Menu

I have a question if you conceal carry

I don't carry in my purse - a thief is most likely to take that and I don't want him to get my weapon as well. I also don't want a child going into my purse and finding it. I have a holster that fits on the inside of my waistband and I wear it right by where my pocket is so it's less conspicuous. It's not the most comfortable thing when I'm sitting down, but it keeps it in a handy location and is easily concealed with a loose shirt. If I'm sitting much, I can always slide it over towards the outside of my hip. My dad prefers to use a pocket holster, but I find that it doesn't work so well with my pants as women's pockets are smaller.

Edited by Krista in LA

Give Mark Turner a call

http://www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com/Info.html

and tell him which pistol you're carrying. He'll steer you in the right direction. I haven't seen Mark since I moved to North Carolina 30 years ago, but we grew up together and lived across the street from each other. You can trust his advice.

Oh, yeah. I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP in a prototype holster that Milt Sparks made for me back in 1979, before Mark started making holsters. If I were buying one today, it'd be one of Mark's.

Wow :001_huh:

This is not a converation I can imagine any woman in Australia having.

Are you guys really allowed to carry guns around in public? Is it the same in every State?

And why do you do it?

I just can't see my safety threatened enough out in public here to need to carry a gun above taking the usual precautions such as staying out of dark areas and not walking alone at night.

Please explain :D

I can't even keep track of my phone.

I am exactly the sort of person who should never 'carry'. You can't even have a kid call on their phone to ring for your weaponry location.

I think the world is a safer place because it's only my phone I leave all over kingdom come.

If I did have a gun, I'd need something like The Clapper to attach to it.

America is a big honking country (well, not as big and honking seeming as Australia) and many of these things are regional. I have never known a regular person who carried a weapon. Or one who said they did.

Are you guys really allowed to carry guns around in public? Is it the same in every State?

And why do you do it?

I just can't see my safety threatened enough out in public here to need to carry a gun above taking the usual precautions such as staying out of dark areas and not walking alone at night.

Edited by LibraryLover

America is a big honking country (well, not as big and honking as Australia) and many of these things are regional. I have never known a regular person who carried a weapon. Or one who said they did.

Well I was pretty sure it was not the same in every State - I was just curious as to how many States it is legal to carry a handgun on you in public and the reason as to why you would want to :)

I remember the first time I flew to Canada and we had a stop over in LA. As our luggage went through customs there were all these armed guards standing around the conveyor belt and those weapons weren't concealed they were big huge honking things they carried using both hands or slung across their shoulders :001_huh:

I have to admit - it freaked me out not being used to seeing weapons so casually out in public. This of course was just after 9/11 so maybe it has changed now.

We don't have weapons out on display like that here -not even in our airports. I do know that police carry them but they are small handguns on their waists. Nobody else is allowed to carry a weapon in public like that (not that people don't but those people are generally known as criminals and gang members) - certainly not your everyday housewife.

I'm not saying it is wrong to carry a gun on you I'm just curious as to why you would want to? Do you really feel that threatened that you might need it for your safety? I've never felt that level of threat before KWIM?

I have no idea about state laws re guns. I've flown quite a bit, and I am not seeing guards with big guns in US airports. I do think the fire power show after 9/11 was immense, so I am sure you saw what you saw. I never see guns where I am. We were just in NYC for Christmas festivities, and I didn't see that at all.

I am sure it varies, depending on where one lives. I remember being freaked out in Paris by the guns slung over police in Metro stations. I thought the same of Spain and Greece. I had never seen that kind of overt fire power in any US subway system. Or didn't used to. I didn't see it, not even in NYC recently.

I know Americans satatistically own lots of guns, i just don't see them out and about. We have Swiss friends, the whole family owns guns, and go to the driving rage frequently. I know that Americans do that as well. I don't, although I think it might be very interesting.

Well I was pretty sure it was not the same in every State - I was just curious as to how many States it is legal to carry a handgun on you in public and the reason as to why you would want to :)

I remember the first time I flew to Canada and we had a stop over in LA. As our luggage went through customs there were all these armed guards standing around the conveyor belt and those weapons weren't concealed they were big huge honking things they carried using both hands or slung across their shoulders :001_huh:

I have to admit - it freaked me out not being used to seeing weapons so casually out in public. This of course was just after 9/11 so maybe it has changed now.

We don't have weapons out on display like that here -not even in our airports. I do know that police carry them but they are small handguns on their waists. Nobody else is allowed to carry a weapon in public like that (not that people don't but those people are generally known as criminals and gang members) - certainly not your everyday housewife.

I'm not saying it is wrong to carry a gun on you I'm just curious as to why you would want to? Do you really feel that threatened that you might need it for your safety? I've never felt that level of threat before KWIM?

Edited by LibraryLover

I read that as "conceal curry". I must be hungry.

I don't think curry is something you can conceal.

When I was pregnant with my first child we lived in an apartment above a family of devout curry-eaters. They had curry three times a day, I swear. If they weren't eating it they were cooking it for later.

If I'd known how to conceal a curry I would have marched down there and told them.

This story is about a local university student who, when shot by an armed robber, pulled out his own legally "concealed carried" gun and shot back. Temple University, though is in a bad neighborhood, in a very poor, urban area.

"Concealed carry", though, is just that - concealed. The idea is that you don't see the gun. I'm not sure why CC rather than open carry; open might have discouraged the robber in the story above. I assume state laws come into play.

One of my relatives is always carrying; they work in law enforcement and it's a job requirement. You would never, never pick this person out of a crowd as the one with a gun.

Part of the reason we carry is it's our constitutional right. The more people who exercise the right to own and carry guns, the harder lawmakers will think about taking those rights away. I live in the country in Oklahoma which is just a stones throw from Texas. It'd be a rare person here who didn't own at least one gun. :D

Edited by zookeeper

Have you ever been to a major French train station (like Gare de Lyon in Paris)? There are soldiers carrying automatic weapons keeping on eye on things... They kind of scare me! I know LAX has been the target of possible terrorist plots so that might be why they were out in force there.

The guys with guns are at the airports in France too (no doubt also due to terrorist threat)... I remember when my son was 5 and he decided that's what he wanted to do when he grew up, and that we could move to a house next to the airport in Paris.

:lol:

eta: I don't own any guns

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

I believe concealed and or open carry are allowed in every state. You do have to have a permit, which entails taking a class, being fingerprinted, etc. My dh carries, and I will when I am past the baby on my body stage. As for why...well, I hope I would never ever need to use it. But if anyone threatened my life, or my child's life, I would want to be able to defend myself. You say your town is safe if you stay out of dark alleys or what not...is that REALLY true? Are women not raped in Australia? That is my main reason.

I do have my own gun, in a safe in my bedroom, and I know how to use it. Actually, dh is at the range right now helping teach a friend's mother how to shoot.

You don't see the guns on the street, because in almost all states they must be concealed. But they are out there.

For the OP, I hear the crossbreed holsters are the most comfortable. But I will probably end up with a concealed carry purse at some point. They can be carried across the body like a messenger bag, have straps that are enforced with wire so they can't be easily cut off, and some have a lock on the compartment as well. I like the lock feature, so that if I'm at a friend's house, or at dinner at a restaurant and have the purse on my chair or whatnot I'm not worried someone is going to reach for a tissue and grab a gun. (and neither my dh or I carry a round in the chamber, so a child would have to be impossibly strong to rack the slide and actually use the gun).

I believe concealed and or open carry are allowed in every state. You do have to have a permit, which entails taking a class, being fingerprinted, etc. My dh carries, and I will when I am past the baby on my body stage. As for why...well, I hope I would never ever need to use it. But if anyone threatened my life, or my child's life, I would want to be able to defend myself. You say your town is safe if you stay out of dark alleys or what not...is that REALLY true? Are women not raped in Australia? That is my main reason.

I do have my own gun, in a safe in my bedroom, and I know how to use it. Actually, dh is at the range right now helping teach a friend's mother how to shoot.

You don't see the guns on the street, because in almost all states they must be concealed. But they are out there.

For the OP, I hear the crossbreed holsters are the most comfortable. But I will probably end up with a concealed carry purse at some point. They can be carried across the body like a messenger bag, have straps that are enforced with wire so they can't be easily cut off, and some have a lock on the compartment as well. I like the lock feature, so that if I'm at a friend's house, or at dinner at a restaurant and have the purse on my chair or whatnot I'm not worried someone is going to reach for a tissue and grab a gun. (and neither my dh or I carry a round in the chamber, so a child would have to be impossibly strong to rack the slide and actually use the gun).

Do you have a link to something like that?

I have no idea why someone would feel the need to carry a gun around. The two people that I know of that do this seem to do it as some sort of status symbol.

From the news reports I've seen, there are far more kids killed by playing with their parents' guns than there are people shooting criminals. Just a few months ago in my area there was a 3 yr old who got a gun out of his mom's purse and shot his 2 yr old brother in the head. :(

IMO, there's more of a chance that the wrong person will get a hold of your gun than there is of you successfully shooting the "right" person.

I know somebody with a pocket holster. He has a small gun and it fits in his front jean pocket. Just looks like a wallet. He has a physical disability that would prevent him from fleeing in the face of danger or really protecting his family. He prays he never uses it but likes knowing it is there. He made his own pocket holster out of leather and does great work. PM me if you need more info.

As a Texan several people I know have their concealed carry license. Young and old, male, female. I have toyed with getting one just because I can, not because I want to carry.

It also allows your to purchase guns quicker. There is less waiting and paperwork involved.

I don't think curry is something you can conceal.

When I was pregnant with my first child we lived in an apartment above a family of devout curry-eaters. They had curry three times a day, I swear. If they weren't eating it they were cooking it for later.

If I'd known how to conceal a curry I would have marched down there and told them.

:lol:

My parents bought an apartment from a family who were Indian. The apartment had the smell of indian spices for months after they moved out.

America is a big honking country (well, not as big and honking as Australia) and many of these things are regional. I have never known a regular person who carried a weapon. Or one who said they did.

Yes, I"m also in the eastern United States and ditto what LibraryLover said. Truth be told, when the topic comes up here it kind of skeeves me out. And scares me a little. :eek:

:leaving:

astrid

I have no idea why someone would feel the need to carry a gun around. The two people that I know of that do this seem to do it as some sort of status symbol.

From the news reports I've seen, there are far more kids killed by playing with their parents' guns than there are people shooting criminals. Just a few months ago in my area there was a 3 yr old who got a gun out of his mom's purse and shot his 2 yr old brother in the head. :(

IMO, there's more of a chance that the wrong person will get a hold of your gun than there is of you successfully shooting the "right" person.

I agree, it's horribly sad to hear stories like that. We take great precautions in making sure our kids don't have access to guns and that they learn the proper respect for a weapon early on.

But I think the reason for finding the media skewed is, in a lot of cases, the crime never takes place. Granted all I really have is anecdotal evidence, but in talking with gun toting people, that's the way it happens. When the criminal realizes his victim is going to stand by and BE a victim, he flees. No crime to report.

Yes, I"m also in the eastern United States and ditto what LibraryLover said. Truth be told, when the topic comes up here it kind of skeeves me out. And scares me a little. :eek:

:leaving:

astrid

Have you ever shot a gun Astrid? I agree that guns can be scary,especially if it is an unknown. Since I was a girl I was not educated on guns by my dad, but since becoming an adult I have become more familiar with guns, how to use them correctly and what not. Now they aren't so scary, more like a tool which when used properly and safely is no more dangerous than other things we use with little thought. I do enjoy target practice. Just like ATV's and Jetski's scare me it is mostly just my lack of first hand knowledge . Do you remember learning to drive? That was scary and people die from cars, but yet most of us use those daily with little thought. A gun is very similar. Yes you hear about the kids that get shot and that is tragic but trust me there are lots of kids learning to handle guns with respect, whose parents take measure to ensure their child's safety.

We're an anomaly here in Texas as we don't own any firearms whatsoever. I'm not opposed to it on a Constitutional level, but I just don't feel a need for our family personally. My DH is in the military and he has gone through times of deployment when he carried one with him 24/7. He brags about his camel-hide holsters. :lol: But here in TX, when you enter Walmart there is a sign on the door telling you not to bring your guns into the store. :lol: ETA to mention that I was a marksman when I was in the military, so it's not like I have a fear of guns.

I will have to check my local walmart for that sign but in TX the sign has to be worded exactly and be a certain size. Lots of places post no firearms which isn't what they have to post, so concealed carriers can still carry. ;)

Statistically, a child is 100 times more likely to drown in a swimming pool than be accidentally killed by a gun.

And why do you do it?

I think only Illinois (and Washington DC) denies law abiding citizens the right to carry concealed.

Studies have shown that concealed carry holders are more law abiding than the general public.

People carry for personal safety. No one that I know, who carries, wants to use their weapon but they look at it very much like insurance.

You have insurance against fire on the rare chance that your house may burn down, these people carry on the much more likely chance that they will need a gun. It is an insurance on their remaining alive. Just as you take the precaution of not walking alone at night these people take the precaution of having a gun on them.

Frankly I like the thought of more of my fellow law abiding citizens carrying concealed weapons. As I stated they have been shown to be safer that the average and there are hundreds, no tens of thousands, of cases of criminals being driven off by armed citizens. This is a good thing.

Edited by pqr

The people I know who do are not discussing it with other people in general. Occasionally the topic of guns will come up, and the shared interest will often lead to discovering someone you've known for several years carries ALL the time.

We are usually surprised when we find one of our friends carries. Like I said, it's not something you share with people.

It's not legal everywhere; I think there are local ordinances that might ban handguns. WashDC, for example, does not allow any handguns. There's a website you can check if you are traveling across state lines. Some states have reciprocal agreements and your concealed carry permit is valid there.

Why carry? Because random acts of violence that have made national news have happened close enough to our family to believe that we are better protected.

It's such a horrible, senseless tragedy when kids are killed when playing with guns. It's irresponsible to leave your weapon in such a way that anyone else can access it. You take safety measures to protect your children from knives, cars, poisons; guns should be treated at least as seriously.

It's probably more common in conservative areas.

To answer the OPs question.

Do not carry in a purse as that is the first thing that will be grabbed or taken off you in the event of an attack.

Carrying in the small of your back or on an ankle holster is frequently preferred by small framed women. In Winter you can carry below your left br&&st in a shoulder holster (assuming that you are right handed). This is fairly well concealed under a jacket.

First, however, go to a professional and ask.

Edited by pqr

Have you ever shot a gun Astrid? I agree that guns can be scary,especially if it is an unknown. Since I was a girl I was not educated on guns by my dad, but since becoming an adult I have become more familiar with guns, how to use them correctly and what not. Now they aren't so scary, more like a tool which when used properly and safely is no more dangerous than other things we use with little thought. I do enjoy target practice. Just like ATV's and Jetski's scare me it is mostly just my lack of first hand knowledge . Do you remember learning to drive? That was scary and people die from cars, but yet most of us use those daily with little thought. A gun is very similar. Yes you hear about the kids that get shot and that is tragic but trust me there are lots of kids learning to handle guns with respect, whose parents take measure to ensure their child's safety.

No, I've never shot a gun. I didn't grow up in a family that had/used/was interested in guns, so the opportunity never arose. I doubt I would have participated if it had, honestly. Though dh hunted as a kid, he does not now and actually left his hunting guns (just a .22 and something else-- can't remember, but nothing automatic) at his parents' house.

Personally, I don't equate cars to guns. Yes, learning to drive was scary at first, but the primary purpose of cars, jet skis, ATVs, etc. is not to kill people. Guns are designed to kill things. And people.

I completely understand that there are many kids learning to handle guns with respect, whose parents are raising responsible gun owners. I just do not like guns, and I am not comfortable around them, even when others have them and I KNOW they are handling them safely. I just don't like them.

astrid

I agree, it's horribly sad to hear stories like that. We take great precautions in making sure our kids don't have access to guns and that they learn the proper respect for a weapon early on.

But I think the reason for finding the media skewed is, in a lot of cases, the crime never takes place. Granted all I really have is anecdotal evidence, but in talking with gun toting people, that's the way it happens. When the criminal realizes his victim is going to stand by and BE a victim, he flees. No crime to report.

But it seems like people would want to report attempted crimes, too, wouldn't they? To help protect the next potential victim?

Statistically, a child is 100 times more likely to drown in a swimming pool than be accidentally killed by a gun.

Yes, but people can't hide swimming pools in their purses. I'm likely to know when my kids are going to be around a swimming pool.

LOL...one who "conceals" certainly won't tell you they're carrying. :D

But it seems like people would want to report attempted crimes, too, wouldn't they? To help protect the next potential victim?

The majority of conversations I've had with people (again, anecdotal) they were being approached by someone with bad intentions, showed their weapon, and the perp fled. What's to report?

Not my experience...the ones I knew both loved to show off their guns (this was a few years ago, both were men in their 20s). One guy was extremely antagonistic, and the other was paranoid about crime. Neither one was the type I would trust with any type of weapon.

So this is the type of person I picture with a concealed handgun. That's why the whole idea makes me nervous.

If you're right handed, two places that are comfortable and easy access are your left ankle (if you have the right pants on) or a holster that rests under your left b00k :001_smile:

ETA: And for the east coasters, I'm from NYC and have conceal carried there too, you'd likely be surprised how many, even on the east coast carry! Now that I'm in the midwest, it's very normal - likely the number with guns in their home and/or carrying is part of our insanely low crime rate here! No one knows who has the gun(s), so it's really rare to hear about break-ins and other random assaults....I feel a heck of a lot safer here than I did in NYC!

Edited by Tigger

Not my experience...the ones I knew both loved to show off their guns (this was a few years ago, both were men in their 20s). One guy was extremely antagonistic, and the other was paranoid about crime. Neither one was the type I would trust with any type of weapon.

So this is the type of person I picture with a concealed handgun. That's why the whole idea makes me nervous.

Sorry that's been your experience. The people I know who carry would not fit that stereotype at all. You'd probably never even suspect they carried. You probably know people who carry, but they don't tell.

I know somebody with a pocket holster. He has a small gun and it fits in his front jean pocket. Just looks like a wallet. He has a physical disability that would prevent him from fleeing in the face of danger or really protecting his family. He prays he never uses it but likes knowing it is there. He made his own pocket holster out of leather and does great work. PM me if you need more info.

As a Texan several people I know have their concealed carry license. Young and old, male, female. I have toyed with getting one just because I can, not because I want to carry.

It also allows your to purchase guns quicker. There is less waiting and paperwork involved.

So if your dh wants a bagel and you don't feel like toasting it?

This is why I like friends who wear nicely fitted clothing. I like a nice line. It's probably why I prefer to hang out at the beach. This way you can see who has a gun in the bathing suit top.

Assuming the bathing suit isn't 'modest' and actually a very loose dress.

Edited by LibraryLover

I carry in-the-waistband (IWB) at about 4 o'clock with an IWB Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Carrying in a purse is crazy, that's the first thing that will be taken from you in an attack. If you wear a dress, there are some pretty nice thigh holsters out there, if you have thin enough thighs, which I don't.

IL and DC do not allow their citizens to carry. NJ is a "may issue" state but good luck trying to get a permit there, not happening.

If you wear a dress, there are some pretty nice thigh holsters out there, if you have thin enough thighs, which I don't.

Okay, I have to ask. And again, bear in mind that I've never even had a NERF gun, but how exactly do you get to a thigh holster? Do you hike up your dress, reach between your legs and grab the gun? I'm sorry, I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I just can't visualize this without laughing out loud.

astrid (too tired, I guess!)

...and how many people do you know who never told you that they had a concealed permit?

That is the point most people will not tell you that they have a permit. For every one who does you have no idea how many did not and hence your experience is possibly skewed.

Edited by pqr