Menu

What do you want in a Science Curriculum?

Happy Scientist

The folks over in the General Board have been incredibly helpful in getting me started towards developing a strong science curriculum, and they suggested that I move the conversation over here, where it really belongs.

First, I am not here to advertise or to promote my site. I know that quite a few of you already watch the videos, etc., and I am hoping to pick your brains in order to make the site more useful for the homeschool community.

I am trying to get a feel for what you need from a science curriculum. Would you rather have one website that had everything? Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those? How do you feel about broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time? What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now? What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

I know that there have been past threads on what the perfect science curriculum would be, and I have been digging through those, but nothing beats real interaction, so I am all ears! :bigear: Let me know what you really want.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... this may sound contradictory, but a laid out inquiry based science. Something that uses books to learn about topics and lists the materials to give to the students. I would love to do inquiry based, but feel like I don't have the time to adequately plan, research books, etc. Something that gave me a base to do that from would be perfect.

I have some books that are now OOP from a series called Examining Your Environment, which has a very robust number of exercises and thoughtful, deep activities on a number of different topics (mapping, local ecology, snow and ice, dandelions, small animals, pollution), that I think are rather inspiring, but they don't have the kids come up with all the activities, which I know some people want. Their age level is maybe grades 3-5. This sort of intelligent suggestion of activities, I was rather fond of. But it's a bit too piecemeal.

Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those?

I'd rather have a main spine with good ideas keyed to them. And I really like it when the experiments are written (at least summarized with a supplies list) in the text, rather than just a bare link / reference. That makes it faster to narrow down what I can do.

And maybe a cliff notes type lesson for me? Or a name of a book and chapter to read for background information at an adult layman's level.

And maybe a list of 'optional' activities. Like discovery box ideas from the other thread (including a list of possible contents), living books at various age levels. Review questions for previous lessons would also help for the days I can't think.

How do you feel about broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time?

Sounds like a good idea. I am using BFSU that way, we start with strand A (physical science I think?), then do D (earth) and C (chemical) in the winter, so that in spring / summer we are in B (life science). (I'm going off memory, so I might have the letters off.)

What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now? What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

I'm using BFSU. I love the experiments in BFSU - the try it first, explain it second approach. I like that it stays in the observable, things that are real to my kids. The supplies are very common - I only had to buy straws and rubber bands! I do wish it was more scannable and had the lesson numbers more obvious so I could find the right lesson quickly. And a picture / drawing / image once in a while might be nice. (I'm a visual learner.)

I really need something to teach me how to teach the kids.

Ahh, the perfect science program . . . I'm trying to figure this out myself as we go along, but here's what I've got so far:

1) it would be secular. It would include information on all current, generally accepted scientific theories. It wouldn't skirt or ignore things like evolution, cosmology, human origins, etc. in an effort to be noncontroversial or widely appealing.

2) it would include a solid mix of content and inquiry/investigation. The content could be presented in a variety of media (i.e. via living books reccomendations/lists, videos, web-based content), but would not look or feel texty. A spine with a lot of outside content recommended would be perfect. Even better would be a spine with content recommendations for different ages/grade levels, so that you could easily tailor lessons to more than one student.

3) The inquiry/investigation would a) begin with a clear explanation of the scientific method, b) include true experiments, rather than just a bunch of demos, *and clearly differentiate between the two*, and c) would be clearly connected to the concept being taught.

4) it would be straightforward to implement with one or a few students. I use BFSU, and admire it deeply, and it has a lot of what I'm asking for, but it is not straightforward to implement, and some of the activities are a little tricky to make robust with a single student. I'm catching on to how to make it work, but I described this program in an earlier post as "slippery", and I still think that's a good description.

Okay, I'm sure I want more than that, but those are the burning issues . . .

I would love something you could use on different levels. I also may be out of the norm. but I would love something simple. I am not saying to take away the depth but something with the information needed to teach the lessons self contained and then extra resources optional. I agree I would love something that gives enough of a background, written simple enough for me to understand it, for me to be able to teach the lesson. I would love something that was written more from a neutral POV. Although we are Christian, I would rather have something that presents concrete facts rather than beliefs either way. Lots of experiments but also optional so on those busy days you don't have to do them to get the point across. Lastly for us, and the most important, it needs to be affordable. I know alot of parents just can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on one subject. So there you go, my perfect curriculum.

Ahh, the perfect science program . . . I'm trying to figure this out myself as we go along, but here's what I've got so far:

1) it would be secular. It would include information on all current, generally accepted scientific theories. It wouldn't skirt or ignore things like evolution, cosmology, human origins, etc. in an effort to be noncontroversial or widely appealing.

2) it would include a solid mix of content and inquiry/investigation. The content could be presented in a variety of media (i.e. via living books reccomendations/lists, videos, web-based content), but would not look or feel texty. A spine with a lot of outside content recommended would be perfect. Even better would be a spine with content recommendations for different ages/grade levels, so that you could easily tailor lessons to more than one student.

3) The inquiry/investigation would a) begin with a clear explanation of the scientific method, b) include true experiments, rather than just a bunch of demos, *and clearly differentiate between the two*, and c) would be clearly connected to the concept being taught.

4) it would be straightforward to implement with one or a few students. I use BFSU, and admire it deeply, and it has a lot of what I'm asking for, but it is not straightforward to implement, and some of the activities are a little tricky to make robust with a single student. I'm catching on to how to make it work, but I described this program in an earlier post as "slippery", and I still think that's a good description.

Okay, I'm sure I want more than that, but those are the burning issues . . .

Should have read yours first. This sounds great too!

What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now? What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

I realized I didn't finish addressing this question: I have also used RS4K Chemistry Level 1, and I have Biology Level 1 and am incorporating it with our BFSU study. What I like about RS4K is the text. I don't like texts, I'm not looking for a text for subjects I know a lot about (like biology), but as texts go this was great for my 3rd/4th grader. I like that it had real science terminology, talked about real concepts in science, in an interesting engaging and straightforward way that my kid could totally follow. Sooooo much better than the texts my dd had brought home from ps. I hate the way ps teaches science.

The labs were just okay. DD loved doing the experiments, but the labs were guilty of all the things I complained about in my pp - there was no initial explanation of the scientific method, it wasn't always clear how the experiment tied to the chapter, or even what the objective was or what the hypothesis should be. It was fun messy kitchen play time, with lots of aha moments (gotta love mixing baking soda and vinegar!) but I don't think she got much out of it, either about chemistry or about scientific investigation. This was a disappointment. I'm still looking for good science labs/investigation & experimentation program. NOT JUST A BUNCH OF DEMOS!!! (yes, I know, I shouted - sorry). :D

Now, my beef with RS4K biology was that it is woefully incomplete. This is probably just because I am a biologist - I am sure physicists and chemists would have the same criticism of the other programs! ;) I'm using it, completely out of order, to supplement our BFSU thread B studies. Again, the text seems well done so far, for a text.

Hope that helps.

I really am liking the Apologia Elementary Series b/c it is Creation/Young Earth based, the notebooking journal is beautiful and includes lapbooking, and kits with all the supplies are available so it is super easy for me to use. Soon audios will be available which may make it that much more easy to use. My one and only complaint right now is that the kids don't retain enough. But I'm not really sure how to fix this. It doesn't seem to be the goal for the author for them to retain so much but to be exposed to it. And if they make this journal and they look at it in the future hopefully that will jar their memory. And we're doing CC so I feel like we've memorized quite a few key facts about anatomy (out topic for this year) already. So, maybe it isn't necessary but I think I would have some component of memory work along with it somehow if I were to "improve" it. I would want a Science curriculum to be complete, meaning it covers Biology (anatomy, zoology, and botany), ecology, earth science/geology, physics, chemistry, and astronomy which eventually Apologia would be.

stm4him

I'd like to see a science curriculum that focuses on scientific literacy and is meant to prepare a student for non lab junior college science classes like nutrition and environmental science.

Lets face it, most homeschool students do NOT go directly from homeschool to a 4 year college. So very many of them end out pursuing a 2 year junior college degree. There is not a single curriculum designed to best prepare them for that.

They need to learn to read, write and do math. They need to learn to write a research paper and to understand and create graphs. They need enough basic scientific literacy to read the newspaper and to understand the world around them enough to make wise choices.

So much time and money is wasted on high school science and so very little is accomplished. Too many families send their children back to PS just because of their unfounded science fears.

I want a meaty k-1 science program that includes engaging text and photos, plus age-appropriate hands-on activities as well as paper-based activities that keep writing to a bare minimum (because the skills aren't there yet). Plus, I want it pretty and tied up nicely with a bow. In other words, I want the text in an easy-to-read font, line spacing that's easy on the eyes and plenty of white space on every page. I want to like looking at it. I want every lesson to read like simple recipe. :001_smile:

Would you rather have one website that had everything? Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those? Honestly, I'm fine with a website that has everything, or that I can order all the books and materials through so I can make sure I get everything I need and not too much of any item. I've got far more paper plates than I'll use in a year, and far too much Ivory Snow soap and calcium carbonate. :tongue_smilie: If I were to pick my perfect curriculum, it would have videos, supplemental books and a kit with all the items necessary for the course.

How do you feel about broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time? Truthfullly, I don't need it, I have one child. It might be nice to go back and do the higher level material once I've covered all the topics at the current level, assuming the information is covered in a cyclical manner, however.

What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now? We're using Intellego unit studies. It has lots of hands on interaction, uses different materials, such as books and internet links.

What do you dislike most about that curriculum? No materials kit! I've got a bunch of styrofoam balls that aren't going to be used, and I still have to go out and buy supplies for other experiments.

Everything Rose and thowell said, plus...

OK, this is going to be hard to explain and elaborate on. My ideal science curriculum (hereafter referred to as MISC) would have programs from grades 1-12, thereby allowing the student to experience a comprehensive, full program, without a weird transition from "elementary school science" to "high school science". BUT, MISC would also be designed so students can start the program easily in grade 7... since I know many families who just do nature studies and eclectic/hodgepodge science in "elementary school" and then want a program running from grades 7-12.

However... instead of just having a 7th grade program, 8th grade program, etc., MISC would offer its programs with recommended age ranges, so students could work at their own level and pace, and so that students within 2-3 years of age could do science together.

And yes, I would LOVE an inquiry-based laid-out science program. I think a decent way to do this would be to have programs covering the same topics, but coming from different perspectives based on student interests. So for example: a student fascinated by astronomy might take a program with a title such as Middle School Physics: Focus on Astronomy which presents physics in the context of astronomy (so... uh... astrophysics, I guess). But a student who is into marine biology might take Middle School Physics: Focus on Oceans. And both of those programs would cover the same physics topics! I realize that this could quickly lead into having four million versions of each program, which is why it's an IDEA, not reality. But really. Maybe have around three or four versions of each program? :glare:

Two more notes: 1. I am a big fan of a four-days-a-week science program. 2. High school science should be every bit as fun, experiment-oriented, and "living"/Charlotte Mason-y as elementary school science! Which educator decided that all high school science should be textbook-based?

Sorry this answer is so long and disorganized!

- Hadassah

The folks over in the General Board have been incredibly helpful in getting me started towards developing a strong science curriculum, and they suggested that I move the conversation over here, where it really belongs.

First, I am not here to advertise or to promote my site. I know that quite a few of you already watch the videos, etc., and I am hoping to pick your brains in order to make the site more useful for the homeschool community.

I am trying to get a feel for what you need from a science curriculum. Would you rather have one website that had everything? Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those? How do you feel about broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time? What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now? What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

I know that there have been past threads on what the perfect science curriculum would be, and I have been digging through those, but nothing beats real interaction, so I am all ears! :bigear: Let me know what you really want.

I would only choose a Broad Spectrum program because it is difficult to find enough time in the day to cover different sciences for different kids. I use Real Science Odyssey and then make it meatier for my 7th grader, using KingFisher and having him research and complete reports. Where it sometimes falls apart is with experiments. It is hard to find labs that fit a young 3rd grader and a 7th grader. Right now I use BrainPop for ideas, and memberships to the nearest Science museums within driving distance.

My other preference is for a spine. Even if was an E-book that I could download. I rarely use a complete computer based model because the best thing about homeschooling is the ability to mark things up, go down rabbit trails if something interests us, or skip something if I think it is redundant. It is hard to do that without the ability to make notes in the margins about other sources, highlight main points when my kiddo has summarized enough for one day but wants to keep going, or wants to curl up in his bed and read more on his own.

We are currently using Apologia Elementary Science: Flying Creatures. I switched from Elemental Science early on because I wanted something we could sit down and READ together. I'm also more into nature study (at this age) than experimentation. Unlike many Apologia users, we are not literal/YE Creationists, but we are observant Jews, so I enjoy the God focus and edit out the "Jesus bits" as I read.

Would you rather have one website that had everything? Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those?

The second choice! My ideal would be a hard-copy book, an actual book that would guide us through a year of science. A website to go along, with printables, videos, activities, etc., would be a nice bonus.

Broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time?

In theory, I like broad-spectrum. But I would still want a core text that everybody was snuggling up and reading together, much the way we do with history in Story of the World. I think one of the major struggles on the boards here is that parents and kids LOVE Story of the World and then they go looking for a science curriculum that's "exactly like that." Some say Elemental Science is like that; some say NOEO is... others say "spine-based" programs like Apologia come closest.

What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now?

Apologia Elementary: Doesn't talk down to kids and entrusts them with very real, very detailed information. Notebooking journal is a very helpful adjunct, and a beautiful way to keep track of what we're learning. Spiritual references keep our focus on the Creator behind the wonders of nature. Nice, solid, serious-looking book that wasn't overly expensive.

Evan-Moor Daily Science: It's easy - just print and go! No knowledge required on my part; it comes with teaching hints, though it's not scripted exactly. Inexpensive and available as a PDF so I can print just the sections I need.

What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

Apologia Elementary: The vocabulary is sometimes hard; sometimes it's too detailed and fact-filled, and less than fascinating. The YE Creationist aspect is a little surreal sometimes; I can't in good conscience teach them that dragons were dinosaurs or that mainstream science believes dinos and humans co-existed. The notebooking journal doesn't give enough space for the material covered in the related sections of the text.

Evan-Moor Daily Science: It's way too basic, and quite condescending and twaddlish, sometimes asking kids to write out words or match definitions that are defined at the top of the same page. My daughter finds it boring and irrelevant.

We are Happy Scientist subscribers, but I haven't used it much, because there is not much material specifically correlated with our Apologia science text. The kids loved your presentation on how to tell if a skeleton is a boy or girl, and also the insects-in-the umbrella one, so I'd adore more videos that WERE related to our science reading!!! Even my big teenagers wandered over to watch the videos, they're so compelling!

Let's see:

1.) Complete, all-in-one, 36-week program

2.) Includes lots of experiments, AND internet links to you performing each - with commentary.

3.) Lovely, age-appropriate, living books. No textbooks. And although I like Osborne books - not to many of these, please!

4.) User friendly Instructors Guide, laid out week-by-week, and day-by-day.

5.) Age ranges as per The Trivium.

6.) Optional Workbook or Notebook - should be parents choice.

7.) Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science - each a year long OR 1/2 a year each - for variety sake. These can also be combined to show the relationships between each area. Not to picky on this.

8.) A little bit of the history behind each discovery - as deemed age appropriate.

9.) Suggestions for additional DVD's, internet links, books, video clips, etc.

10.) I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love a science "core" where all our read aloud books (including fiction) sort of fits with the topic studied in science. I would be lovely if there could be some suggestions for all the electives as well, like art, technology, even music. I know this one is a big one - but if there were something like this, I know many people who would pay a lot of money for it! It should be like a complete Science School. Woo, just thinking about it gets me excited!

I'm glad, Mr. Kampf, that you are thinking about this. There is hope, after all!

You have impeccable timing. Seriously, I was JUST talking with my DH about this last night. I have 2 DDs (7 yo and 8 yo). Most good science materials are written at a level that is just above where my kids are at.

Anyway, here's my fantasy science curriculum:

I want for the 3 of us (me and my 2 DDs) to sit down and watch a video that explains the concept being studied and then shows how to do the experiment. I don't want the video to just be a teacher in front of a class at a chalkboard. Imagine a DK Eyewitness video and Sonlight Discover-and-Do video merging into one perfect whole. That's what I'm hoping to find.

I'd also like an experiment supply list, suggestions for further reading, student lab sheets, teaching notes (incl. vocabulary that's being introduced), and troubleshooting notes (in case the experiment bombs).

If it is online, I'd like the videos to be of reasonably high quality. They should still look nice at full screen. In other words, consider the cruddy quality of Discovery Education Streaming's videos and provide the opposite.

It would be great if you had a Roku channel or another way to make it easy to stream onto my TV.

Honestly though, my preference would be to have the videos on DVD. Also, it would be wonderful to be able to purchase a ready-made kit with everything needed for the experiments.

Hope this helps a little. Thanks for asking :)

ETA: I just went to check out your site. What a great resource! Subscribing soon :)

Edited by shinyhappypeople

First, thank you all for your feedback. I know that you are incredibly busy, and appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I look forward to hearing much more, but you have already given me a short term idea to consider.

As a first step, how would you feel about "overlays" for my site? By that, I mean that I would select several of the spines you are using, probably starting with BFSU since that seems to be popular, and key the videos, activities, etc. on my site to that spine. There would be a BFSU page, with something along the lines of:

Chapter 1:

• When you get to page 17, video X helps explain the concept.
  • When you get to page 20, video Y will introduce the next section.
  • If you want to do hands-on for this chapter, I recommend experiments A, B, and C, which will require the following materials.......
  • If you have students that need some remedial work for this chapter, have them watch videos M, N, and O.
  • If you have advanced students that want to go deeper into this subject, I recommend Study Unit Z and experiments T, R, and S, which will require the following materials.....
  • Recommended additional reading/viewing for students:
  • Recommended background reading/viewing for parents:

Repeat for Chapter 2, 3, etc.

From there, I would continue picking your brains for things to add, such as discovery box lists, field trip suggestions, real life applications, etc.

The thing that I like about this is that I can use the same resources to make an overlay for any other curriculum too. I already do that with the Florida State Science Standards, and am working on overlays for some of the more common textbooks used by public schools.

The overlays help me too, because they help me spot holes that need to be filled. I have a list of hundreds of videos that I want to make, and thousands of activities, experiments, and investigations. The hard part for me is deciding which to do next, and this could be just the guide that I need.

Overlays offer another advantage for me. I am working on a series of videos on fossils and evolution, which I expect to cause a large number of my homeschool subscribers and free viewers to abandon ship. If I can offer them an "evolution free" overlay, I may be able to keep many of them onboard for physical science, chemistry, etc.

Does that sound useful as a first step? Is BFSU a good starting spine? If so, I will buy a copy and get to work. It would be wonderful to have you critique it as it is built, to help me spot anything that could be improved.

Again, thank you for your kind help with this.

First, thank you all for your feedback. I know that you are incredibly busy, and appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I look forward to hearing much more, but you have already given me a short term idea to consider.

As a first step, how would you feel about "overlays" for my site? By that, I mean that I would select several of the spines you are using, probably starting with BFSU since that seems to be popular, and key the videos, activities, etc. on my site to that spine. There would be a BFSU page, with something along the lines of:

Chapter 1:

• If you want to do hands-on for this chapter, I recommend experiments A, B, and C, which will require the following materials.......

• If you have students that need some remedial work for this chapter, have them watch videos M, N, and O.

• If you have advanced students that want to go deeper into this subject, I recommend Study Unit Z and experiments T, R, and S, which will require the following materials.....

From there, I would continue picking your brains for things to add, such as discovery box lists, field trip suggestions, real life applications, etc.

The thing that I like about this is that I can use the same resources to make an overlay for any other curriculum too. I already do that with the Florida State Science Standards, and am working on overlays for some of the more common textbooks used by public schools.

The overlays help me too, because they help me spot holes that need to be filled. I have a list of hundreds of videos that I want to make, and thousands of activities, experiments, and investigations. The hard part for me is deciding which to do next, and this could be just the guide that I need.

Overlays offer another advantage for me. I am working on a series of videos on fossils and evolution, which I expect to cause a large number of my homeschool subscribers and free viewers to abandon ship. If I can offer them an "evolution free" overlay, I may be able to keep many of them onboard for physical science, chemistry, etc.

Does that sound useful as a first step? Is BFSU a good starting spine? If so, I will buy a copy and get to work. It would be wonderful to have you critique it as it is built, to help me spot anything that could be improved.

I think your idea is great. The biggest benefit I see is that you would be using a spine that is printed on-demand or available as a PDF, so it won't go out of print. However, the biggest complaint I have (and have seen others express) about BFSU is the format of the books. They are very good but also very dense and in need of a better layout (and significantly more white space on the page). I wonder if you would want to (or need to?) contact Nebel himself about this project. He loves science and has a mission. You love science and have a mission. You two could do amazing things for us together. :D

ETA: Your videos are wonderfully done. I watched your minerals videos with my kids. They loved them! My DD particularly adored the giant pink quartz your wife found, and literally gasped out loud at its beauty. :lol: They really want to know what the dark brown porcupine shaped mineral was though. Do you happen to recall?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I would also add 2 more things.

1) I would have some reasonably long biographies of famous scientists from the view point of showing how hard they had to work, how arduous the data collection could be, and how persistent they were. I would also include examples of the peer review process.

2) I would also develop an understanding of statistics. The typical US sequence of Math completely avoids statistics even though it is foundational to most sciences and social sciences. As it is not in the math curriculum, science curriculums must fill the gap. Statistics is required to understand why you replicate and to understand the scientific data that is reported on in the news.

I would start with averages in elementary, basic nonparametric statistics in Middle school, and t-tests and regression in high school. I would link the need for these tests with the experiments being done. The math does not need to be explained, but the thinking does.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

My daughters are completing the Identifying Minerals worksheet as we speak, and they're thoroughly enjoying it!

As we're working our way through the unit, one thing that would make it a bit easier for me would be the ability to print out all important printables at once, or at least have a handy list of linked sheets to click and print outside of the individual lesson pages.

As far as the content itself, we're having a blast, will be subscribing, and very much look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Would you rather have one website that had everything? Or would you rather use one or more books as a spine, and then have videos, experiments, etc. keyed to those?

I would rather have a spine and use the website to supplement that spine.

How do you feel about broad spectrum units, where students at different grade levels can study the same subject at the same time?

I have never seen one of these that was sufficiently challenging for the older students. Every time I come across a curriculum that's intended to be used across a broad age range, I'm shocked by the lack of rigor for the older students.

What do you like most about the curriculum you are using now?

The kids love the books (RS4K), and I feel that the labs really promote using the scientific method. I like that the kids are asked to make their own predictions about what will happen, and I like that there are discussion notes that give me things to say and directions to lead the discussion after we have completed the experiment. The notes often point out things I wouldn't have thought of to highlight.

What do you dislike most about that curriculum?

Each book is very short. I don't want to do two or more books a year; I just want to do one. So far the way things have worked out is that we do the book in about 15 weeks and then spend the rest of the year exploring various other topics the kids are interested in, doing activities from a science magazine we subscribe to, and reading science biographies.

This is just a personal thing, but I REALLY hate doing experiments. My kids love them, and I think they are learning from the RS4K ones, but honestly, many of the "experiments" we have done in the past were simply demonstrations, and I hate spending the time and money on things that might have some wow factor but don't actually teach the kids anything.

I want serious science that doesn't talk down to my kids, and it has to be secular.

I want the ability to explore a certain branch of science in-depth. I like spending a year on each topic. I despise the traditional public school route of "a unit on this, then a unit on that, then a unit on this over here." I think that leads to kids viewing science as a bunch of disconnected facts and subjects. I want my kids to think scientifically and see the connections/overlap between all branches of science.

My kids are rapidly heading toward middle school, so I want a middle-grades/high school science curriculum that is meaty enough to be worth it.

Tara

Yes! This would be awesome and can you have it finished by August? ;)

Chapter 1:

I wonder if you would want to (or need to?) contact Nebel himself about this project.

ETA: Your videos are wonderfully done. I watched your minerals videos with my kids. They loved them! My DD particularly adored the giant pink quartz your wife found, and literally gasped out loud at its beauty. :lol: They really want to know what the dark brown porcupine shaped mineral was though. Do you happen to recall?

I would definitely contact the author of any curriculum or book that I keyed the site to, first to make sure they did not object, and also to pick their brains for ideas.

The brown, spiky mineral is a cluster of calcite crystals from Mexico. If they are enjoying the minerals unit, check to see if you have a local Rock and Mineral club. They usually take regular field trips, are almost always delighted to introduce children to the fun of mineral collecting. They are also a marvelous source for specimens, but I warn you that you might come home with several hundred pounds if you run into the right people.

I would rather have a spine and use the website to supplement that spine.

I have never seen one of these that was sufficiently challenging for the older students. Every time I come across a curriculum that's intended to be used across a broad age range, I'm shocked by the lack of rigor for the older students.

The kids love the books (RS4K), and I feel that the labs really promote using the scientific method. I like that the kids are asked to make their own predictions about what will happen, and I like that there are discussion notes that give me things to say and directions to lead the discussion after we have completed the experiment. The notes often point out things I wouldn't have thought of to highlight.

Each book is very short. I don't want to do two or more books a year; I just want to do one. So far the way things have worked out is that we do the book in about 15 weeks and then spend the rest of the year exploring various other topics the kids are interested in, doing activities from a science magazine we subscribe to, and reading science biographies.

This is just a personal thing, but I REALLY hate doing experiments. My kids love them, and I think they are learning from the RS4K ones, but honestly, many of the "experiments" we have done in the past were simply demonstrations, and I hate spending the time and money on things that might have some wow factor but don't actually teach the kids anything.

I want serious science that doesn't talk down to my kids, and it has to be secular.

I want the ability to explore a certain branch of science in-depth. I like spending a year on each topic. I despise the traditional public school route of "a unit on this, then a unit on that, then a unit on this over here." I think that leads to kids viewing science as a bunch of disconnected facts and subjects. I want my kids to think scientifically and see the connections/overlap between all branches of science.

My kids are rapidly heading toward middle school, so I want a middle-grades/high school science curriculum that is meaty enough to be worth it.

Tara

I think Tara has some nice ideas. Some of my thoughts (other than what I already posted on another thread) secular is definitely important. I am not a BFSU fan. Why? Hmmm...thinking this over, because perhaps BFSU combined with what your are doing might be something I would like. I found BFSU to be dry. Yes, I could pull in living books, dvds etc, but that's more work than I had time for when I tried to use it. I also found the layout of their program a little confusing. If I'm going to use a program, then I want it to be more linear. Have you looked into Tapestry of Grace as a model? I still like the idea of the buffet, multilevel, strong teacher's notes, all blended with core readings, experiments and video suggestions.

Chapter 1:

"Overlays" sound like a great idea! We are also BFSU users, and I have been trying to enrich it in a similar way on my own by finding the most applicable pages in the Usborne Science Encyclopedia and tracking down the most relevant internet links. Although I am a scientist as well and I think I'm getting good material this way, it is a fair amount of work for me and if you had it all ready to go, boy howdy I would be on board! I know some people don't like that BFSU is not laid out in a linear way, but personally, I love that aspect of it, that the different disciplines of science can be completed in tandem ...science is very often not linear and all the different disciplines are connected, and the 'overlays' as I think you are describing them could integrate well with the way we use BFSU.

If the overlays work well for you, you could also branch out or tie them in with commonly used science encyclopedias, which are very different in format to BFSU, like the Usborne book I linked above, or the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. I think they are both commonly used by homeschoolers.

My idea--if you wanted to take your critical eye to these types of science encylopedias and give recommendations or reviews of them on your site, I bet that would get a lot of page hits! :D When I was shopping for an encyclopedia to go with our BFSU it was a toss-up between the Usborne and the Kingfisher since I could not find copies IRL to page through and judge the quality of their content. I bought the Usborne because of the internet links, and that made it worthwhile for me, but as far as actual science content I am not super impressed. Reviews of these types of books from someone secular and well-trained in science (rather than YE and trained in teaching, which was the existing type of review I found) would be very welcome!

Edited by jar7709

Chapter 1:

I like the idea of overlays or other forms of sequencing. It might also be useful to have a sequence that didn't rely on an outside book or spine. I'm thinking, for example, of the dashboard at Khan Academy, which gives several tracks to progress through the videos and practices.

Also, for the mom of a teen, who is approaching the point where grades matter, it would be very helpful to have some forms of assessment available. I realize this presents a much greater level of difficulty (which is why I would appreciate it). Also for older students, overlays or tracks that would help students prepare for SAT II Subject tests or AP exams would be golden.

I have nothing useful to add except a kit with everything needed for all the experiments and demos in the quanity required. Possibly another with all the books and DVDs needed. Some of us have terrible libraries or live where 'typical household items' are not available or simply lack the time to track all of it down.

Secular would be perfect for us. Evolution, origin of man presented as ideas, not facts.

I just bought the Kindle version of BFSU, vol 2. I have only skimmed a few chapters, but while it has tons of marvelous information, but it is very different from what I expected.

He seems to demand a lot more work from you as the teacher than I was expecting, especially if you don't have a strong science background. On one hand, that seems like a great education for you, because explaining science to children is like explaining it to your grandmother. You REALLY have to UNDERSTAND it. On the other hand, where do you find the time? I was expecting content directed towards the student, not towards making you enough of an expert in each area of science to let you present the material effectively to your dc.

The other surprise was his expectations for equipment, and again I may have been underestimating the homeschool community. Do most of you really have microscopes, triple beam balances, and other lab gear readily available?

On the up side, I don't think it will be difficult to integrate my materials with BFSU. I have already seen quite a few places where videos or activities would fit nicely.

I am heading out to present a teacher training workshop in Titusville, FL, but will be back tomorrow. I'll try to check in later, but hotel internet can be tricky, so don't think that I have abandoned you. Thanks again for all the help.

The reasons you gave are the reasons why I don't use BFSU. I would love to have unlimited time and resources to pull it off. But, I don't.

You can look at the full text of each Real Science 4 Kids book at the Gravitas Publications website. For each level, if you click on the "More" link, there is a link for "See each full text."

We have done a variety of things for science, and so far, my kids have liked RS4K best.

Tara

I like the idea behind BFSU, but I don't find it particularly user friendly. There is a ton of prep too. I'm already preparing all subjects for my two kids so it gets to be too much sometimes with something like BFSU. It feels more like a rough outline with some eduspeak thrown in.

And the flow chart makes me want to run screaming. :D

:iagree:

I agree about BFSU, way to complicated.

I think there is a real lack of secular science so making a program that is secular but easily adaptable for Christians would be important.

Following one or two books would be ideal as some of us are addicted to the written page. What might work is to have a program that is self contained online, but suggest this or that reading to go along with it. It wouldn't be required, maybe different readings for the different grade levels? That way someone on a budget wouldn't HAVE to buy the books.

Making the curriculum adaptable to multiple grade levels would be great for large families. It would make it easier to combine all children into one science program. That could be difficult but not impossible. Additional reading, outlining, investigating more in depth for the older kids.

We aren't using a curriculum presently. I have tried CPO, Prentice, and even tried a DIY where we used Usborne Encyclopedia as a spine with Videos and such. The last went over the best but took to much time. Now we watch videos (Netflix, Discovery, and Happy Scientist!) do an activity once in awhile. We need something more structured but I have yet to find something I like.

The kids did like AHA Science, but it is limited in what it teaches and the depth it goes into the subject. They'd really like something they can do on the computer then come to me and we do the "experiment".

One problem is I am unwilling to invest a lot of money into something I can't really get a feel for. A couple sample pages doesn't do it for me.

HTH

Keying BFSU to something would be great. It would be past great. I would nominate you for most awesome person of the year!

As to the prep, that is the more difficult part! (And the lack of whitespace.) I only have volume 1, so far I have had all the required materials, which have been common items. I will be allocating funds to science equipment this year (a telescope!) and I'll have to be sure to buy the BFSU Vol 2 first so I know what we need. I'm not at all rich, but my children's education is a high priority to me, and I'd rather buy them fewer cool things (equipment, books and tools) that will last than bunches of plastic junk. (I believe BFSU is for both homeschoolers and teachers though.)

And I love your science picture of the day, even though I haven't been able to answer the ones I've looked at. Is there a recommended way to find the answers myself, besides just google? (Since I'm already good at using Google.)

Edited by mtcougar832
Horrid grammar.

My Ideal Science Curriculum (MISC as a PP so aptly dubbed it.)

I need a science curriculum that would cover preschool - 12th grade. For instance, a meaty earth science curriculum for the 12th graders with corresponding picture books for the preschool crowd. Easy experiments/projects to do at home that don't require a lot equipment or expensive supplies. We did invest in a microscope for highschool, but we don't have a good scale or bunson burners. It would also be handy to have longer projects suggested for highschoolers, for instance creating a weather station to track the weather for several months. Coloring sheets to keep the toddlers happy while I work with the older children. A core book or books for each age range. Discussion notes/questions to help guide the children to a scientific understanding, especially highschool. Controversial subjects covered at the highschool level. Suggested writing assignments for each level. I'd love to see a bit of the history of science and biographies tied in to the curriculum. Suggested videos, websites, and extra reading would be really appreciated. My internet is sporatic :glare: so I prefer not to be tied down to the computer for 'classes'. I would love to see applied math problems included in the science curriculum for 7th grade on up. Guided lab reports and rubrics for grading them. Tests for highschool. It doesn't need to be open and go, but I don't have lots of time for planning either. I'd like to spend no more than an hour or two a week planning for all the children. Now if you could have a biology plan up and running by summer, I'll nominate you for sainthood. :D I'm planning on using Apologia Biology for my oldest 2 and CKE Biology for my middle 2 next year, but would prefer to have a secular science curriculum. Also, I'd rather have all the kids on the same topic so I can run one science 'class' rather than two classes.

Everything Rose and thowell said, plus...

And yes, I would LOVE an inquiry-based laid-out science program. I think a decent way to do this would be to have programs covering the same topics, but coming from different perspectives based on student interests. So for example: a student fascinated by astronomy might take a program with a title such as Middle School Physics: Focus on Astronomy which presents physics in the context of astronomy (so... uh... astrophysics, I guess). But a student who is into marine biology might take Middle School Physics: Focus on Oceans. And both of those programs would cover the same physics topics! I realize that this could quickly lead into having four million versions of each program, which is why it's an IDEA, not reality. But really. Maybe have around three or four versions of each program? :glare:

I *love* this idea!!

I just bought the Kindle version of BFSU, vol 2. I have only skimmed a few chapters, but while it has tons of marvelous information, but it is very different from what I expected.

He seems to demand a lot more work from you as the teacher than I was expecting, especially if you don't have a strong science background. On one hand, that seems like a great education for you, because explaining science to children is like explaining it to your grandmother. You REALLY have to UNDERSTAND it. On the other hand, where do you find the time? I was expecting content directed towards the student, not towards making you enough of an expert in each area of science to let you present the material effectively to your dc.

The other surprise was his expectations for equipment, and again I may have been underestimating the homeschool community. Do most of you really have microscopes, triple beam balances, and other lab gear readily available?

On the up side, I don't think it will be difficult to integrate my materials with BFSU. I have already seen quite a few places where videos or activities would fit nicely.

I am heading out to present a teacher training workshop in Titusville, FL, but will be back tomorrow. I'll try to check in later, but hotel internet can be tricky, so don't think that I have abandoned you. Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, it is a lot of work. Fabulous, but a lot of work. So far I've just done B-thread stuff, and I'm a biologist so it's been pretty easy. I am very, very afraid of doing BFSU physics unaided, however :D

I will just add my totally eager enthusiasm to the idea of keying to BFSU, though! That would earn my lifelong devotion!!!! :D

I'll say this - If there is (or should I say "is to be", lol) a program I knew we could stick to and utilize with relative ease, I would absolutely sink money into equipment!

We were very fortunate to receive a great microscope as a family Christmas gift this year. I've been wanting it, but couldn't justify the expense for this impressive model without a program to back it up.

I just checked out the Study Units and that's very, very close to what I'm looking for. Any plans to add more topics? Also, have you done an overlay for a California standards elementary textbook? That would also work well for me.

Regarding evolutionary stuff... I'll never find anything that fits well with our belief system. My DH and I ascribe to a theistic (God - or some intelligent force started it), flexible (we can't know with certainty exactly what happened, so I try to keep an open mind), old earth perspective.

I think that, most of the time, I'd prefer a neutral point of view with separate units on origins and evolution. When my kids are older, this won't be as much of a sticking point with me. I want them to understand traditional scientific views on these issues. I just don't want to try to explain it NOW when they're 7 and 8 yo. Make sense?

This is exactly why I don't use BFSU. I bought it, read it and liked the science, but could not prep it and implement it. I am not a scientist and frankly, I just don't have the desire to do all that work myself on a subject I'm not crazy about. When my kids get older, I already have a plan to outsource science with a fabulous AP teacher in our area.

I think that is why something along the lines of SOTW for science would work well. People with little history background can successfully implement SOTW to the degree that they want, a little or a lot. I would love something like that for science that can be done by a parent with little science background (maybe the videos would help with this?). That is why I use the Supercharged Science videos, she is the expert, I am not, and she is on-call to answer my questions. As far as equipment, yes we do have a lot of equipment and I don't mind buying more as long as it can be used in multiple experiments/units.

What is BFSU? :lol:

I use RS4K and ScienceWorks. I also enjoy Handbook of Nature Study and the outdoor challenge website and want to incorporate that somehow.

I prefer a unit study approach to science. I don't want a few chapters about this and a few chapters about that with a experiment/activity. I want to stay with a topic for 6-10 weeks. And a month for other things. We did a month of environmental awareness for example.

I also don't want to have to read too much but I also want the reading to be well written and engaging. I want it to respect learning styles so my kiddo who gets a glazed look in his eyes if he has to listen for too long and not have something to DO will enjoy it. Something like SOTW but not chronological but divided into major science branches and sub subjects (say a biology book with a unit on anatomy for example) with an activity guide. I would prefer to have some video and literature suggestions to expand on a topic (fiction/nonfiction/biographic) and some sort of worksheet type pages to evaluate mastery. It would also have to be colorful or at least point to books that are colorful. I think science works best if you can see lava flowing down a mountain. I would like it to incorporate art projects, history, writing, music, and a just a bit of busywork (crosswords, fill in the blanks) but not too much.

I would want it multilevel like SOTW. I want my 3rd grader to get something from it and I want to be able to adapt it easily for a Kinder. It would also help to be cyclical--that a child could cycle through it again and learn more each time---basically a la science recs in the Well Trained Mind. And I would want it written at a level a 4th-5th grade child could read on their own as well as it being engaging as a read aloud.

Easy to find materials. Easy to purchase equipment, but I don't want to absence of a telescope to hinder progress through it. (We have a microscope--yep don't underestimate homeschoolers).

Also I want it to be secular. I don't mind evolutionary or old earth/universe material because I accept them but I don't want any hint of an agenda to try to persuade me one way or the other. I feel those topics are best left in the realm of theology/philosophy.

I wouldn't mind a website component but wouldn't want it to be necessary for the curr to work. I don't like going to a website too often unless it's to print out something or watch a video and I don't like kids doing a bulk of learning time on a computer.

teacher's materials that give teaching tips, troubleshooting, answers and rabbit trails or enrichment activities.

Edited by Walking-Iris

I'm coming in at the end of a long conversation, but I really wanted to chime in, too!

My ideal science curriculum would be:

divided into grade bands: k-4, 5-8, 9-12 (please focus on Middle School first--there is really VERY little to choose from for secular science for middle school)

have books to hold onto--not computer lessons to read, or printed pages in a binder where pages get torn out accidentally

Perhaps be formatted like the Story of the World--with a main text to read to the child (or for the child to read) and also an activity book which lists the "best" demonstrations, discussion questions, videos, experiments, thinking/prep activities, books from the library to use as an extension, and a variety of worksheets.

I like the lessons separated from the activities because sometimes the activities just don't get done and therefore science doesn't get done. If there was a minimum that would teach science (read something, discuss, watch related video/do worksheet, done) when things are crazy but also a bunch more to chose from when life is more peaceful it would be great!

I want to see a science in a "discovery way" but not a reading book.

I want some expriment as a spine and material to lead a discussion. I want it go into deep not just a surface, at least an option to go deep.

I use MrQ combine with RS4K and RSO, becuase I like couple things on each. RSO has good experiment with recommendation of books. I am not impressed with the reading part. RS4K is good reading and and thats about it. MrQ is a good one and both I and DS likes it. But I want to see instruction leading discussion. Not just simply what happened. I want some kind question list and lead the children o tell me what they see, what they think they saw. that especially for physics. The question and discussion might not confine to simple topic.

I just checked out the Study Units and that's very, very close to what I'm looking for. Any plans to add more topics? Also, have you done an overlay for a California standards elementary textbook? That would also work well for me.

Yes, my plan is to build them into a full library for methods of science, chemistry, physics, biology, geology, and eventually some archaeology, with enough depth so that you can go as far as you want into each topic. I started the first four, and have been trying to get as much feedback as possible, to be sure I am on the right track before I launch into the rest.