Menu

1st Grade

spaceman

Because it'll feel good to get an early start on the curriculum obsessing... :)

What are you using for 1st grade?

Also...

Has anyone here used *real* Montessori equipment for math in elementary? (not rightstart or Shiller). If so, what guides did you use and where did you purchase your materials?

We're doing 1st grade now. We're using:

Math Mammoth (1B and 2A)

HWOT - 1st grade book

OPGTR - almost done

ETC - we're almost done with Book 3

AAS - we're almost done with 1

Scholastic GUM (free online)

McGraw-Hill Treasures Grammar (free online)

Scholastic Reading Comprehension - 2nd grade

We will be starting WWE1 soon.

We've been doing units for science using a mix of BFSU, RSO and lots of books and extras.

We'll be starting a US History and Geography unit soon using Intellego units and lots of books and extras.

My 1st grader's individual work is:

MEP

Miquon

Flashmaster

HWOT

WWE1

AAS1

some Bob books

Games for Learning

Lollipop Logic

Various Logic games

Memory Work (Both passages of scripture and poetry)

The other subjects are covered in our group time, and those items are listed in my sig. line.

MM 1a/1b/2a (we're midway through 1b now)

Miquon

ETC (almost done with book 3)

Beyond the Code

Draw, Write, Now (various books)

Lollipop Logic

FLL

WWE (will begin soon)

BFSU with lots of extra books, experiments, rabbit trails, etc.

Eclectic mix of history using SOTW + activity guides, tons of books on evolution and prehistory, pulling book ideas from several other curricula, Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, etc.

We do lots of art history by choosing one artist at a time and finding various material at the library.

Pottery classes, nature class, and choir outside of the home.

My eldest went to Montessori school for 1st grade. I've found a good bit of material at a reasonable price (for Monti) at several of the discount Monti sites. Michael Olaf is too much, as is Neinhaus. Google discount Montessori and you can see some places it's cheaper. There are people's Monti albums on the web you can use, too. It's hard to implement totally, without proper training, but the basics are there.

We use:

Phonics: Horizons (Alpha Omega)

Spelling: Horizons (AO) - frankly I hate this - am looking for something different for 2nd grade

Writing: WWE1

Grammar: FLL1

Math: Saxon 1 - I am in love with Saxon math

Science: Exploring Creation with Astronomy (Apologia) + the Jr. Notebook

Geography: USA -- nothing intense, just the flashcards & workbook I got at Target for $1 each

Bible: our church has a devotional they put together; also Abeka Bible Reader, and Doorposts stuff (Plants Grown Up)

Music: Piano Adventures (lessons 1x/wk)

PE: Swimming at the Y

Always reading library books of all sorts -- self-reading and read aloud. Lots of reading around here. :)

No "formal" history this year but we get that from the library. Honestly I think I messed up when I was roughing out our elementary plan...tried to line up our oldest with our youngest and was off a year. Not sweating it though!

I have a 1st grader this year. I'm following a relaxed homeschooling philosophy with her this year.

She's reading through My Father's World 1st Grade Bible Reader.

We're working thru Prairie Primer (which is a giant unit study) and reading through the Little House series.

She's doing Miquon and MEP Math (she's a math nut). We've checked out some living math books from the library. I follow Miquon's The First Grade Diary.

We're reading through Usborne's Time Traveler and doing activities from there. She likes this book a lot.

We're traditional for LA, so she is doing FLL, Writing with Ease 1 and she's going to start All About Spelling after the holidays.

Forgot to add: she's obsessed with wanting to learn cursive, so we started cursive this week. I use Teach Me Joy cursive sheets (that's what I use for the older kids).

Edited by starrbuck12

DS is doing a mix of K and 1st grade.

LA: Life Pac Grade 1

History/Geo: Life Pac Grade 1

Science: Life Pac Grade 1

Math: Horizons K

Bible: Life Pac Grade 1

Tons of read alouds

Lots of arts and crafts

I don't feel good about switching it up yet. I am afraid he will miss something if I do.

For "first grade" we are planning on:

• Continuing on with SM Standards. We'll be starting 1B in January...so we'll either be in 1B still or beginning 2A.
  • AAS. We are beginning level 2 in January as well. So either 2 or 3.
  • FLL 1
  • WWE
  • SOTW 1
  • BFSU or RSO (I am so far undecided)
  • Various books and read-alouds and crafts
  • It begs the mention that she will probably also tag along on her brother's stuff as I plan on starting FIAR with him next school year.

This summer we will probably drop back to reviewing AAS, keeping up with CWP and IP on the SM (and moving forward in the text if we need to), and then slowly adding in components we haven't done yet (FLL1, WWE, SOTW, and whatever science I choose) one at a time.

My 1st grader:

Math (Accelerated)

Teaching Textbooks 3 with Math Rider, Xtramath.org, &Times Tales DVD for fact reinforcement. Then we do some "white board time" to play with advanced problem-solving

Writing

Handwring Without Tears (Manuscript)

Writing With Ease 1

Evan-Moor's "Draw Then Write"

"White board time" to discuss grammar & spelling situationally (she's a natural reader and speller so I haven't found a need for a formal curriculum. Her older sis is starting FLL3 as a 3rd grader and she's entering into it just fine and it's still a lot of review even though I didn't use anything formal for 1st or 2nd grade grammar.)

History

Story of the World V.1

- frankly if she was my oldest or my only, it wouldn't be my choice. I have a 3rd grader and she is getting SO much out of it. My 1st grader is retaining *maybe* half of what my 3rd grader is. I know a lot of folks do SotW1 starting in first grade, but IMO it is not the ideal age for it. I spend extra time with her going over the basics, directional & map literacy, basic geography skills. If she were my only or oldest I'd probably do this and read A Children's History of the World only. (We read that as a supplement and she is more receptive to that than SotW, though it is less detailed.)

Science

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level 1.

We don't do this super regularly, but she loves it. She was also on a Junior Lego Robotics team which has basically been a two-hour weekly science class!

Plus, lots of read-alouds, literature, related to whatever else we are studying. And she reads a LOT (~10 chapter books a week) independently.

For my 1st grader this year:

LA: WWE1/FLL1, ETC 3, Beyond the Code 1, Spelling Workout A. We do some MCP phonics too. He is my kid that likes workbooks and needs drill.

Math: Singapore 1

Science: TWTM recommendations mainly - Animal Encyclopedia. We are also doing currently the Usborne Encyclopedia of Seas and Oceans as we live coastal. We had monarchs in our backyard so we took time off and did monarchs. Interest led, mainly animals right now. When he gets bored, we have BFSU 1 for him, going slowly. It gives a break from the animals. LOL Lapbooks on animals as he feels he wants. Nature studies out and about in the world.

History: Combined with his older brother - Modern era plus California state history. For him, we do lots of Native American tribe studies. He likes that part best. He joins with his brother when he wants to on SOTW 4 and some other more advanced spines and read-alouds. He is okay with the emotional content (a concern I known expressed in SOTW 4) but struggles with the vocab, and does not have a great conceptual understanding of timeline and global awareness. Local studies is more concrete for him right now. We are also doing basic map and globe skills.

Art: Hands on. He actually likes best when he does the preschool craft projects I have for my pre-K. He has some learn to draw things too.

Edited by WeeBeaks

Right Start B

literature from various lists (Sonlight, VP and others)

AAS 2 (we just finished 1)

HWT yellow printing book

RSO Life

SOTW 1

Evan-Moor Beginning Geography

We were doing FLL1, but neither DD nor I liked it, so I'm just incorporating the content into our other studies. We already do narration, picture study, poetry memorization and copywork, so all I really use is the actual grammar.

I will have a first grader next year .. that's kind of scarey and exciting .. I'll actually feel obligated to do something that looks a little more like school. lol I don't know what though! I'm thinking maybe Ambleside Online plus WWE (wherever he's up to), continue with FLL1/2 if he hasn't finished it by then, continue with studied dictation for spelling maybe, continue with our current math and delight directed science, some Latin. Hmm .. maybe. :)

I'm pretty happy with everything I'm using with my first grade DD. In addition to what's listed in my signature, she reads a vast assortment of books and will write two or three sentences about one of books in her reading response journal which also has a space at the top to draw a picture.

We will likely start 1st grade in February as mine have flown through Kinder. This is what I have planned.

Math: CLE 100 (we started this at the beginning of the month so we will keep plugging away at it.)

LA: Memoria Press 1st Grade plans (may switch out spelling to AAS or SWO or R&S grade 2)

Writing/Copywork: WWE 1

Handwriting: continue HWT Cursive

These others are maybes:

Grammar: FLL 1 (I haven't decided if it is necessary or not.)

Science: REAL Science Odyssey: Life

Art: Atelier Art Level 1

History/Geo: History Odyssey Level 1: Ancients

Edited by Guest

We are using Math U See Alpha, Abeka Grammar 1, WWE 1, Getty-Dubay Italic Book B, Wordly Wise 1, Apologia Science Zoology 3, American Revolution and other activities like working with word families and learning about the world map. My 1st grader last year worked out of the Brain Quest 2nd grade book too, and we both liked that :)

Edited by rocketgirl

We use Montessori math and my daughter has advanced to elementary level math and I am using a mix of the free albums here http://mondorfment.blogspot.com/2010/02/6-9-elementary-montessori-albums.html and here http://www.moteaco.com/albums.html, but honestly it is so much work that I am just switching to Rightstart C. With a two year old in tow, I need it all laid out for me with a script. :-P

Julie

http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

ds 4: AAS2, readers from library using SL lists, Montessori math (and Miquon and SM), eclectic science and history

ds 2 FIAR and B4FIAR

We are using:

Math: Singapore Math (just finished 1B & now starting 2A)

Phonics: Reading Reflex

Reading: Variety of readers (Sonlight and others)

Writing: Journal & copywork

Literature/History: Sonlight Core C/Core 2

Science: Using living books to study anatomy and botony

French: L'Art de Dire

Art: Drawing with Children

Here is what I have planned as of right now, although I keep going back and forth about whether I have too much...not enough...etc! Input gladly accepted!

History/literature-SL Core B (combining CHOW with SOTW and activities)

Science-NOEO Biology

Art/Music-Harmony Fine Arts 1, Piano

Writing-Writing with ease

Language Arts-FLL

Phonics-ETC

Bible-Telling God's Story

Handwriting-A Reason For Handwriting

Spelling-AAS