Menu

If you wear skirts all the time but

you don't necessarily wear floor length skirts, what shoes do you wear?

I have recently been convicted about my attire and have decided to make the change to wearing skirts/dresses most of the time. I have been slowly transitioning over the last few months. I have a small budget and can only buy a few pieces here and there to add to my wardrobe at a time. I wear skirts that come to just below my knees or longer, but I have only been wearing flats with them( and I only own two pair of close toed flats for the fall winter as of now). It is completely impractical and kills my back to wear heels daily, my DH hates the tall boots and so I feel "stuck" in what I can wear with my new look...especially the skirts that come to my knees. What do you wear?

Boots! I love boots and skirts. What is it your dh hates about your tall boots? Is it how tall they are? There are a million different boot options. I even wear rainboots with my skirts sometimes.

Otherwise I wear flipflops (not practical for winter, obviously) or ballet flats.

I wear casual shoes and smooth-knit knee socks. Works pretty well. But then again, I'm no shoe maven. Think LL Bean kind of styles.

I'm not either! lol. I'm really just looking for comfort, but something that isn't just......super ugly, kwim? I didn't even think to try L.L. Bean.

You could also look at what is sometimes called driving shoes. Most of the ones I've seen come up a little higher on the top of the foot.

I'd also consider color of shoe and what hosiery you might be wearing. I think neutral colored shoes with skirts look better, as opposed to black.

I had a fabulous pair of mustard shoes I wore until they fell apart, the color went with everything.

All kinds of shoes! :D

Ballet flats or shoes of a similar style can be very neat and very practical if you do not want to ruin your feet by wearing high heels all the time. :tongue_smilie:

Classical high heels for a more "ceremonial" look.

Various kinds of boots, depending on your preferences, and especially good for winter.

I wear sandals and driving mocs in moderate/warm weather (I used to have ballet flats). In the winter I have basic black knee-high boots that are practically flat (I can't stand wearing heels). Pics included below of my sandals and the other two are close to what I have :D. All very boring black, but I'm scared to branch out :001_unsure::scared::blush5:. I wear skirts 98% of the time...can't stand the way pants constrict my waist...

post-30109-13535086041404_thumb.jpg

post-30109-13535086041527_thumb.jpg

post-30109-13535086041644_thumb.jpg

I love my Mary Janes by Eddie Bauer. They match everything in my closet...I'm a comfort, sporty kind of dresser. I can't find a link, but googling will give you tons of options.

Like the others have said, tall boots are great.

I have a pair of Mules that are good for cooler temps, that I can also wear with just about everything in my closet.

Depending on the mood.

I have an un-embellished pair of black flats that I usually wear that goes with almost everything.

For a more polished look- calf-high boots, either flat or heels. I do like knee length boots, but feel like I'm just trying too hard to be young when I wear them...maybe because I wore that kind of thing so much in my 20's.

Boots! I love boots and skirts. What is it your dh hates about your tall boots? Is it how tall they are? There are a million different boot options. I even wear rainboots with my skirts sometimes.

Otherwise I wear flipflops (not practical for winter, obviously) or ballet flats.

Um......he refers to them as "hooker boots." :blushing: He says they put him in mind of Julia Roberts pre-transformation in "Pretty Woman." It is definitely not the height. He is 7-8 inches taller than I am and loves when I wear heels. It doesn't matter what style of boot either. He even hates Ugg boots. He says those are just ugly. *sigh*

Thanks for the links! The flats on zappos are really cute!

I didn't even think about Mary Janes either. Duh! lol

Looks like I will just branch out my flat selection. :)

Those would work, but are WAAAYYYYY out of my price range.

If you are patient they go on sale. I bought mine at 50 percent off with free shipping. They will last a long time, good quality. I get emails from them periodically, and they often invite me to a "private" sale. It suppose to make me feel special but I think it is just an email only sale.

Um......he refers to them as "hooker boots." :blushing: He says they put him in mind of Julia Roberts pre-transformation in "Pretty Woman." It is definitely not the height. He is 7-8 inches taller than I am and loves when I wear heels. It doesn't matter what style of boot either. He even hates Ugg boots. He says those are just ugly. *sigh*

Thanks for the links! The flats on zappos are really cute![/I]

I didn't even think about Mary Janes either. Duh! lol

Looks like I will just branch out my flat selection. :)

While I was on there, I found SO MANY shoes I liked! Omgoodness!!! :D (The highlight was DH saying, 'well, buy yourself some!')

Dustybug:

Interested to know what you meant when you said you were 'convicted' to wear skirts and dresses only.

When I say I am convicted of something, that means I feel the Holy Spirit is leading me to make a certain decision about a particular subject/action/thing/person,etc. after prayer and searching the Bible for answers.

Hmm..well, the short version as it applies to this subject is that after talking with some friends who do wear skirts all the time because their particular denomination insists on it, I started studying the scriptures that they used to show why they believed it was sinful to wear pants. I've gone over those scriptures and others pertaining to women for months, prayed about it many times, discussed it with DH, etc. I still don't believe that it is sinful for a woman to wear pants, shorts, or the like, but I do feel that maintaining a feminine appearance is pleasing to God as he made us distinctive for a reason. For me, I feel I look most feminine wearing dresses/skirts, not jeans and a plain top or sweats and a t-shirt (which had become my uniform of sorts. :tongue_smilie:). I'm not saying I'll never wear pants again ( I still sleep in my sweats every night) or that this is a blanket for how ALL women should do this, just what I feel the Lord was leading me to at this point in my life. I also feel like a knee length or longer skirt is more modest than most of today's skin tight, show-every-dimple-in-my-heiny jeans are....at least for me.

That probably wasn't a very good explanation. I tend to ramble or leave out important bits when I try to give a thorough answer sometimes.

When I say I am convicted of something, that means I feel the Holy Spirit is leading me to make a certain decision about a particular subject/action/thing/person,etc. after prayer and searching the Bible for answers.

Hmm..well, the short version as it applies to this subject is that after talking with some friends who do wear skirts all the time because their particular denomination insists on it, I started studying the scriptures that they used to show why they believed it was sinful to wear pants. I've gone over those scriptures and others pertaining to women for months, prayed about it many times, discussed it with DH, etc. I still don't believe that it is sinful for a woman to wear pants, shorts, or the like, but I do feel that maintaining a feminine appearance is pleasing to God as he made us distinctive for a reason. For me, I feel I look most feminine wearing dresses/skirts, not jeans and a plain top or sweats and a t-shirt (which had become my uniform of sorts. :tongue_smilie:). I'm not saying I'll never wear pants again ( I still sleep in my sweats every night) or that this is a blanket for how ALL women should do this, just what I feel the Lord was leading me to at this point in my life. I also feel like a knee length or longer skirt is more modest than most of today's skin tight, show-every-dimple-in-my-heiny jeans are....at least for me.

That probably wasn't a very good explanation. I tend to ramble or leave out important bits when I try to give a thorough answer sometimes.

Dustybug:

Okay, ty.

If we thought women would be in sin if they wore pants, this household would be different! but I can respect that you have got some sort of conviction, anyway. (I see that you yourself don't really agree with your strict friends that pants are actually sinful.) I wonder what else they believe in terms of dos and don'ts for attire, but really it's none of my business. It's the heart of faith that matters in my view, not the superficial and arbitrary dos and don'ts. So I'm not certainly not going to argue the point. Thanks again.

Is it possible to tell your dh to just, you know, get over the thing with the boots? It isn't really fair for you to have to eliminate an entire category of footwear just because he associates them with a cheesy eighties (nineties?) movie. I mean, come on. I have a pair of boots that are somewhat Ugg-ish, and I wear them with skirts all the time. (However, I also have a very fluid idea of "matching," lol.) Tell your dh that you're more worried about function than fashion and get yourself a nice pair of boots. :001_smile:

I get what you mean about feeling a call to modest appearance. I am mini skirt wearer. I tried the more modest approach once and I got a lot of boos from people in IRL. :tongue_smilie: BTW, I second Keens. They make cute shoes that would work well with your choice of skirt.

Those would work, but are WAAAYYYYY out of my price range.

Good, quality shoes are often worth the investment, both in terms of comfort, and in terms of price-per-use. You can't of course have as many different styles, but once you've spent a day on your feet in quality shoes that fit properly, you won't go back.

Those sneakers which are shaped to look like Mary Janes. Cute & comfortable.

We call them "Park Mom Shoes", for moms who want to look stylish when they take their little 'uns to the park.

I get what you mean about feeling a call to modest appearance. I am mini skirt wearer. I tried the more modest approach once and I got a lot of boos from people in IRL. :tongue_smilie: BTW, I second Keens. They make cute shoes that would work well with your choice of skirt.

:lol: