Menu

s/o How much water to drink each day? Does it matter?

Is the "8 glasses of water a day" suggestion just an oft repeated piece of advice with no real medical backing behind it? Or is this something really necessary for healthy people?

In general, I'm not that thirsty. Never have been. I'm a very healthy person--normal weight, exercise regularly, no chronic health issues. I just don't drink that much. I'm rarely thirsty between meals.

Can someone explain why I should drink 100+ ounces of water each day? I *could not imagine* ever drinking this much. In the other thread I saw someone drinking more than a gallon a day. :001_huh: I would estimate I drink around 30 ounces a day.

The only two things I like to drink are water and Diet Coke. I will occasionally have a small glass of orange juice. I really don't like other beverages, so I don't bother with them.

I once asked my dermatologist about this. He actually disagreed with the "8 glasses of water a day" suggestion. He said drink when thirsty. He also said that some of the food we eat contains water too.

If you're a big water drinker, why are you convinced it's necessary?

I am not a big water drinker, but I am convinced it's necessary. I have spent most of my life partially dehydrated because I hate water. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my second and doing all the pee tests and my midwife discovered protein in the urine and told me I was killing my kidneys that I actually started to care.

The more you drink on a consistent basis the thirstier you are. If you are used to a little, your body seems to get used to it.

I'm too young to be killing any part of me. Your body needs water to function properly.

I have only (very) recently begun drinking water again. I don't feel thirsty, so I have had to make it a habit (I line up my bottles in the morning and grab one at set times). It has made a huge difference for me - I had constant back pain (just minor but enough to make me slow down by the end of the day), and I was always worn out by the time the kids were in bed - blob on the couch until my own bedtime, struggling to get through the day and grumpy. Since starting to drink more water the back pain has gone (TMI but so have the repeated bouts of thrush). I have more energy, and I can still *think* at the end of the day. I also don't snack as often.

So yeah, for me, it has proven to be extremely important - I slacked off over Christmas and really noticed the change (so did my DH who appeared at my side with a bottle of water and told me to drink it ALL on more than one occasion).

My understanding is the recommendation is for 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water a day so it would be 64 ounces total.

I've read that by the time you actually feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. And that often feelings of hunger are actually because you are thirsty.

I don't know how much water I drink a day but it's all I drink besides two cups of tea in the morning.

I think someone in that other thread mentioned half your body weight per day, in ounces. So, at 150 pounds, drink a minimum of 75 oz.

Also, I have heard that for every ounce of caffeinated beverages consumed, add an additional equal amount of water.

:bigear: for any other "formulas".

Prior to July of 2011 I didn't drink a lot of water -- or much of anything. Then I got kidney stones. I started drinking a lot of water to flush the things out. I continue to drink a lot of water and realize that I clearly wasn't drinking enough before. I can now tell when I don't drink enough water.

It is suggested that your urine should be a light yellow color and "The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day."

Total beverages does not mean just water but it includes food and all types of liquid.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I've never drunk much either. My mother said I must have been a camel in my last life! I don't think that is healthy, and I heard somewhere that most daytime tiredness is caused by dehydration. I'm sleep deprived as it is, I don't need anything else making me tired, so I made a deliberate effort over the past month or two to drink more water. I seemed to have really woken my thirst reflex so now it is easier to drink the water because I feel thirsty more often.

Rosie

I have to pee a lot. I'm not sure if it is 3 closely spaced bio kids, middle aged, some other organic problem.

I've been told (over and over) that if I drink "enough" water for long "enough," my bladder will get used to it, and I won't spend all my time in the bathroom. I've tried this. I've tried this for more than a month.

Sorry, but my quality of life was severely compromised, not to mention work, sex, other issues.

2 of my 3 kids are natural water drinkers. I am not. Never have been.

My understanding is the recommendation is for 8 - 8 ounce glasses of water a day so it would be 64 ounces total.

I've read that by the time you actually feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. And that often feelings of hunger are actually because you are thirsty.

I don't know how much water I drink a day but it's all I drink besides two cups of tea in the morning.

the amount actually varies according to your weight. the more you weigh, the more water you need to drink.

I have to pee a lot. I'm not sure if it is 3 closely spaced bio kids, middle aged, some other organic problem.

I've been told (over and over) that if I drink "enough" water for long "enough," my bladder will get used to it, and I won't spend all my time in the bathroom. I've tried this. I've tried this for more than a month.

Sorry, but my quality of life was severely compromised, not to mention work, sex, other issues.

2 of my 3 kids are natural water drinkers. I am not. Never have been.

It took longer than a month for me.

Not that I'm drinking water. I drink hot black tea all day long. When I first gave up soda and started the tea I was constantly in the bathroom. I was pleased that my urine was just about clear, but the constant peeing was a pain. It was so bad that for the first time in my life I was consistently having to get out of bed at night at least once.

Since I was (and still am) on a health kick I just went with it and figure I'd know where every bathroom in town is. It did eventually get better. I no longer have to get up at night and I am only going 4-6 times a day.

If you ever want to try again, give it about 10-12 weeks.

I think someone in that other thread mentioned half your body weight per day, in ounces. So, at 150 pounds, drink a minimum of 75 oz.

Also, I have heard that for every ounce of caffeinated beverages consumed, add an additional equal amount of water.

:bigear: for any other "formulas".

This is the correct formula but if your urine is light to clear and has no odor you are probably consuming enough. One caveat is that sometime coffee or asparagus will cause a temporary odor that has nothing to do with input.

This is the correct formula but if your urine is light to clear and has no odor you are probably consuming enough. One caveat is that sometime coffee or asparagus will cause a temporary odor that has nothing to do with input.

That's the rule we follow. It's just what my grandmother always told us. She's usually right about these things :D. Asparagus and beets, aside!

My brother recommends his patients consume roughly half of their weight in water (ounces) -- to include soups, teas, as well. More if they have a carbonated drinking habit. He really thinks that a lot of today's inconveniences and maladies are resulting from or exacerbated by dehydration. Headaches, chronic pains, etc.

He's also very quick to point out that one can drink too much water. I'm one of the people who drink between 120-130oz water each day. He feels it is excessive for me, based on my size (using his preferred formula, my goal would be 50-60oz/day) and he insists I keep up my salt intake. I find that if I go that low, I'm prone to headaches and tiredness.

You see, it goes in cycles.

Several years ago, experts were wheeled out to keep saying, You need to drink more bottled water.

So more and more people bought lots and lots of bottles of mineral water.

Then different experts were wheeled out. Oh it's okay to drink lots of water, but .... Don't drink too much bottled water; or if you do, you must be committed to recycling the bottle; whatever you do, don't omit to recycle the bottle.

(It's as if the experts are now saying recycling is more important than avoiding getting dehydrated.)

I wonder what the next expert brainwave will be?

I have kidney issues. Water IS necessary. I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that it isn't. :confused:

Soda is not hydrating. I definitely don't drink dark soda (except for an occasional Dr. Pepper, if I want some caffeine. I don't drink anything else with caffeine in it, so it does the job if I'm going to be up all night for a lock in or something. It also calms my stomach if I'm sick) but I do drink Sprite once a week or so.

I don't mind juice, but I usually save that for the kids. Occasionally if I really want some I'll drink a small glass, 8 oz or so. But it's rare.

I shouldn't drink tea, but I do put one of the mix ins in my water every once in awhile. It's mango mandarin green tea, I think.

I've been in and out of the hospital with different things going on, and I'm well aware of what does and does not constitute dehydration. 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day is just not that big of a deal.

I drink more than that. Because I know its good for me. Period. :glare:

I have kidney issues. Water IS necessary. I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that it isn't. :confused:

Soda is not hydrating. I definitely don't drink dark soda (except for an occasional Dr. Pepper, if I want some caffeine. I don't drink anything else with caffeine in it, so it does the job if I'm going to be up all night for a lock in or something. It also calms my stomach if I'm sick) but I do drink Sprite once a week or so.

I don't mind juice, but I usually save that for the kids. Occasionally if I really want some I'll drink a small glass, 8 oz or so. But it's rare.

I shouldn't drink tea, but I do put one of the mix ins in my water every once in awhile. It's mango mandarin green tea, I think.

I've been in and out of the hospital with different things going on, and I'm well aware of what does and does not constitute dehydration. 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day is just not that big of a deal.

I drink more than that. Because I know its good for me. Period. :glare:

Yes, good post. Excellent sentiment.

I NEVER drank much water until Possum was born and i was drinking heaps because i was expressing LOTS of milk. Now i sit a 2L container on the bench and i make sure i drink it each day and what a difference it has made. My skin is clearer, i'm much more regular, i feel like i've got more energy and i'm not nearly as hungry. I certainly think drinking 6-8 glasses (the AUS rec) of water per day is essential.

I am not a big water drinker, but I am convinced it's necessary. I have spent most of my life partially dehydrated because I hate water. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my second and doing all the pee tests and my midwife discovered protein in the urine and told me I was killing my kidneys that I actually started to care.

The more you drink on a consistent basis the thirstier you are. If you are used to a little, your body seems to get used to it.

I'm too young to be killing any part of me. Your body needs water to function properly.

:iagree: The bolded part has been my experience.

If I don't drink enough water, I will get a tension headache by evening, without fail. If I don't start my day with a large cup of water, I will be really crabby within a few hours. It took me years to finally makes these connections.

As for the amount, I'm not sure. Probably averaging 8 cups/day. I do know that 2-4 is not enough for me.

Dr. Edell said that he doesn't know where the X-number-of-glasses-of-water-a-day figure came from. He says that you don't have to have actual water, but that any liquid counts, even the liquid in the food you eat.

If you are thirsty, drink. If you aren't don't. Seems to me that should work.:)

I drink a lot. :)

When pouring myself a glass of water for dinner I usually fill the glass at the sink and drink it all in one long sip. The glass I use hold 1 1/2 cups of water. (I had to measure that just now)

I use to not drink a lot, and a few years ago I started drinking more. I have never noticed a health change. But I do like water now.

I drink a lot. :)

When pouring myself a glass of water for dinner I usually fill the glass at the sink and drink it all in one long sip. The glass I use hold 1 1/2 cups of water. (I had to measure that just now)

I use to not drink a lot, and a few years ago I started drinking more. I have never noticed a health change. But I do like water now.

Julie: Yes, I drink a lot more than I used to, expert opinions or otherwise. Sheer common sense, I think.

Yes to the 1/2 your body weight in ounces each day. At least that much.

If you have trouble getting that much:

- Work up to it. Each day add a little bit more until you reach 1/2 your body weight in ounces.

- Drink from an opaque cup. You'll drink more if you can't see how much is left in the cup.

- Drink with a straw.

- Try adding in a bit of lemon or lime juice. Some like cucumber in their water.

And YES, getting in enough water each day does matter!!! It helps with so many body functions. Do a little research and you'll find which ones and how water helps. :)

Yes to the 1/2 your body weight in ounces each day. At least that much.

If you have trouble getting that much:

- Work up to it. Each day add a little bit more until you reach 1/2 your body weight in ounces.

- Drink from an opaque cup. You'll drink more if you can't see how much is left in the cup.

- Drink with a straw.

- Try adding in a bit of lemon or lime juice. Some like cucumber in their water.

And YES, getting in enough water each day does matter!!! It helps with so many body functions. Do a little research and you'll find which ones and how water helps. :)

Heather:

I heard somewhere a statistic about just how much of our body mass consists of water!

Essential to the daily diet, I'm sure. Ppl can fast for weeks, but they need water day by day.