Menu

Evaluator or Standardized Test? Which do you choose and why?

Evaluator or Standardized Test  

1. 1. Evaluator or Standardized Test

• Evaluation by a certified teacher in your state
    • Standardized Test
    • Other

For those of you in states that require some sort of reporting I'm curious how you choose how to report?

For first grade I chose to report via standardized test. Next year I am switching to an evaluator. I really feel like a standardized test cannot possibly capture the true progress that my child will make. I also dislike that my child could have an "off" day and that would skew the results of the test. No, I am not worried that she will not "perform" well on the test, just that the more I think about it the more opposed I am to standardized testing for very young children. I can see changing my mind about this as my children get older.

Just curious what you choose and why. Thanks!

I think it is a lot easier to just give your child the standardized test than to have to put together a portfolio and make an appointment to meet with an evaluator.

Besides, one of the reasons I give my kids standardized tests every year is because I want them to learn how to take them so they will be proficient at them. Standardized tests are important in many fields of study. First of all, most kids will take the SAT. In addition, many other professions require completion of entrance exams or board exams. I want my kids to have a lot of practice taking standardized tests so that hopefully they will be very good at them, and through performing well will have many options open to them in the future.

I'm also in VA and have chosen the standardized test because I can get the simple and to the point CAT from Seton and give it myself. I only test them because I have to report and this is the least time consuming and intrusive to our schedule.

When we lived in FL I chose the evaluation by a FL certified teacher (somehow I missed the option of an umbrella school) because the testing was something that had to be given by a certified teacher and was more expensive and time consuming than the evaluation.

We do a standardized test. In our area, it seems like the evaluators are mostly used by the unschooling crowd. I know there are several evaluators who have some kind of questionnaire that the parent fills out, and then the evaluator signs off on the evaluation. It seems as if it's designed to avoid having the unschooled child repressed by an evil standardized test. That's the impression I get from our local homeschooling list anyway!

I think it is a lot easier to just give your child the standardized test than to have to put together a portfolio and make an appointment to meet with an evaluator.

Besides, one of the reasons I give my kids standardized tests every year is because I want them to learn how to take them so they will be proficient at them. Standardized tests are important in many fields of study. First of all, most kids will take the SAT. In addition, many other professions require completion of entrance exams or board exams. I want my kids to have a lot of practice taking standardized tests so that hopefully they will be very good at them, and through performing well will have many options open to them in the future.

:iagree:

For first grade I chose to report via standardized test. Next year I am switching to an evaluator. I really feel like a standardized test cannot possibly capture the true progress that my child will make.

See, that wouldn't be my first thought at all. I don't need an outside source to capture or validate my dc's true progress. Reporting in any way to the state is just a hoop to jump through. I would do what was least obtrusive to my life and move on. :)

I know my children's strengths and weaknesses, and frankly I doubt that that any external instrument will ever tell me anything that I don't know. In over a decade of homeschooling, the standardized test results have never added anything to the picture. I doubt that an evaluator would be any better, and testing is cheaper and gives them the practice they need on that type of test. Mine are older now and we do group testing so that they get used to that way of testing.

Also the county coordinator that processes the results told me that she spends less than a minute looking at each one. She just checks off that you met the state requirement, and that's it.

IMHO if I didn't do it as part of state requirements, I wouldn't have tested until about 6th grade. Testing is hard on younger kids IMHO, and wouldn't be worth the expense and time to me otherwise.

One of the reasons I homeschool is to avoid standardized testing :) Yes, I know,,,, SAT. We'll take a bunch of PSATs and practice at home.

DS has WAY to many issues that I think would skew the results, and I enjoy the freedom not to worry about State content every year. We don't unschool - not even close...

As for time, I keep track of everything and keep important papers together as they are done - so it doesn't take any extra time.

We do both because PA requires an evaluator. If they did not, I'd stick with the Standardized Tests. My kids are heading to college and I want to know along the way how they stack up with their peers (those competing with them for admissions).

We've been pleased with our results.

Each state has different regulations and requirements; I believe Canada is similar.

Here we have to use the ITBS (or get Dept. of Ed approval of another standardized test) or meet with a state licenced teacher about dozen times to have have him/her report adequate academic progress; there is no standard evaluation option. We've done both, but the test is simpler and less of a pain. My children are older teenagers, so ymmv

I'm like Ellie--I test and I think it's just a hoop. My kid does well on tests, I find it infinitely less intrusive and more convenient, and there is an objective standard to meet. Here in VA (as you, OP, know) you only have to score in the 25% to keep homeschooling; if you drop below, you still get a whole year to bring it up. That's way safer-feeling to me than putting out eggs in some evaluator's basket, who doesn't even have guidelines to help him/her decide our homeschooling future--it's completely arbitrary.

Testing because it's much simpler and cheaper. The county homeschool group offers testing every spring through a former homeschooler. The kids show up at the tester's house, test with 15-20 other children their age, have plenty of playtime outside, and come home excited. It's far less stressful than trying to do it myself, or gather everything together for a portfolio. :001_smile:

ETA: I've found the testing usually confirms what I already know, areas they're strugging in versus areas they're excelling in. It's also interesting to see how the scores change from year to year.

Edited by coffeegal

In our state we have to keep a portfolio for 2 years PLuS either a standardized test or an evaluator.

The evaluators charge 45 per pupil. They are all different. By law kids here only need to show "progress commensurate with his or her ability.". Therefore the evaluators are not required to do any certain thing. Some evaluators have lists of questions, some are stricter than others. My evaluator gives me good feedback because I ask her to do that. She has graduated and sent homeschooled dc to college with scholarships, as well as taught in PS for years.

Additionally she is a wonderful Christian woman and encourages me and my children every year. She listens to them talk about their hobbies or interests and laughs over their cute artwork, and praises their accomplishments. Afterward, she meets with me and tells me if anything seems to be lacking and talks about choices and plans for the following year.

If I want do to take a test I can do that too through Setin but to report to the state, the kids have to go to a testing center (our homeschool group offers that) so it costs nearly as much as the evaluator.

I love having the advice, encouragement and personal input from my evaluator. My kids look forward to it all year.

We can pick either one in our state, and last year for our first year, I chose an evaluation. We had a wonderful evaluator who was very thorough and very supportive. I was really impressed by how it went. I will also do an evaluation this year. I may in the future decide to do a standardized test one year, just to start giving my kids practice with those kinds of tests, so that it is not a totally unfamiliar thing when it comes time to take the SAT or ACT.

Well, I voted that I get evaluated by a teacher. However, I am a licensed teacher and a licensed school counselor, so I evaluate it myself. I have a copy of the Woodcock-Johnson test and give that every year to my own children and evaluate it.

Dawn

Well, some of us live in states where we have to test.

I use the W-J because it suits our needs best and I can give it at home.

Dawn

One of the reasons I homeschool is to avoid standardized testing :) Yes, I know,,,, SAT. We'll take a bunch of PSATs and practice at home.

DS has WAY to many issues that I think would skew the results, and I enjoy the freedom not to worry about State content every year. We don't unschool - not even close...

As for time, I keep track of everything and keep important papers together as they are done - so it doesn't take any extra time.

I live in a state where I have to do one or the other annually. I definitely appreciate a review by a teacher. I get to chose the teacher, and I have been working with the same one since first grade. She is a Christian (like me) and educated her children in a way similar to my goals with my kids.

As a matter of fact, I've administered standardized tests to my kids a few times (getting into an every-other-year cycle), but I still spend the money to hire her for a portfolio review for my official state-mandated review.

I like portfolio reviews for several reasons:

• it forces me to look outside of the day-to-day managing of my homeschool and see the big picture of progress that the kids have made. Truly, I've gone from frowns to smiles while putting the work together as I visually see progress!
  • we must maintain a portfolio of work for the kids per state law. Putting the portfolio together for that and the review...well, it kills two birds with one stone.
  • I appreciate the feedback I receive from my evaluator. it is encouraging and helpful when I've asked her about certain issues that have come up (slow reading progress, for example)

If our state law changed and I didn't have to do this, I'd be happy as a clam! However, I might still arrange to meet with Sue annually just to glean insight, direction and encouragement from this BTDT mom, whom I admire.

eta: I do glean information from the standardized tests {trust me, I over-analyze them because I'm very, very familiar with standardized assessments from my pre-homeschooling career}. But I find that it is more helpful for planning the next year to have an assessment with a teacher. I suppose a lot of my reasons for having a teacher evaluate me is because I have the highest esteem for the woman that I work with.

Edited by mamato3 all-boy boys

We can do either, and I have done both.

I did testing at home.

Our evaluators are really just certified teachers who look at nothing, they either just sign your paper or just talk to you. They are obviously pro-HSing. :D

In general, I think both are silly, intrusive, expensive and don't really show what your kids have actually learned. However, I am glad to have done the testing for several reasons...to know how my kids do on them, to give them some exposure to it, and as a tangible record as to my "success" at HSing (this makes me laugh as I think that standardized tests are beyond stupid, and do not test knowledge).

I think the whole thing is so ridiculous that I petitioned to be my own evaluator this year (having test scores probably helped, in this case) and succeeded in being approved to be my own, from now until their graduation. I saved between $200-500 over the rest of their education by doing this. Plus, our school district is cool with HSing.

So, both are silly, and both are useful. If you can you should change it up every year.

Last year was my first year of homeschooling and I chose an evaluator. I'm really not a fan of standardized tests, especially at the younger ages and my curriculum doesn't always follow the PS standards. I got the name of an evaluator from a homeschooling friend. She had been a PS teacher in one of the best PS in our area until she retired and homeschooled her children, grandchildren and other people's children. She's now a big advocate of homeschooling. She charged $20, but was willing to reduce or waive the fee for anyone in financial difficulty. She made a convenient appointment at her home. It was a beautiful, cozy house with a nice view of fields, birds, and ponds and, despite us both being scared, she made us feel very comfortable. She was extremely happy with all the work we had done in our first year and made suggestions for books we might like (they were huge hits!) and curriculum that we might like to use later. My son still asks if we're going to see "that really nice old lady" again.

I spent a lot of time at the end of the year putting together the portfolio, so this year I am taking pictures and adding pages as we go along. By the time we do our evaluation, we should have a good portfolio almost ready to go.

I chose evaluation, my oldest has several LD and shows what he actually knows and learned better through one on one evaluation. Standardized testing for him is awful and it would look like he know nothing. Another child is dyslexic so we used an evaluation for her as well. My other two who are old enough use the standardized testing as it's easier and cheaper.

I voted other because I used an evaluator until each boy got to be about 5th grade. In the earlier years I thought it was a more a true assessment plus my boys didn't take a lot of tests (other than for math and spelling) so it was kind of a foreign thing to them. I also enjoyed the opportunity to talk to the evaluator one on one afterwards about any concerns/questions I might have.

As each turned 10 or 11, I switched them over to standardized testing. It was something I wanted them to get used to. I also didn't feel that I needed the evaluator's feedback as much by that stage.

We do both because PA requires an evaluator.

Ah yes, lovely PA.

The 2012-2013 school year will be our first reporting year, and we'll have to do a standardized test *and* an evaluation and the port *also* goes to the district. I know it is worse on paper than in reality, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it, really. So. obtrusive. :tongue_smilie: