Menu

-Slightly frivolous poll for today...Would you use bed sheets from the Salvation Army

Would *you* use sheets from the Salvation Army or other thrift store?  

1. 1. Would *you* use sheets from the Salvation Army or other thrift store?

• I would *never* do it. YUK!
    • I would do it, but I wouldn't like it and I'd be slightly creeped out.
    • I'd totally be fine with used sheets as long as they're thoroughly cleaned before use.

Would you buy and use bed sheets from the Salvation Army or other thrift store if times were tight and your sheets didn't really fit your bed and were so tight that you murmured a cuss word every time you have to make the bed (and re-make the bed because the corner pops off every time someone sits down on the bed)?

How skeeved out would you be?

I would go sheetless. I could remember when we were little; that's what we did.

Jeannette

Yeah, for my kids I could do this, but my dh (who doesn't have to struggle with getting the sheets on our bed, btw) would be *extremely* unhappy with no sheets!

How would used sheets (that've been cleaned/bleached) be any different than sleeping on hotel/motel sheets while on vacation?

Hmm...

I think maybe that one point just pushed me over into a willingness to go ahead and buy some sheets at the thrift store. I'm still interested, though, in what you all think! ;)

I feel kind of icky with hotel sheets too. I always remove the bed spread, because I know they are less frequently washed. And not to be too paranoid. Everyone wears slippers in the room.

We recently were fortunate enough to buy motorhome, so now I have my own sheets.

Jeannette:tongue_smilie:

How would used sheets (that've been cleaned/bleached) be any different than sleeping on hotel/motel sheets while on vacation?

Well, not too different, but probably better. At least when you buy them you can wash them yourself and know that they've been washed! I always wonder at hotels how well *anything* has been cleaned. :001_huh:

I don't know that it would really be different than buying used clothes, either. Wash them well, bleach or whatever.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I would probably do it in a pinch! Especially since new sheets can be so expensive.

I would do it in a pinch, but most of the one's I've seen are worn out. I'd be more apt to purchase some inexpensive ones from Walmart or Big Lots before that.

However, my mom is the sheet queen and I don't think I've ever actually bought a full set of sheets, they usually come from her stash.

The hotel thing creeps me out too.

Would you buy and use bed sheets from the Salvation Army or other thrift store if times were tight and your sheets didn't really fit your bed and were so tight that you murmured a cuss word every time you have to make the bed (and re-make the bed because the corner pops off every time someone sits down on the bed)?

How skeeved out would you be?

Not skeeved at all. I can't imagine anything that would remain in sheets after washing them. No more would I bring my own sheets to someone else's house if I was a guest.

Buy them. Wash them. Use them. Be thankful. :001_smile:

When I was cleaning out my mom's house after she passed away I took several sets of sheets to a local thrift shop...some were still in unopened packages! You might be able to find some unused pre-owned sheets!

As someone already mentioned...hotel sheets, hospital sheets, etc. have all been used before, too!

I see no difference in buying sheets versus clothes at a resale shop. For those that vote "no", are you also repulsed by thrift clothes?

No but I wouldn't buy underwear from the thrift store. I realize it's not logical, I'm making *no claim* that my thoughts on this matter are coming from a logical place. :lol:

Like Dot said, it is no different than buying clothes.

I won't buy pillows, however. Which is a shame as the other day I noticed several really pretty throw pillows in our Goodwill. But nope, I don't know how to effectively clean a pillow so I passed them by.

I also won't purchase shoes at thrift stores unless they are machine washable.

But washable stuff? No problem.

No but I wouldn't buy underwear from the thrift store. I realize it's not logical, I'm making *no claim* that my thoughts on this matter are coming from a logical place. :lol:

i'll buy sheets, shoes, and clothes in a heartbeat, but underwear and pillows kinda give me the heebie jeebies...... for the exact same reason as Mrs. M stated :D

I voted "no" on the thrift store sheets.

I am pretty cheap, but there are some things I just get skeeved out about.

I don't like hotel sheets or towels either. And don't get me started on those nasty comforters. I call them DIScomforters because the whole night I'm thinking of all the yucko things that may be lingering in or on those things.

Oh, and the hotel shower curtain really grosses me out too.

I am okay with thrift store clothes, especially for my kids, but not bathing suits, underwear, or socks. But I would wear my mil's old sports bra! :lol:

If I needed to get some inexpensive sheets I would go to Target or Walmart or even Bed, Bath, & Beyond because they always have discounted stuff, plus you can use those great 20% off coupons.

We were there looking for Halloween costume stuff, and I happened to notice a bright red sheet sticking out of a pile. Having recently re-done my son's room (on a tight budget) and still making do with the sheets that no longer matched the decor, I pulled it out of the pile.

It turned out to be a Tommy Hilfiger-brand top sheet, looking almost new and sporting a .50 price tag. I poked around in the stack for a few minutes and came up with its mate, the fitted sheet, also tagged at .50.

You bet I bought them, brought them home, washed them twice, and then happily put them on my kid's bed.

They were so much nicer than anything I've ever bought new for any of us, in terms of linens.

I have and would again buy sheets at the good will. I have also bought throw pillows that i washed in my washer then put out in the sun to dry. I have bought darn near everything at the goodwill. I WILL not however buy used bathing suits, undergarmets or bike helmets. Everything else if fair game, with a washing machine or lysol spray for shoes I can get much nicer (as in name brand things) than what I can afford on my own otherwise. Supporting 4 kids on a p/t income means you figure out which thrift shops carry the best product for the best prices pretty quickly. Even wal-mart prices for sheets etc are often out of my price range the few dollars at the thrift shop is so worth it.

Would you buy and use bed sheets from the Salvation Army or other thrift store if times were tight...How skeeved out would you be?

I hate to admit it, but yeah, I'd be skeeved out. It just...ick...kinda gives me the willies. Which isn't to say I absolutely wouldn't do it if all other options failed. I mean, good grief, people survive in wretched conditions on this planet; it's not like sleeping on used sheets would be the death of me. But I'd strongly prefer not to go that route.

Hotel sheets don't thrill me either ~ and like anj said, let's not even think about the comforter.:blink: I do buy second-hand clothes for my boys, but like others have said, I wouldn't go in for stuff that's worn right next to the skin. Kinda silly, when you think about it, but it's just a comfort level thing.

I'm all for recycling and reusing, but it does seem like new sheets could be found for a song at some stores. Maybe you can find a deal?

Hey, on another note entirely, did you ever figure out the answering machine mystery? That story was so totally weird!

Sure, I just bought a huge bag full of really cute clothes from the thrift store for $60. A couple of them are too small so I'll give them to another lady smaller than I that I know who also shops at thrift stores.

I just wash and wear. No big deal.