk, to the park, or even to petsmart).

she said any public places with the exception of petsmart... I also am pretty sure it is against the health code most anywhere in the US to take non-service animals to any restaurant/ grocery store...except maybe those with outdoor seating like on a patio.

she said any public places with the exception of petsmart... I also am pretty sure it is against the health code most anywhere in the US to take non-service animals to any restaurant/ grocery store...except maybe those with outdoor seating like on a patio.

And yet, what has been happening lately is that if a person is confronted about said offending animal in a food establishment, the animal is suddenly a "therapeutic animal" :glare:

Common sense would also note that Imp was not referring to not being allowed to walk your dog or take it to the park.

And yet, what has been happening lately is that if a person is confronted about said offending animal in a food establishment, the animal is suddenly a "therapeutic animal" :glare:

Common sense would also note that Imp was not referring to not being allowed to walk your dog or take it to the park.

Yes. Which sort of makes me wonder why Weaver is trying to prove Imp wrong. Weren't we having a friendly discussion here?

Well, first off, here, the dog would not be allowed in any of the places you listed, with the sole exception of PetSmart or similar. Only working Service dogs are allowed in public places.

And honestly, I don't think that pets should be allowed. Not everyone's pet is well trained, ppl have allergies, fears, etc.

Animals do not have the rights of ppl, and ppl should always come first, w/out question.

:iagree:. Exactly what I was thinking but she said it better.

Bingo.

There is 0 need for a pet to be in a store (again, exceptions are made at PetSmart, etc). Absolutely no need for a pet to be in a restaraunt, grocery store, farmer's market (I'm thinking the indoor ones), etc.

I also don't think pets should be in hospitals either. Notice I said *pets* not service/therapy animals.

Pets are lovely. I have a huge dog (Great Pyr x Akbash). She's wonderful. I've also had a pug that was amazing.

But, just b/c they're adored pets does not make it right to be bringing them everywhere. Again, here laws are very strict on where they're allowed to be, and I'm glad for it.

Frankly, I find too many pet owners to be completely lax about training and socializing their animals, expecting others to just deal.

Here is my question:

Who is liable when the dog bites someone or is injured itself (in a random laundry room accident)?

The business for allowing it?

The owner for insisting it?

Except for the fact that I hate insurance and hate people ruining GOOD things (service animals), perhaps there should be a bond required for people to have animals in public places as a helper.

You know, a really low bond for the trained ones, and a high bond for the non trained ones and fine for not having one (bond)-- perhaps this will deterr the pets going everywhere.

I, too, do not like pets everywhere. I don't think it is good for the animals to be taken everywhere. A lot of people that have teacup dogs treat them as children and they are poorly trained. Pets are pets, not children OR fashion accessories.

Lara

I guess I'll tippie toe out on a limb and admit I'm one of those crazy people who takes their dog everywhere. I have a small dog, and I think he's well behaved. Our Wal Mart, Home Depot, and lots of open air restaurants allow pets. I guess I don't see the point in being annoyed when pets are ALLOWED.

If pets aren't allowed, I usually don't go or make sure someone else is home to watch him. I may be/sound insane, but I consider him to be part of my family and can't imagine just leaving him at home by himself if I can help it. I for one am not fond of most children I encounter out and about, but I certainly don't think they should be banned, LOL.

I guess I don't understand when someone says pets don't NEED to be here or there. Does anyone or anything NEED to be anywhere? Sometimes yes, but mostly no. Oh well.

I guess I'll tippie toe out on a limb and admit I'm one of those crazy people who takes their dog everywhere. I have a small dog, and I think he's well behaved. Our Wal Mart, Home Depot, and lots of open air restaurants allow pets. I guess I don't see the point in being annoyed when pets are ALLOWED.

If pets aren't allowed, I usually don't go or make sure someone else is home to watch him. I may be/sound insane, but I consider him to be part of my family and can't imagine just leaving him at home by himself if I can help it. I for one am not fond of most children I encounter out and about, but I certainly don't think they should be banned, LOL.

I guess I don't understand when someone says pets don't NEED to be here or there. Does anyone or anything NEED to be anywhere? Sometimes yes, but mostly no. Oh well.

IMO, there in lies the problem. You are trying to equate children/people to an animal. Fine a well loved pet. I love my dogs! But they are not people.

I am wondering if your wal-mart, home depot are REALLY pet friendly or are they SERVICE animal friendly? I cannot imagine that any grocery store is really allowed to accept pets. Should I bring my 2 big burly labs, just because they are my beloved pets and I think they are well behaved? Can you imagine if even only 5 out of 10 people that went to a store brought their pets??

IMO, bringing your pets everywhere is basically thumbing your nose to everyone else saying the rules do not apply to you.

It actually doesn't bother me, per se. However, it's nice to know where they are allowed and where they aren't. The law should be clear on therapeutic dogs and doctors should not be allowed to write things willy-nilly. Business owners should have the right to request any disruptive animal be removed without fear.

Since when does Walmart and home depot openly allow pets? Walmart has food. I don't want some random dog next to the vegetables. Gross.

Thank you :)

Is there anywhere that addresses "therapy dogs" as opposed to "service dogs"?

I finally found this for you. Hope it helps:

http://www.deltasociety.org/Page.aspx?pid=303

<snip>

Service Animals are legally defined (Americans With Disabilities Act, 1990) and are trained to meet the disability-related needs of their handlers who have disabilities. Federal laws protect the rights of individuals with disabilities to be accompanied by their service animals in public places. Service animals are not considered 'pets'.

Therapy Animals are not legally defined by federal law, but some states have laws defining therapy animals. They provide people with contact to animals, but are not limited to working with people who have disabilities. They are usually the personal pets of their handlers, and work with their handlers to provide services to others. Federal laws have no provisions for people to be accompanied by therapy animals in places of public accommodation that have "no pets" policies. Therapy animals usually are not service animals.

<snip>

Again, if I may stress since the term has been used over and over, a therapy dog is NOT a service/assistance dog and therefore does NOT have public access rights. To put it bluntly, it is pet that supposedly has a good temperment, therefore should be good to work in settings such as a hospital, 'Read with Rover' at the library, etc. A service/assistance dog has been specially trained to assist the person it is helping (blind, deaf, mobility, seizures, autism, etc.)

off my soapbox

Mom to three including a pretty spectacular 8 y.o. and her service dog :)

IMO, there in lies the problem. You are trying to equate children/people to an animal. Fine a well loved pet. I love my dogs! But they are not people.

I am wondering if your wal-mart, home depot are REALLY pet friendly or are they SERVICE animal friendly? I cannot imagine that any grocery store is really allowed to accept pets. Should I bring my 2 big burly labs, just because they are my beloved pets and I think they are well behaved? Can you imagine if even only 5 out of 10 people that went to a store brought their pets??

IMO, bringing your pets everywhere is basically thumbing your nose to everyone else saying the rules do not apply to you.

Since when does Walmart and home depot openly allow pets? Walmart has food. I don't want some random dog next to the vegetables. Gross.

:iagree: Same reason I don't want pets at my dentist's office; I think it's gross.

This dog was not well behaved. It whined and wiggled the whole time, and kept trying to get down. Plus, PLUS, the lady got a disposable cup of water for the dog to drink out of, then LEFT that cup on the waiting room table when she left.

Gross.

Exactly.

Our Home Depot does allow pets. Always I guess, I'm not sure since when. I see other dogs there, not just mine. The Wal Mart that allows pets is an older one, not a Super one with groceries, maybe that's why. I don't "sneak" him anywhere, like I said, I take him places he's allowed to go. That's what I don't understand, if pets are allowed, why be disgruntled that they are there?

I don't spend much time in places that aren't pet friendly, so you probably won't risk running into me. :)

Service animals should almost be invisible. The ones I've met ignore other people/animals and are focused solely on their owner. They are working and they know it.

Exactly! I can't tell you the number of times we have gotten up to leave a restaurant and those that have come in after us will start laughing when my daughter's dog will come out from under the table. They never knew she was there, which is how it is suppose to be.

I'm not a dog person, but don't mind cute little dogs here and there. That being said, I am getting tired of dogs popping up where you didn't use to see them. We had some printing work done a few weeks ago and they had two dogs walking around the office. Cute, but uncalled for in a business. I also don't agree with dogs on airplanes. The past two trips we have gone on we have seen little dogs in carriers around the airport and on the plane. What if someone has allergies on the planes? Rhe airlines cater to peanut allergies, but let dogs in the cabin?

Again, the laws are different here.

Pets are not allowed at the Walmart here, nor the Home Depot. All stores I've ever seen have the signs on the door saying shirts have to be worn, shoes have to be worn, pets prohibited. Same w/restaraunt patios.

And as others have already said, pets are not children.