Menu

My 8 year old fainted today..do I need to call the doctor??

My 8 year old daughter got her ears pierced today. She was so excited. We were with my older college aged daughter. Right after, when we were waiting to pay, my little girl felt "blind" and said she was "walking funny" and collapsed in dd's arms and could not stand up. Dd took her outside to the bench and was sitting with her trying to get her to take some deep breaths and she just kept slumping over onto dds shoulders.

I got outside and dd8 was very nauseas and still really out of it. She was white as a ghost!

We were able to get her some ice water and she kept wanting to just sleep but we wouldn't let her.

I was about to call 911. I was a wreck. Dd's friend was with us and it happens to her a lot and she knew what to do.

After 30-45 min, my little girl started to perk up. It was a least 30 min before she could stand unassisted.

She is perfectly fine now and back to herself.

I just got home. Dh laughed and thinks it's a riot and I don't need to call the pedi. I'm wondering if I should since nothing like this has ever happened to dd before.

Should I??? Anyone here have a kid that has fainted before??

Julie

That has happened to me before, and my sister. Next time let her lay down with her head lower than her feet, or have her cough. It is a vagal response to stress. Her blood pressure dropped low, and she wasn't getting enough blood to the brain. The response is for the body to faint, so that you will lay down and get blood flow to the head again. Not a problem, but she needs to know what to do if/when it happens again. It only happens to me when I give blood.

My daughter has fainted twice. She has also almost fainted. All three times involved seeing blood.

The first time, she cut her finger while at a day time music camp. They called me and told me she fainted. I was scared senseless and drove like a maniac to go pick her up. There was some confusion in the message. She says she didn't totally faint. She was white as a sheet when I picked her up. She was also kind of out of it and didn't feel well.

The second time, she was at the pediatrician. Her sister was having blood drawn. She asked to go to the restroom because she was nauseous. I let her go across the hall. The nurse came in a moment later and told me she fainted. They let her rest and gave her a lollipop. She was very pale that day too.

The third time, she was at a friends house. She hurt her hand or finger.

I haven't taken her to the doctor for it. She has always seemed okay within 15 - 30 minutes.

Blessings to you and your daughter. I know it is scary!

Suzanne

That has happened to me before, and my sister. Next time let her lay down with her head lower than her feet, or have her cough. It is a vagal response to stress. Her blood pressure dropped low, and she wasn't getting enough blood to the brain. The response is for the body to faint, so that you will lay down and get blood flow to the head again. Not a problem, but she needs to know what to do if/when it happens again. It only happens to me when I give blood.

:iagree:

You might google the term "vasovagal syncope."

My husband and daughter have both struggled with it.

It's amazing how much more quickly an episode with resolve by putting the feet higher than the head.

I fainted at least 3x as a child/teen. Once I fainted while waiting in line to give blood. The hospital's a/c was broken so it was hot and the line was long. On the bright side, I came to surrounded by doctors and quickly learned that fainting moves you to the front of the line. :tongue_smilie: Plus, I got cookies and OJ without having to give blood at all. I guess they figured I needed all I had at that point. :lol:

My 11 year old nearly fainted-she flopped over onto a chair-while watching a vet procedure this past summer. She was clammy and pale and would have passed completely out except that one of the vet techs saw her about to go over and got her sat down. It took her a while to get back to normal. Pretty unexpected, she has seen so much more graphic things than she saw that day but something about it really bothered her! She got a little if-y when she got her ears pierced too.

My DD got her ears pierced in February, and four weeks later we had to change her earrings for a dance competition- we knew it was a bit early for changing earrings, but didn't have much of a choice. We changed earrings no problem, then DD slept in those earrings and we went to change them the next morning back into her studs. I'd JUST gotten the studs put back in when she collapsed in my arms. Totally freaked me out. I had her lie on the floor for a while and checked her stats, which all seemed totally normal.

My SIL told me that she used to faint when she changed earrings as a young girl. It happened to her several times before she got used to it and stopped fainting.

So I would chalk it up to the ear piercing, but keep an eye out.

My DD has *almost* fainted a few times.

The first time I noticed was 2 years ago when she got a few vaccinations. When we were leaving the Dr. office, I noticed that her lips were completely white. She was a little dazed, I got her some ice cream and she was fine.

Then a little over a year ago, we all went to get flu shots and the same thing happened.

A couple weeks after that, she got her ears pierced. By the time I was paying, she was completely white and saying she wanted to go to sleep. I was able to get her to the car and get her something to eat and she was fine.

I didn't take her to the dr., I did talk to my SIL (a P.A.) and decided it wasn't a big deal.

A few minutes ago, she fell down a few steps. She *says* her legs gave out. I don't know if she just slipped or what. I was in the other room but it was quite a thud. She wasn't pale and lethargic this time and she seems ok now again.

My heart jumped a beat. *I* almost passed out! LOL

I am going to be by her side the rest of the day.

I'm assuming it was nothing. It was just really strange!

Julie

Just keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating and drinking enough. My oldest son does this every time he has to have immunizations or a blood draw. Good thing he's a pretty healthy kid so he only has to have things done maybe once a year. It was really scary the first time though. This last time it was a blood draw and my dh was able to come with us. He didn't believe me about the fainting, but then sure enough once the blood started flowing into the collection vial, down he went. I was prepared and standing right there to steady him, and keep him from falling out of the chair. My dh couldn't help but start laughing. I think it's because my son gets so worked up about the needle poke that when it's finally done, his adrenaline bottoms out and it's too much of a change for his system.

I hope your dd feels better soon.

I fainted, and came close to fainting, many times as a child. It was always due to heat. I can still remember the awful feeling of being "blind". I must have outgrown this because it hasn't happened since I was a teen. I've always had low blood pressure and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

Did you dd seem anxious, nervous, or scared about getting her ears pierced? I would think that would have contributed to it.

I fainted, and came close to fainting, many times as a child. It was always due to heat. I can still remember the awful feeling of being "blind". I must have outgrown this because it hasn't happened since I was a teen. I've always had low blood pressure and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

Did you dd seem anxious, nervous, or scared about getting her ears pierced? I would think that would have contributed to it.

She was very nervous when we got there. When she got in the chair, she started crying right before they did it. She had both done at the same time. This was her birthday present from dd, 19. She's wanted her ears pierced for 3 years now and we finally decided to allowed it.

She was excited and nervous.

She's been PETRIFIED before at the dentist before a filling, at the hospital getting a needle etc...this has never happened before.

It scared me so much to see her white as a ghost like that.

She was very nervous when we got there. When she got in the chair, she started crying right before they did it. She had both done at the same time. This was her birthday present from dd, 19. She's wanted her ears pierced for 3 years now and we finally decided to allowed it.

She was excited and nervous.

She's been PETRIFIED before at the dentist before a filling, at the hospital getting a needle etc...this has never happened before.

It scared me so much to see her white as a ghost like that.

Awwww....poor little girl. My dd is 8 too, and I can just imagine her reacting the very same.

By the way, you'll need to change your signature. You have an 8 year old dd now. :D

Did you get her head down straight away when she was feeling faint? If she stayed more upright it would take longer for her to feel better. Fainting is the body's protection to get more blood/oxygen to the brain - makes you fall down so easier for blood to flow to head. If she feels at all like it again I would immediately get her to lay down or put her head down. It is a freaky feeling and when I almost fainted as an adult, watching a pacemaker insertion as a student nurse, I felt weird for some time and kind of scared it was going to happen suddenly again.

I would agree with all the pp's that it was stress related and I wouldnt worry unless it happened again.

On the humourous side of fainting, when I was 18 I flew over to the UK to meet my fiance's parents. The day we arrived I was sat in the kitchen using a pair of scissors for something and sliced my finger. I then passed out cold on her floor. I hadn't even really had a chance to say hello before I passed out on my future MIL's kitchen floor. I can laugh about it now, but I thought I was going to die of embarassment that day. I still have a scar on my finger from the cut.

I remember passing out in a store when I was 10 or 11. Mother got me a cup of tea and put a bunch of sugar in it. I was fine after a while. It was the only time this happened and it never happened again. My mother figures it was just to crowded in the store and I had been sick a couple days before.

My daughter fainted the first time when she was eight and was taking out her earring for the first time. She was in the bathroom looking in the mirror and luckily I was right behind her and was able to catch her. Freaked me out.

The second time she passed out was in the movie theatre watching Soul Surfer (she was 9). It scared her not knowing what was happening but she hasn't had an episode since. I wasn't quite as freaked that time because I sort of knew what was happening but it isn't fun. :tongue_smilie:

Now I know why I fainted after giving blood in high school. Thanks!

My 8 year old daughter got her ears pierced today. She was so excited. We were with my older college aged daughter. Right after, when we were waiting to pay, my little girl felt "blind" and said she was "walking funny" and collapsed in dd's arms and could not stand up. Dd took her outside to the bench and was sitting with her trying to get her to take some deep breaths and she just kept slumping over onto dds shoulders.

I got outside and dd8 was very nauseas and still really out of it. She was white as a ghost!

We were able to get her some ice water and she kept wanting to just sleep but we wouldn't let her.

I was about to call 911. I was a wreck. Dd's friend was with us and it happens to her a lot and she knew what to do.

After 30-45 min, my little girl started to perk up. It was a least 30 min before she could stand unassisted.

She is perfectly fine now and back to herself.

I just got home. Dh laughed and thinks it's a riot and I don't need to call the pedi. I'm wondering if I should since nothing like this has ever happened to dd before.

Should I??? Anyone here have a kid that has fainted before??

Julie

I fainted when I got my ears pierced. I was 12, and felt just like she described. I blacked out, felt dizzy and then went down. Fortunately, I was sitting in a restaurant booth by the time it happened.

That was the first time I fainted, but not the last. I've passed out just about every time I've been stuck with a needle (many many times at the dentist :sleep:) including once at a high school blood drive.

It's embarrassing and annoying. No doctor has ever found anything wrong with me, and only one was ever alarmed enough to run tests. I passed out on him while he was removing plantar warts from the bottom of one foot. I was repeatedly being stuck with a needle and it HURT.

My then-6yo son almost fainted when the sitter was reading him an educational book on the human body last year... rofl. No big to me - I fainted or got woozy-almost-fainted a LOT as a youngster and even up to before I had kids as an adult due to low iron (wasn't allowed to donate blood most of my life, either, unless I prepped for awhile before-hand).

I agree it does sound like vasovagal syncope. But lots of kids do it once or twice then never again. It's only a problem if it becomes a regular thing. My son has had a couple of hundred episodes and he is 3. It's the same thing that can make people faint at the sight of blood and things like that. I know a few kids who have blacked out once and then never again, that is quite common.

You might google the term "vasovagal syncope."

My husband and daughter have both struggled with it.

It's amazing how much more quickly an episode with resolve by putting the feet higher than the head.

My little guy has a severe case of this. Without the instructions they gave and the medication, he would be fainting all the time. His first time was when he was 8, but it is usually boys who have it, from what I understand.

I wouldn't worry about her fainting once though, and especially with cause.

Because it was after getting her ears pierced, I think she is just going to have a "light stomach." I fainted after that, and after anything else involving blood or pain.

Either way, I agree that someone who faints needs to lie down with their feet raised.

Call. Yes, it's almost assuredly just "vasovagal syncope" as someone else said, but it's good to go and discuss it with the doctor and make sure there's no reason to look at any other elements of what happened and rule out anything more serious.

My son does this. In his case, it's not an indication of a major medical problem, and we've just had to learn some ways of reducing the likelihood of it happening. But it's definitely worth confirming that that's all it is.