Menu

I have a question if you conceal carry

I have no idea why someone would feel the need to carry a gun around.

Same reason people wear a seatbelt and keep a fire extinguisher - in the hope they'll never need it, but admitting that it will protect them.

Not my experience...the ones I knew both loved to show off their guns (this was a few years ago, both were men in their 20s). One guy was extremely antagonistic, and the other was paranoid about crime. Neither one was the type I would trust with any type of weapon.

So this is the type of person I picture with a concealed handgun. That's why the whole idea makes me nervous.

That's like the proverbial "homeschooling" family everyone seems to know who never teaches anything - they're out there, but luckily not the majority. I'd bet you know others who carry, you just don't know that they do.

This is why I like friends who wear nicely fitted clothing. I like a nice line. It's probably why I prefer to hang out at the beach. This way you can see who has a gun in the bathing suit top.

I think you'd be surprised how well things can be concealed. A tankini can do it. ;)

OMG! Seriously?! A gun between your upper thighs?! What the WHAT?!

Wow. I had no idea. Wow. I have so many questions, I just don't even know where to begin.

astrid (see? I told you I was clueless about guns)

I had no idea either. Don't know that I would like that, but the gun was a .380. They are very small and lightweight. I can see how it would work very well in fact as they are so small.

BUT YOU STILL HAVE A GUN. BETWEEN YOUR LEGS.

:blink:

Doesn't it, um, chafe? Or at the very least feel weird when you sit down?

See, this is part of why I just don't get gun culture, I think. Ouch.

astrid

LOL! I would guess so. I didn't know they made such a holster. I have tried the pocket one in my jeans with the same caliber and it didn't bother me but yeah I don't know about one on my thigh. But then I don't hide money under my bOOks and I know some people do. To each their own.

Yep, "concealed carry" is supposed to mean that no one knows! And no one but family knows I carry. I wear it all day, and it goes directly into a safe at night when I take it off.

I never felt the need to defend myself before kids. Who was I to say who lives or dies? But with kids... I WILL protect them, and that includes protecting myself so that I can continue to care for them. Who else is going to love them as much as I do? :D

By the way, I love my holster. Comp-tac Minotaur neutral cant (appendix carry) holster. It's pricy, but worth every penny. So many people go through a bunch of $20 holsters until they invest in a quality one. Save yourself the trouble and get a good one to start. This is very comfortable. It's even comfortable when sitting... as long as the barrel isn't super long!

The Crossbreed Supertuck also looks very nice and comfortable and I've read great things about them.

Oh, and search online to see if there is a forum for your particular gun (glocktalk, smith-wessonforum, etc.) Browse and see what other people who carry your particular model say about their holsters.

wowee... coming from a country where even our police aren't armed, and it's illegal to own a hand gun, never mind carry a concealed weapon, this is an eye opener. I guess I'd just never thought that your average mum might need or want to carry a gun.

I really don't think many of our average mums across the country are carrying guns. ;)

I really don't think many of our average mums across the country are carrying guns. ;)

Looking at the number of posters on this thread who stated that they do and assuming that many others would not announce it or have not read the thread I suspect that you may be wrong.

This is a neat thread. I live in Texas. I know TONS of people that carry. I don't personally, but I have thought of getting my permit. I go to a large church and I know that there are at least 20 people packing at every service. If you are a law enforcement officer or have your permit to conceal our church staff expects you to be armed....of course that is only known by long standing members. Anyone that walks into our church with a church shooting in mind will be taken out quick!

As for why we would carry, why not? I haven't done it just because I haven't taken the time to get my permit, but I think it is a wonderful idea. I am a mom out on the road with my kids. I once had car trouble and it was close to an hour before a family member could get there to rescue us. I felt very vulnerable with no way to protect my kids. I would have felt so much safer if I had been carrying. And, no, I don't live in a high crime area.

Looking at the number of posters on this thread who stated that they do and assuming that many others would not announce it or have not read the thread I suspect that you may be wrong.

Sounds like fodder for a poll. No one local to me even owns a gun let alone carries one on them at all times and people tend to be pretty verbal about it. Most parents I know would not allow their child to have a playdate if they found out guns were in another families house. I think this is regional.

Sounds like fodder for a poll. No one local to me even owns a gun let alone carries one on them at all times and people tend to be pretty verbal about it. Most parents I know would not allow their child to have a playdate if they found out guns were in another families house. I think this is regional.

Not sure, ..... while there are some areas where guns are less frequently owned (major urban areas, I suspect) I would be surprised if there is any neighborhood in the US where people do not own guns.

As I said many people will not comment on it and if one is anti-gun I suspect that neighbors would not speak of it.

Remember Vermont does not have a concealed permit because it is deemed a right so no permit is needed.

Part of the reason we carry is it's our constitutional right. The more people who exercise the right to own and carry guns, the harder lawmakers will think about taking those rights away. I live in the county in Oklahoma which is just a stones throw from Texas. It'd be a rare person here who didn't own at least one gun. :D

Same here in PA. It's very easy to get a permit to carry concealed here, and it's allowed in all but a few places (federal buildings, national parks, IIRC). One reason to carry is because you can, to exercise your constitutional right and to make it more normal and accepted (sort of like why I breastfeed in public). But for practical reasons, the reality is that you just never know, and it's better to carry it and never need it than to wish you had had it. (And generally, a concealed weapon is going to stay concealed, and it's pretty unlikely that it will be discharged accidentally.)

...and how many people do you know who never told you that they had a concealed permit?

That is the point most people will not tell you that they have a permit. For every one who does you have no idea how many did not and hence your experience is possibly skewed.

Same reason people wear a seatbelt and keep a fire extinguisher - in the hope they'll never need it, but admitting that it will protect them

That's like the proverbial "homeschooling" family everyone seems to know who never teaches anything - they're out there, but luckily not the majority. I'd bet you know others who carry, you just don't know that

they do.

I think you'd be surprised how well things

can be concealed. A tankini can do it. ;)

Could be true, I guess. It's just hard to imagine people in my small town feeling like they need to carry one. People own guns for

hunting, but our area seems very safe. For instance, I feel safe enough to walk anywhere around here at night.

I'm curious to know what type of areas people who carry guns live. Do they live in larger cities with a lot of crime? Or do people in small towns also carry?

I think only Illinois (and Washington DC) denies law abiding citizens the right to carry concealed.

Maryland is also particularly difficult. If driving from PA to VA, for instance, your permit is good in PA (and it might reciprocate to VA too. . . I know their concealed carry laws are good), but to cross through MD, you have to put the gun in a locked case in the back of your vehicle or something like that. To go to the shooting range, in PA, you can just put the gun in your holster and be fine (if you have a permit); you can't do that in MD.

On the other hand, around here, it's pretty much just assumed that other families have guns in their homes. I would still ask, and I would not be offended if someone asked me about our household. Definitely regional.

Because so many have guns here (carry, hunting, etc.), it is expected there are guns in homes my child may visit, thus he is learning at a young age about real guns to protect himself - he knows what is acceptable and what is not, and I'm pretty darn sure his friends do too. Most of his friends have already gone hunting, fired guns, taken lessons, target shoot, etc. - guns aren't a problem when even children are educated about them!

I purposely moved out of NJ so I could carry my gun. I have a situation with my daughter where she witnessed her mother die in front of her. She told the police who was with her mother at the time and they arrested him. She was only seven years old at the time and she is 16 now. We have heard through the grapevine that this person was not happy with my daughter pointing him to the police and has made veiled threats. Threats that the police can do nothing about. He was even seen on our street at one time.

I always legally owned one gun while living in NJ, but could not get a carry permit, even with my situation. We decided to move 600 miles away to gun-friendly SC and the first thing I did was get my carry permit.

I have always owned a gun because it's my constitutional right to be able to protect my family. I grew up around guns and my dad taught me to shoot and respect guns as a child. I am doing the same with my children. My daughter, at 16, is a pretty good shot. When she is old enough to get her carry permit, she will. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

As for the average mom carrying, they carry a LOT more than most realize. Carry concealed means just that... concealed. No one knows. And most responsible gun owners don't flaunt it.

I believe it is definitely a regional thing. I lived in NJ all my life up until 2 yrs ago and NO ONE is allowed to carry there. Other then LEO and a few people in my family I know of no one that keeps a gun in the house. All of my friends thought I was crazy for owning a gun.

I moved to SC two years ago and everyone I know has not just a gun, but several including shot guns, rifles and handguns. I know several moms that carry here. Generally, an unarmed person is oblivious to someone that does carry. I was very self conscious when I first started to carry but then quickly realized that I noticed a few people carrying concealed. Unless you know where to look and what to look for (ex..belt clips) the person that doesn't carry has no clue.

If my thighs were thin enough I would try a thigh holster to wear under sun dresses when it's broiling hot here in the summer. I also like the bra holster, I can easily conceal there lol..but carrying IWB at 4 o'clock is the most comfortable for me. I wear it everyday, even while at home, and only take it off when I take a shower or go to bed. I feel naked when I can't enter a building with it and am required to take it off.

I think a poll is a good idea.

Yep, "concealed carry" is supposed to mean that no one knows! And no one but family knows I carry. I wear it all day, and it goes directly into a safe at night when I take it off.

I never felt the need to defend myself before kids. Who was I to say who lives or dies? But with kids... I WILL protect them, and that includes protecting myself so that I can continue to care for them. Who else is going to love them as much as I do? :D

By the way, I love my holster. Comp-tac Minotaur neutral cant (appendix carry) holster. It's pricy, but worth every penny. So many people go through a bunch of $20 holsters until they invest in a quality one. Save yourself the trouble and get a good one to start. This is very comfortable. It's even comfortable when sitting... as long as the barrel isn't super long!

The Crossbreed Supertuck also looks very nice and comfortable and I've read great things about them.

Oh, and search online to see if there is a forum for your particular gun (glocktalk, smith-wessonforum, etc.) Browse and see what other people who carry your particular model say about their holsters.

I'm sure you mean this advice for the OP, correct?

I am not now, nor will I ever be in the market for a holster, concealed or otherwise.

Just hoping this info doesn't get buried below this line of replies...

astrid

I'm sure you mean this advice for the OP, correct?

I am not now, nor will I ever be in the market for a holster, concealed or otherwise.

Just hoping this info doesn't get buried below this line of replies...

astrid

Never say never. I know of a mom who always said she would never, ever own a gun, much less carry a gun. One situation where your child is threatened/hurt/killed and you could have done something to help if you had been carrying, and I would bet my life you would change your mind.This mom I know of went from thinking no one should own guns to be a gun toting mama because she had a gun put to her head while her children were in the car with her.

I don't carry. We do own MANY guns - they are all in a huge gun safe.

My DH has tried for years to convince me to get a CC permit...

A few years back he was deployed with a friend of his, and that friend's wife was carjacked and raped while they were both gone. Their toddler was strapped into a car seat in the back of the car through the whole thing.

It really shook DH up and he has been trying to convince me ever since.

Thankfully, where we live right now, I really don't feel the need. However, I would seriously consider it if we were to move somewhere different.

wowee... coming from a country where even our police aren't armed, and it's illegal to own a hand gun, never mind carry a concealed weapon, this is an eye opener. I guess I'd just never thought that your average mum might need or want to carry a gun.

Agreed. And speaking as a homeschooler myself, I think it's fair to say that a board of homeschooling mothers doesn't represent the average US mum. ;)

In my circle of mom friends I can't imagine a single person even owning a weapon, much less carrying it in public. None of my mom friends would even allow their child to knowingly play in a home with firearms (some exceptions made, of course, for families with a parent in law enforcement, etc.)

I'm sure it is regional. IME, guns are much more acceptable in areas that are known for being much more conservative and religious. Me? I live in a very liberal and progressive kind of town. A gun-toting suburban soccer mom would be an exceptional oddity.

I live in a very rural area and hitting deer is common. Most trucks here used to always have a rifle in the gun rack but these days it's handy to have a pistol in case you need to dispatch a deer. And no, the gov't agencies aren't close enough to take care of it all for us at least not in any humane amount of time for the deer.

Also like I said, very rural area, no police officer could be here fast enough to help us if we needed it. I don't want to be the only one unarmed in the land of the armed and sometimes nutty.

Just FYI, 49 states allow concealed carry. Illinois is the only state that currently does not have some sort of "right to carry" law on the books. The District of Columbia is also a "no issue" area. Some states (Hawaii, Maryland, and New Jersey) as well as some counties in California and New York have a practice of "no issue" for concealed carry but there is no law mandating such.

Some states allow for "opt out" zones where private businesses can mandate/post "No guns on premise." I live in a state where businesses post such signs BUT do not have any legal clout to act if someone does carry. Federal and state government establishment are typically "no carry zones" in all states.

Also, there is a difference between "open carry" (allowed anywhere in WA without a permit) and "concealed carry" as denoted by their names. In many states, it is only the concealed carry that is regulated, so if you want to slap a pistol on your belt out in the open, go right ahead.

Additionally, in November 2011 the US House passed a concealed weapons bill that would allow someone who has a concealed carry permit in one state to carry in almost any other state. http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/house-passes-concealed-weapons-1227845.html

Agreed. And speaking as a homeschooler myself, I think it's fair to say that a board of homeschooling mothers doesn't represent the average US mum. ;)

In my circle of mom friends I can't imagine a single person even owning a weapon, much less carrying it in public. None of my mom friends would even allow their child to knowingly play in a home with firearms (some exceptions made, of course, for families with a parent in law enforcement, etc.)

I'm sure it is regional. IME, guns are much more acceptable in areas that are known for being much more conservative and religious. Me? I live in a very liberal and progressive kind of town. A gun-toting suburban soccer mom would be an exceptional oddity .

Yes. This. Exactly.

astrid

Incidentally, for women who cannot obtain a concealed carry permit or simply don't want to carry a deadly weapon, I would strongly suggest that you not depend on pepper spray or similar products. I've been sprayed with the best of them (in demonstrations), and they will not necessarily cause an attacker to desist. In fact, they may outrage him and cause him to hurt you more than he would have otherwise.

Instead, look at extensible batons. These resemble old-fashioned collapsible car radio antennas. In collapsed form, they're a foot or so long, but a snap of your wrist extends them to 30" or so and locks the sections into place. These are truly fearsome weapons, although you'll need to attend a training session to learn how to use one properly. Even a small woman can break an attacker's bones with a baton, and it's almost impossible for an attacker to take it away from the defender if it's wielded properly. Also, although many jurisdictions have extreme restrictions on carrying firearms or even pepper spray, many have no such restrictions on extensible batons. And, if a cop ever questions you about one, you can simply tell him that it's a pointer that you use when giving lectures.

Most of our friends have firearms. The ones that do have them locked up securely in safes. My kids are more likely to be hurt by a kitchen knife or a trampoline than the firearms in my friends' homes. It's definitely regional.

It may be regional - but we started owning guns and keeping them in a safe in California....

We may live in the South now, but we're not "southerners", I'm a libertarian (socially rather liberal), and not Christian.

As for those of you who won't let your kids play in a house where there are guns.... I would assume you mean where the guns aren't locked up? If that's what you mean - I agree.

If you mean that a family and home like ours, with guns locked up, is unacceptable,,,,, well,,,, I'm sure you can figure out my opinion on that.

Also like I said, very rural area, no police officer could be here fast enough to help us if we needed it. I don't want to be the only one unarmed in the land of the armed and sometimes nutty.

We're rural too - our HOA has 20 houses on almost 200 acres (not close to each other at all, but share some expenses like maintenance of common areas)....anyway, a couple of years ago at our HOA, we invited the county police to come by and discuss things like safety, etc. The two officers here were pretty frank, depending on the time of day and where they, the country police, we located within the county at the time of a call - we're ten minutes at best, an hour at worst, from someone arriving on the scene, and that was for an absolute emergency - if it wasn't an emergency, they often make an appointment to come out next day....a lot can happen in 10-60 minutes and they said most homeowners in our area protected themselves with a firearm in the house - just having it in the house and knowing how to use it was an effective deterrent since the vast majority of homes have one here.....which leaves those thinking about doing something a lot more skittish about breaking and entering - they don't know who has the guns in their homes, just the statistic that it's like 80%.

I live in a small town, generally very safe--I don't have a problem going to the grocery store just before closing or whatnot. But even in this environment, there have been times where I've been very grateful to be armed.

There have been 2 occasions where DH or I has had to arm ourselves at home. One time, some door-to-door salesmen were being obnoxious (repeat visits and not taking no for an answer) and DH answered the door armed to make it clear they were not to return. As it turns out, they were scammers who were robbing people when they came in for their "demonstrations".

Another time, I was home alone and someone was sneaking around on my front porch, not knocking, just looking through the window. DH came home quickly, but even the police couldn't have helped me if there had been a break-in. In the meantime, I was prepared to defend myself. That's when I realized I needed more than just a gun to protect my family if the kids are home when something happens--we've actually started training them for what to do in various kinds of emergencies, even beyond the typical fire drills and so on...where to go and what to do if this happens or if that happens.

There was also a situation when I was out and I was glad to be armed. I was leaving a late meeting and the only parking area was not lit, so when a guy who had been hanging out and cutting up with his buddies at the edge of the parking lot, approached my car in the dark, I had my weapon out very quickly, just in case. He was parked next to me and was just getting into his car, but I had no way of knowing that until it would have been too late.

Yes, I think that when I'm armed, I am a bit more paranoid. I notice people's movements more, who is where, and who might be approaching me or my children. But I think it's very important for us to be more aware of our environment, *especially* when we have the kids with us, because you can't just take off running away from a perp when you have 3 or 4 kids in tow. The stakes are so much higher now that I'm a mom. We live in a nice neighborhood in a nice town in a rural area. But even here, there are drug addicts or gangs who have caused problems. I used to hate guns bc I didn't know much about them. But DH and I took a class together, got our permits, and now we go to the range together so we both know how to use our weapons well. DH, especially, spends a lot of time with the kids training them how to handle guns respectfully. Being armed isn't a perfect solution, but it's better than being defenseless.

You have to look at America's history to understand it. America had to fight to get freedom from a group of people they didn't want ruling over them. Then there was a huge horizon of savage land to defend oneself from as America grew westward. And, for a long time many, many families had to hunt their own food. There are still quite a few families like that. Just watch "Swamp People". LOL The right, and even pride, in having one's own gun is considered very important to many people there. There are those who think it's a bad think, but not everyone will agree on everything no matter where you are.

May I ask why?

I find the idea of a woman being assaulted and unable to defend herself much more scary.

I find the idea of a gun in one's crotch (especially a male crotch) more than a little frightening. I realize that you were probably hoping I'd launch into some ideological reply that would open the door for you to get up on a Constitutional soapbox, but really, it's just that the thought of a gun, um, there, kind of gives me pause.

ETA: and the name "Thunderwear" is just kind of icky, IMHO.

astrid

I find the idea of a gun in one's crotch (especially a male crotch) more than a little frightening. I realize that you were probably hoping I'd launch into some ideological reply that would open the door for you to get up on a Constitutional soapbox, but really, it's just that the thought of a gun, um, there, kind of gives me pause.

ETA: and the name "Thunderwear" is just kind of icky, IMHO.

astrid

No, there was no trap there, it was a simple question.

As a male I do not find the idea of a firearm in a holster there any more frightening than anywhere else. Now there are stories, possibly apocryphal, of gang members tucking a firearm down the front of their pants and doing the world a favor by mishandling said firearm and ensuring that they could not propagate, but those are possibly apocryphal.

As to the name, we probably agree on that.

No, there was no trap there, it was a simple question.

As a male I do not find the idea of a firearm in a holster there any more frightening than anywhere else. Now there are stories, possibly apocryphal, of gang members tucking a firearm down the front of their pants and doing the world a favor by mishandling said firearm and ensuring that they could not propagate, but those are possibly apocryphal.

As to the name, we probably agree on that .

We agree on BOTH counts-- gun in crotch of gang member AND icky name! :001_smile:

astrid

Yes, I think that when I'm armed, I am a bit more paranoid. I notice people's movements more, who is where, and who might be approaching me or my children. But I think it's very important for us to be more aware of our environment, *especially* when we have the kids with us, because you can't just take off running away from a perp when you have 3 or 4 kids in tow. The stakes are so much higher now that I'm a mom. We live in a nice neighborhood in a nice town in a rural area. But even here, there are drug addicts or gangs who have caused problems. I used to hate guns bc I didn't know much about them. But DH and I took a class together, got our permits, and now we go to the range together so we both know how to use our weapons well. DH, especially, spends a lot of time with the kids training them how to handle guns respectfully. Being armed isn't a perfect solution, but it's better than being defenseless.

:iagree:

I had a belt pack (also called a fanny pack) for my pistol. But I didn't care about the concealed as much, since I mainly needed a way to carry the gun on walks in the woods. It would not be a great way to carry in town, however.

Oh, and when I had a cc permit only my husband and father knew. There was just no need to tell anyone else.