Menu

So I went to the store with dc and someone asked the dumb ? "IS it a school holiday?"

and before I knew it I said, " OHHH my gosh I knew I forgot something. Dang it I hate when I forget to drop them off!" The lady just looked at me like I was from outer space and I walked off LOL

hth

lori

Sometimes it's just too hard to resist.

School let out here a couple of weeks ago, and over supper, DH raised his glass and said, "Well, you're in the suspicion-free season now. Enjoy!"

"We homeschool." Then you get the look. "You mean you homeschool all of them?!?" :ohmy: I always want to say, " No. Just the ones with potential."

That's a good one. I'll have to remember that as I have no qualms about making smart alec remarks to strangers that think they have the right to question me about things they know nothing. I don't mind if someone asks nicely but when they make snarky comments they can expect one in return. Sure the "Is it a school holiday" isn't really snarky but what makes them think they have the right to question people on it anyway?

and before I knew it I said, " OHHH my gosh I knew I forgot something. Dang it I hate when I forget to drop them off!" The lady just looked at me like I was from outer space and I walked off LOL

hth

lori

Oh my!! :lol: I wish I could have seen the look on her face! I soooo have to remember this next time we're out...

hth

lori

Now that is funny! :lol:

"We homeschool." Then you get the look. "You mean you homeschool all of them?!?" :ohmy: I always want to say, " No. Just the ones with potential."

That would be just great! The look you would get after that would be priceless.

"You mean you homeschool all of them?!?" :ohmy: I always want to say, " No. Just the ones with potential."

:smilielol5:This is actually something I could get away with saying, b/c my children have the kind of sense of humor that they'd "get it" and not take me seriously. I'm going to have to remember this for future reference.

School let out here a couple of weeks ago, and over supper, DH raised his glass and said, "Well, you're in the suspicion-free season now. Enjoy!"

This is how I feel! I think to myself, "okay, now I can go to the store early in the morning." But honestly, I'm so spoiled. I don't like the crowds at the library, shopping, parks, everything!! So there is a trade-off.

LOL! Good one! I generally look confused and say, "Gee, I don't know." Or, "It's not for us." Or, "I have no idea...."

Unfortunately, I usually really do have no idea. I'll show up at the store and wonder why it is so unusually crowded and it takes me a minute to figure out that it must be a school holiday. Probably because so many school holidays have very little relation to the actual date of the holiday (all the "observed" holidays).

I hope that we don't all assume someone has ill intent when they ask this? At least I have never encountered someone being unkind when I have been asked this question? It is usually just someone trying to offer up friendly conversation. Again, I am missing something.

Kim

I'm with you. I don't think it is a dumb question or that people who ask it are being rude.

I hope that we don't all assume someone has ill intent when they ask this? At least I have never encountered someone being unkind when I have been asked this question? It is usually just someone trying to offer up friendly conversation. Again, I am missing something.

Kim

Kim

I agree. We get this question all the time and I just honestly answer that we homeschool. Honestly, I think that snarky answers to simple, honest questions will only make hurt the reputation of homeschooling in the long run.

I'm with you. I don't think it is a dumb question or that people who ask it are being rude.

I agree. Everyone who has asked us this has just been making conversation or is curious. Then, when my kids tell them we homeschool, the reponses have all been neutral ("Oh") or positive. My kids tend to be very well-behaved when we go out and use good manners. (Now at home, that's a different story!!)

I actually had a woman follow me (FOLLOW ME!) in a store, and ask me, "WHY are your children not in school?" I told her it was a school holiday-which for us, it was. We were not even in the town where we lived when this happened, and she followed me down the aisles, saying, "I just don't get it. WHY do your children get today off, and mine don't?"

"We live in a different district..." I said, walking away.

"That makes no sense to me..." she continued.

I finally turned around and asked her why was she putting her nose into our business? I mean. This is unlike me, but after two aisle of badgering, I had given up on being polite. She huffed off. :P, I say. lol

Kim

I am actually proud to tell people we homeschool. I do not think it is a dumb question. I just hear it so often that I've gone to making up things in my mind. I can usually tell when they are being snarky (which has only happened a couple of times). I seriously want to walk through a store and say to someone with two kids "are they both yours?!?" just for fun. I'd never do it though. They wouldn't get it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, do say it next time. I want to know what sort of reaction you get!

I think tone of voice goes a long way to being able to tell if it is a small-talk kind of question or if it is a nosy busy-body kind of question.

Most of the time I get asked this it is innocent small talk and curiousity. But I was in a museum with my dc once when a lady came up to my son and said "Why aren't you in school today, young man?" in a very confrontational "I'm going to call the truant officer" kind of voice! That was not innocent small talk! I told her that in the future that if she had any questions she could direct them to me - the adult. Once I calmed down I wondered if she saw a lot of children playing hookey by going to the museum?!