Menu

How do you pronounce the name "Siobhan"?

There was a finalist on American Idol a few seasons ago with this name.

My best recollection (so how many Americans might pronounce it) is Shu-Von. With a short "u" and short "o" sound.

I had no idea how to pronounce it until she was on the show. Such a beautiful name! (I'm assuming her pronunciation was correct, but maybe not?)

Sha-VONN. Lots of Irish names 'round these parts (MA), like Sean (Shawn) and Sinéad (Shi-NADE). The Siobhan on Idol was from MA.

I believe Caitlin is just the Irish spelling for Kathleen (and pronounced that way there), but the Caitlins here pronounce it Kate-lynn, even though the traditional pronunciations for the other names are used....

Yes, that's how it's said here. I won't say the "joke" surrounding the name, though (shove on......:lol:)

Yes, Laura's pronunciation is how I've heard it pronounced. I think you're probably our resident expert on the pronunciation of Irish names though, Lorraine :D. I might come a close second, as I was brought up in Liverpool ;).

Best wishes

Cassy

My dd is learning Gaelic because she loves Ireland and fiddling.

An "h" after another letter renders that letter null and void (LOL) so the "b" would be silent and an "s" is nearly always pronounced "sh." So the pronunciations you have gotten are correct.

Took us the longest time to learn that Comhaltas (the Irish group that runs the All Ireland competition) is pronounced more like "coltas" but we are learning.

Yes, Laura's pronunciation is how I've heard it pronounced. I think you're probably our resident expert on the pronunciation of Irish names though, Lorraine :D. I might come a close second, as I was brought up in Liverpool ;).

Best wishes

Cassy

Heh heh, I wish I could claim that title but Irish names are only used within the catholic community here, so I am as clueless as everyone else. Siobhan is a more popular one and my husband's cousin (uncle married a catholic) is called that. I had a college friend called Sinead (Shin-aid) but was very puzzled once when I had to read out Roisin. It's Row-sheen. :tongue_smilie: