Menu

I've found myself on the wrong side of the law.

I need you to make me feel better about it. All my husband has been able to offer is laughter.

I got a speeding ticket in June and forgot to pay it. I was pulled over for running a stop sign this afternoon and found out my license was suspended on 12/9. :eek: Holy crap!!

The officer was nice. He didn't impound my car but I have a feeling this is going to cost a lot of money.

You reminded me of the ticket I got . . . I paid the speeding part and then they sent me a bill for an additional amount for something I could not read. It said pay by the end of the year. Then I got another one saying I was about to be arrested if I didn't pay within X days. Pretty sure X days have passed.

We could be cell-mates!

I think it will be OK. Just pay the fine. Usually they just want your money.

Good luck!

I could have gotten into a TON of trouble, but fortunately, I never got pulled over.

The dealership from which we bought our car mixed up our license plates with another car. I drove for 9 mos with plates belonging to another car. They discovered the mix up at the end of the year...

I could have gotten into a TON of trouble, but fortunately, I never got pulled over.

The dealership from which we bought our car mixed up our license plates with another car. I drove for 9 mos with plates belonging to another car. They discovered the mix up at the end of the year...

Oh my goodness! How did they discover the mix up?

I think I've learned my lesson. I need to slow down and quit running that one certain stop sign. I hate speed limits and stop signs.

My 10 and 14 year old were with me and thought it was kind of cool. See...if they had been in school they would have never had that wonderful hands-on life lesson of being pulled over by a cop. Homeschooling opens up so many opportunities.

I got a speeding ticket in CO & forgot about it... I paid it but it was postmarked by the due date instead of arriving by the due date. So they sent the check back to me with a court date. I went to court & they lowered the fine:confused:.

I got another speeding ticket in IL & since I had an out of state licence (& didn't want to pay the officer in cash on the spot :confused:) I had to appear in court. That one wasn't fun. I was 8 months pregnant with 3 kids in tow.

Whatever happens, it'll be OK. I had a lot of anxiety about both of these incidents beforehand but it was all OK.

Yeah, just pay the fine.

At least he let you go.

When I forgot to pay the fine I got hauled off in handcuffs.

Oops.

Back in the day we would have to haul someone in (in handcuffs) for a suspended license. Bond would have to be posted, vehicle taken off the road (usually by a tow truck), prints and pix taken.

I suppose it depends on where one lives and what one's state laws say.

Back in the day we would have to haul someone in (in handcuffs) for a suspended license. Bond would have to be posted, vehicle taken off the road (usually by a tow truck), prints and pix taken.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have a sibling in the car and they let her take it home. I did get printed and pixed though.

The best part of it was that my sister had to call mom and explain why we were going to be late home.

Her reaction was ... interesting. Let's just say my sister was nearly deafened by the screams.

My aunt was arrested at the DPS 10 years after a ticket she forgot to pay. She had gone in to renew her license. My mom also had a warrant issued for her but that was a paper work error as she actually had paid her ticket LOL

Hang in there. It will be ok once it is all over.

It was more of a rolling stop thing. I slowed down as I approached the sign.

I was pulling out from a side road onto a main road and there was a ton of cars coming on the main road so I didn't want to have to wait for them to pass. Waiting would have been quicker in this case.

I think I've learned my lesson. I need to slow down and quit running that one certain stop sign. I hate speed limits and stop signs.

My 10 and 14 year old were with me and thought it was kind of cool. See...if they had been in school they would have never had that wonderful hands-on life lesson of being pulled over by a cop. Homeschooling opens up so many opportunities.

I was sympathetic until I read the part I bolded.

Once a 45 year old woman ran a stop sign and hit my DD and I so hard our van flipped over and spun 180 D. before it stopped. We were hanging upside down from our seatbelts. Thank God we healed from our injuries but my DD still cringes in the car if she sees another car approaching on her right.

The woman had the nerve to tell the police I ran my stop sign. Only problem with her theory -- I HAD NO STOP SIGN. I often wonder if she just didn't feel like stopping and assumed I had to stop and just flew thru her sign.

I was sympathetic until I read the part I bolded.

Once a 45 year old woman ran a stop sign and hit my DD and I so hard our van flipped over and spun 180 D. before it stopped. We were hanging upside down from our seatbelts. Thank God we healed from our injuries but my DD still cringes in the car if she sees another car approaching on her right.

The woman had the nerve to tell the police I ran my stop sign. Only problem with her theory -- I HAD NO STOP SIGN. I often wonder if she just didn't feel like stopping and assumed I had to stop and just flew thru her sign.

I looked first and my pulling out didn't impact the oncoming cars. They didn't have to slow down or alter their course because I pulled out but having said that, I know I should have stopped.

Yeah, just pay the fine.

At least he let you go.

When I forgot to pay the fine I got hauled off in handcuffs.

Oops.

Oh yeah, this happened to me, too. (Here y'all thought I was a law abiding gal....but I've spent a few hours in the slammer...)

My dad was really sick. I was a 20 something gal very distracted by my dad's illness and forgot to pay a speeding ticket...for a couple of years. I got pulled over for an expired sticker and he had to haul me away. And I still had to pay a big fine.

It's an experience I NEVER want to repeat. That's kept me on the right side of the law....speed wise any way. :tongue_smilie: I hate paying traffic tickets.

I looked first and my pulling out didn't impact the oncoming cars. They didn't have to slow down or alter their course because I pulled out but having said that, I know I should have stopped.

I understand what you are saying. You didn't go completely thru the stop sign (which is different than what the woman did to us).

thank goodness he didn't arrest you! Shouldn't you have had some sort of notification about your licence being cancelled?

I went to register my car one year and got told it wasn't mine - those plates had been registered to someone else in error. I was very glad no problems had arisen because of that one.

We have a stop sign in our neighborhood that I hate. I have to go through it each time I enter or leave our neighborhood from the back way. As you come to the end of the street, there is a 90 degree left turn to enter the neighborhood. There is a stop sign there even though the only option is to turn left. Exiting the neighborhood, there is a stop sign even though the only option is a right hand turn. I think the original intention was to to have the roads go through with 4 way stop, but the economy crashed and the roads were never extended. Now every so often a cop will sit there off the road to be sure everyone is making their complete stop before proceeding into or out of the neighborhood. It's asinine. I got pulled over there once when I rolled through. I was distracted by some bad news and when the cop pulled me over, I burst into hysterical tears. I think I freaked her out a little. :lol:

Go immediately to the courthouse! or Call!!

Talk to the clerk, find out if you must go before the judge.

Go now, take your kids, go in your robe, whatever....

tell the clerk

who has heard a million stories (excuses) but they do have hearts!

YOU probably have a bench warrant for your arrest. Which means the police officer could have hauled you in right then, or another police man could come to your house and arrest you.

Homeschooling moment I would like to not teach. :tongue_smilie:

Waiting any longer is not recommended.

Sometimes when you go before the judge and claim pure honest "duh moment" they are lenient.

But every day you wait, oh it gets ugly!

thank goodness he didn't arrest you! Shouldn't you have had some sort of notification about your licence being cancelled?

They were suspended on 12/9 so I half expected something today but it didn't arrive.

I was going to go pay the ticket today but I have a sick kid. I hope to go tomorrow.

Edited by Trresh

If you know someone who is a lawyer ask them to represent you - they can get things like this reduced on your record/fines and taken care of. SERIOUSLY - this is one of those times it's worth it to hire someone you know to help you out.

I don't get this. The OP was ticketed for speeding, forgot to pay the fine, and was then pulled over for doing a rolling stop through a stop sign. Why should she get out of it or have her fines reduced? (Not that the op was asking to do this) Why would that be a good thing?

Ugg, I've been trying to stay away from this one and I won't pop back in but my dad and brother were killed because someone did a rolling stop through a stop sign. I guess I don't find it funny.

If you know someone who is a lawyer ask them to represent you - they can get things like this reduced on your record/fines and taken care of. SERIOUSLY - this is one of those times it's worth it to hire someone you know to help you out.

I don't know anyone. The officer said I can get another court date. I may try that. I haven't been able to get through to the traffic offense office or whatever it's called.

From the pamphlet given with the ticket, I think I'll owe $151 plus 10% for each month the original ticket was late, $151 for running the stop sign and another $151 for driving on a suspended license. I'm not sure if there are other costs to reinstate my license. Ugh....Stupid tax, as Dave Ramsey would call it.

Curious, if a person forgot to pay and went in (with kids) to pay, and police told her too late that warrant was already issued, and called a bondsman to come over from across the street to post the money, does that mean she was technically arrested? Even though she was never handcuffed, fingerprinted or photographed?

I don't know anyone. The officer said I can get another court date. I may try that. I haven't been able to get through to the traffic offense office or whatever it's called.

From the pamphlet given with the ticket, I think I'll owe $151 plus 10% for each month the original ticket was late, $151 for running the stop sign and another $151 for driving on a suspended license. I'm not sure if there are other costs to reinstate my license. Ugh....Stupid tax, as Dave Ramsey would call it.

Then I would hire a lawyer - it will be part of your 'stupid tax'. You dont want the suspended license on your permanent record, and a lawyer can help with that (something like 'if you have no other moving violations for 2 years, this will drop off your record' and your fines will all be lumped together and potentially lower).

I used to live in a town with a lot of people who had moved to the United States from other countries.

They seemed to think stop signs were optional. :confused:

Care to enlighten me?

Totally OT, but I lived in Naples, Italy for 3 years. They didn't have tons of stop signs, but the ones they did have were totally optional. As a matter of fact, we were almost hit several times for stopping at them. Stop lights were only slightly less optional, lol.

Then I would hire a lawyer - it will be part of your 'stupid tax'. You dont want the suspended license on your permanent record, and a lawyer can help with that (something like 'if you have no other moving violations for 2 years, this will drop off your record' and your fines will all be lumped together and potentially lower).

I just got through to the traffic violations office. She said I need to pay my original ticket of $151 (they no longer do the 10% thing) immediately and they'll reinstate my license. I then need to come to my court date on 2/1 for the other two tickets. She said I'll meet w/ the prosecutor who will either dismiss my ticket for driving on a suspended license or will lower the charge. She said if I just pay it the BMV will suspend my license for 90 days and I'll have to pay the BMV to get them reinstated. She said since my driving record was clean other than this mess and especially since they had just been suspended and I wasn't aware of it yet she expects him to drop the driving on a suspended license charge.

I'm really kicking myself. I'm thankful I have until February to take care of the rest of it, though. It gets a little tight around here during Christmas time.